mic to grill cloth distance

Author
Bob Abrams
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 72
2005/08/24 09:56:17 (permalink)

mic to grill cloth distance

What is the rationale for choosing a mic-to-grill cloth distance when recording tones with very long wave lengths? I'm home-bound for a while and have decided to layer double bass tracks onto bass-less tunes that friends have sent me (Digimax, MOTU 828, SONAR 4 P). After some experimentation with G-K line outs and DI out and micing my bass, I get the best sound when I mic the G-K directly. Since I am playing in my rec room I need to get pretty close to the G-K to avoid resonances in the room. In an ideal situation, what would one choose for the best distance? I'm using aSennheiser e835. Thanks.

13 Replies Related Threads

nprime
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2423
    RE: mic to grill cloth distance 2005/08/24 13:01:51 (permalink)
    In the end, it's what sounds good.

I'd start out touching the cloth and move back in small increments until you hear what you like.

This can be done much more quickly if you can get one person to play and another to move the mic while you sit the control room and listen.

Failing that, you will have to "record, move mic, record, move mic, etc." until you find the magic spot.

As an alternative, record the siganl straight in and send the recorded signal to the amp and "re-mic" the signal going thru the amp, record to another track, repeat with different mic placement, etc.... this gives you more flexiblilty.

R
    post edited by nprime - 2005/08/24 13:10:03

Listen

Sonar 5PE
    Intel DP35DP, E6750, 3 GB, 80GB/320 GB
    Scope (6 DSP) w/A16 interface
    PadKontrol, Legacy Series MS20, EZDrummer.
    Kicker
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 477
    RE: mic to grill cloth distance 2005/08/24 13:52:28 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Bob Abrams

What is the rationale for choosing a mic-to-grill cloth distance when recording tones with very long wave lengths?

Short or long wavelengths by themselves don't dictate where you have to place the microphone when mic'ing a cabinet. Especially for bass guitar, you want to eliminate a lot of the room sound. If you are biamping the bass with a 15 and 4 10"s, then you probably want to move the mic back far enough to pick up both sounds. Even better is to mic each cabiinet separately.
    lucky dog
    • Total Posts : 96
    RE: mic to grill cloth distance 2005/08/24 15:55:32 (permalink)

What is the rationale for choosing a mic-to-grill cloth distance when recording tones with very long wave lengths?

According to Studio Buddy (free download from www.taxi.com) :

"Rule of tumb, the closer your mic is to the amp, the more attack and edge you will hear. Farther away will give you more bottom end."

If your amp has a line out you could record both the mic'd signal and the direct signal at the same time. This is what I prefer to do. Send the line out signal and the mic'd signal to two different tracks. When your finished recording,mix the two bass tracks to taste.
    Hope that answers your question.

Rick
    yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: mic to grill cloth distance 2005/08/24 15:57:51 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: nprime

Word. There is no official rule. It depends on the sound coming out of the amp and what you want to capture.

It is correct to think that bass amps are usually miked further away than guitar amps are, but that doesn't mean that that's the right approach for any particular situation.

Some things that have worked for me:

A boundary mic on the floor a foot or two in front of the bass amp, which is also on the floor. A regular side-capture mic placed 1/4" off the floor with the capsule pointed towards the bass cone works just as good. This is good in bad rooms, because you are getting very little reflected sound, since the mic is in the exact spot where the sound is getting reflected. It does a pretty good job of capturing the way the bass actually sounds to listeners in the room. Pretty good generic approach to bass. Whether the floor is hard or carpeted makes a big difference and is worth experimenting with. A neat alternative can be to angle a plywood plank in front of the bass cab and use that as your "boundary." Just rest it on a chair at like a 45 degree angle or whatever and get the mic as close as possible to the "boundary." Experiment with mic and boundary distances and angles.

Put the amp off the floor near the center of the room on chairs or a table and put the mic a a foot or two in front of it. This gives a good "full" sound and often works well in conjunction with a phase-corrected DI sound. keeping everything in the middle of the space smooths out some of the resonance problems. Good for old-school "big bottom" sounds.

A mic right in the grill cloth gives a very stringy, present, guitar-like sound that can be effective for distorted, compressed, or aggressive bass sounds that are supposed to be "in your face" but for which a DI signal sounds too clean or wimpy. Good for burpy slap-style bass or picky punk-style "riff" basslines that need to compete with the guitars.

The thing with all of these is that a difference in placement of a couple inches can be huge. The best way to experiment is to have one person playing the bass, another person in the control room listening to the sound from the monitors, and a third person in the room moving the mic around at the instruction of the control room engineer. A relatively experienced engineer can get a great sound in about 20 minutes this way.

Obviously, this requires three people, two rooms, and a talkback system. If you don't have all that, then you'll either need to settle for second-best, or you'll need to put more time and ingenuity into the job.

If you can get a helper to move the mic while you play and listen on headphones with good isolation, or while you play from the next room and communicate via walkie-talkie, you can get pretty close. Or you can do a whole lot of recording takes announcing things like "mic 18 inches in front of cab, 30 degrees off-axis, mic and cab 30 inches off floor," into the mic before each pass and then evaluate them later. Another thing you could do is to record a loop of the bassline direct and then play it back over and over, and then send the recording out to the bass cab while you walk around the room with a mic and a pair of headphones with good isolation and find the best spot. You can either use this "reamped" sound as your take, or you could note the best location and re-record the bassline through the amp.

Bear in mind that this is a big part of the reason that many home recordists, and even many big studios just go direct. Have fun and good luck either way.

Cheers.

Bob Abrams
    RE: mic to grill cloth distance 2005/08/24 16:03:43 (permalink)
    Right on! I had heard about micing and line out combos but hadn't tried them yet. And, Kicker from Ft. Lauderdale, do you have a web site or a place of business? I live over in Davie.

Where did I get the idea that an ideal placement of mic, in the studio at least, is 12-18 inches? Is this based on some attributes of the acoustics of the studio, or a trial and error type approach for the "right" sound? Coming from a biophysics background I seem to be interested in these esoteric details.
    Bob Abrams
    RE: mic to grill cloth distance 2005/08/24 16:10:51 (permalink)
    Thanks, Yep. Your very instructive message and my last one above crossed in transit. It is very gratifying to have someone take time to explain things in detail, and I appreciate it very much.
    Kicker
    RE: mic to grill cloth distance 2005/08/24 21:01:04 (permalink)

Right on! I had heard about micing and line out combos but hadn't tried them yet. And, Kicker from Ft. Lauderdale, do you have a web site or a place of business? I live over in Davie.

Where did I get the idea that an ideal placement of mic, in the studio at least, is 12-18 inches? Is this based on some attributes of the acoustics of the studio, or a trial and error type approach for the "right" sound? Coming from a biophysics background I seem to be interested in these esoteric details.

Of course, the ideal placement is wherever it sounds best! With a biophysics background, you can probably picture what it would be like to integrate the 3-dimensional waveforms coming from multiple speakers on paper... YUCK! It takes a lot less time to fiddle with the mic placement.

The principles for micing cabinets are rather plain compared to the calculus. In general, you want to "close mic" speaker cabinets because the guitarist or bassist has probably worked out his favorite tone over many years of experimenting. So you want to capture that sound before early reflections and standing waves have a chance to interfere with the original wave (it's much better to be incoherent in an acoustical sense!).

It also depends on the microphone that you are using. Some cannot handle the large SPL coming from a loud cabinet, so you would have to move it a little further away. You will know when your microphone is too close because the diaphram on dynamic mics will "bottom out" and you will get low frequency pops. Condenser mics are more fragile and you stand a fair chance of destroying them if you go too high on the SPL.

Luckily, bass amplifiers aren't pushed hard like guitar tube amplifiers, so you can pretty much turn down the volume without changing the tone.

There is also the pickup pattern of the microphone to consider. Cardoids and uni-directional microphones do well with cabinets.

Additionally there is the x-y placement of the mic in relation to the center of the speaker cone. In general, orienting the microphone so that it is perpendicular to the edge of the speaker will de-emphasize the harmonics more than pointing it at the center.

Another little piece of advice is to place the amp on a rubber mat or a chair. When the cabinet is on the floor and the microphone stand is on the floor, some bass frequencies will resonate through the floor and through the stand and arrive at the microphone before the sound travelling through the air. This will interfere with the original wave in unpredictable ways.

The tried and true method is to stick your head in front of the speaker while the guy is warming up and find a spot that sounds good. Then try a few different microphones until you hit on the one that sounds best. Piece of cake!

- Keith

P.S. I don't do this for a living. I'm guy in a band with a regular day job to pay for the wonderful toys. Shoot me an email at kickerthreezeroeighttwo_at_hotmail.com. (Replace words with digits).
    codashome
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: mic to grill cloth distance 2005/08/24 21:09:45 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: yep

ORIGINAL: nprime

Word. There is no official rule. It depends on the sound coming out of the amp and what you want to capture.

It is correct to think that bass amps are usually miked further away than guitar amps are, but that doesn't mean that that's the right approach for any particular situation.

I have a farly large live room (17 x 30 x 11), yet I still find that a DI works really well with my Fender. Well, it's a SansAmp Bass DI, so it has a bit more control than a passive DI. However, years ago we used to build tunnels in front of the bass amp with chairs, mic stands, what ever would hold up packing quilts to give some isolation against room resonances. This might work in your overdub situation, but really does nothing in a full band situation. My mentor suggested putting one mic on the grill, to pick up the sharp attack, and another at least 10 feet away to pick up the truer low end. He warned against phasing problems caused by placing mics a half wave apart (10 ft being about a half wave of 50 Hz, roughly low G).

I am a bit jealous, Bob. Not only do you have the time to experiment, but you have a double bass. I had to sell mine about 20 years ago to make rent.
    yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: mic to grill cloth distance 2005/08/25 10:10:40 (permalink)
    ...Where did I get the idea that an ideal placement of mic, in the studio at least, is 12-18 inches? Is this based on some attributes of the acoustics of the studio, or a trial and error type approach for the "right" sound?...

A little of both.

A theoretical "best place" to put an omnidirectional mic is in the best seat in the house in a well-designed concert hall, and if you goal is to get pristine recordings, that is often a good way to go. A lot of orchetral music is recorded something like this.

But in most recordings of rock, pop, hip hop, R&B, country, and so on, the producer makes the decision to forego this kind of authenticity in favor of having more control over the final sound, and so you get multitracking, close-miking, artificial signal processing, and so on. Indeed, a lot of the "sound" of contemporary popular music could never be created WITHOUT these techniques (think the whispering singer over a rock band, or the arpeggiated acoustic guitar that plays right alongside an overdriven marshall stack, or a crooning soul singer accompanied by a pounding drum loop and full orchestration...

The thing about these kinds of "studio" mic techniques is that they tend to call for good isolation of the source signal. If you have a mic that is picking up the feroucious drums AND the whispering singer, then you cannot turn up the singer without turning the drums up even louder (this was the topic of a recent thread, actually).

So how do you achieve "good" isolation? By using directional mics that only record what they're pointed at, and by putting them close to the source. This way, the mics are (hopefully) only getting the indended source sound, and not picking any other instruments, nor are they picking up excessive ambient information that might conflict with ambience captured on other tracks, or with the producer's intentions.

But using directional mics at close-range has a host of phase- and psychoacoustics-related side-effects that are collectively referred to as the "proximity effect." The "proximity effect" usually manifests itself as an increased low-end and prescence-range, and as an artificially close and "recorded" sound. Especially with singers, mouth and breath noises become prominent, and the mic starts to react not just to changes in air PRESSURE (soundwaves), but also to actual moving air (wind) from the singer or instrument soundhole or that kind of thing.

This proximity effect is not a bad thing, it's just a thing, and can be used to advantage from time to time.

As far as the original question about the "magic" distance of 12-18 inches, care to guess how close a directional mic can usually get to a sound source before the "proximity effect" starts to become apparent?

Cheers.
    krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    RE: mic to grill cloth distance 2005/08/26 10:29:31 (permalink)
    Hey something I picked up recently that has since served me well in some situations:

I had a client in not too long ago with one of those little cheezy 15 watt Marshall amps. He insisted on placing an SM57 about 2 inches back from the amp and pointing at the cabinet just outside the perimeter of the speaker. When I first saw that I thought the mic had gotten knocked out of position and tried moving it towards the speaker but he stopped me and insisted his way was better. I shrugged it off and decided to humor him.

Sure enough - it sounded great. Nice and warm. So try that. Don't aim it at the speaker - aim it at the cabinet or somewhere else. Interesting mic technique.

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    Kicker
    RE: mic to grill cloth distance 2005/08/26 11:05:51 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: krizrox
    I had a client in not too long ago with one of those little cheezy 15 watt Marshall amps.

Nothin' cheesy about those little 18 watt combos. Pure tube tone in a tight package.

Of course, you won't impress groupies with the size of your amp. But they say it's all in the technique.
    krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    RE: mic to grill cloth distance 2005/08/26 13:08:39 (permalink)
    This was a solid state Marshall. But it still sounded nice. Even better than my 100 Watt Valvestate.

Sorry to go off topic - I tried out a 20 watt tube Hughes & Kettner a few days ago. Also nice. But I thought it had better clean tones than distorted tones (although they were ok). It really came to life when I dialed back the distortion and switched to the neck pickup on my Les Paul. You could really hear that glassy warm "woman" tone. Sweet.

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    Steve_Karl
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2534
    RE: mic to grill cloth distance 2005/09/17 03:57:45 (permalink)
    I always used to pull the grill cloth off and get it inside the cone about 1/4" away from the ribs on the speaker.
    S

Steve Karl
    https://soundcloud.com/steve_karl
    SPLAT 2017.01
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1