midi disabled on a-x00 PRO whenever USB is plugged int

Author
userzweig
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2011/09/06 23:51:25 (permalink)

midi disabled on a-x00 PRO whenever USB is plugged int

I have a Cakewalk A-300 Pro.  I like to program it to be an interface to a midi module.   I set up the sliders to be organ drawbars, and add some switches for leslie and other voices and things.  (Incidentally, the drawbar simulation can only be done in the editor because the sense must be reversed by making the min 128 and the max 0, so that pulling a slider out is like pulling a real drawbar out (the midi value increases instead of decreases, and I like to make drawbar controller #1 expression and then I put midi drawbar #1 on A9 rotary).

My problem is that this is difficult, because if you hook it up to the editor via USB, you actually have to unhook the USB afterwards in order to send any midi signals to the midi module in order to see if it worked!

As I see it, if USB is connected, then it will not send out any midi signals at all.

This is true even if a DC power adapter is connected (so it has plenty of power), and even if the switch is set to DC: as soon as a (powered) USB connector is inserted into the A-300 A-500 A-800, MIDI no longer functions.  MIDI in and MIDI are both totally disabled.  Your module will not respond to the controller input.  (I must admit it took me a while to figure out that this particular idiosyncrasy is at fault).

I can see how it might be an engineering challenge to get MIDI working while USB is connected, but it seems to me that MIDI out (at least) should always function in an alleged programmable MIDI controller.

My solution is to pull out the USB connector when I test my patches, and then to put it back in again when I want to do some more editing.   Personally, I think 21st century devices should work better than this. 

First, I'll try and see if there is a firmware update, but I haven't seen it.   The MIDI disable on USB power might be hard wired.  I hope not, because this could be a nice keyboard otherwise.

post edited by userzweig - 2011/09/07 01:51:35

1 Reply Related Threads

A300 User
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:midi disabled on a-x00 PRO whenever USB is plugged int 2011/09/20 01:29:21 (permalink)
    A-300 PRO - MIDI INTERFACE FAILURE I have a similar problem. I also use the USB connection to PC, and I've never been able to use the MIDI interface on the A-300 to receive MIDI from the PC via USB and pass it on to an external device via the A-300's MIDI OUT. I've tested the connections using two other (non-Roland) devices to act as USB-to-MIDI interfaces and they function perfectly. I.e. every other link in the MIDI signal chain has been tested and is ok. The problem MUST BE either in the A-300 drivers, or the A-300 hardware. Likewise, when MIDI MERGE Mode is switched on and enabled, nothing received at the A-300's MIDI IN is passed on to the A-300's MIDI OUT. Since this doesn't use the A-300 PC drivers, the problem must be in the A-300 hardware. Other than that, I quite like the A-300 Pro, and I can work around the fault by using another non-Roland USB-MIDI interface, but I wish there was a firmware update to fix its MIDI port problems.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1