jimmyman
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2193
2009/07/10 16:20:32 (permalink)

midi guitar

many years ago a freind had a midi guitar converter
that just plugged in the guitar or a pickup or something
but at that time it tracked very slow amd the sounds
(sounding like the real thing such as a piano) were not good.

i just wonder if in todays times you could use a midi
guitar to make some nice sounds like horns bass piano
and such

11 Replies Related Threads

Andrew G
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 70
    RE: midi guitar 2009/07/10 16:32:00 (permalink)
    I'd imagine you could get some good results with brass instruments, particularly by bending strings etc to give nuances to the performance. Basses should work pretty well too, you'd expect. Not too convinced about how a piano triggered from a midi guitar would sound though.

Q6600, Windows 7, FA-66, Sonar 8.5.2 Producer, Rapture, Komplete 5, SD2.2 with New York and Metal Foundry SDX, Nocturn, Remote Zero, KRK 6's, Fantom X8, V-Synth V2, TD-9K, Guitars. Anyone know where I can get some talent?!
    CreatingNoise
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1666
    RE: midi guitar 2009/07/10 16:34:17 (permalink)
    you most certainly can do that these days. You can use a Roland GK-2A applied pickup with a Roland guitar synth or a MIDI converter box (Also available from Axon).

If you go the Lindale Project down in my sig and listen to the songs Almost Funky and One for a Sun, you will hear guitar synth in those. Also the fretless bass sound in the song, The Fool is guitar synth too.

Storm
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 808
    RE: midi guitar 2009/07/10 16:57:48 (permalink)
    This converter is supposed to be pretty good to also just let you use a regular guitar now.

http://www.audiomidi.com/G2M-Converter-P12359.aspx
    rstollen
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1561
    RE: midi guitar 2009/07/10 20:04:43 (permalink)
    Hmm, I just checked that SONUUS G2M Converter you linked to. I've been using a GK-2 pickup for almost 20 years, and I'm a bit skeptical on the Sonuus. But if it's good, that would be exciting stuff.

8.5.1 PE, i7 920, GA-EX58-UD4P, 6gb Corsair DDR3, 2 x Barracuda 500gb, HIS Radeon GS-4670 Fanless 1gb DDR3, XP Pro SP3, dual 24" monitors, Axiom 61, Korg Triton Pro, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, VG-99, Yamaha MSP5, Fostex PM0.5
    JV
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 476
    RE: midi guitar 2009/07/14 04:04:49 (permalink)
    I have a Roland gr-33 and it sounds great, BuuuuuuuT..........it is late. Like in latency. But if you use it with audio snap, you can line it up. There are MANY good sounds on it. Just frickin late. The only way I could see using it live was when I add the guitar sound WITH IT, that way the guitar hits ON TIME and the latency of the MIDI is not really noticed if you ballance the 2 together.

JV
    "You can't soar with Eagles when you're flyin with Buzzards"
    95svtcobra
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: midi guitar 2009/07/14 12:55:49 (permalink)
    There are a couple things going on here.

There a hex based pickups which generate a signal for each string. Those let you do all kinds of things like split the strings into zones by fret and velocity. For that you would typically need an interface (13 pin Roland usually) such as the Roland VG system (just tones and models) or AXON / Roland / Yamaha guitar to midi converter.

The older Roland V-Guitar and V-bass don't include the guitar to midi converters, so you are stuck with the modeling / sounds on-board. The newer V series, I believe has the G to Midi converters built in.

The system mentioned above for about $100 is a monophonic meaning 1 tone at a time. It's pitch to midi converter which, while functional for bass, is pretty tough to use well on guitar.

The other cool thing about getting a hex pickup and g to midi controller, is now the instrument is a fully functional midi device. With the advanced systems they can be set up as midi controllers for most parameters. You can get some crazy stuff going with the right set ups...

I'm currently using an older GK-2 bass pick-up with the Yamaha G-50 converter and a Roland V-bass. I also use a Godin bass with synth access (pickup is built right into the instrument). Works pretty well, but a lot of it is based on clean techniques.

Jeff

Sonar 8 Producer
    Sonica Labs DAW

Studio STILL under construction....
    rstollen
    RE: midi guitar 2009/07/14 15:25:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: 95svtcobra
    The newer V series, I believe has the G to Midi converters built in.

Hi Jeff

I own a VG-99, and yes, it has a guitar-to-midi converter built in. BUT, to me it does not seem to track any better (faster) than the converter in my ancient GR-1 (it has a midi out). Seems like a common issue in the VG forums. However, for using the models in the VG, the tracking is excellent.

However, there's a lot to be said for properly adjusting the hex pickup.

8.5.1 PE, i7 920, GA-EX58-UD4P, 6gb Corsair DDR3, 2 x Barracuda 500gb, HIS Radeon GS-4670 Fanless 1gb DDR3, XP Pro SP3, dual 24" monitors, Axiom 61, Korg Triton Pro, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, VG-99, Yamaha MSP5, Fostex PM0.5
    ebabes13
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 98
    RE: midi guitar 2009/07/14 15:57:13 (permalink)
    i highly recommend the graph test ghost system

http://www.graphtech.com/products.html?CategoryID=2

they are factory installed in godin and carvin guitars or you can install it yourself. i think they track incredibly well
    rstollen
    RE: midi guitar 2009/07/14 16:20:34 (permalink)
    Yeah - I'm seriously considering the Ghost system in my next guitar build.

Griff The Riff
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: midi guitar 2009/08/05 20:03:32 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: 95svtcobra
    The newer V series, I believe has the G to Midi converters built in.

Hi Jeff

I own a VG-99, and yes, it has a guitar-to-midi converter built in. BUT, to me it does not seem to track any better (faster) than the converter in my ancient GR-1 (it has a midi out). Seems like a common issue in the VG forums. However, for using the models in the VG, the tracking is excellent.

However, there's a lot to be said for properly adjusting the hex pickup.

Hi

I've been MIDI since 1988 and still have my original Casio MG500. 

Now i mainly use a strat with a Roland GK3, although i have an acoustic, another strat and a Line 6 variax, all with GK2 pickups.  I use a VG99, VG8, GR 30 and Axon AX100 mk11 with a Roland 4 way splitter (not complicated at all lol) and tracking has always been OK.  Spot on for the VG gear and acceptable on the synths (they work differently). 

Today i did a firmware upgrade on my axon and whilst matching my main strat back to it and optimising it i went to town on the pickup set up.  My god, what a difference.  I can pick, pluck and strum with (almost) total freedom.  Until now my synths have been used to add padding to the sound or for some solo's.  Tomorrow i'll start to re-think my whole aproach.

There is a hell of a lot to be said for a properly adjusted hex pickup :o)

Griff

wst3
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1979
    RE: midi guitar 2009/08/07 08:28:03 (permalink)
    a little late to the party...

I use a handful of systems to convert guitar playing to MIDI data. For the most part I use the guitar as a MIDI controller for solo instruments such as woodwinds, brass, and orchestral strings - pretty much everything but keyboards, drums, and guitars come to think of it<G>! I'm not a great keyboard player, so I find that often I get a more expressive, and realistic performance by using the guitar as a controller.

One of the really unusual applications I use is three strings for a three-part horn section, high E is trumpet, B is sax, and G is trombone, then I can play all sorts of three note chords to get a pseudo-horn section. The spacing is fixed, so I  can't get really tight clusters, and I'm limited for octaves, so no, it isn't going to replace writing a sequencing a really great horn chart, but it is fun!

To get from guitar to MIDI I use two different systems:
    1) if I'm feeling particularly patient I still have a Yamaha G10/G10C - it takes some time to get it tweaked, and using six of the same string - no two of which are in tune - is frustrating for me. But when it works the results are remarkable.
    2) my primary converter remains my Kramer/Digitech/IVL Pitchrider 7000. I won't begin to claim that it tracks faster than modern converters, but I am so used to it that I kust know where the problems lie, and I can get around them. I seldom drive it from the factory pickup, instead I use either a GK1 or a GK2 driving a GR-300. I pick up the individual string signals at the output of the per-string compressors in the GR-300. Don't laugh, it works pretty well.

I do have a VG-8EX, and I really love it. I spent some time with the VG-99, and if the MIDI output had blown me away I'd have upgraded, but it didn't.

I have used most (probably all) of the Roland stand-alone converters, and I've been tempted to grab a GM-70 or a GI-10 or 20, but thus far I haven't been overwhelmed with the need to do so<G>! Of the bunch the one I had the best results with was the GI-10.

I've also tried the GR-xx synths, and their internal tracking, especially the GR-30, is great, but the MIDI out always seems to lag, and that tends to be frustrating.

I'd love to have time to spend with an Axon and some of the others... perhaps one day!

All in all I'd say that even the slightly older Guitar-to-MIDI converters can work well enough to be worth experimenting with. Three things to keep in mind (all of which have been mentioned already but are worthy of the repeat):
    1) the pickup makes all the difference in the world, and there are big differences between magnetic and piezo-electric, and within either category there are differences between manufacturers and models! You will need to try a couple.
    2) the guitar set up can have an even bigger impact. Don't automatically stick the pickup next to the bridge and assume that's as good as it gets! I have a couple of guitars where tracking improved dramatically when I moved the pickup to a spot closer to the neck. Pickup height plays a role too! Setup will require some patience. Once you find the optimal spot anchor that puppy!
    3) you are no longer playing the guitar... your technique needs to adjust to this new endeavor.

Have fun!

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1