mix #1 "Trouble" - final mixes for new album

Author
batsbrew
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10037
2017/06/22 17:05:27 (permalink)

mix #1 "Trouble" - final mixes for new album

https://soundcloud.com/bats-brew/trouble-mix-1

i've got 10 songs almost finished for a new album release.
any suggestions on final tweaks, eq issues, translation issues, etc, are appreciated.

this is mix #1 of this song.

i'll only leave these up a few days each.

Issues:
i'm on the fence about using verb on this one, versus mixing it bone dry.
i gravitate towards the verb, because it smooths things out nicely.....
but i think a modern approach to this would be...... more modern.
LOL
ideas?

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

20 Replies Related Threads

Serious_Noize!
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 950
    Re: mix #1 "Trouble" - final mixes for new album 2017/06/22 20:56:00 (permalink)
    batsbrew
    https://soundcloud.com/bats-brew/trouble-mix-1

i've got 10 songs almost finished for a new album release.
    any suggestions on final tweaks, eq issues, translation issues, etc, are appreciated.

this is mix #1 of this song.

i'll only leave these up a few days each.

Issues:
    i'm on the fence about using verb on this one, versus mixing it bone dry.
    i gravitate towards the verb, because it smooths things out nicely.....
    but i think a modern approach to this would be...... more modern.
    LOL
    ideas?

Sounds great man!! You could always have two versions for your album, extra track perhaps? 
    What would be kind of interesting would be if you added a slight bit of reverb to to the slide and maybe a little bit of some type of tube echo or tape echo to the vocals. LOL, probably a crazy idea, I'm no pro, but what I am trying to say I guess is maybe selectively add some reverb where you feel it needs it, maybe keep the rough edge sound and polish the parts you want to stand out with it more. 

Probably crazy talk I guess by me, but I just thought I would throw that idea out there. Sounds great man!!!! All your music sounds great along with the vocals which are outstanding!!!

Enjoyed hearing this one, looking forward to hearing more. 

Bobby

Dell XPS 8700, 16GB's Ram, Sonar Platinum.
    batsbrew
    Re: mix #1 "Trouble" - final mixes for new album 2017/06/22 21:35:38 (permalink)
    there is already reverb on voices and guitars,
    the question should be : should it stay?

there is long delay already printed with the slide guitar....
    i thought it was too much already!

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Serious_Noize!
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 950
    Re: mix #1 "Trouble" - final mixes for new album 2017/06/22 22:46:24 (permalink)
    batsbrew
    there is already reverb on voices and guitars,
    the question should be : should it stay?

there is long delay already printed with the slide guitar....
    i thought it was too much already!

Oh, sorry, I honestly couldn't tell, but I guess that's the trait of someone who knows how to mix better than me. I'm just starting to take the time to learn a few things on mixing myself. Sorry, I was just trying to help.
    Sounds great either way. Even though I'm no pro. on the mix stuff, I would say it sounds really great as is, so if I were doing it I'd keep the reverb you have, I'd probably add a little more to make it stand out, but that's just me.

I will say this, I'll be curious to hear what the others who know how to mix much better than me have to say on your question. I've just always been one to follow that old path "Add some reverb to it and it will sound better idea", but I get what your saying here. Wish I could help. 

Sounds great either way! Keep on keepin' on man!

Bobby

Dell XPS 8700, 16GB's Ram, Sonar Platinum.
    timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re: mix #1 "Trouble" - final mixes for new album 2017/06/23 01:21:52 (permalink)
    Nice one Bat. Has an Eagles vibe to my ears.
    As far as reverb goes, yea, everything is pretty dry these days. delay is a good compromise. I didn't notice any lack of or too much of any reverb.

I did notice some spiky sibilance here and there.

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

batsbrew
    Re: mix #1 "Trouble" - final mixes for new album 2017/06/23 01:54:46 (permalink)
    yes, i have some high end issues...

it's a complicated mix..
    i've got 2 harmony 12 string guitar tracks, 3 danelectro 12 string parts, 2 taylor rhythms, 2 taylor single line tracks, 3 different slide tracks, 4 vocals, bass, percussion..

and probably added to much brightness somewhere, 
    and it's adding up.

the vox sound a bit dull to me,
    even tho i've high shelf lifted everything from about 3k up...

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

timidi
    Re: mix #1 "Trouble" - final mixes for new album 2017/06/23 02:20:44 (permalink)
    I listen on a laptop that basically sounds like ****. FWIW.
    That said, I don't think I've ever heard sibilance on my laptop till now. (if that helps:)

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

DarinBad
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 461
    Re: mix #1 "Trouble" - final mixes for new album 2017/06/23 10:00:25 (permalink)
    I have to agree with timidi. There is a rather gnarly sibilance that I'm hearing on the lead vocal. I certainly wouldn't add any high-shelf to it. It sounds plenty present as it is. I love the sound of the bass guitar! Seems perfectly balanced. The lead guitar sounds a bit loud to me over-all, especially around the 2:30 mark. Sounds great though. I like the delay on it. Something you might want to try, since you're on the fence about the reverb: Run the acoustics dry.. Completely dry. Leave the rest as is. Don't know if it'll work, but would be curious as to the result. Really like the tune!

AsRock Z77 Extreme4
    CPU INTEL CORE I7 3770K
    32 GB RAM
    RME Fireface 800
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    Glyn Barnes
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7564
    Re: mix #1 "Trouble" - final mixes for new album 2017/06/23 14:24:47 (permalink)
    I was listening to something else and Soundcloud pulled this up next at random. My reaction was wow, whats that! I like it a lot. If anything the drums are a bit lost sitening to it on my cheap logitech speakers, but maybe its you intention to keep them low key.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
    batsbrew
    Re: mix #1 "Trouble" - final mixes for new album 2017/06/23 15:34:44 (permalink)
    Serious_Noize!
    Oh, sorry, I honestly couldn't tell, but I guess that's the trait of someone who knows how to mix better than me. I'm just starting to take the time to learn a few things on mixing myself.
    hey man, it's cool!
    i'm just glad anyone is interested at all, so all opinions are valid to me.... it's a good 'backboard' for throwing ideas.
    i've done the heavy lifting (the mix levels) so i need to dial in some of the aesthetics now....
    so thanks!

timidi
    Nice one Bat. Has an Eagles vibe to my ears.
    As far as reverb goes, yea, everything is pretty dry these days. delay is a good compromise. I didn't notice any lack of or too much of any reverb.

I did notice some spiky sibilance here and there.

hey timidi,
    i'm glad you called out the sibilence, i'm going to have to re-think the eq on the voices, and across the collection of multiple guitar tracks,
    i think i need to fall back on that old adage "if everything is bright, then nothing is bright!"
    LOL
    i have some solid ideas about where the issues are, and how to fix them, so that's next!

DarinBad
    I have to agree with timidi. There is a rather gnarly sibilance that I'm hearing on the lead vocal. I certainly wouldn't add any high-shelf to it. It sounds plenty present as it is. I love the sound of the bass guitar! Seems perfectly balanced. The lead guitar sounds a bit loud to me over-all, especially around the 2:30 mark. Sounds great though. I like the delay on it. Something you might want to try, since you're on the fence about the reverb: Run the acoustics dry.. Completely dry. Leave the rest as is. Don't know if it'll work, but would be curious as to the result. Really like the tune!

thanks for listening, darin, good observations on specific things,
    just what i needed feedback on.
    the acoustics are all routed to a sub bus, so it'd be easy to take the reverb back off of them.
    my first pass, had them dry.
    i added the verb because i thought it sounded 'too dry'.
    LOL
    it's like going down the rabbit hole.

Glyn Barnes
    I was listening to something else and Soundcloud pulled this up next at random. My reaction was wow, whats that! I like it a lot. If anything the drums are a bit lost sitening to it on my cheap logitech speakers, but maybe its you intention to keep them low key.

hey glyn,
    maybe you listened to the wrong song.
    there are no drums in this tune.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

Glyn Barnes
    Re: mix #1 "Trouble" - final mixes for new album 2017/06/23 15:52:45 (permalink)
    batsbrew

Glyn Barnes

hey glyn,

Odd and a bit embarrassing because I thought I could hear some very low in the mix. This time I cranked it right up and it was some of the muted guitar I was hearing and some other percussive sounds, particularly around 2:43. If I turn it back down I can see why I was mistaken on these speakers.

It sounds a lot better turned up! I will have to try it on my studio monitors later.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    batsbrew
    Re: mix #1 "Trouble" - final mixes for new album 2017/06/23 17:53:56 (permalink)
    Glyn Barnes
    batsbrew

Glyn Barnes

hey glyn,

Odd and a bit embarrassing because I thought I could hear some very low in the mix. This time I cranked it right up and it was some of the muted guitar I was hearing and some other percussive sounds, particularly around 2:43. If I turn it back down I can see why I was mistaken on these speakers.

It sounds a lot better turned up! I will have to try it on my studio monitors later.

yes, that would be the more 'serious' critique i'm looking for!
    heheh

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: mix #1 "Trouble" - final mixes for new album 2017/06/23 17:59:57 (permalink)
    Well I am listening on my DT 100's as it is far to hot here in the UK at the moment to fire up the full studio, 31C, 88F in the studio and I do not have Air con, it is what one might call a furry melt down.

Its sounds great on them Bat, the tiny little bit of reverb you do have is just enough to create the right sense of space.  I will listen on the Adam's tomorrow and get back to you.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    batsbrew
    Re: mix #1 "Trouble" - final mixes for new album 2017/06/23 19:01:33 (permalink)
    thanks wookiee....
    for listening and commenting,
    i've gotta focus on exactly where that sibilence is, 
    i think it's a buildup, and just a wrong choice on my lead vox setup...

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

Glyn Barnes
    Re: mix #1 "Trouble" - final mixes for new album 2017/06/23 19:44:41 (permalink)
    batsbrew

yes, that would be the more 'serious' critique i'm looking for!
    heheh

Well I have now played it on the DAW and it sounds very good on my monitors. I think the level of reverb is good where it is. The mix does translate quite well onto the cheap speakers on my internet PC particularly when I turn it up, the "clickyness" at lower volumes is probably a function of those speakers and my slightly impaired high frequency hearing.

batsbrew
    Re: mix #1 "Trouble" - final mixes for new album 2017/06/23 20:59:59 (permalink)
    you know, i think the clickiness MAY be the high end transients on the acoustics...
    and your mention of that, makes me think that i've got high end boosted where i SHOULDN't...

like, maybe where ever the pick attack is, is too accentuated, and it only comes across that way at low listening...
    which a lot of folks do..

so, i'm gonna play with that this weekend, try a de-ess on the vox, and maybe some selective compression on the guitars, on just the high mid bands...
    that might just do it!!
    thanks glyn

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: mix #1 "Trouble" - final mixes for new album 2017/06/24 12:26:48 (permalink)
    Now I have had a chance to listen to it on the monitors I am hearing the sibilant's on the vocals, something DT's obviously are just not up to revealing.  I like the feel and groove of this IMPFO the ambience is just right it all sounds like it is being played and sung in the same space.

Nice stuff Bat.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    Frugaard
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 104
    Re: mix #1 "Trouble" - final mixes for new album 2017/06/24 12:58:12 (permalink)
    Really cool song! Other than the sibilance mentioned above here I think the mix sounds very good! Cool guitars and voice too! Great work :D
    timidi
    Re: mix #1 "Trouble" - final mixes for new album 2017/06/24 13:59:05 (permalink)
    batsbrew

What mic do you use on voc?

batsbrew
    i think i need to fall back on that old adage "if everything is bright, then nothing is bright!"
    LOL

sage advice

batsbrew
    Re: mix #1 "Trouble" - final mixes for new album 2017/06/25 22:59:39 (permalink)
    Wookiee
    Now I have had a chance to listen to it on the monitors I am hearing the sibilant's on the vocals, something DT's obviously are just not up to revealing. I like the feel and groove of this IMPFO the ambience is just right it all sounds like it is being played and sung in the same space.
    Nice stuff Bat.
    thanks wook,
    since i posted this, i've already found that sibilence, and took care of it with extreme prejudice.
    ;)

Frugaard
    Really cool song! Other than the sibilance mentioned above here I think the mix sounds very good! Cool guitars and voice too! Great work :D

alright fruggaard, thanks for listening...
    thanks for the props

timidi
    batsbrew

What mic do you use on voc?

hey timidi,
    i think this mic was a ADK Hamburg..... and probably run thru a ART DPS preamp, into a DBX compressor, and into soundcard.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

batsbrew
    Re: mix #1 "Trouble" - final mixes for new album 2017/06/25 22:59:59 (permalink)
    took this one down,
    moving on to the next one

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1