mixer with no sound card

Author
CJaysMusic
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 30423
2006/11/01 16:39:43 (permalink)

mixer with no sound card

If i get a mixer with firewire to connect to my computer, do i need a sound card.
Do i sacrafice anything??

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
Audio Blog

2 Replies Related Threads

ohhey
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: mixer with no sound card 2006/11/01 16:53:18 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: CJaysMusic

If i get a mixer with firewire to connect to my computer, do i need a sound card.
    Do i sacrafice anything??

No you don't need a sound card, the mixer is your sound card at that point. What you sacrafice is the ability to patch anything between the mixer and the computer but most mixers have an insert on the channels for that. However, some like the Mackie Onyx don't let you record the sound of the EQ it's just the raw signal from the preamp.

The other thing is that the drivers might not be as good as those from a company that makes just sound cards. Driver development is difficult and expensive. Bean counters will not spend that kind of money after the device is sold.
    CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: mixer with no sound card 2006/11/01 17:02:33 (permalink)
    Can you suggest a mixer, if you know of any with 2-4 inputs and one with sends, without being to costly

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1