mixing drum bass

Author
Art1820m
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 393
2008/12/25 19:54:05 (permalink)

mixing drum bass

When mixing my kick track I always cut around 300hz about 6db the most, but when I finish the whole song and compare it with a reference mine sounds like ****- it soounds still too boxy. Why is this, do I have to cut more of the kick in 300hz? All the kicks I use are the same problem , All the sounds I use is from soft synths

Intel Desktop From MARS, the planet ..  
application: Sonar  version 8.5.3 PE

Samplitude Pro X
sound card   Focusrite Scarlette

more of my stuff
http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/Artbluevibe

10 Replies Related Threads

guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    RE: mixing drum bass 2008/12/25 20:07:18 (permalink)
    Good question. I always thought that EZD pop kit had a great sounding kick - better than the stock preset in AD. When I got AD, I analyzed the freqency response of EZD's kick to sculpt AD's kick, and I got a great souding kick in AD.

I'm no expert, but what I've done to get a good kick is to keep the low freq peak slightly below 50hz - I think around 44 or so (by tuning down the wave), otherwize mine sounds boxy also. This works well because it gives me a solid sounding kick and it leaves room for the bass guitar fundamentals right above it. I boost the highs of course for good definition.

It really depends on the source wave file, but I cut at 870 around 15db Q 0.32, and boost at 7900 17db Q0.19. Again - it all depends on the source recording. These may sound like wild tweeks, but they yeild a good result for me.
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: mixing drum bass 2008/12/25 20:24:58 (permalink)
    When mixing my kick track I always cut around 300hz about 6db the most, but when I finish the whole song and compare it with a reference mine sounds like ****- it soounds still too boxy. W

how did you come about these numbers?? There isnt any rules to say that those frequencies and numbers are correct. yuo need to use your ears and not go by what someone else does or say. Every song is different
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Tom F
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2749
    RE: mixing drum bass 2008/12/25 20:55:52 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: CJaysMusic

When mixing my kick track I always cut around 300hz about 6db the most, but when I finish the whole song and compare it with a reference mine sounds like ****- it soounds still too boxy. W

how did you come about these numbers?? There isnt any rules to say that those frequencies and numbers are correct. yuo need to use your ears and not go by what someone else does or say. Every song is different
    Cj

no cj ! my songs sound all the same

...trying to be polite... quick temper...trying to be...
    tunekicker
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1261
    RE: mixing drum bass 2008/12/26 01:17:13 (permalink)
    Do you send your kick to any reverb? You might need to EQ this, too...

Peace,

- Tunes
    Art1820m
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 393
    RE: mixing drum bass 2008/12/26 01:21:21 (permalink)
    no I don't use reverb on kick at all.

Intel Desktop From MARS, the planet ..  
    application: Sonar  version 8.5.3 PE

Samplitude Pro X
    sound card   Focusrite Scarlette

more of my stuff
    http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/Artbluevibe
    ba_midi
    • Total Posts : 14061
    RE: mixing drum bass 2008/12/26 04:49:18 (permalink)
    Rule of thumb - one that many (if not most) of the big boys use: Cut from 30Hz down. That gets rid of the junk at the very low end, and allows you to push through more of the upper low end (60 to 80Hz) without the overbearing rumble and boom down there.

300Hz is not a good place to cut unless your whole mix is sounding mushy. And, cutting there too much is not really the way to go.

So - try putting either a highpass filter set at 30Hz with a Q of between 1 and .6 (adjust to taste) or a shelving setting similary. The point being to cut out as much of that low junk as possible and still letting the thump come though (changing the Q setting is usually what I tweak most). I usually do this right on my master bus as a default setting so that I'm already preventing all that low mud. Sometimes I do both the master bus AND the kick track - depending on the content/samples/sounds. Then you can put some 60-80Hz on the kick, along with some higher frequencies for the 'pop' / attack of the kick (experiment between 1.5K and 5K).

Don't forget to clean up the "other" tracks that might be taking up the same frequency space as your kick.

I tend to roll off a whole lot on other tracks (between 50 and 150Hz) just to avoid any conflicts in that range. It helps let things cut through a lot better too.

And, of course, start with a good sound (if not acoustic, choose the sample/synth wisely).

Lastly - use compression. In modern recording and modern music, compression is your friend ;)

Hope that helps a bit.

ORIGINAL: Art1820m

When mixing my kick track I always cut around 300hz about 6db the most, but when I finish the whole song and compare it with a reference mine sounds like ****- it soounds still too boxy. Why is this, do I have to cut more of the kick in 300hz? All the kicks I use are the same problem , All the sounds I use is from soft synths

post edited by ba_midi - 2008/12/26 04:56:01

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    boten
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: mixing drum bass 2008/12/26 06:07:59 (permalink)
    Each kick drum is different so no rules can be applied to all of them. Even when using virtual instruments I found that some I have to cut 200 HZ, some I need to add 3KHz and a little bit of 60 HZ. Also, you shouldn't be looking at the drum kit as a solo instrument. Depends on what's going on in the mix, esp, the roll of the bass guitar, there will be different tweaks to do to make it work.
    So I agree with what was said above. There can't be a fix rule.
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: mixing drum bass 2008/12/26 07:00:03 (permalink)
    ba_midi mentioned the magic numbers for me, I use a lot "upper low end (60 to 80Hz) " .. thats general though, run the drum on it's own thru to show where it peaks etc.

if you do a lot of bass heavy music, then side chain ducking comes into it a lot. As you have the issue of it clashing with sub bass (if you use really low sounds)

another trick is to use 2 kicks... and perhaps snares.. 1 sits low and the other higher eq range. so 1 deals with the boomier part, while the upper deals with higher ranges.. they have to be eq'd in a way not to clash,it's all about punch..

I have heard songs that are eq'd but the bass goes down as low as about 17 hz, BUT that was the main sound and nothing else was playing at the time
    post edited by Fog - 2008/12/26 07:02:06
    SongCraft
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3902
    RE: mixing drum bass 2008/12/26 07:17:57 (permalink)
    I use two different kick's layered! One with reverb the other dry ------ one acts as the shell-body and ambiance the other is bone dry! I may or may not EQ either or both according to what the song requires, tempo, style and the sound I'm going for to suit a particular song so yeah! {agree} There's no one setting fits all.

...wicked
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7360
    RE: mixing drum bass 2008/12/26 14:25:52 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Fog
    another trick is to use 2 kicks... and perhaps snares.. 1 sits low and the other higher eq range. so 1 deals with the boomier part, while the upper deals with higher ranges.. they have to be eq'd in a way not to clash,it's all about punch..

+1.

For modern music, layering your drum sounds is all but mandatory. At the very least highly advised.

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    billions VSTs, some of which work    
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1