monitoring / "bleed"

Author
littlesonny
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 43
2005/08/06 18:05:34 (permalink)

monitoring / "bleed"

I am a newbie to forums but have 26 years recording experience including 4 years working with HS. After a two year gap while I moved continents I have built a new PC recording set up and I'm having some teething issues. I have spent days now pouring over every manual, help file, and possible thread on this forum before asking for help. This may sound like the oft asked "bleed" problem but I think it's a slightly different issue. Please bear with me...

The problem:
I can not find a configuration which allows me to monitor the performance being recorded without the backing track being recorded as well. What's different is that I can record without "bleed" as long as I don't want to hear what I'm doing in the cans. BTW, this is not a headphone leakage problem.

The set up:
AMD Athlon 2.2
512mb RAM
Windows XP
Audiophile 2496
Tapco 6306 (poor man's Mackie)
Sonar HS 4

Configuration
Hardware: Line out card > line in tape input mixer
Line out mixer Main > Line in card
I've tried every combination suggested on the forum, plus some, in regard to the switch routing on the mixer.

Software
Windows: There is no "what you hear" option in the control panel/ sound devices/ etc..
There is only one device displayed, the 2496. In the audio properties panel -recording- the volume and advanced tabs are greyed out. In the playback panel the advanced or volume tabs bring up three playbacl\k option, wave, swsynth, and CD. All of these are muted.

M-Audio: Monitor mixer is selected in the patchbay/router panel

Sonar HS 4:
Input drivers > M-audio analog 1/2 and monitor mix. Selecting either one of these alone makes no difference.
Output driver: M-audio analog out 1/2

I hope all the detail helps some kind soul out there provide a solution. At the moment I'm about ready to go down to the pawn shop and buy a TEAC 4 trk.

Many thanks,
Steve

7 Replies Related Threads

sinc
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3116
    RE: monitoring / "bleed" 2005/08/06 18:58:33 (permalink)
    Sounds like you have "Tape to Mix" depressed on your mixer.
    littlesonny
    RE: monitoring / "bleed" 2005/08/06 19:25:22 (permalink)
    Thanks for responding sinc. This was a possiblity mentioned in a reply to someone else which I tried to no avail. Those to buttons- crtol room & main, react as follows: (In and out refer to button depressed (like me) or not depressed ( like i wish i was).

Both in: backing but no monitor

Crtl out-Main in: Hear both backing and monitor but backing recorded

Both out: Hear monitor but no backing

Crtl in- main out > hear backing but no monitor.

Strryder
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 426
    RE: monitoring / "bleed" 2005/08/06 22:23:24 (permalink)
    The Poor Man's Mackie..

The problem is the way that your mixer works, and there is really almost no way to use it properly for both monitoring and as the only input source for recording at the same time, it's just too limited in it's routing ablilities.

1) The CD/TAPE inputs/outputs are really designed for 2 track (stereo) send/return, NOT for multi-track monitoring, but stereo 2 track monitoring such as a mixdown deck return, where, on playback you would want isolation.

2) There are no direct channel outputs, nor are there insert points which could be used for direct channel outputs, likewise there are no isolated bus outputs. This means that there is really no "proper" way to route isolated signals out of the mixer and into your soundcard for recording.

3) You "could" use the 2 aux sends as isolated outputs to send 2 seperate signals to the two analog inputs on the Audiophile, BUT, aux send 2 is situated in the signal path AFTER the channel volume control, that means that the recording signal would change with any changes to the channel's volume control, this doesn't mean it would be unworkable, just something that would be annoying sometimes.

Anyway, what to do? some options are...

1) Remove the mixer from the return monitor path and use it as an input source only, this unfortunately will also take away your headphone amp for monitoring.

2) Buy a dedicated mic-pre/DI such as the M-Audio DMP-3 and use it for your soundcard's input source, these two channels could be routed by "Y" cords to both the AP's inputs AND to two channels on the TAPCO for direct monitoring, you could then also use the TAPCO as your monitor mixer/headphone amp by routing the AP's outputs to one of it's stereo input channels.

3) Buy a better mixer that has the right routing abilities for the job at hand.

I have a Mackie 1202-VLZ, the 4 mono channels on it have those insert points that can be used as direct outputs for those channels, which make it usable in a situation like yours, you could also look into the Yamaha MG series mixers for a cheaper solution.

Out of the above options, I think that #2 is probably the most "bang for the buck", it lets you still use the TAPCO as your monitor mixer/headphone amp while also giving you a more direct signal path to the recorder using better preamp/DI's.

:)
    littlesonny
    RE: monitoring / "bleed" 2005/08/11 16:55:33 (permalink)
    Thanks Stryyder. I'm real glad somebody responded with a solution.

I had just now figured it out that the Tapco wasn't able to do the job in the way one would have hoped. A bit daft in that their manual shows a set up for computer recording but doesn't tell you can't monitor and record simultaneously.

My previous studio set up I had a high quality hi-fi amp as the hub of the monitoring system so of course I never ran across the problem of using the mixer for monitoring. Actually this is a 4th option which I've decided to go with. I'm shopping for a used audiophile pre-amp to which I'll connect my powered speakers and run a line in to it out from the AP soundcard. This also gives me the advantage of being able to connect other sources to the card such as a cassette or turntable. This is what I had set up before which was very useful for loading LP's and cassettes into the computer. I could then apply restoration software and burn "re-masterd" CDs. I was also able to load instrumental tracks from a DAT provided by a co-writer into Cakewalk. I then was able to have the music to write lyrics to and then record my vocals. The end result was a semi-tidy demo which was a useful tool for the singer in his band to learn the songs from.

Thanks again.
    bill durham
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 460
    RE: monitoring / "bleed" 2005/08/11 22:54:41 (permalink)
    littlesonny,

I agree with the other guys that the mixer is your problem. You need to be able to monitor a bus that is not the bus feeding the soundcard input. I have had good luck with Soundcraft mixers and recommend them highly. Here is a link to a model that is especially designed for computer recording.

http://www.soundcraft.com/product_sheet.asp?product_id=121

take care,
    BD

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/4/bdandfriends_music.htm

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/billdurham_music.htm
    Robomusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: monitoring / "bleed" 2005/08/12 02:13:39 (permalink)
    Actually I looked at the setup on your mixer and it is very much like the Behringer 602 i use and i think you can monitor with it, take the line out from the sound card to the tape in on the mixer, the main out on the mixer back to the line in on the card.

Now plug the speakers into the control room out and depress the tape/cd button and see if that works. If it does not then try calling there help desk and see what they suggest.

I know many will poopaw the Behringer stuff, but i have been using a Berry 602 (now the 802) for three years and with the Audiophile 24/96 card it makes a great setup, for $59.
    post edited by Robomusic - 2005/08/12 02:28:10
    Strryder
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 426
    RE: monitoring / "bleed" 2005/08/12 07:14:48 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Robomusic

Actually I looked at the setup on your mixer and it is very much like the Behringer 602 i use and i think you can monitor with it, take the line out from the sound card to the tape in on the mixer, the main out on the mixer back to the line in on the card.

Now plug the speakers into the control room out and depress the tape/cd button and see if that works.

It looks to me like doing this will give you just the stereo return from the AP on the monitors, there are two ways I can see to add the incoming recording signals into the monitor mix..

1) Use the AP's software monitor mixer, this will give you a dry, no latency foldback of the incoming signals back into the monitor mix.

2) Use Home Studio's input monitoring if you can run at a low enough latency (about 5 ms or less), this will let you monitor "wet" by using reverb/whatever in HS.

:)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1