Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
mdages
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 139
2014/11/13 12:50:06 (permalink)

move an entire arrangement in the timeline

Hello Sonar folks,

I'm a german composer for film and media and switched my DAW to Sonar X3 a few months ago.
In the past and currently I have the task to move my entire arrangement in the timeline. Mostly because of some changes in the corresponding movie. For some of my clients the final cut isn't really final.

What's the best practice in Sonar to move a range of an entire arrangment with all tracks, clips and tempo maps to another mark on the timeline? Would be nice if there is a one step solution.

regards
Markus

music is just a sequence of sounds...
Sonar Platinum -> R.I.P (Shame on Gibson)
Cubase Pro 9.5
Windows 10 x64 German
Core i7, 12GB RAM - 5 TB HDD/SSD
Focusrite Saffire Pro 24
Studiologic Acuna 88
VSL VE-Pro with windows slave computers
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: move an entire arrangement in the timeline 2014/11/13 12:58:02 (permalink)
Be sure the snap to grid is off. Select all and drag it while holding shift where you want it.

Best
John
Beagle
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re: move an entire arrangement in the timeline 2014/11/13 12:59:32 (permalink)
you can also insert measures. 

select ALL tracks with CTRL-A
Project > Insert Time/Measures

http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR%20X2&language=4&help=Dialogs2.015.html

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
Kalle Rantaaho
Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7005
Re: move an entire arrangement in the timeline 2014/11/13 13:06:25 (permalink)
John
Be sure the snap to grid is off. Select all and drag it where you want it.

As there's been lots of threads about this sort of topics, I'd like to get a confirmation: In the present version, does that action move everything? Envelopes, tempo maps/changes - everything. Splitting them at the correct spot etc.?
I've lost count of the details of which method can not move/copy what when :o)

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
Kalle Rantaaho
Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7005
Re: move an entire arrangement in the timeline 2014/11/13 13:21:16 (permalink)
Does "select>all" nowadays really split and move everything? Tempo maps/changes, envelopes - everything.
IIRC, this wasn't the case not so long time ago.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
mdages
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 139
Re: move an entire arrangement in the timeline 2014/11/13 13:22:42 (permalink)
@John Thanks, but this was the first I tried. But this don't work. Maybe because of bugs, but always some clips will stay on their old position. Another problem is, that this don't move the tempo map and markers.

@Beagle Thank you too. This seems to work with some rearranging of the movie clip after that.
But, selecting "All" isn't always an option, because sometimes I've only to move a part of the complete project.
And, is there an oposite of inserting. Sometimes I have to move it forward.

-Markus

robert_e_bone
  • Total Posts : 8968
Re: move an entire arrangement in the timeline 2014/11/13 13:40:51 (permalink)
I insert space (measures) for where things are to be moved TO, and then usually select and edit>cut that which I want to move, and do a paste special to put the selected data into the space I had created to hold the data.

Sometimes, I have to do this when there are meter changes (5/4 to 4/4, 4/4 to 9/8, etc.), and the insert measures seems to take on the meter of the PRIOR measure, and not the NEXT measure, and that means I sometimes have to fart around with getting the hole to be properly sized, but it does not take much to accomplish that - then I delete any extra measures with remove hole.

At times, things seem more complicated than needed, but it does seem to work OK.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
John
Forum Host
Re: move an entire arrangement in the timeline 2014/11/13 13:41:56 (permalink)
Kalle Rantaaho
John
Be sure the snap to grid is off. Select all and drag it where you want it.

As there's been lots of threads about this sort of topics, I'd like to get a confirmation: In the present version, does that action move everything? Envelopes, tempo maps/changes - everything. Splitting them at the correct spot etc.?
I've lost count of the details of which method can not move/copy what when :o)

You're right. I just tried on a project with all audio. It had not other events. So I don't know. 

Best
John
konradh
Max Output Level: -42 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3325
Re: move an entire arrangement in the timeline 2014/11/13 13:50:00 (permalink)
I have never been able to get tempo changes to move.  I always have to cut and paste them.

For a rock song, that may not be a big deal.  For film, it is a huge pain because sometimes there are very small and frequent tempo changes to make things sync.

Konrad
Current album and more: http://www.themightykonrad.com/

Sonar X1d Producer. V-Studio 700. PC: Intel i7 CPU 3.07GHz, 12 GB RAM. Win 7 64-bit. RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLPC, Ivory II, Vienna Symphonic, Hollywood Strings, Electr6ity, Acoustic Legends, FabFour, Scarbee Rick/J-Bass/P-Bass, Kontakt 5. NI Session Guitar. Boldersounds, Noisefirm. EZ Drummer 2. EZ Mix. Melodyne Assist. Guitar Rig 4. Tyros 2, JV-1080, Kurzweil PC2R, TC Helicon VoiceWorks+. Rode NT2a, EV RE20. Presonus Eureka.  Rokit 6s. 
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: move an entire arrangement in the timeline 2014/11/13 13:53:44 (permalink)
This has always caused me big problems, especially when there are automation envelopes involved. There should be an intelligent function to move an entire project along the timeline but there isn't.

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: move an entire arrangement in the timeline 2014/11/13 14:15:13 (permalink)
I need to do this all the time, here's my method. It's easiest if you can snap to grid, but that's not essential. This particular method assumes no tempo changes are within the section to be moved; there are other options if tempo changes are involved.

1. Select all, place the Now time at the beginning of the section to be moved, and type S (split).
2. Select all, place the Now time at the end of the section to be moved, and type S (split).
3. Select all, and drag in the time ruler between the start and end times of the section to be moved. Now all the clips in that section are selected.
4. Right-click on any of the clips and choose "Create Selection Group from Selected Clips."
5. Go to Options and make sure "Select Track Envelopes with Clips" is selected.

You can now move the section as one entire block. Unless you ungroup the clips, you can keep moving it around as needed. If you need to include tempo changes that are within the section you're moving:

1. First go to Options and make sure "Select Track Envelopes with Clips" is selected, then follow steps 1-3 above. Step 4 is optional.
2. Select Cut Special or Copy Special, and check everything. 
3. Place the Now time where you want the section to start.
4. Choose Paste Special, and make sure Advanced is enabled so you can select tempo changes and automation envelopes as elements to be pasted.

That should do it.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Anderton
Re: move an entire arrangement in the timeline 2014/11/14 12:10:21 (permalink)
FYI the clip grouping feature is really helpful when songwriting. You can create "blocks" of chorus, verse, solo, etc. and move around as you work out the arrangement.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Vastman
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2508
Re: move an entire arrangement in the timeline 2014/11/14 12:35:59 (permalink)
Move EVERYTHING should be a feature request for X4, IMO... This should be a simple action, as "create space" between xxxx and yyyyy.  Or a pull down menue which lists everything that can be tagged.  It's kinda wierd that some elements of a song/arrangement are excluded...

Dana
We make the future... Climate Change Music
VastMaschine:SP4L/W10/i74930K/32GB/RME/CAD E100s; The Orchestra! NOVO!/Inspire/BohemianViolin&Cello, ARK1&2,/MinimalCapriccioMaximoSoto/OE1&2, Action&Emotive/Omni2/Tril/RMX/All OrangeTree/Falcon/APE Jugs/Alpha&Bravo/BFD3 & SD3
Gravity/DM307/AEON/DM/Damage/Diva/HZebra/Hive/Diversion/VC4/Serum/Alchemy/blablabla
Spitfire/8DIO/SL/KH/EW/NI; Shred1&2/AGF,G,M&T Torch&Res&Ren/GD-6; Ibanez SR1200&SR505
NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
Beepster
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re: move an entire arrangement in the timeline 2014/11/14 12:43:24 (permalink)
Perhaps an "Insert/Remove Measure" feature with copy/paste functionality could be something Cake could work on for this type of work. Basically have it all controlled from the timeline instead of the Clips Pane. Insert X amount of time to create a hole at a point and everything (tempo map, automation, EVERYTHING) after that point moves over to accomodate. Remove would do the reverse (or have an option to retain the hole without anything moving). It could all be sent to the clipboard (or its own clipboard with options to remove specific things like tempo, automation, clips, etc). Well you get the idea and honestly it is such a startling simple concept I've always been a little surprised that things don't already work that way within Sonar.

I do however think at the moment this might be easier to accomplish with finished music in video editing software (just move the audio around overtop the video) but I'm assuming the OP is still composing the score so obviously that wouldn't really work.

Anyway I would try enabling two projects to be open at a time within Preferences then importing the video into the new second project then copying the elements as needed into the second project from the first to where they are needed. It might be a less confusing way to approach this task. That way you could do range selections of your clips, automation and tempo map with "Snap to or by" or by marker or whatever and basically migrate it section by section and element by element as needed. To me that would be less confusing than trying to fiddle with it all in the same project and potentially screwing something up.

Anderton
Re: move an entire arrangement in the timeline 2014/11/14 13:05:18 (permalink)
Vastman
Move EVERYTHING should be a feature request for X4, IMO... This should be a simple action, as "create space" between xxxx and yyyyy.

You can do this already with insert measures.

Or a pull down menue which lists everything that can be tagged.  It's kinda wierd that some elements of a song/arrangement are excluded...

It the examples I gave above, everything is included - envelopes, tempo changes, markers, etc. I think the problem is that these aren't checked by default, so people assume there's an issue. And the only way you can expose these parameters while pasting is to click the "Advanced" button on the Paste Special dialog.

Beepster
Re: move an entire arrangement in the timeline 2014/11/14 13:20:31 (permalink)
Anderton
Vastman
Move EVERYTHING should be a feature request for X4, IMO... This should be a simple action, as "create space" between xxxx and yyyyy.

You can do this already with insert measures.

Or a pull down menue which lists everything that can be tagged.  It's kinda wierd that some elements of a song/arrangement are excluded...

It the examples I gave above, everything is included - envelopes, tempo changes, markers, etc. I think the problem is that these aren't checked by default, so people assume there's an issue. And the only way you can expose these parameters while pasting is to click the "Advanced" button on the Paste Special dialog.

Okay... thanks for that. I knew there was a window to select all that stuff and I figured it was the "Advanced" something or other but I was not sure about the Tempo Map data being included. So basically all that Insert?remove stuff I was talking about is already there but is bury and needs to be set manually?

Anyway... controlling that type of thing directly from the Timeline and being able to have that method its own entity with its own preferences and the like might get rid of a lot of confusion about this because it is a heck of a lot weirder than it needs to be for what seems like it should be a very basic task.
Anderton
Re: move an entire arrangement in the timeline 2014/11/14 13:22:10 (permalink)
Beepster
Perhaps an "Insert/Remove Measure" feature with copy/paste functionality could be something Cake could work on for this type of work. Basically have it all controlled from the timeline instead of the Clips Pane. Insert X amount of time to create a hole at a point and everything (tempo map, automation, EVERYTHING) after that point moves over to accomodate. Remove would do the reverse (or have an option to retain the hole without anything moving).

What am I missing? It seems Project > Insert Time/Measures already does this for whatever tracks you've selected. If you've selected all tracks, it moves everything over by the specified amount. Cut special allows removing a section and deleting the hole.

As long as everything is enabled properly, you drag across the timeline after selecting all, specify the correct track where you want paste to start, etc., then copy special, cut special, and paste special work very well. Granted there are a lot of options that require your attention to get it right, but these can be life-savers when you want to paste starting in a different track, paste a certain number of repeats, etc. 

Brando
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2776
Re: move an entire arrangement in the timeline 2014/11/14 13:27:06 (permalink)
Nice tip. Thanks Craig!

Brando
Cakewalk, Studio One Pro, Reaper
Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL
ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
Beepster
Re: move an entire arrangement in the timeline 2014/11/14 13:37:14 (permalink)
Anderton
Beepster
Perhaps an "Insert/Remove Measure" feature with copy/paste functionality could be something Cake could work on for this type of work. Basically have it all controlled from the timeline instead of the Clips Pane. Insert X amount of time to create a hole at a point and everything (tempo map, automation, EVERYTHING) after that point moves over to accomodate. Remove would do the reverse (or have an option to retain the hole without anything moving).

What am I missing? It seems Project > Insert Time/Measures already does this for whatever tracks you've selected. If you've selected all tracks, it moves everything over by the specified amount. Cut special allows removing a section and deleting the hole.

As long as everything is enabled properly, you drag across the timeline after selecting all, specify the correct track where you want paste to start, etc., then copy special, cut special, and paste special work very well. Granted there are a lot of options that require your attention to get it right, but these can be life-savers when you want to paste starting in a different track, paste a certain number of repeats, etc. 

I'm more referring to what the OP is talking about as in absolutely everything in the project is moved with a simple procedure as opposed to having to making sure all tracks, automation, tempo, controller changes, markers, whatever are going to make the desired moves. As you said making sure EVERYTHING is going to do what is needed can be confusing and weird. I'm basically saying there should be a simple "Everything" option from the timeline where we don't have to think about that kind of stuff and know immediately that we created the holes, moves, cuts, etc across all views, data or whatever. I guess at this point (after your answer about how it can all be done with some fiddling) is about simplification of the process. Maybe also have it accessible from the Navigator view.

This may sound weird but I used to have quite a few selection problems in X1 and X2 that made editing difficult and sketchy. In X3 those have been resolved as far as I can tell but now I get concerend about automation, MIDI stuff, markers, tempo stuff, etc not really doing what's needed with a bulk edit (due to my own inexperience with these things because I usually wait until a song is fully composed before screwing around with a lot of that stuff). Something like that would just help me, personally, feel more comfortable making those types of full project changes. Knowaddimean?

Anyway... just pontificating. Absolutely not a compaint or trying to be argumentative but something I think would be cool for the Bakers to implement. It would just make things a lot simpler for stuff like this.

Cheers.
Anderton
Re: move an entire arrangement in the timeline 2014/11/14 14:27:56 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby swamptooth 2014/11/15 22:20:35
Beepster
I'm more referring to what the OP is talking about as in absolutely everything in the project is moved with a simple procedure as opposed to having to making sure all tracks, automation, tempo, controller changes, markers, whatever are going to make the desired moves. As you said making sure EVERYTHING is going to do what is needed can be confusing and weird.

Actually, I said "Granted there are a lot of options that require your attention to get it right, but these can be life-savers when you want to paste starting in a different track, paste a certain number of repeats, etc." So just check everything if you don't have to add any restrictions. But there are simpler options as well...keep reading.

I'm basically saying there should be a simple "Everything" option from the timeline where we don't have to think about that kind of stuff and know immediately that we created the holes, moves, cuts, etc across all views, data or whatever. I guess at this point (after your answer about how it can all be done with some fiddling) is about simplification of the process.

To insert, you have to tell the program where you want to insert, how much you want to insert, and call up an insert command. That's unavoidable. The only extra step the way it's done now is checking four boxes if you want everything moved over. That really doesn't seem that onerous, and besides, there there are plenty of times when you might not want to move something like tempo changes, because you're going to record different material but the tempo is already correct.

You may not be aware of this: If you want to move an entire section with automation, simply select all, drag across the timeline, click on any clip header, and drag. 

Once you get used to selecting all tracks and doing time selections with the timeline, it's really not that hard to do moves, cuts, pastes, etc. Sometimes it's not hard at all; with "paste special" you can slide over to make room for new, which automatically creates a hole the size of what you're pasting. Some people say some things won't slide over, but that's true only if a clip begins BEFORE the point where you're pasting - again, this makes sense because you may or may not want Sonar to split clips you haven't split yourself. If you don't, it works fine as is. If you do, just select all, place the cursor where you want to paste, and type S prior to pasting to split the clips.

Anyway... just pontificating. Absolutely not a compaint or trying to be argumentative but something I think would be cool for the Bakers to implement. It would just make things a lot simpler for stuff like this.

The problem is that you would still need to keep the other options, so there would end up being two ways to do things and I'm not sure the current method is all that difficult. Regardless of whatever protocol you used, you have to specify start and end points, you have to specify an operation (do you want to copy or cut), and if moving, you need to specify a destination. You'll have to do those no matter what, so a few intermediate steps that allow you to move or not move specific things doesn't seem that bad.

There are many ways to move things around and some are really simple, like the select all, define in timeline, click+drag option.

The bottom line is you need to know the options well enough so you can choose the simplest one for the task at hand. Hmmmm...seems like I have a good start on next Friday's Tip of the Week - "How to Move Big Sections Around Fast."

Beepster
Re: move an entire arrangement in the timeline 2014/11/14 14:57:14 (permalink)
@craig...
Yup... I get all that and I must apologize because I'm probably not really explaining myself in the most effective way (lots of pain last night so not much sleep). Of course all those options are necessary and useful and it's not all that cumbersome to do these tasks if you are aware of everything. Thing is looking at those options can be confusing for beginners. I, now after using the program and studying audio for a few years, can understand what's up and make the correct selections if need be but when first messing around with these concepts it was difficult.

So what I'm suggesting is an alternative method that is subtractive in its approach to what is being manipulated as opposed to additive like the current method. Basically the same box would/could pop up with the same options but everything is selected by default (including the tempo map and everything else). Everything would be automagically split, moved, removed, pasted, etc. It would almost be like editing a single audio track without worrying about all the fiddle faddle. That way dum dums like me or those in need of quick whole project edits like the OP can do so effortlessly. Obviously there would need to be an insert time option for creating specific sized holes but that already exists. Well all of it already exists as you have mentioned. It would just be the way the command is approached by the program.

I personally think it would be a helpful simplification for video stuff like OP is doing and for me personally it would help me for some composition tasks (I like moving entire sections around as I write) and I've also encountered some problems when trying to manipulate and time correct previously recorded material in bulk (like whole studio sessions).

Again... totally not arguing and certainly Sonar can do all this (wouldn't want to suggest otherwise) I just think an alternate "whole project" editing option would be a helpful simplification of what can be a daunting task for us who are still a little shaky on things.

I do look forward to any Tips entry you write on this though because obviously I could use a bit of condensed, logical clarification on the matter.

Hopefully that's a little clearer. Cheers and thanks for the replies.
John
Forum Host
Re: move an entire arrangement in the timeline 2014/11/14 14:59:16 (permalink)
The important thing is it can be done! The options give it a lot of versatility.   

Best
John
Beepster
Re: move an entire arrangement in the timeline 2014/11/14 15:06:13 (permalink)
Oh and any holes created could default to the set project tempo/time sig and manipulated after if need be or set like a usual time insert.

Anyway... I'll go back to my corner and be good. :-p
swamptooth
Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2229
Re: move an entire arrangement in the timeline 2014/11/15 22:28:25 (permalink)
Anderton
3. Select all, and drag in the time ruler between the start and end times of the section to be moved. Now all the clips in that section are selected.

I think this item that craig mentioned is where people get hung up.  Select all does not include envelopes.  you MUST to the above step to include envelopes in the selection.  

Sharke, I get where you're coming from especially with soft synths.  One surefire way to make the process easier is to display the synth automation on the synth's midi track instead of the audio track.  that way when you select a clip with underlying automation, the automation is selected as well.  this enables you to drag the clip and automation anywhere in the project.   Selecting is tied to events in a track, so if you select a midi clip and also the synth output audio track, the automation doesn't get selected because there is no audio clip.  I hope that makes sense.  moving the automation to the midi track will enable the automation to be selected when clicking on a clip.

Arvid H. Peterson
Sonar X3E Prod / X2A  / X1PE | Cubase 9.5.1 | Reason 9.5 | Sibelius7 | Pure Data
Native-Instruments Komplete 10 Ultimate and a smattering of other plugins
Home-brewed VSTs 
Toshiba Satellite S855-S5378 (16GB RAM, modified with 2x 750GB HDDs, Windows 8.1 x64)  
Samson Graphite 49, M-Audio Oxygen 49, Korg nanoPAD2, Webcam motion tracking programs 
M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
Member, ASCAP   

Larry Jones
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 834
Re: move an entire arrangement in the timeline 2014/11/16 18:36:45 (permalink)
Anderton
FYI the clip grouping feature is really helpful when songwriting. You can create "blocks" of chorus, verse, solo, etc. and move around as you work out the arrangement.

Craig, if you're ever looking for a tip topic, I think it would be interesting to read about how you use this technique in songwriting. I  go back and forth between thinking I should stay away from the DAW until I've got the songwriting part finished, or at the other extreme maybe I should use the power of the DAW as part of the writing process. I've had good and bad results both ways, but getting a handle on clip grouping might tip the balance for me...

SONAR Platinum 2017.10 • CbB  Win10 • i7/2600 • 16GB RAM • Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 • NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS
Anderton
Re: move an entire arrangement in the timeline 2014/11/17 14:05:18 (permalink)
Not exactly the approach I described, but I think you'll find this article at least thought-provoking about adapting the songwriting process to computers.

At this point I have several methods for songwriting with a computer, and I find songwriting with a computer the most fluid, fast, and inspiration-catching process I've yet found.

ziki.records@gmail.com
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18
Re: move an entire arrangement in the timeline 2015/06/14 16:47:51 (permalink)
please, how to move song with mutiple tracks and mutiple clips in tracks from location with tempo changes to new placement with one tempo? In fact it is situation when i want to discard tempo changes without  distorting original spacing of clips...
P.
haandruss
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: move an entire arrangement in the timeline 2018/11/15 05:52:12 (permalink)
Other DAWs have a playback function that can easily shift parts, but leave them in the base arrangement in the track views until your ready to finalize. I think they call it non-linear playback. Very handy for songwriting and shifting things like AABA to BABA or whatever without doing a lot of drag/drop/cut/paste. I don't know how easy it is, but it seems like you can re-weave your arrangement without changing the tracks themselves and where they are on the timeline, esp. good for EDM, but other genres too. Cakewalk probably just hasn't quite gone all-in on that feature set (yet?). 

Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re: move an entire arrangement in the timeline 2018/11/15 22:10:36 (permalink)
You're replying to an older thread when Sonar at that time didn't have Ripple editing

Now that it does, this type of editing is childs play

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
JoseC.
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 471
Re: move an entire arrangement in the timeline 2018/11/16 13:47:50 (permalink)
This one came up a little late. Shouldn't zombie threads rise by Halloween?
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1