moving from 44 to 48 for all projects: cautions,...

Author
jm24
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2127
2008/08/30 09:41:20 (permalink)

moving from 44 to 48 for all projects: cautions,...

I want to start using 48kHz for all projects, new and old.

Suggestions, advice, etc,...

J

11 Replies Related Threads

skullsession
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1765
    RE: moving from 44 to 48 for all projects: cautions,... 2008/08/30 09:46:08 (permalink)
    LOL....

The proverbial can of worms......you've awoken the MATH NERDS!

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    RE: moving from 44 to 48 for all projects: cautions,... 2008/08/30 10:35:12 (permalink)
    For what reason? There's no reason to do that unless you're using a SoundBlaster soundcard. Besides, if you do, then you'll have to convert back to 44.1KHz if you want to burn to a CD.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    keith
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3882
    RE: moving from 44 to 48 for all projects: cautions,... 2008/08/30 11:33:31 (permalink)
    For new projects just set the default sample rate for new projects.

For old projects that sounds like a lot of work... What types of projects do you have? Just audio, or audio+MIDI? Do you have audio groove clips/loops in the project? Do you use per-clip FX? Do you use lots of automation?

The main problem is that you can't just change the sample rate of an existing project, you need to export everything and import into a new project. In the case of loop points, per-clip FX, FX bin inserts, automation curves, etc., etc. you need to recreate all of that in a new project! Here's the basic process, off the top of my head:

For each non-loop track in a project:

1.) Disable all FX, automation curves, etc. so that you can export just the raw track audio to broadcast WAV at the "native" sample rate of the track (e.g., 44.1kHz) . If you have per-clip FX that you need to repro then you'll need to export at the clip level as necessary. Broadcast WAV will embed timeline info into the WAV that will let you import that track exactly where it needs to be into the timeline of the new project (assuming the tempo of the new project is set to the exact same value as the source project!)

2.) Save all of your FX settings into presets and make note of all automation parameters so you can reproduce each track in the new project. Track templates would definately come in handy here.

3.) This step is optional -- you can SRC each raw audio track file offline using something like Voxengo's r8brain to get very high quality upsample. (One question: does r8brain support broadcast WAV? It must). You can also skip this step and just let SONAR do the upsample on import, as SONAR's SRC is pretty close to r8brain in quality.

4.) Import each upsampled broadcast WAV into the new project either at the track or clip level, and repro all FX and automation settings in each track/clip.

For each track containing loops/groove clips:

You'll need to do essentially the same thing as above except now you need to worry about loop points. Loop points and ACID meta data are stored as sample position offsets from the start of the file (sample position "0"). When you change the audio file's sample rate sample position "X" in the original file becomes sample position "Y" in the new file, so you need to go reloop/re-ACIDize all of those files using the new sample positions. I don't know if SONAR's SRC will adjust loop points for you on import (or will r8rain do the same?). If so, then at least resetting all of the loop/ACID points is work you don't have to do, but you still need to recreate the groove clips themselves (i.e., slip editing the clips).

The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: moving from 44 to 48 for all projects: cautions,... 2008/08/30 11:51:03 (permalink)
    I hate moving... it takes too long to unpack
    keith
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3882
    RE: moving from 44 to 48 for all projects: cautions,... 2008/08/30 12:03:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mike_mccue
    I hate moving... it takes too long to unpack

The nice thing about moving is that you don't have to unpack everything! The essentials get unpacked right away, then over the course of a year or so you figure out which of the remaining boxes get dipped into or not... an when you've tripped over those unopened boxes in your basement/garage/guest room enough times, it is at that point that the whole box, still unopened, finds it's way on a trip to the dump or out to the curb. As long as you don't throw away any critical documents or family pictures, which should be seperately packed and clearly marked anyway, you should be good to go! After my last move 8 years ago or so, I ended up throwing out 4 or 5 largeish boxes of just utter crap...
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: moving from 44 to 48 for all projects: cautions,... 2008/08/30 13:03:44 (permalink)
    :-)

I recently set up my system with the following work directories for SONAR projects.

SONAR 1644 (for legacy projects)
    SONAR 2444 (for most current work)
    SONAR 2494 (for occasional current work)

All my projects are in those, in dedicated folders with per project folder audio etc.

When I go to work in a different format I am reminded to step ot and switch my drivers etc.

best regards,
    mike
    Marah Mag
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: moving from 44 to 48 for all projects: cautions,... 2008/08/30 13:47:50 (permalink)
    There's no valid reason why converting a project's sample rate, all within Sonar, should be any more complicated than a simple Save-as with a "Convert Sample Rate" option. Unfortunately, we have to jump through hoops to do this. Perhaps Sonar 8. Or Sonar 9. Or Sonar 10.

Here's an alternate method for changing a project's sample rate that lets you bypass most exporting, importing, as well as the bypassing and recreation of all fx and automation settings, and which is far less tedious and error-prone. I used this method (first described here by Rosabelle) to convert projects from 96k to 44.1k, but it will work for any sample rate conversion.

The method is possible because of how Sonar's audio clips reference their underlying wave files by name: As long as Sonar can find the wave filename that's associated with a given audio clip, it will load that file into the clip, which is already correctly positioned and sized in a track that has whatever effects, envelopes, you have given it.

1) Do a Save-as of the project to a new folder (e.g., SongName-NewSampleRate) and select the options to "Copy all audio with project." Use Per-Project Audio. This will create a copy of the project and all of its audio.

2) Do another Save-as of the project, only this time save it as a template. Do NOT delete any clips or disable any FX or envelopes, etc -- save it exactly as it is.

3) Change Sonar's default sample rate for new projects to your new sample rate.

4) Go to the audio folder under SongName-NewSampleRate and use a sample rate converter like r8brain to batch convert all the audio to the new sample rate. CRITICAL: Make sure that the converted files have the *exact same filename* as the pre-converted files. r8brain does this automatically, by renaming the original source files.

5) In Sonar, start a new project using the template you previously created from the project you're converting. In the New Project File dialog, make sure that the Audio Path points to the folder where you just converted the files.

The project should now open with all of its clips, fx, envelopes, etc, totally intact, and referencing the correct wave files, which are now at your new sample rate.

Note, there may be some unusual errors reported for some clips/files. These seem to come from the problems in the sample rate conversion process, rather than from this method of converting the project's sample rate itself.

When I did this, I had to manually convert some of the files, and do some other salvaging of clips from the original project to the new one. It got a little messy. But I did not have to do any full-track exporting or importing, and I did not have to recreate any fx or envelope settings. So that made it much easier. But it is not a process I'd want to go through again.... though unfortunately I may have to.

HTH

post edited by Marah Mag - 2008/08/30 13:54:15
    DonaldDuck
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 789
    RE: moving from 44 to 48 for all projects: cautions,... 2008/08/30 14:14:58 (permalink)
    There probably is little benefit to changing the old projects.. it's alot of work to resample.. and some resamplers don't resample all that great.. and it can sound worse. I use Sound Forge, and it does a good job, but I have to resample the audio files one by one (track by track). I just find the actual audio files in the hard drive and change the sample rate AFTER making a backup copy of the project. I haven't done this recently, but seems like if Sonar opens up with audio files at a different sample rate, the audio sample rate trumps the default rate. Version 6 (or maybe version 4?) did this. I could constantly reset my settings and it would change them.. i finally figured out the project file had 44.1k/16 bit files and my 48k/24bit settings were just ignored. I'm not sure if this is still the case

I record all new projects at 48k/24-bit, and it boosts my ego although I'm not sure my ears can tell a difference.
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: moving from 44 to 48 for all projects: cautions,... 2008/08/30 18:49:58 (permalink)
    If you have Soundforge then resample under batch mode. Its not hard at all.

Best
    John
    jm24
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2127
    RE: moving from 44 to 48 for all projects: cautions,... 2008/09/08 09:35:25 (permalink)
    I thank you all for your insite.

I figger 48 is becoming the base standard.

Down sampling for CD is quick.

And to change rates requires changing 4 items (control serface/mixer, clock, audio interface, and sonar) I want to not change much.

But, everything is always more work than one wants to do.

So, changing any project with midi is right-out.

And stuff with a lot of envelopes,...

============

If this topic isn't, it should be a FAQ file.

Cakwalk should set up a Wiki for the FAQ files. And then the best explanations could be more quickly available. The forum search function is lousy.

==============

Thank you all

==============

==============================================
    Challenge yourself daily: Today stop using "UP" phrases, you will be a better person for it:

act up, add up, back up, break up, catch up, choke up, clean up, close up, cook up, cut up, doctor up, fed up, fill up, finish up, fired up, frame up, freshen up, going up, heat up, hold up, look up, measure up, open up, patch up, pick up, pony up, ramp up, roll up, round up, set up, shut up, stack up, suck up, tighten up, tune up, turn up, wait up, warm up, wind up, wipe up, work up, wrap up
    ------------------------------------------
    Geokauf
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 912
    RE: moving from 44 to 48 for all projects: cautions,... 2008/09/08 09:44:03 (permalink)
    I figger 48 is becoming the base standard.

Hello,

Only for DVD. For CD 44/16 is the only format allowed. You should choose your sample rate depending on the distribution method not what you "figger." There is no difference between the sound of 48K and 44K sample rates. If you will be distributing as MP3 then you can choose the sample rate you "believe" will make a difference - there is no standard sample rate suggested for compressing to MP3.

GK
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1