music

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
2012/06/29 19:44:14 (permalink)

music

edit to add a mix that reflects some of the latest suggestions made in the thread:

http://harmoniccycle.com/...2-rough%20mix%20v3.mp3

user name: indigogo
password: yeah man cool

way less hi hat spot mic and a pronounced kick. I tried adding some light reverb back in but now I'm enjoying the clean sound.

previous edit to add a mix that reflects some of the suggestions made in the thread:

http://harmoniccycle.com/...2-rough%20mix%20v2.mp3

I removed the reverb and backed off on the compression settings a bunch.

The original post is below:

Here is some drum and bass recorded last Sunday in the middle of a 36 hour rainstorm which was pounding on the roof. I am glad we weren't trying for acoustic guitar. :-)

http://www.harmoniccycle.com/hc/sounds/mp3/indigogo/Jamie%20Campbell%20and%20Dave%20Kelsay%202012-rough%20mix.mp3

I may attenuate some low frequency energy.

This is just rough mixed straight across with no envelopes. There is hi pass and comression on some of the tracks.
I'm waiting to see what the musicians want to do next. We'll make sure each song gets balanced with special attention to things like the hi hat and kick.

best regards
mike
post edited by mike_mccue - 2012/07/02 14:32:46

30 Replies Related Threads

ATS
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 877
    Re:music 2012/06/29 19:49:03 (permalink)
    I tried the password and could not get it to work.  I think it is bad idea to ask for listens and make people do this.
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:music 2012/06/29 20:08:07 (permalink)
    +1

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:music 2012/06/29 20:08:26 (permalink)
    The password works.

best,
    mike

jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:music 2012/06/30 11:46:36 (permalink)
    A log-in and password to hear a rough mix of bass & drums...? Think I'll wait for a streaming version of the finished track.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:music 2012/06/30 12:14:05 (permalink)
    Login a bit strange  take all types.

Sounds nice and open and airy.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    Razorwit
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1235
    Re:music 2012/06/30 12:42:25 (permalink)
    Hi Mike,
    A bit reverb-y (particularly on the bass git), but nice sounding for raw-ish tracks. What was the signal chain...particularly on the drums? Am I hearing some compression on that snare or is it my imagination?

Dean

Intel Core i7; 32GB RAM; Win10 Pro x64;RME HDSPe MADI FX; Orion 32 and Lynx Aurora 16; Mics and other stuff...
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    Re:music 2012/06/30 12:53:31 (permalink)
    Mike, I would love to listen to your music, but a login with password ? No.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    The Band19
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2795
    Re:music 2012/06/30 13:25:37 (permalink)
    I couldn't get logged in :-( and I left a DNA sample and everything?
    twisted6s
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2001
    Re:music 2012/06/30 15:25:12 (permalink)
    smell that?!? uh huh...TOO DAMN FUNKY for words brother Mike!!!!!, do da DAMN THANG!!!!!!!!

Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0 ghz processor, 8 gig ram, 2.5Tb drives, Sonar Platinum, Lynx L22, FMR Audio RNP & RNC, Mackie HR824, Neumann tlm 103, Window 10 64
    https://soundcloud.com/twisted6s/sets/tony-pruden

The Maillard Reaction
    Re:music 2012/06/30 18:15:31 (permalink)
    Thanks for the comments everyone.

I was surprised to learn that the login created such a reaction and I am sorry to learn that it seems like a bad thing to do.

This is one of the rare occasions I can share the stuff I do and I simply put out the same link I provided the musicians. It didn't seem like a big deal and from our perspective it is a strategy to minimize the ability of a search bot to locate the file and make it so easy to be stolen and offered for sale.

I have come to realize that some of the very worst sounding experiments I have ever posted online are now easily found on google for sale as ring tones.

I'm just trying to minimize the misappropriation of the music... especially with music that is the musicians' property rather than mine.

I shared the user name and pass word because I felt that the folks here would respect the privacy and it seemed like a safe way to share it without me getting in too much trouble.

Hi Twisted, thanks for the comments. The drummer is one of my favorite local players as is the bassist. They rarely play together but when they do they try to push each other really hard. I was hoping to grab that energy and inspire them to go further.

Hi Dean (Razorwit), Yes there is compression on the snare. It's a Beta 56a into a API 3124+ into a Purple MC77 for tracking and then I used Sonitus FX compressor with 0.4ms attack and 40ms release and I also have all the drums going thru a parallel compression routing down in the bus with more Sonitus FX compressor. Thanks for the comment about the verb on the bass. The bassist asked for it but we'll consider it detail for each song now that you alerted me to how obvious it seemed. Verb can be so tricky... it's always tempting to add more and usually I try to add as little as possible... and then I take some more off. :-) I'll listen again with fresh ears.

Hi Wookie, thanks for listening. about the verb on the bass. The bassist asked for it but we'll consider it detail for each song now that you alerted me to how obvious it seemed. Verb can be so tricky... it's always tempting to add more and usually I try to add as little as possible... and then I take some more off. :-) I'll listen again with fresh ears.

I'm on the road working... and I gotta go... sorry for any typos no time to check or fix. :-)

Thanks again.

best regards,
    mike

typos and fixes
    post edited by mike_mccue - 2012/07/01 13:14:38

Razorwit
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1235
    Re:music 2012/06/30 19:44:21 (permalink)
    Hi Mike,
    Thanks for the info on the signal chain...I was thinking it sounded like an 1176 (there's something about the release...) and now I know why.  Incidentally, how do you like the MC77, and have you used any of Purple's 500 series stuff? I've been eyeing it for a while but haven't gotten around to getting any.

Dean

Intel Core i7; 32GB RAM; Win10 Pro x64;RME HDSPe MADI FX; Orion 32 and Lynx Aurora 16; Mics and other stuff...
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:music 2012/06/30 22:33:23 (permalink)
    Not a fan of the verb on the bass, but if that's what you're going for... cool McQ.

I'm not afraid of logins and passwerds.

When's the next movie night?
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:music 2012/07/01 13:20:47 (permalink)
    Hi Dean, I like the MC77 a whole bunch. I usually just go for 2 or 3dB gain reduction on the way in and set up the gain staging for that. I use the fastest attack as well. I've never worked with the 500 series Purple stuff but I imagine it's sweet.

Hi bapu, thanks for the comment about the verb... comments like that are welcomed as valuable and helpful feedback. Movie night? When ever your ready to stop by!

best regards,
    mike

Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:music 2012/07/01 14:11:48 (permalink)
    I didn't mind the http login at all, but if it was for the prevention of somebody stealing these guys work you lost me there by providing a link along with the login to it.  A bot isn't going to steal some rhythm tracks, somebody on a music production site will more likely do that for you if that is a real concern you have.

These are both consummate players no doubt but this is very much at the noodling stage.

I don't like the sound of the snare because of the compression here, the guy is working in some nicely deft accents but all the hits are coming across the same level.  Hopefully the compression has been added post-recording and not printed at the input stage. It also doesn't sound a particularly good space to record live drums, maybe that's to do with the compression or added verb I don't know.  If you've got a room mic and it's not adding anything worthwhile to the drum mix although the rest of the sounds are well-recorded (which they are here) it's easy enough to fix post event, either these days by putting it through some convolution verb to suit, or actually taking a dry mix of the drums to a room you like the sound of, playing back that mix in the actual space you want to capture the ambience of and recording a single stem there, usually something like an SM58 or a pair if you want stereo is enough to do the job.  I've used a couple of radio shack PZM's in a tiled toilet block before now to get the desired result.

However the signals are nicely recorded for levels and neither of those guys are slouches I just think I'd have preferred hearing the raw captures of what they were doing here outside the context of any finished track as I probably wouldn't have touched anything they'd done until it was time to fit it among the rest of a production.
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2012/07/01 14:43:45

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:music 2012/07/01 14:40:51 (permalink)
    Thanks for the detailed feedback. Part of my interest in this project is in focusing on the drum tone, and the kit in that room. I think the suggestion to pull back on the reverb will help somewhat.

FWIW, there are no intentions to add further instruments.

It's just drums and bass played live... music.

I think I may back off the parallel compression and the stuff on the track and see if your suggestion to highlight the players dynamic touch can be realized. I was going for an over the top fat, fat sound, but what you have said makes a lot of sense.

best regards,
    mike

edit for spelling and grammar
    post edited by mike_mccue - 2012/07/01 14:46:45

Jonbouy
    Re:music 2012/07/01 14:47:18 (permalink)
    mike_mccue

Thanks for the detailed feedback. Part of my interest in this project is in focusing on the drum tone, and the kit in that room. I think the suggestion to pull back on the reverb will help somewhat.

FWIW, there are no further instruments intended to be added.

It's just drums and bass played live... music.

I think I may back off the parallel compression and the stuff on the track and see if your suggestion to highlight the players dynamic touch can be realized. I was going for an over the top fat, fat sound, but what you have said makes a lot of sense.

best regards,
    mike

I added some more info on getting a 'room' sound which may not be possible in your current room in the hope that it helps.  The point is once you've worked out how to get a good room impression wherever you are it then becomes easier to treat as a matter of course with an impulse of wherever you want it to sound like it is being played in.  If you use the basis of that stem to give you the 'shroud' of ambience instead of adding verb elsewhere it becomes much easier then just to knock the snare back a touch with a splash of plate if needed.

It's easy enough to do anywhere when you've worked out what the room is or isn't giving you and got used to the base sound you are getting from it.  You'll soon adapt for sure as the recording here is technically good apart from those nits.

I'd recommend the Chapel X-Y space in Perfect Space as a basis for experiments on your room track, if you've got a good room signal despite it being a bit lack-lustre in your new room it becomes clear how much sitting the rest of the clean drum mix on top of that can make an enormous difference for the better without any need for anything elsewhere.

Lots of play-time recommended.
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2012/07/01 14:59:59

The Maillard Reaction
    Re:music 2012/07/01 19:14:40 (permalink)

Here is a mix with the reverb removed and a lot of the compression backed off.

http://harmoniccycle.com/...2-rough%20mix%20v2.mp3

I tried one of Rhythm in my Mind's  Bricasti true stereo IR impulses in Pristine Space and it sounded nice.

I'll try a few different reverbs, the deep low end one is a favorite of mine but it will be cool to try other stuff, especially stuff that doesn't make the low end so cloudy.

The set up was Kick, Snare, Hi Hat, LDC Overheads, SDC XY room mics. There is some low cut on each track... some stuff at 20Hz some stuff at 160hz etc.

I reset all the compressors so they just grabbed the top peaks like soft limiters.

I did leave a mild setting of Elephant limiter on the Mains so that the track sounded loud enough to seem familiar.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

best regards,
    mike

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:music 2012/07/01 19:40:00 (permalink)
    The less compressed version backed off sounds better to me. It was too much in the first instance. Even with less compression the drive of the playing still comes through because that was how it was played.  

The only thing is the kick is not doing it for me tone wise. Is there a way to get a better snap and more detail on the kick. This sort of drum sounds is crying out for a solid kick sound to go with it then it would be much better. Watch out for high hat levels too. 

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    bapu
    Re:music 2012/07/01 20:29:49 (permalink)
    If it we me I'd just do drum replacement on the kick on the new version.
    The Band19
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2795
    Re:music 2012/07/01 20:47:15 (permalink)
    Ha, I was using indigo instead of indigogo. Pretty good drums and bass.
    Jonbouy
    Re:music 2012/07/01 20:49:23 (permalink)
    Yes that sounds much better.  I don't mind that kick sound actually there's nothing 'wrong' with it although some may have different preferences.

Here are some suggestions based on the mic setup you've given just to try out and see what you think.

Start with the OH pair what I like here is what I call a 'tight squeeze' basically HPF from around 180 to 200 khz, compression witha fairly low threshold so even the sharpest accents on the hats get into the zone, not too fast an attack but enough speed just to allow the initial crack of the snare through, GR about 4-7 db to taste and a long enough release so the cymbal swishes don't sound like they are washing back in badly.  The HPF should have taken care of the low end of the kick enough not to be carrying any weight and same with the toms, watch for any hyped areas in the highs where the hats or cymbals might sound fried. back off a little with a wide Q if that is the case you can use a high shelf to + or - the air to taste.  You are aiming for the whole basis of the kit sound here so spend the most time getting all the elements within a nice dynamic range but seriously taming any stray hits.

Move on to the room, I'd start out in mono here even though you've catered for stereo you'll get more 'thunder' and less mud from the low end by keeping in the middle and your OH's should be providing the width you need. Again you don't want subs here but unlike the OH's you don't need to go top heavy, so either shelve below 120 hz or use a HPF and pull out all those unwanted low mids you spoke about here, I often use dynamic mics in the room position in those circumstances there's little you need above 6khz anyway and it makes any verb you apply easier to control if you've remove anything that will cause your room effect to sound brittle.  Some people absolutely smash the room mics and that may be what you want although given this style I'd just give it a stern talking to rather than beat the daylights out of it but experiment with the comp here.  Also with your convolution try it before or after any compression, see what you prefer.

Get these 2 elements Room and OH working together first before moving on to any close mic augmentation.   The kick is usually easy to find the sweet spot where the subs are anywhere between 50 and 90 hz usually, I normally boost a few db there followed by a wide scoop to allow the bass the space, often a narrow peak will reveal some nice beater noise to give the kick some good impact to go with the subs.  Bring that meatiness in to go nicely with the rest.

Same with the snare eq to taste and bring in till it starts to add the detail that is still missing and no more.

Listening to this take I'd say it's very unlikely that you'd need the close hats here although they might have some interesting bleed to bring to the table.  If you do use them I'd suggest rolling off everything below 1500 khz and just bring out a bit of sizzzle near the top to add a little shine to what's already there but it does seem like you'll have a bit of peak taming to do there as well.

Mike this is all from the FWIW dept I'm not trying to sound like I'm teaching you to suck eggs I just want to help getting the most out of the drums in your new room and these are just the places I'd be looking at and are offered as my humble suggestions to do with what you will.

The Maillard Reaction
    Re:music 2012/07/02 07:53:22 (permalink)

Hi Jon, thanks for posting the detailed suggestions. Your basic recipe is almost exactly very similar to the way it was set up for the second mix example with the exception of the kick. I had concentrated on getting back to more of a real life sound and I was listening for the snare and basically ignored the kick. I am going to continue on a section by section basis and consider all those details as I go.

I am using the room mics a bit differently. I have a soft curve lo cut on them set rather high and the rest is flat and adding to the cymbal wash.

The hi hat spot mic is mixed about 9dB lower than the overheads. I think that mic will need the most envelope "riding" on a song form by form basis.

I generally sculpt the kick as you suggest. This was a RE20 microphone rather than the 47FET. I think I figured out the bass is ready for a fresh reso head just before I hit "R". The kit was in storage for a while during the remodel and I think it got knacker on it's rim. I think there's plenty to work with so I just take it all one step at a time.

I'm ALWAYS second guessing the snare tones. ALWAYS... that's just me. I'm thinking I may borrow a metal shell snare to experiment with.

Having said that, I think that Jeff's suggestion to look at the kick tone is spot on for this mix. I'm going to go in and sculpt it a bit and I imagine that your tips will be very close to where it ends up.

I think, for the first mix, I made the cardinal mistake of throwing some reverb and compression on after my ears were exhausted... and at that time it made the drums sound big and dramatic... but it was obviously way too much.

I like the tones now and it seems more like a studio recording rather than a boomy two track live tape.

Thanks for the advice.

Hi Jeff, thanks for listening. I'm gonna work on that kick today and then I'll try to figure out what the musicians want to do as far as sequencing a little demo package together.

There is actually 1-1/2 hours of clean material to select passages or sections from. I just quickly cut a collection together that seemed to serve as a EP demo without seeming too long for such a specific genre. e.g. Drum and Bass.

I can understand how it seemed obvious that these were just foundational rhythm tracks for a more complex project. Remarkably, this type of drum and bass duo jamming has a small but enthusiastic audience here in our local region so I think the intent is to just polish something up to serve as example of what one might here at a local jam session or open mic night.

For example; The bassists played all the loops live just as he does at jams. Now that I realize how much of it he does I plan to setup splits on his pedal collection so that I can get separate tracks of the loops as well as the melodic "overdubs".

I'm hoping to inspire the musicians to make more time for serious recording, because I think they have some cool stuff going on and they just sort of regard it as their regular old stuff.

I'm trying to get them into the idea of getting their sound out to a further audience. That is one reason I was able to experiment with ways to share this music... they don't think of it as a absolute possession the way some of my guests do. They are already in sharing mode... I'm just trying to add another level of technology. :-

They are helping me by jamming in my new setup and I am hoping to help them by giving them a great demo to hand out.

Thanks to everyone for helping out with suggestions!

best regards,
    mike

edited
    post edited by mike_mccue - 2012/07/02 08:27:14

The Maillard Reaction
    Re:music 2012/07/02 08:59:07 (permalink)

Here is a "stem" of a short section with just the Overheads and the room XY.

http://harmoniccycle.com/...2015a%20OH%20XYwav.mp3

The XY track is peaking approximately 6dB lower than the Overheads and it has a much higher low cut point. The low cut curve is also very soft rather than steep.

There's still a lot of kick in the OH... partially because I have it EQ'd with just a bit of hi-pass so as to accommodate the tom rolls. I'll probably cut into that as I sculpt the kick tone.

Are the cymbals brittle to your ears? I have a built in "low pass" if you know what I mean. ;-)

I have some ribbons which I'd like to use but the need for air conditioning between jams makes using them up near the vents to much trouble.

best regards,
    mike

Jonbouy
    Re:music 2012/07/02 12:54:15 (permalink)
    That sounds quite lovely and balanced.

See, once you have that the rest is icing.  The room actually sounds nice here now.

The cymbals have enough mid-range to carry through and are not burned out now you can add the sizzzle from the hats close mic, the real subs and click from the kick mic, snare's are a preference thing I always feel I like a nice wide boost around the boxy region of the LM's and some healthy boost pretty high up to bring out the shine of the snare wires and to bring some real brightness detail that usually is lacking from the distance mics.

But this really shows what I always say if you've only got enough mics for an overhead pair and a spare dynamic mic to serve for the room then you can record drums.

You'll get some fantastic drum recordings out of this space once you've got to grips with the newness of the room and have how to work with it sussed.  It's sounding good already.

It does help having the players though don't it?....
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2012/07/02 13:11:48

bapu
    Re:music 2012/07/02 13:33:57 (permalink)
    mike_mccue

Here is a "stem" of a short section with just the Overheads and the room XY.

http://harmoniccycle.com/...2015a%20OH%20XYwav.mp3

XLNT!!
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:music 2012/07/02 14:36:10 (permalink)
    Thanks for the encouraging words!

Here's the latest rough mix after working on the kick. I pulled another 9dB off the hi hat spot mic as well, and the space opened up. I also placed a bit of multi band on the bass to tame some overdrive that happened on the pedal board.

http://harmoniccycle.com/...2-rough%20mix%20v3.mp3

I hope I didn't over do it on the kick I like the low stuff. :-)

best regards,
    mike

post edited by mike_mccue - 2012/07/02 14:37:51

bapu
    Re:music 2012/07/02 14:45:37 (permalink)
    Sounding really good to me.
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:music 2012/07/02 17:30:13 (permalink)
    I like the kick more in this one too. When the kick is clearer it contributes much more to the overall rhythm of the music and interest factor all in the music and only by just EQ ing it right. I still would not mind the kick a little more modern rock sounding.

The hats can get too loud at times and then the drum groove becomes all clacky and toppy etc. Think of how loud the hats sound in a real groove situation. I play them soft and record then soft but recording them up close though keeps the intricate high hat rhythm alive in your drum stem. I used to let the drum OH heads get the hats but these days I am back on with the mike on them again.  

I am hearing a little too much room for my liking and I get the impression you are adding a lot of the room in to make it sound more live. I would start thinking less room and get a little closer in sound wise on the individual drum sounds. Also there is still too much overheads for my liking. When the drummer is getting into a lot of top end cymbal work then you can turn them down a little even to get them back in balance to the close up drum sound. I like drum OH quieter and little further back. But if there is not much more music than drums and bass then a more live drum sound could be nice but if there is much more to add in I would keep the room a little lower to start with.

I still feel the drums are sounding a little over compressed to me again in your last mix Mike. Are you screwing the compressor down because the drums would sound better without it or much less. I am used to hearing my kit playing back completely uncompressed and that to me is when it sounds the most open, dynamic and crystal clear and transient. Try a lower ratio like 1.3: 1 and maybe just get the threshold set so it is only doing about - 3dB of gain reduction. Also slow the attack down a little to let more transients through. Get the compressor sounding transparent but still working a bit. Compressor ratios multiply so keep them low on tracks and buses and overall mastering and you get a more natural compression result.

I tend to leave the compression on the drums quite low key and add the rest of the music and then start treating overall compression there rather than back at the drum stem stage. If you work at K -20 you can have no or very low compression on the drums and they will sound great with no overs in sight. Great playing by the way. 

post edited by Jeff Evans - 2012/07/02 17:40:36

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:music 2012/07/04 09:02:58 (permalink)
    Hi Jeff,
     Thanks for the detailed analysis and suggestions.

I gave my ears a rest yesterday and listened again to day with what you have written in my mind.

I think I tend to favor the sound of a room and pronounced overheads more so than a close mic studio sound, but having said that, all your suggestions seem pertinent and easy to appreciate if I want to work towards more of a close mic sound.

Thanks for the ideas about the compression. I really have backed off quite a bit but I still have some fast attacks and 3:1 ratios, but the thresholds are set to just trim the tops a bit.

There's no compression on the over heads until you hit the bus.

The hi hat track is peaking 18 lower than the OH tracks. I'll watch it song by song as we proceed.

I have a very little bit of parallel compression left in the mix on a 2nd bus... I think I am using it just as you describe... to augment for the lack of other instrumentation.

When I pulled back further on the compression to open it up more I felt that it wasn't representative of the powerful playing attitude both these players bring to jam sessions. These guys play a whole range but they really hit their stride when they play loud and hard and I wanted to keep that feel in the recording.

I give it another listen later in the week and I'll inform the drummer of the possible choices.

I thank everyone for the suggestions. I actually liked the initial track with the heavy drama reverb and the heavy compression. It was styled to be sure... but I actually like that live tape feel... that is how it came to sound that way.

After considering all the comments, I made the changes and am pleased to say that I like the cleaner tones even better.

It's funny, I placed the reverb on the first track at the very end... I had always intended too, so it seemed fine when I did it. Now I realize that I have returned to the stripped down tonality I listened to when I logged the takes and tracks and cut the segments together for the rough mix. :-)

Thanks for all the help.

all the best,
    mike

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1