my first post...let me have it

Author
VanAsher
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 77
2005/03/31 21:13:55 (permalink)

my first post...let me have it

It's in the hardcore/whatever genre, so be forewarned if you don't dig that sorta thing.
It was recorded and mixed by myself and mastered by someone else... I am the drummer of this band as well.
Just looking for comments on the production and trying to better my skills. I respect the opinions on this board immensely.
The song I am asking for feedback on is "In Fear of Lies"

Let me have it.

http://www.vancitybands.com/bands/227/

Andy

4 Replies Related Threads

jsaras
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2642
    RE: my first post...let me have it 2005/03/31 22:54:07 (permalink)
    I just listened to the first song, "In Fear Of Lies" and I liked it. The overall sound is on the darker side, but that is extremely refreshing for this genre. It makes for a richer sound and less fatiguing after you've been blasting it at 160db!

That said, I would have mastered it a little differently. The snare has a bit of a boxy sound and the overall EQ could have a more open sound in the low mids.

Nice job overall.

http://www.audiorecordingandservices.com ("one minute free" mastering)

http://tinyurl.com/3n6kj (free Sonar mixing template and Ozone mastering preset)
    pilfa
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 410
    RE: my first post...let me have it 2005/04/01 01:53:28 (permalink)
    very atdi. really tight recording. Quality track. \m/
    Snouter
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 105
    RE: my first post...let me have it 2005/04/01 02:44:04 (permalink)
    Andy, the elements are there for some tight metal, but I am a Black Sabbath type metal fan in which the vocals are sung. That is why in my opinion the song opens up and songs really good once your vocalist sings (instead of the growling type of thing) the chorus part about 3/4 of the way through. His singing voice fits with the music excellently, while the growling thing (I guess that is a popular technique nowadays) makes it sound abrupt to me. I would prefer the drums more out front and with the snare metal chain things engaged. As I am listening I notice the guitar seems to overwhelm the other tracks, and this becomes a little noticable as a result of the repetition on the content. A little tweaking of the riffs as they go might add more interest.

Overall, excellent work.
    VanAsher
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 77
    RE: my first post...let me have it 2005/04/01 14:53:32 (permalink)
    Thanks guys for the input.
    Yeah- the growling thing is definitely an aquired taste (for lack of a better term), and I don't mind it when it's appropriate but I prefer more singing as well. We definitely pushed our singer this time around to sing more and it's kind of a journey of discovery for him coming from a primarily screaming/ rapping hardcore background.

The snare I did have trouble with, and I'm not super happy with. I hear the boxiness your talking about Jonas. I think next time I'll try micing from underneath as well, but I had a lot of trouble trying to get the crispness into this ultra dense mix. My ghost strokes you can't even really hear. I guess it's a masking problem with the guitars? Or just my inexperience...or my ghosts aren't played loud enough
    Any suggestions would be welcomed

OH's were Rode Nt5's and snare was mic'd with a 57 on top not too close (I'd guess about 6" away) into Presonus Digimax LT to Delta 1010. It's a 14" X 5?" tama starclassic birch.
    It was compressed (I believe-Sonitus comp?-still struggling with completely hearing compression-but I'm gaining ground) -> sent to two aux's (one for a more low end punch and another for more high end snap) and then I also threw the PSP vintage warmer over it (seemed to bring it out a lot better than without)...that was then sent to the drum submix which also had a little compression over it.

I need to experiment with it more.

I love the sound of it when I'm playing it though.

when you say open sound in the low mids Jonas, do you mean less going on in there? Too muddy?

anyway- thanks again guys...

Andy
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1