need help with midi file that makes no sound

Author
bcimae
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8
2010/06/22 00:38:40 (permalink)

need help with midi file that makes no sound

I have a problem with a midi file that produces no sound. Please read this entire post before you tell me to check my volume setting or drivers or what ever. I actually have many midi files and most work fine. They correctly produce sound using Cakewalk's CWMC, Vivaldi scan, Anvil studio, windows media player, notation's Musician etc. Sample of file that works is \xyzingers\sound.mid. However, I h ave a file ( www.cottagevet.com\xyzingers\nosound.mid) that produces no sound using any of these listed programs. I checked the assignments for banks, channels, instruments etc in both files and can see no differences , at least to the extent of my knowledge. Can anyone help me make file nosound.mid make sound??    thanks

12 Replies Related Threads

bcimae
    Re:need help with midi file that makes no sound 2010/06/22 00:41:14 (permalink)
    opps url of www.cottagevet.com on first sample is missing
    57Gregy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:need help with midi file that makes no sound 2010/06/22 00:49:48 (permalink)
    Hmm... with a file name like "nosound.mid", maybe it's supposed to make no sound?
    If you drag or import the file into a MIDI track and open either the Event List, Piano Roll or Staff view, is there any data in the track?

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    bcimae
    Re:need help with midi file that makes no sound 2010/06/22 01:02:16 (permalink)
    files are samples of the problem. file name nosound is sample of failure, file name sound is sample of success. please download the 2 files and see for your self  (sample songs are one measure long) downloads are fast
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:need help with midi file that makes no sound 2010/06/22 08:32:03 (permalink)
    Dude.. that link takes me to a veterinarian's web site... 

If you wish to send  files.... here's a better way.

Go to www.sendspace.com and upload the file to their server.... a midi file will take just seconds to upload. When the upload is complete, sendspace gives you a link...post that link in the thread and we can all go there and download it to check out the problem.

Midi is data, as greg has explained.... and not all midi data is designed to play musical notes..... expression, volume, and lots of other data could be encoded in the track.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    Re:need help with midi file that makes no sound 2010/06/22 10:14:08 (permalink)
    Does this midi file work fine playing on your other apps? You seem to imply this but never actually stated it. Did you create this midi or did you get it from somewhere else.

It would probably be to your advantage to load it up in CW, select the track and view it in the Events list. This way you can see if there are  playable notes in the track.

Also, look for embedded patch settings which force the track to play with a specific instrument patch regardless if you have it available or not.

Other things to note would be settings which override your volume to turn it off or a transpose to notes not available for your instrument.

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

bcimae
    Re:need help with midi file that makes no sound 2010/06/22 11:45:34 (permalink)
    to Guitarhacker: I know, cottagevet.com is my site and the files are there as stated

to Tap: midi fiile 'sound.mid' works on all apps listed,  midi file 'nosound.mid fails on all apps.
    midi file 'nosound.mid' was created by scanning sheet music with Vivaldi Scan, saved as a midi file then edited down to one measure with cw so the sample is small and quick to download.

where would i look for embedded patch settings. the specified instrument is grand piano so it should play most any note.  
    NoKey
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 974
    Re:need help with midi file that makes no sound 2010/06/22 13:01:49 (permalink)
    BCimae,

If the file only contains Note-On Note-Off messages, the file does not determine what patch to play. It also needs to have info on what MIDI channel it is to use, and also at what level of Main Volume to start.

If you play that file in a MIDI sound module (hardware or software) that shows all channels and also the MIDI activity, you can find more things about it. Then in the channel where you see the MIDI activity, you can by hand or mouse click force a Voice, and also volumes, and likely you'd hear the music.

I'll later download your file and see what might be.
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:need help with midi file that makes no sound 2010/06/22 13:30:27 (permalink)
    The notes are there, but the velocity is set very low(a value of 1).
    You can see this in the event list.
    This makes the notes nearly inaudible.
    I'm not familiar with your file creation software, but check your settings.
    By increasing the velocity, you can hear the notes.
    hth.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:need help with midi file that makes no sound 2010/06/22 13:40:59 (permalink)
    Sorry; I thought you got this MIDI file from some vendor, but I see now that you scanned it in.
    Looks like RobertB found the problem. That really shows the utility of the Event List, too.
    If it's just a single measure, you can right-click all the notes and change the velocities of each note so they are loud enough to hear.
    If it was an entire song, well, that would take too long to adjust each note's velocity, and I would say rescan it after checking the settings, as Bob also suggested.
    Good luck!
    post edited by 57Gregy - 2010/06/22 14:47:57

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    bcimae
    Re:need help with midi file that makes no sound 2010/06/22 14:33:46 (permalink)
    Thanks a lot guys, changing the velocity causes the note to be heard. The software Anvil Studio allows the event list to be saved as a text file and a simple text editor can change all occurances of vel:1 to vel:100. Does any one know how to convert the event list in text back to midi format. I will also inquiry as to what setting in Vivaldi Scan changed to set the default velocity to 1 so that I can rescan but I would like to have this file fixed by Thurs evening for rehersal and I dont have much hope for Vivaldi responding in time.  Thanks again for debugging the file for me.   
    JoanMichele
    • Total Posts : 49
    Re:need help with midi file that makes no sound 2010/06/23 06:25:56 (permalink)
    Open the tracks in piano roll view. Open up the controller pane which shows the MIDI envelopes, including velocity, expression and volume. Zoom out the track horizontally until all the notes are visible in the window, and then select the PRV Draw tool with the envelope editing mode set to Notes/Velocity, then draw the velocity shapes on the bottom envelope panel. Also make sure that the volume (CC#7) and expression (CC#11) is at an audible level.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:need help with midi file that makes no sound 2010/06/23 08:50:07 (permalink)
    I went back to the site...looked all over it, and found no midi files.... maybe I don't know what I'm looking for or where to find it......

glad you got the answer none the less.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1