new Distant Towers tune, Ask Myself

Author
CreatingNoise
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1666
2012/05/29 09:27:59 (permalink)

new Distant Towers tune, Ask Myself

Hello Forumites,
  Hope everyone had a nice weekend and is doing well.

Distant Towers has a new tune called Ask Myself and we would appreciate if folks could put a critical ear to it.......we accept all opinions.

You can find it on our website here...
http://distant-towers.com/DTlatestsong.htm

For Soundclick compatible workplaces, go here...
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11672266

DT is.....

Tom McCaffrey:  Vocals, bass, lyrics, miscellaneous audio quirkiness, all things Sonar and band art/band photo manipulation.
Preston Richardson:  Percussion, drums and mixing advice for the kit.
Tony Wood:  Guitars, synths and a drum loop.

This tune has the distinction of being the longest tune from idea to finished product in DT history (well maybe second to Babble but the longest in recent history).  The idea came about late last fall and was put on hold while Tom moved to South Korea.  We picked the tune back up this year while finalizing the mix on Shattered and Tom put the finishing touches on it over Memorial Day weekend.  There was no question we would take this tune to the finish line because we loved the energy of it and Tom's initial vocal idea.

Special thanks to Preston for working his kit tracks in and around the original drum loop in the song idea which we all thought was cool.  It was pretty monotonous listening to it (the loop) but Preston jumped in and made it part of his lively drum tracks and brought the tune to the next level.

Okay, thanks for all your support, thanks for your listens and comments.

20 Replies Related Threads

morenoise
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:new Distant Towers tune, Ask Myself 2012/05/29 11:02:37 (permalink)
    Hi Tony, a toe-tapper indeed ; ) I enjoyed this, nice guitar and percussion sounds. Vocals sound very "muddy" to me, I can't understand the lyrics. Other than that it's a good mix of sounds.

Rik
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:new Distant Towers tune, Ask Myself 2012/05/29 11:04:36 (permalink)
    Another cool DT tune. "Future's like a ouija board"...classic! Got a Robert Plant "Tie Dy on the Highway" feel to it at times.

The mix at times is kinda flat...I am used to a lot of layers with you guys...the drums are super dry on that intro and a little more long tail reverb would fit in the menacing DT universe more.

The guitars have too much around 800k (I'm guessing) on the chorus that tilt it a bit nasally.

Lead guitar could have a bit more space carved out of the rhythm guitar for it stand alone.

foxwolfen
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8256
    Re:new Distant Towers tune, Ask Myself 2012/05/29 12:24:24 (permalink)
    Ha! I like this a lot. Well done. Zappasque. My only crit is the guitar during the chorus seems to drown out the vocals. Low toms are a tad muddy, but not so much it it would bother me if I was listening casually.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:new Distant Towers tune, Ask Myself 2012/05/29 13:47:13 (permalink)
    I do like it when I can feel the kick.

Agree there is a certain lack of clarity in places, I think James observations are probably on the nail or very near.

Great tune liked it.  Big Thanks for letting us in the doors of the Tower again so soon.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:new Distant Towers tune, Ask Myself 2012/05/29 13:55:42 (permalink)
    I'm not bothered by anything in this mix at all, the complete vibe and feel sounds great to me, especially up loud This is loaded with hooks, the verses are as memorable as the choruses.

Always hate to single someone out, 'cos everyone's right on the money here, but man, the guitars are fantastic on this track.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:new Distant Towers tune, Ask Myself 2012/05/29 14:37:12 (permalink)
    What a pleasant surprise.  A lot of things are happening and all good.  I would like to hear a little more bass guitar, but other than that, I thought the mix was all there.  Very good songwriting on this tune.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    Bob Oister
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2766
    Re:new Distant Towers tune, Ask Myself 2012/05/31 04:19:12 (permalink)
    Hey, Tony and Tom,

Another very cool, unique sounding DT treat for our ears!

Lots of really interesting textured layers with many neat twists and turns moving throughout this gem.  I really like how the shimmery sounding, "airy" clean guitars float over the drums in the beginning, the tone chosen for the tasty guitar solos is perfect for the vibe, and I love the rambling bass patterns during the second solo at around 2:55.  Great vocals, excellent drums, bass and percussion, killer guitar solos and a nice warm sounding mix, you can sure tell that you guys put a lot of work into this baby.

Great stuff, guys!
    Bob

groveendroad
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 809
    Re:new Distant Towers tune, Ask Myself 2012/05/31 11:08:05 (permalink)
    Strong sound, I do hear some Zeppelin in there at times. I like the efect on the vocal. however, I'm not sure you should use it through the full song. cool drums

Terry

notnat
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5236
    Re:new Distant Towers tune, Ask Myself 2012/05/31 17:28:47 (permalink)
    I always like your music... I like this one too... lots of texture, twists and turns... very interesting and impressive... Well done guys...
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:new Distant Towers tune, Ask Myself 2012/06/01 20:49:17 (permalink)
    Tony - I'm always a fan!  Loved that drum intro!

mix seems good to me.  love the guitars and synth.  man, more of those drums.  I really really like that!  is that loops?

I'm not super fond of the processing on the vocals, but that's a personal choice.  it does work for this type of song.

really cool stuff!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:new Distant Towers tune, Ask Myself 2012/06/02 00:26:34 (permalink)
    song sounds great guys. i agree a little too much upper-mid when the vox and guitars and organ are all going together, nothing a little eq-ing won't sort out. at times (pre-chorus) it sounds a little bare when there's just guitar and bass, maybe a little pad or some clean guitar in there would just help to gel it a bit more, though once you get into the solo proper it works (smoking playing, like that!) all the performances are superb!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    paulo
    Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6218
    Re:new Distant Towers tune, Ask Myself 2012/06/02 09:37:57 (permalink)
    I've gotten used to liking DT tunes right out of the blocks these days, so was surprised that this one took me back to the days when they had to grow on me a bit. Fear not though, it's growing by the listen and I'm singing along already ! Nitpicks - bit of noise on the beginning before drums kick in, vox a little indistinct in places, that synthy thing at around 2:39 is a bit too loud for me and wants taking back a bit and the fade out is a bit abrupt.  It did sound a little congested in places as has already been mentioned, nothing major that would bother me a great deal if you left it as is, but just not quite the clarity that I've come to expect. Been spoiled now y'see ! Mebbe just Tom not being used to his new mixing room yet. Or too much dodgy Korean beer.
    post edited by paulo - 2012/06/02 15:15:23
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:new Distant Towers tune, Ask Myself 2012/06/02 10:45:41 (permalink)
    Very nice.
    darylcrowley
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2700
    Re:new Distant Towers tune, Ask Myself 2012/06/02 14:32:12 (permalink)
    Love the vibe!  You couldn't sit still for this.    The backing tracks overide the vocals a bit on the chorus.

This is HOT!   Very cool tune.

Daryl

Daryl Crowley
    Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
    Windows 7 64bit Professional
    Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
    http://www.darylcrowley.com/
    thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    Re:new Distant Towers tune, Ask Myself 2012/06/02 21:37:02 (permalink)
    Hey all...thanks for stopping by!!
    This was an interesting tune for me to work as it involved more time than we are normally used to and dropped dead in the middle of a huge life-change for me...I think in the end it might have very well helped the tune in some ways and harmed in others.
    I won't go line by line at this point but I am going in and working the issue as described above...most notably is the crowed of some of the mids....James hit some of the issues dead on I suspect so I'll head in the directed you suggested out of the gate. Also Paulo gave some specifics that I'll work for sure (thanks me brudda!)
    Kk look forward to reworking a few issues and as always hope your all well and we thank you for your great ears and insight!
    post edited by thepogue - 2012/06/02 21:38:55
    eric paul
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 241
    Re:new Distant Towers tune, Ask Myself 2012/06/03 20:41:19 (permalink)
    hi tony love it sounds great on my system mix everything all good very engaging thanks for sharing eric
    Freddy J
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2348
    Re:new Distant Towers tune, Ask Myself 2012/06/03 20:57:34 (permalink)
    Really nice stuff.  There is a lot going on in this song.  Love the lead and bass interplay and all the interesting accent sounds around the 3:00 +/- mark. Great vocals.  I initially was going to agree with some of the comments above -- that the vocals could come up a bit -- but after listening a couple of times I am disagreeing with myself.  As they are, they add to the somewhat dark mood of the song.  Oh ya, great arrangement.
    Terrific!!

Freddy J
    Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:new Distant Towers tune, Ask Myself 2012/06/03 21:27:08 (permalink)
    When I grow up I wanna play the drums like that.

Well, and play everything else and sing and write and mix, for that matter.  :) 

Love it! :) 
    post edited by Janet - 2012/06/03 21:28:26
    evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:new Distant Towers tune, Ask Myself 2012/06/04 13:52:49 (permalink)
    Way to go guys!  I will just say that it is "very Distant Towers".  That means that there is excellence of the whole process from writing to arranging to production. 

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    CreatingNoise
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1666
    Re:new Distant Towers tune, Ask Myself 2012/06/07 06:23:41 (permalink)
    Hey everyone, thanks a million for all the listens, kind comments and helpful critiques and suggestions.  Tom will be creating a new mix in the near future using your critiques.  We appreciate the support you folks give us and we hope the new mix will sound better across the board.

Beagle:  The original tune idea was done with the use of two separate drum loops.  One played during the verse parts and then another came in during the chorus areas (and both loops played that the same time in the choruses).  What Preston did was to leave some of the original drum loop in the verse areas and fill in the rest with his kit work.  We wanted him to mimic the original drum vibe and he did that very well. 

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1