new old band

Author
alexoosthoek
Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5238
2009/03/25 04:36:31 (permalink)

new old band

You all may or may not know that I have a rehearsal room where I do my recordings and last night there was a blues band playing. They all stopped making music some two years ago never looked back untill a month ago, when they were officially stopping as a band.
And then it happened, they wanted to play music again!
MAN, they make some good sounding noise!!!, like they never stopped. And continued playing 'till the drummer felt like his arms would fell of and the guitar players could barely move their fingers!

And they were , it was a very special experience for me to look at those people making music again.

Regards,
Alex

The CHB
Some Live Demo's

Various ADK computers   and some thingy's
Have fun!

26 Replies Related Threads

space_cowboy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9813
    RE: new old band 2009/03/25 09:44:14 (permalink)
    They have blues in Holland?

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    alexoosthoek
    RE: new old band 2009/03/25 09:53:04 (permalink)
    Yes we do!, so it seems.
    Man, I open up my heart and you make fun of it

Regards,
    Alex

The CHB
    Some Live Demo's

Have fun!
    Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: new old band 2009/03/25 09:59:21 (permalink)

Sortof - we have the delta, but not the poverty.

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    Roflcopter
    RE: new old band 2009/03/25 10:01:00 (permalink)
    And then it happened, they wanted to play music again!

Sadly, if it weren't for greedy managers getting them to gig, we'd never hear a thing from some musicians.

space_cowboy
    RE: new old band 2009/03/25 10:11:19 (permalink)
    No I think it was cool man. I was playing with you. I am not heartless at all.

I have been to Holland many times. I think I probably ended up in techno environments because those were the only highly visible clubs, other than coffee houses (they smell funny).

I am sorry if I came across odd. I merely typed what came to my mind "They have blues in Holland?" as a surprised reaction as in 15 or so trips to Holland (granted, Amsterdam, Rotterdam...) I never once heard of blues clubs.

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    alexoosthoek
    RE: new old band 2009/03/25 11:10:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: space_cowboy

No I think it was cool man. I was playing with you. I am not heartless at all.

I have been to Holland many times. I think I probably ended up in techno environments because those were the only highly visible clubs, other than coffee houses (they smell funny).

I am sorry if I came across odd. I merely typed what came to my mind "They have blues in Holland?" as a surprised reaction as in 15 or so trips to Holland (granted, Amsterdam, Rotterdam...) I never once heard of blues clubs.

No harm done! I think you missed the in my post.

Don't know if there are any blues clubs but there certainly are blues bands.
    If I may ask, why did you come to our flat country other then visit the coffee shops?

Regards,
    Alex

The CHB
    Some Live Demo's

Have fun!
    space_cowboy
    RE: new old band 2009/03/25 11:43:00 (permalink)
    I used to be a sell-side research analyst. We had clients with ABN, RD's retirement fund - 3 or 4 accounts. Not as busy as say London, Geneva or Milan but important enough to stop every other trip. I figure I did about 30-40 trips like that over a 10 year period, so Holland would be about 15 or more. Never there longer than overnight. Always stayed at the Intercontinental in Amsterdam even if I had biz in Rotterdam or somewhere else. Great train service.

Your coffee shops are way different than Starbucks. No lattes, but great juke boxes. But it always smelled like something was burning.

While my trips were never more than one night, I made an effort to try as many Ristoffle (dont know if I spelled that correctly or not). Tried to hit some clubs to see what nightlife was like.

One thing that stood out as unusual was how diametrically opposed the average businessman was in Amsterdam versus the coffee shops, red light district... image the city is known for.

NEVER once used the services of the RLD. I worked with another guy who never missed it. Prices were low enough there that ANYONE could afford it. To me, there are some things that need high entry barriers.

Roflcopter
    RE: new old band 2009/03/25 12:04:02 (permalink)
    Ristoffle

Rijsttafel

Basically, when Indonesians prepared a table for their guests, it was the idea everybody joined in. Dutch people thought it was all for one person, as in 'yeah, I'll have one of those, too'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indonesian_rice_table

space_cowboy
    RE: new old band 2009/03/25 12:33:20 (permalink)
    Rice Table - translated into whatever language you want. They are all hard for me.

I have to give it to the Dutch, the Rice Table there is better than it is in SE Asia.

By the way, for anyone else going to Amsterdam, get someone to tell you where the best Rijsttafel is. It is an experience.

Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: new old band 2009/03/25 13:55:40 (permalink)

just because you were sold a mountain climbing trip there in the past ..

they have special cakes in certain coffee shops named after you *smirk*

space_cowboy
    RE: new old band 2009/03/25 13:58:28 (permalink)
    OK Fog I am clueless about the mountain climbing joke, but I am laughing anyway. LOL.

The only cakes I saw in Holland Coffee Shops were Hash Browns.

Roflcopter
    RE: new old band 2009/03/25 14:35:24 (permalink)
    mountain climbing joke

Holland has no mountains to speak of. The world may not be flat, but they forgot to tell Holland.

Fog
    RE: new old band 2009/03/25 15:48:58 (permalink)
    Roflcopter , I'd heard it was a pretty flat country .. then I was flying to Shipol.. and was like WOW it really is flat..hehe

I guess it's different from the normal, same when I went to Canada and everywhere "local" was 30+ minute drive.
    space_cowboy
    RE: new old band 2009/03/25 16:55:50 (permalink)
    Hey I live in Houston. We are trying to compete on flatness

alexoosthoek
    RE: new old band 2009/03/25 19:16:33 (permalink)

I used to be a sell-side research analyst. We had clients with ABN, RD's retirement fund - 3 or 4 accounts. Not as busy as say London, Geneva or Milan but important enough to stop every other trip. I figure I did about 30-40 trips like that over a 10 year period, so Holland would be about 15 or more. Never there longer than overnight. Always stayed at the Intercontinental in Amsterdam even if I had biz in Rotterdam or somewhere else. Great train service.

Your coffee shops are way different than Starbucks. No lattes, but great juke boxes. But it always smelled like something was burning.

While my trips were never more than one night, I made an effort to try as many Ristoffle (dont know if I spelled that correctly or not). Tried to hit some clubs to see what nightlife was like.

One thing that stood out as unusual was how diametrically opposed the average businessman was in Amsterdam versus the coffee shops, red light district... image the city is known for.

NEVER once used the services of the RLD. I worked with another guy who never missed it. Prices were low enough there that ANYONE could afford it. To me, there are some things that need high entry barriers.

So you were that guy I saw there, I thought you looked familiar , you went to more places in Europe then I did.

There is always something burning in the coffee shops and it's not very good for your brain I think. And it's business as is the red light district, you would be surprised how mutch money is going on there.

Regards,
    Alex

The CHB
    Some Live Demo's

Have fun!
    alexoosthoek
    RE: new old band 2009/03/25 19:31:19 (permalink)

Hey I live in Houston. We are trying to compete on flatness

Here at the very bottom of our country we have a "mountain" that is about 300 m high as I remember, so it's not completely flat.

You must have missed that when you were flying over it, Fog

Regards,
    Alex

The CHB
    Some Live Demo's

Have fun!
    Fog
    RE: new old band 2009/03/25 20:14:02 (permalink)
    Well Alex you kept that secret hehe I only saw right near the landing the land at lower altitude

I went to Amsterdam , Utrecht and stayed with a friend in Leiden.. I should go back to visit my friends, I've not been there since 95.

300 metre? that's just a hill surely
    lespaulman35
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 467
    RE: new old band 2009/03/26 02:59:38 (permalink)
    I've been to holland too. And I could almost swear I saw George Benson playing as a street musician there. But then again I was pretty drunk. I wasn't too familiar with George Benson at the time but I am now. It was definitely a very great black guitarist playing On Broadway. He was at least a great George Benson impersonator. Anyway, beautiful country what I saw (remember) of it.

Gateway GT5228 AMD Athlon 64X2 Processor 4200+ 250 GB Sata II WD Raptor 150 GB Sata II 2048 MB DDR2 Microsoft XP Professional Delta1010LT Audiophile 192 Sonar Producer 8
    space_cowboy
    RE: new old band 2009/03/26 12:03:30 (permalink)
    One of the times I went to Amsterdam, as I was coming out of a coffee shop feeling somewhat stranger than normal, I thought I saw Moses. And seven dwarves. And a baby's arm holding an apple. But I blinked and they were all gone. I can only conclude that Amsterdam is haunted.

Alex, I have been to europe tons and tons of times on business. I know it is 30 or more, but how much more? I went 6-7 times a year for several years. But the biz trips are not the same as really seeing the country.

I have gone a handful of times on vacation too. I am one of those nerds who prefers renting a villa or an apartment and living in the countryside for a few weeks - Spain, Italy, France...
    Have rented in St Germain in Paris and hung there for a couple weeks too. It is such a different way of seeing the country.

alexoosthoek
    RE: new old band 2009/03/26 16:22:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Fog

Well Alex you kept that secret hehe I only saw right near the landing the land at lower altitude

I went to Amsterdam , Utrecht and stayed with a friend in Leiden.. I should go back to visit my friends, I've not been there since 95.

300 metre? that's just a hill surely

It is a secret that a guy called George Benson lives there and some times he goes from there to Amsterdam and visits the same coffee shop were space_cowboy had his visions.

The "mountain" where he lives is the St. Pietersberg and is not 300 but 107 m "high" sorry about that!

Regards,
    Alex

The CHB
    Some Live Demo's

Have fun!
    alexoosthoek
    RE: new old band 2009/03/26 16:40:31 (permalink)

One of the times I went to Amsterdam, as I was coming out of a coffee shop feeling somewhat stranger than normal, I thought I saw Moses. And seven dwarves. And a baby's arm holding an apple. But I blinked and they were all gone. I can only conclude that Amsterdam is haunted.

Alex, I have been to europe tons and tons of times on business. I know it is 30 or more, but how much more? I went 6-7 times a year for several years. But the biz trips are not the same as really seeing the country.

I have gone a handful of times on vacation too. I am one of those nerds who prefers renting a villa or an apartment and living in the countryside for a few weeks - Spain, Italy, France...
    Have rented in St Germain in Paris and hung there for a couple weeks too. It is such a different way of seeing the country.

Yes I know what you mean, biz during the day and some drinks and fun in the evening. And go home as soon as possilble.

If you're on vacation there's no rush and you can look here and there and take all the time that you want.
    You can even spent a day doing absolutely nothing, just "exist" , I like that sometimes

Regards,
    Alex

The CHB
    Some Live Demo's

Have fun!
    alexoosthoek
    RE: new old band 2009/03/27 10:10:52 (permalink)
    102th post, did I win something??

Regards,
    Alex

The CHB
    Some Live Demo's

Have fun!
    space_cowboy
    RE: new old band 2009/03/27 10:28:16 (permalink)
    Havent you gotten notice about your free V700 thing after you pass 100?

alexoosthoek
    RE: new old band 2009/03/30 13:59:51 (permalink)
    No, must have missed that. When can I expect it?

Regards,
    Alex

The CHB
    Some Live Demo's

Have fun!
    space_cowboy
    RE: new old band 2009/03/30 14:04:54 (permalink)
    Well since you didn't respond, they are sending it to Bapu.

alexoosthoek
    RE: new old band 2009/03/30 15:48:20 (permalink)

Well since you didn't respond, they are sending it to Bapu.

MAN!!, now he has two of them
    Isn't there a second price or something

Regards,
    Alex

The CHB
    Some Live Demo's

Have fun!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1