new to synthesizers..!?

Author
slein
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6
2010/09/15 20:15:50 (permalink)

new to synthesizers..!?

hi
ive never worked with a synthesizer, but now i just bought rapture (just looked appealing somehow haha, and ive read it should be pretty user/newbie friendly), now the question is, where to start?!
im not just interested in tweaking existing sounds a bit, i wanna learn to build sounds from scratch, are there any proper tutorials for rapture or just about wavetable synthesis in general that i should know about? ive searched around a bit, but a lot of the tutorials i can find are pretty specific for some synthesizers and seem to skip certain details i woudl like to know to apply it to rapture.. would be nice to know for an example, exactly what kind of specifics different kinds of sounds possesses, and yes i know there are presets, and im scrolling through them to see the resemblense between similar sounds, but would also be nice with some explanations for some of the things..!

any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks! ;)

12 Replies Related Threads

D.J. ESPO
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 127
    slein
    Re:new to synthesizers..!? 2010/09/16 04:38:04 (permalink)
    ok i hadnt seen the book, ill see if i can get a hold of that., cheers! :)
    SysExJohn
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86
    Re:new to synthesizers..!? 2010/09/16 07:21:13 (permalink)
    Recently I bought Dimension Pro as I'd messed around with the Lite version and found it quite useful and also Z3TA so ...

Just bought the Cakewalk Synthesisers book myself and reckon it's pretty useful. Don't forget to go to the web site mentioned in the book and download the supplementary chapters and examples. If you want to get into synths then as suggested make a start with Triangle and run through the tutorials provided.

Just my 2d.
    SysExJohn
    tarsier
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3029
    Re:new to synthesizers..!? 2010/09/16 10:26:47 (permalink)
    I just need to add my recommendation for that book. It's excellent!
    S.Wallis
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 269
    Re:new to synthesizers..!? 2010/09/16 10:47:56 (permalink)
    I've got that book aswell and it's helped me a lot.

Also consider this video, which i prefered to the book as it coveres everything in more detail. http://www.store.cakewalk.com/b2cus/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=30-SARP1.00-20E. Well worth the price in my opinion! (Although i didn't pay for mine as it was included in a magazine i read - music tech magazine.) 
    PH68
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 564
    Re:new to synthesizers..!? 2010/09/22 13:19:21 (permalink)
    The best way to start is choose a patch, then just mess about with the knobs and stuff.
    Then just continue to try other settings on that same patch.

Do this with some different patches and you'll quickly get a feel for what the main controls are doing.

OK, so you may end up with sounds that are far from the original patch you started with... but sometime some of those new creations and tweaks become very useable.

~ Cakewalk ~ Arturia ~ Waves ~ Overloud ~ Windows ~
    SysExJohn
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86
    Re:new to synthesizers..!? 2010/09/23 04:46:46 (permalink)
    The other resource that Simon Cann provides for those new to sound synthesis is the most excellent (IMO) Synthesiser Boot Camp.

Here: http://noisesculpture.com/synthesizer-boot-camp

Working through the video tutorials there will not only give you a good idea of what does what, but also familiarise a new user with the terminology used in both subtractive and FM synthesis.

SysExJohn
    rm5700@optonline.net
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 969
    Re:new to synthesizers..!? 2010/09/23 05:05:41 (permalink)
    SysExJohn

The other resource that Simon Cann provides for those new to sound synthesis is the most excellent (IMO) Synthesiser Boot Camp.

Here: http://noisesculpture.com/synthesizer-boot-camp

Working through the video tutorials there will not only give you a good idea of what does what, but also familiarise a new user with the terminology used in both subtractive and FM synthesis.

SysExJohn

From that same webite, don't pass up "How to Make a Noise", there is a free version you can download

http://noisesculpture.com/how-to-make-a-noise-free-download

Sonar X3 Producer, Toxic Biohazard IV, Rayblaster, Minimonsta, OP-X Pro II, kHS ONE, Melodyne Editor, Saurus, ElectraX, LuSH-101, Gladiator 2, Rapture, Dimension Pro, Wusikstation 7,  Nemesis, impOSCar2, Sampletank2xl, SonikSynth2,  Battery 3,  M-Audio Oxygene 25 and Audiophile 2496   
    http://soundcloud.com/examigan 

slein
    Re:new to synthesizers..!? 2010/09/24 14:06:35 (permalink)
    just recieved "cakewalk synthesizers...", offcause i had to order it from uk cause i couldnt get it in denmark, so took a little extra time... but looks like it was worth the wait, just what i was looking for, the synth bootcamp on simon canns site looks interesting as well though.. anyways, cheers for all the suggestions! ;)
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:new to synthesizers..!? 2010/09/26 01:31:05 (permalink)
    Another trick is to find a basic programmed patch and insert a new wave file into it - to see what effect a change in the "occillator" has on the entire sound.  Then start twisting knobs - the only sure way to figure out what is going on.

Also note there are two definations/types of wavetable synthesis.  In Rapture, any wave file over 3000 samples (a fraction of a second) is scanned first and then synthesised when played back.  In old-school wavetable (ppg/Ensoniq transwaves etc) you have one long series of different wave samples in a file and you control the start/end points and how fast this table of sounds is moved through.  the same name provides all kinds of confusion.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    ChristopherM
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1921
    Re:new to synthesizers..!? 2010/09/28 14:16:13 (permalink)
    There is a huge amount of information here from SOS. It's about ten years old, but as it's essentially theory, it remains useful IMO.
    yayalala22
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:new to synthesizers..!? 2010/10/23 05:50:10 (permalink)
    Always begin talks with the statement, the mutually desired result. This simple action will put aside personal goals and the attention to the WOW Gold at hand. Show how your skills, products or services to achieve the stated objectives. If you speak from experience, people tend to support your efforts and respect your point of Buy WOW Gold. You have the ability to communicate information about your unique perspective to WOW Gold sale. In our competitive, knowledge-based economy, are your skills and knowledge are the key, you need the RuneScape Gold Power Level. Sharing your fact based, insightful ideas, even if they are contrary to prevailing beliefs, you'll become an indispensable part of a team.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1