Hi all,

gear:

winxp sp2 amd turion 64 laptop 1gb ram
M-audio fast track pro USB preamp/interface
cubase 3 SE as well as sonar home studio 4
AKG condensor mic
guitar/line6 pod
beyerdynamic headphones

I just bought most of this stuff to try to record for the first time, and I'm not getting any sound on to the laptop.

i'm running directmode out of my line6 pod v2 mono (left) 1/4", into the fast track A input, which is connected via the usb port.
monitoring headphones are plugged into the maudio unit, and produces sound.

everything is installed and hooked up properly, drivers etc (I'm a software engineer for a living, so i'd hope i know what i'm doing when it comes to computers).

ASIO testing passes.

the sound test lets me record a a sample... at least i think it does. the graph responds to my notes and silence, but i don't hear anything when it comes time for playback. possible, that could be my monitor set up and i'll deal with that later... for now i need to get sound onto the laptop

in the softwares, all i record is dead air... well, no, not even dead air.... absolutely nothing. flatline like nothing is even plugged in

I've checked and quadruple checked all the input settings, input device, volume, mutes, etc...

i've treid it in sonar, cubase, and the crap Live 5lite or whatever that comes with the maudio box, and not a single one of them pick up anything when i press record.

i have no idea how to get this to work. anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

5 Replies Related Threads

RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: no sound... trying to record for first time 2007/01/09 10:09:14 (permalink)
    Since the meter is showing activity, it looks like the signal is getting to the track.
    Did you arm the track? You need to do this before you hit Record.
    Its the button with the circle. When it's red, your track is armed to record.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    briansol
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: no sound... trying to record for first time 2007/01/10 02:05:07 (permalink)
    yup, track is armed....

it sounds like i did everything right, right? thats whats bothering me... haha
    RobertB
    RE: no sound... trying to record for first time 2007/01/10 10:43:44 (permalink)
    Rereading your post this morning, and I have a different perspective on the problem.
    I read the Flatline as nothing being recorded, resulting in a straight line in the graphic on the track.
    You also said that the graph is responding to notes.
    Are you actually getting a graphic of the wave form in your track view?
    What I see now, is that you have everything routed through the Fast Track(your active sound card), and you want to hear sound through your onboard sound card which has nothing routed to it, and ideally is disabled.
    Is that an accurate asessment?

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    briansol
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: no sound... trying to record for first time 2007/01/10 19:41:28 (permalink)
    i actually figured this out. I was set to the generic ASIO driver, not the one for the fast track. I am up and running now.

Thanks for your help.
    RobertB
    RE: no sound... trying to record for first time 2007/01/10 20:25:38 (permalink)
    Good deal. I knew you could do it.

My Soundclick Page

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1