no sound/input levels when recording audio

Author
dzurolo
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 45
2008/10/25 14:03:44 (permalink)

no sound/input levels when recording audio

Hello, I am fairly new at this, but here goes. I am currently trying to record audio/vocals onto a track, but am not getting any sound. However, I hear sound through my monitors, just not in the audio track. I am guessing it's a soundcard issue, and have tried everything.

My set up

Behringer Mixer-->M-Audio Firewire 410-->Roland RS-5
Computer Dell Dimension 2.00GHZ .99GB
Realtek Sound

5 Replies Related Threads

GrottoRob
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 677
    RE: no sound/input levels when recording audio 2008/10/25 14:54:07 (permalink)
    First off- Disable the Realtek device in Windows Device Manager. Make sure you have current drivers loaded for the 410. Start SONAR and run the Wave Profiler under Options>Audio

Before I get ahead of myself......What are you using for monitors/speakers? How are they connected to your 'puter?Which Berry mixer do you have? I assume The RS-5 is connected via MIDI I/O to the 410. You need to record AND PLAYBACK audio through this device as well.

You can hook your speakers to your mixer OR your 410, but you need to tell SONAR to use your 410 exclusively first as yer audio/MIDI device. Realtek sucks for this stuff...

More detailed description of yer setup is necessary to get you sorted. IE:
    I am guessing it's a soundcard issue, and have tried everything.

Like what, specifically? Also, which version of SONAR are you using? Windows XP or Vista?

Rob
    dzurolo
    RE: no sound/input levels when recording audio 2008/10/25 15:15:37 (permalink)
    I have my speakers plugged into the mixer.

I have the Eurorack UB1202FX

Yes, the RS is connected/Midi to the 410. I have my mic connected into the mixer, which runs throught the 410.

Not sure how to disconnect the realtek device. Can't find the windows device manager.

Sonar Home Version 4/ Windows XP.
    GrottoRob
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 677
    RE: no sound/input levels when recording audio 2008/10/25 16:04:24 (permalink)
    In Windows: Start>Control Panel>System>Hardware Tab>click Device Manager>.......under Sound, Video and Game controllers you should see the realtek device listed (I've long since deleted the driver, so I can't tell you exactly how it's listed...)....Right click the realtek device and go to Properties, where you should be able to disable the device. Once this is done, Start SONAR and do the wave profiler thing. This SHOULD set up SONAR to use yer 410 for everything musical.

Hook your speakers to the control room outs (on yer mixer) and hook a "stereo pair" of outputs from yer 410 to input 7/8 of your mixer....This will give you a "knob" to control playback volume at your mixer.......OR...

Hook yer speakers to a "stereo pair" output(s) of yer 410. Control playback volume via the M-Audio GUI.

There's not a whole lot of routing options with that mixer. Since you can hear the mic (I assume, once again), I think you have your speakers connected to your "Main Outputs". You need to connect these Outputs to Inputs on yer 410. Now you'll have mic signal getting to your soundcard, to record. As far as monitoring in REAL TIME as you record, maybe someone like Zungle will chime in (he's a signal routing genius)....I wouldn't be able to tell you how to do it without having the gear in front of me to play with, BUT.....at any rate, I hope this bit helps get you going........

We'll get you there-
    Rob
    dzurolo
    RE: no sound/input levels when recording audio 2008/10/25 16:41:39 (permalink)
    Thank you so much! It's all finally working!!! I plugged my main mixing outs into the inputs on the 410.
    papa2004
    Max Output Level: -10.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6475
    RE: no sound/input levels when recording audio 2008/10/25 16:46:47 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dzurolo

Hello, I am fairly new at this, but here goes. I am currently trying to record audio/vocals onto a track, but am not getting any sound. However, I hear sound through my monitors, just not in the audio track. I am guessing it's a soundcard issue, and have tried everything.

My set up

Behringer Mixer-->M-Audio Firewire 410-->Roland RS-5
    Computer Dell Dimension 2.00GHZ .99GB
    Realtek Sound

1) Are you arming the audio track to record the input? (I know, a basic question but you're admittedly "new at this" so I thought I'd ask);

2) Have you been able to playback (and hear) any of the tutorials that deal with audio?

3) Are the record level meters of the audio track showing any input?

4) Disable the Realtek chipset in your BIOS settings.

5) Make sure you're selecting the analog options of the M-Audio in SONAR's "Options"->"Audio"->"Drivers" dialog box.

It's important that you eliminate the obvious first (not hearing any sound at all, regardless of your settings). Have you tried importing an audio file into HS and playing it?

Regards,
    Papa
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1