oh dear venturing into electronic music...

Author
mgh
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8594
2008/10/29 17:31:20 (permalink)

hi again

had this tune in my head for about a year, finally got round to doing something with it, but, oh my it's turned out to be an electronica stylee...not something i'm overtly familiar with...if it ain't got guitars i'm stuffed...so looking for some help please from you gurus of the dance floor (or even you non-gurus!). this is a first rough mix, there's no vox yet, and i should get my new monitors friday...yay! need some help with levels, eq so the mix ain't too dense, and also any suggestions such as if there's too much of one sound, need an alternative etc...

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=725243&content=music and choose 'untitled'.

thanks in advance.

(if it's poo tell me, i've got the guitar amp switched on...)

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd

22 Replies Related Threads

notnat
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5236
    RE: oh dear venturing into electronic music... 2008/10/29 17:43:50 (permalink)
    "I may be totally wrong butIma, Dancin' Fool ool ool"
    zappa

Well done...
    post edited by notnat - 2008/10/29 17:49:14
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    RE: oh dear venturing into electronic music... 2008/10/29 18:13:49 (permalink)
    With a solid mix, this could be a sweet thing. This mix overmodulated my speakers at ~ 150-300hz. The beats are way in the back and completely overwhelmed. The synth sweeps need an eq job and some db cut.
    Taylor_514C
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1215
    RE: oh dear venturing into electronic music... 2008/10/29 19:41:29 (permalink)
    Definitely cool, but I would have never expected this from you. Everything is in your face on the mix, and it works, but I think it would help to vary the levels on the synths a bit more throughout the mix.

That tone starting around 2:30 was a bit too loud.

Taylor_514CMy Music:

mose
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 513
    RE: oh dear venturing into electronic music... 2008/10/29 20:48:16 (permalink)
    The introduction had me totally faked out. Then, things took off, and I thought it all sounded pretty cool. Some parts do sound a tad hot, but all of the right ingredients are there. I'd like to hear more like this.

www.soundclick.com/russellmosemann (Electronica flavored ear candy)
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    RE: oh dear venturing into electronic music... 2008/10/30 00:35:22 (permalink)
    Had to listen to this on lo-fi on lap-speakers.

No matter!

This song is by far my favorite song of yours, no matter what the stage.
    I seriously love this one at least 1000 times more than any of the other stuff I've heard from you (all of it put together). I gave this 5 stars.

The synth sounds orchestral. What are you doing? This seems like a breakthrough, IMHO. I've got to try it and learn it. Pray tell us what you're using.

Reminds me of ELO doing light orchestra with tunes like 'Daybreaker', 'Joker', etc.. It commands awe, joy, elation, etc. ... with or without lyrics.

It builds up and un-peals in various layers of shroomy melodic cascades.

On 2nd listen, I continue to feel the same elation, even more ... from this. There's an aweful lot of majic in this piece.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: oh dear venturing into electronic music... 2008/10/30 05:33:50 (permalink)

Mark, you almost make it sound like that's a bad thing...

More importantly that ghastly old avatar of yours has gone........you see it's all progress.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: oh dear venturing into electronic music... 2008/10/30 10:40:53 (permalink)
    I can't wait until you add some guitar playing to this as well!! I liked this, but, I want some git added to this. Get crackin'!!! LOL! I think you done good on this man.

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    mgh
    RE: oh dear venturing into electronic music... 2008/10/30 13:07:26 (permalink)
    well thanks everyone so far

Frank - thanks to frank! this should be filed under...it shouldn't happen in music, i feel!

James - yep i agree there are lots of frequency overlaps,in particular the high mids, and the drums need to cut thru more. as i said,this is a first mix and i need constructive criticism like yours!! many thanks!!

Doug - everything is very centred, although some of the fx do pan,yep i need to get a serious knife in on this one. thanks!

Russell- yep, unlike working with real instruments, the relative volumes of different softsynths makes it hard to get all the elements placed, so the mix is too hot,plus i just strapped ozone across the master buss before getrting the mp3, just so i could tame it a little...cheers for the listen.

Philip - un-oh, does this mean my previous stuff is pants? cosi'm the other way round!!! just so you know, the pads are 3 different sounds - from Pentagon, from DropZone and from....erm is it Sun-Ra? some kinda free atmosphere vsti. the drums are ersdrum, with a doubled kick in some sections, the bass and little motif sound are from z3ta+, and the piano/harpsichord are,erm, my digital piano on piano and harpsichord sound, giving a little mangling through an mda plug...
    glad you like it,i do plan on adding vox, just not siure whether to go for singing or a Faithless style Sprechgesang thing...many thnaks for your kind words.

Jon - the avatar may be resurrected when the Liverpool bubble works...well electronica isn't a bad thing, but it's normally used to add a nice flavouring to my meat and 2 veg guitars and drums, not as the whole thing...i got a lot to learn but this past few months almost everything i write is on piano - i've got a piano ballad and a Keane type piece also written which just needs recording...so i figured i need to use all this stuff more...any help gratefully accepted!

Larry - don't onow how to break it to ya...but this ain't gonna have any guitar on it (runs away and hides....) it might work but i have so much stuff in it already! can't mix it now!!! cheers for listening dude!!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: oh dear venturing into electronic music... 2008/10/30 14:15:07 (permalink)
    I'm not an electronica fan...but this was interesting.... can't offer help on the mix. Nice tones and lots of stuff happening in there....

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    cryophonik
    Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: oh dear venturing into electronic music... 2008/10/30 14:44:06 (permalink)
    Dang, Mark - cool track! This one has a lot of potential, but as you mentioned, definitely needs help with the mix.

In order to make it more dancefloor-friendly, I think you need to get the kick drum up considerably, but right now, there are too many other instruments occupying those lower frequencies. So, I'd start by high-pass filtering pretty much every synth part to get rid of any unnecessary mud, pan them apart to reduce the clutter in the center of the mix and then bring the kick drum (and other drums) up in the mix. Better yet, drop all the levels to zero and bring up the drums - EQ, pan, and level them where you want them, then bring the remaining synths in one at a time -hi-pass filtering, panning, and setting the levels as you go. That should get you mostly there, then it's time to get surgical with the EQ and effects and dial it in.

I really like this track - it has a nice dark, future-pop sound reminiscent of some of the earlier VNV Nation stuff, if you're familiar with them. I can't wait to hear the final (or interim) mix!

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
    Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: oh dear venturing into electronic music... 2008/10/30 16:25:46 (permalink)
    Well, Mark, you great big Pet Shop Boy!

I liked it actually, some cool melodies weaving in and out. The mix needs some attention, but Dave's got you covered.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    rolifer@verizon.net
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1676
    RE: oh dear venturing into electronic music... 2008/10/30 21:51:49 (permalink)
    Mark

Perhaps a bit of eq and lighten up some of the lower freaks?

For electro it sounds pretty good.

Ron
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: oh dear venturing into electronic music... 2008/10/30 22:07:32 (permalink)
    nope, it's not poo, mark! very interesting! sounds like it was fun!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: oh dear venturing into electronic music... 2008/10/30 23:12:09 (permalink)
    It sounds fantastic to me up to about 2:20 and then things get a bit noisy as mentioned.

If you are new to synths, the fix may be in the synth itself as opposed to the track. Check the levels and filters on whatever synth program you are using as a lot are "hot out of the box" and even turning down the tracks does not fix it properly I have discovered. Sometimes it just one effect that's really killing the sound outside the DAW (in sonar often sounds fine).

Be careful with using the track effects bin on most synths... they are already well treated and effecting it as you would vox or guitar will make it worse not better. Use the synths effects.

Great first dab at keyboard driven music. I am impressed. You had far more success with your first dab into keys than I had into guitars.

Cheers
    Shad
    post edited by foxwolfen - 2008/10/30 23:16:36

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    mgh
    RE: oh dear venturing into electronic music... 2008/10/31 18:49:00 (permalink)
    herb - thanks for the listen dude!

dave - hey great, that's EXACTLY the kinda stuff i was looking for, i will certainly be implementing your ideas when i get a chance to fire up sonar again! gotta say i never heard of VNV nation, but i am kinda familiar with Faithless and Portishead and i likie that sorta minor-key electronic style...dunno if you've heard of a Norweigan act called Starofash, that's about as far as i go - oh, and also Ian Brown around Music of the Spheres...

James - Pet Shop Boys - omg i think i crossed youi off my xmas card list... actually PSB had some great tunes in thier music (coughs, will deny that statement if questioned on oath)

Ron - hey thanks for the listen, i wish i could write classical like you, it's one of the areas i really wish i had the talent for, like sometimes some things are in my head, but i can't get that music onto paper, even though i have a good grasp of theory...

Reece - thanks for dropping by. it's interesting is something a few people have said, i take that as 'there's too much going on, lotsa ideas but nothing solid', so i'll take that on board!!

Shad - hey some good po0int there, my problem is i don't really know what those controls do most of the time!! i need to find out what filters etc mean and do!!!

thanks everyone!

Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: oh dear venturing into electronic music... 2008/10/31 21:17:14 (permalink)
    LOL! You're putting words in my mouth!!!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    maxsax
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 581
    RE: oh dear venturing into electronic music... 2008/11/02 18:57:01 (permalink)
    Thanks I enjoyed it. For me it was a nice listen and held my attention. Why make it a dance track? It's working as a listening track. If you beef up the bass drum too much people are going to be drawn away from what you have got going on in the mids which is where your composition is. Do another tune with a kickin bass.

http://www.saxatronica.co.uk/
    http://www.martinsharpe.com/

Q660, Asus P5K SE, 2 Gig RAM, Windows 8 Pro 32bit RME 9632 ASIO X2A
    SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    RE: oh dear venturing into electronic music... 2008/11/03 20:38:20 (permalink)
    Hey Mark

That's cool mate - I'm liking this an awful lot.

The chord progression works a treat - but it's far too musical to be a 'dance' song

Cracking stuff

Steve

post edited by SteveStrummerUK - 2008/11/03 20:41:49

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Ian Ferrin
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 527
    RE: oh dear venturing into electronic music... 2008/11/05 01:17:08 (permalink)
    Sound real good to me. The only thing I can think is that the actual drum parts you have need to be a bit more prominent.

But actually, as electronica, it sounds fine to me... as a dance mix, well then you probably need more beat. It's a real nice tune.

Peace,

Ian

"Everyone is a 'believer' - even if you don't believe, that's a belief" - Me

Songs - (at soundclick)
    Sonar Platinum, Native Instruments Komplete 10u, Korg N1R X2 (for some reason I still love this old synth).
    d45
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 112
    RE: oh dear venturing into electronic music... 2008/11/14 10:55:07 (permalink)
    I hate the term electronica. It means absolutely nothing.
    Your track was OK, a bit formulaic and I really think a case of less is more would definitely apply here.
    Blades
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3246
    RE: oh dear venturing into electronic music... 2008/11/14 16:10:20 (permalink)
    Love that little "Muse" sounding arpegiated thing around 2:30. Not sure about the production at that point, but I love those kinds of changes. If you haven't listened to Muse "Blackholes and Revlations", specifically the opening song (Take a Bow), you should check it out - though the lyrics may bother some and the production is WAY over the top as to make it hard to listed to for a long time, they definitely have a sound that is Electronica meets Progressive Rock.

Here's a snippet from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0011Z8NVQ/ref=dm_mu_dp_trk1?ie=UTF8&qid=1226696939&sr=8-1

Blades
    www.blades.technology  - Technology Info and Tutorials for Music and Web
    robby
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5819
    RE: oh dear venturing into electronic music... 2008/11/14 16:21:55 (permalink)
    Some minor timing anomalies in the intro between the guitar and piano. But it's pretty small.

I listened to this once already, and thought I posted on it, but I don't see it so.

A beautiful and compelling song... So sad. Very well written, it's so poignant and so touching that it is difficult for me to listen to. I hear the emotion in your voice. Good job, there are some things you can touch up, but it’s really just a really good song, almost made me cry…

==================
    It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1