one project - two computers

Author
Brandon de Ashe
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 47
2013/01/01 07:54:21 (permalink)

one project - two computers

Before i complicate things by working on the same project on 2 seperate computers (due to logistical reasons) i wonderd if any of you actually do this without any problems.

I understand Bundle files and can see their value but in the following example they may not work.

I have MC6 set up on two PCs and i have a load of VSTs on each of the machines. If I transferred a normal work file from one PC to another the work file from PC1 would have the locations of the VSTs and the soft synths etc in a different location i.e. filepath to those on PC2 even though the same synths existed on both machines - just in different locations on the respective hard drives.

There is obviously going to be an issue here and i don't see that a bundle file could remedy this - am i right or am i thinking too negatively?

Many thanks and happy new year to all.

4 Replies Related Threads

jhughs
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1179
    Re:one project - two computers 2013/01/01 12:37:58 (permalink)
    I'd say make the Bundle file and try it.  I'm pretty sure the file paths are saved with the software config and not with the project. 
    post edited by jhughs - 2013/01/01 12:41:34

ASUS P5ND/Intel E8500, Line6 Toneport UX2/PODFarm, Sonar, Axiom 25, Blue Bluebird, Audio-Technica AT3035s, Blue Snowflake, Line6 Spider IV 150 & AMPLIFI, Crate 1

J Hughs Soundclick
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re:one project - two computers 2013/01/01 14:23:46 (permalink)
    The only issue you may have is if you create presets. Presets will need to be synced by hand. Also, if your software uses per-project folders, you might want to use those instead of bundles. Bundles will work but represent a very old way of sharing CW projects and are pretty much provided for backward compatibility. Using per-project folders you can copy the project easily at the OS level by copying the project directory or using the "Save As" function inside the DAW. The "Save As" function has the added benefit of only copying the wav files that are actually used in the project.
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:one project - two computers 2013/01/01 14:59:26 (permalink)
    yea, per project folders, including audio and project file.  You can just copy the whole shebang between computers - just get a 16 gig thmb/key drive.

Any missing plugs will have a warning - the file paths for them shouldn't matter.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Brandon de Ashe
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 47
    Re:one project - two computers 2013/01/01 17:13:44 (permalink)
    Ok will give it a try cheers guys.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1