opinionated question

Author
nodrog182
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 44
2007/06/23 18:39:49 (permalink)

opinionated question

I have a question for everyone out there.. My question is what do u think is the best quality of recording for a musician who does all of his/her recording with mic and guitar into the computer and does all of the mixing and mastering in sonar and with software.

Analog, digital, or firewire?? and why?

27 Replies Related Threads

lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: opinionated question 2007/06/23 18:43:38 (permalink)
    The correct answer is: All of the above. Seriously. Are you wrestling with something in your recordings that you're having a particuler issue with? Just curious.

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: opinionated question 2007/06/23 18:47:51 (permalink)
    Is it acoustic guitar. If its acoustic guitar, its best to record at 24/96. If your mic'ing an amp with an electric guitar, 24/48 is good enough. These are not law, its just my own opinion, that with acoustic guitars, the higher sample rate will give you better results than 48 or 44.1kHz. You may not notice it. But your dog will and he is mans best friend. So its best to let him hear the most out of your music.
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    nodrog182
    RE: opinionated question 2007/06/23 19:11:11 (permalink)
    well i am recording recording my guitar and vocals and want a professional clean sound.. I am currently using a behringer 1204 mixer and m audio audiophile2496 to do this, and i want to upgrade.

was wondering if firewire would be better... was thinking of buying a Presonus FP10 firepod 24-bit/96K FireWire Recording Studio
    post edited by nodrog182 - 2007/06/23 19:19:30
    Thomas Campitelli
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 598
    RE: opinionated question 2007/06/23 19:15:41 (permalink)
    You should run a little test for yourself. Record a couple of passes at a guitar part using different bit depths and sampling rates (including 16-bit/44.1). Then leave it alone for about a day. Have a friend come in play the various parts back for you without telling you what is being played. See if you can tell the difference. I would bet you will have a very tough time differentiating between the tracks.

Thomas Campitelli
    http://www.crysknifeband.com
    nodrog182
    RE: opinionated question 2007/06/23 19:20:16 (permalink)
    so your saying theres no difference in a Presonus Firepod and a behringer 1204 mixer ran into an m audio 2496 card??
    post edited by nodrog182 - 2007/06/23 19:26:53
    CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: opinionated question 2007/06/23 20:08:14 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: nodrog182

so your saying theres no difference in a Presonus Firepod and a behringer 1204 mixer ran into an m audio 2496 card??

Oh, theres difference. But whos to say whats better. Thats for you to say, not us.
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Joe Bravo
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1870
    RE: opinionated question 2007/06/23 21:11:57 (permalink)
    "so your saying theres no difference in a Presonus Firepod and a behringer 1204 mixer ran into an m audio 2496 card??"

He's just saying that the difference is so negligible that probably no one will hear the difference. Behringer makes a good clean mixer, although some models tend to "break" quicker than others. The old Eurorack series was a good one. But these days even the cheapest mixers have great pre-amps and are dead quiet. If you click on my user-name and go to my website you'll find a link called "Sound Tests" where I put a Behringer mixer up against a ART Tube MP. They sound very close. There are also some test for various sample rates/bits.

If you search this site you'll find several threads about this stuff from the past.
    nodrog182
    RE: opinionated question 2007/06/24 00:32:31 (permalink)
    i am just wondering if it would be a good upgrade, or if i should just stick with what i currently use
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    RE: opinionated question 2007/06/24 00:47:24 (permalink)
    nodrog, ur setup will give perfectly good results. unless you have $2000 to speand on a new mic, preamp/mixer and soundcard, you won't see any difference. better off spending spare dough on a better mic, guitar or good software. imho.

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: opinionated question 2007/06/24 12:05:02 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: nodrog182
    well i am recording recording my guitar and vocals and want a professional clean sound.. I am currently using a behringer 1204 mixer and m audio audiophile2496 to do this, and i want to upgrade.

was wondering if firewire would be better... was thinking of buying a Presonus FP10 firepod 24-bit/96K FireWire Recording Studio

two problems i see - one potential, one not: your mixer may have a higher noise floor than a mixer of higher quality (say a mackie or soundcraft). you are using an audiophile 2496, which if memory serves uses unbalanced analog connections. a card with balanced (1/4" TRS) like the echo mia midi, or pretty much any firewire card i would think, will help reject any hum you might experience and will generally be quieter than an unbalanced setup.

as for bit depths, if your target output is 16-bit you probably won't be able to tell the difference between recording at 16-bit and 24-bit, particularly if you are doing mainstream music where no one cares about dynamics anymore. but, 24-bit recording allows you to record without having to be concerned about headroom. if you peak at -12db, or event -20db, it's no biggie. with 16bit that can be a problem.

there is an audible difference between 44.1khz and 96khz, and anyone who thinks there isn't doesn't know what to listen for (better stereo spread, better high-end resolution) or is deaf. if you've ever played a movie with DTS (24/96, 6.1 surround) on a decent home stereo you'll know what i'm talking about. the problem is, once again, what your output sample rate will be. if it's 44.1, well, you probably won't hear the difference. i prefer to record at the highest available rate, and then dither and downsample, that way if audio standards ever go back up i'll have a higher quality master copy. that may not matter to you, and if not, i wouldn't lose sleep over it.

having said all that, i would spend my money at the start of the signal chain - you, your instrument, your mics, then your soundcard. you should always buy high-quality cables (i don't believe in monster cable, some do, i use mogami) and if you need a faster computer, well get one (i do, and i am).

the ability to create unimpeded by technological restraints comes first, then the quality of the sound going into the equipment, then the quality of the sound coming out.

- jack the ex-cynic
    Joe Bravo
    RE: opinionated question 2007/06/24 13:54:56 (permalink)
    "your mixer may have a higher noise floor than a mixer of higher quality (say a mackie or soundcraft)."

Some Behringer mixers are more reliable than others, but I've never heard of one with bad noise specs.

"24-bit recording allows you to record without having to be concerned about headroom. if you peak at -12db, or event -20db, it's no biggie. with 16bit that can be a problem."

Wanna bet? I don't care if you're recording at 16, 24, or 2,000,000 bit, you're not getting as much signal down at -12db as you would at -3. Boosting the volume after the fact doesn't give you your lost signal back. It simply boosts what little signal is there. You'll always get a better, thicker, cleaner, and more detailed sound by recording as close as you can before pegging the meters in the digital realm. Try it.
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: opinionated question 2007/06/24 14:17:51 (permalink)
    nodrog,
    If you've got bucks to drop down on more gear, than do it. Somtimes you have to play around with stuff in order to get settled on the "sound" you're looking for. Hell, we've all done it. I've owned more guitars than cars in my lifetime. I say go for it and get it out of your system. I can think of far worse things to spend money on.

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    jacktheexcynic
    RE: opinionated question 2007/06/24 14:36:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Joe Bravo

"your mixer may have a higher noise floor than a mixer of higher quality (say a mackie or soundcraft)."

Some Behringer mixers are more reliable than others, but I've never heard of one with bad noise specs.

that's why i say "may" - i've never tested them personally but i've heard that some mixers are quieter than others.

"24-bit recording allows you to record without having to be concerned about headroom. if you peak at -12db, or event -20db, it's no biggie. with 16bit that can be a problem."

Wanna bet? I don't care if you're recording at 16, 24, or 2,000,000 bit, you're not getting as much signal down at -12db as you would at -3. Boosting the volume after the fact doesn't give you your lost signal back. It simply boosts what little signal is there. You'll always get a better, thicker, cleaner, and more detailed sound by recording as close as you can before pegging the meters in the digital realm. Try it.

i agree you should get the hottest signal that you can, in the analog realm. in the digital realm it does not make any difference, at all. it is pure math. once it hits the soundcard, it does not matter in any way until the noise floor from the analog equipment gets down to the noise floor of the card itself. one bit does not sound better than another bit. with 24 bit, you simply have more bits of headroom to play with. you can still slam the levels as much as you want, and it doesn't cost anything but cheap hard drive space. there is virtually no downside.

- jack the ex-cynic
    jacktheexcynic
    RE: opinionated question 2007/06/24 14:53:52 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: lhansen
    nodrog,
    If you've got bucks to drop down on more gear, than do it. Somtimes you have to play around with stuff in order to get settled on the "sound" you're looking for. Hell, we've all done it. I've owned more guitars than cars in my lifetime. I say go for it and get it out of your system. I can think of far worse things to spend money on.

i'm of the opposite opinion, not to say yours is wrong - i believe in buying gear only when i know what that piece of gear will do for me and i know that i've reached the limits of my current gear. of course if you find a place with a liberal return policy, then go nuts but i would stick to the rule of thumb that if you can't pick out the difference the gear makes then you probably don't need it.

the money i save from not buying gear i may or may not need is directed toward equipment that will unhinder my creativity and increase quality on the front end of the signal chain, like a wicked-fast DAW, or another guitar, or a portable mic booth, or a better quality mic, etc.

- jack the ex-cynic
    Joe Bravo
    RE: opinionated question 2007/06/24 15:23:53 (permalink)
    "i agree you should get the hottest signal that you can, in the analog realm. in the digital realm it does not make any difference, at all. it is pure math. once it hits the soundcard, it does not matter in any way until the noise floor from the analog equipment gets down to the noise floor of the card itself. one bit does not sound better than another bit. with 24 bit, you simply have more bits of headroom to play with. you can still slam the levels as much as you want, and it doesn't cost anything but cheap hard drive space. there is virtually no downside."

Sorry, but you're missing it entirely. I'm not talking about the noise floor. It's so quiet at 16 bit that I couldn't care less about 24 bit when it comes to that. I'm talking about the ammount of recorded information. The softer you record, the less information you're getting down. Whether digital or analog makes no difference. Anybody that's ever recorded at low levels knows this. It only takes once and you'll never do it again!
    Joe Bravo
    RE: opinionated question 2007/06/24 16:10:46 (permalink)
    Maybe I didn't say it right. When you record at a lower volume, you're not capturing as much of the sound, so no matter how many bits you have, if you're not getting as much signal to those converters to begin with, it won't matter. The converters can only use what little you give them. Know what I'm saying?
    droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    RE: opinionated question 2007/06/24 16:42:20 (permalink)
    I'm just a software geek, so maybe I misunderstand this issue... But it seems like it depends on what 'as much' means. You still are capturing the whole signal, even if you peak at -10dB instead of -6dB, it's just that there are somewhat fewer bits between the lowest and highest part of the signal. So it would seem that you are losing potentially some 'dynamic resolution', i.e. the span of dynamic range between spanned by the sample values x and x+1 is larger so you have less granularity wrt to dynamics. But you aren't not recording some of the signal. With 24 bits, there are probably still way more than plenty of bits there to provide as much dynamic resolution as any human could possibly hear if you just get reasonably punchy levels.

Or, then again, I could be completely wrong, and that's not to say that you shouldn't peak at -6dB if you wanna. But you just don't gotta.
    post edited by droddey - 2007/06/24 17:00:16

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    jacktheexcynic
    RE: opinionated question 2007/06/24 16:47:21 (permalink)
    Maybe I didn't say it right. When you record at a lower volume, you're not capturing as much of the sound, so no matter how many bits you have, if you're not getting as much signal to those converters to begin with, it won't matter. The converters can only use what little you give them. Know what I'm saying?

yes, but that has nothing to do with the bit depth. if you can peak out 16 bits of headroom while tracking, you can get even more signal into 24 bits of headroom. so then you would want 24 bit because you are getting more signal in than you could with 16 bit.

the volume is the same, it's the headroom that's different. it looks like lower volume because of the meters, but if you have ever used 24-bit you'll notice the noise floor drops compared to 16 bit. thus, you can (a) crank it louder, and not clip or (b) leave it the same, and the result is the same. the extra headroom bits do not affect the sound in any way. if you end up using them, then you'll get more depth-wise definition, which you'll later chop off at the bottom and dither going back to 16-bit, but if you did crank it to begin with the bits you retain will be "higher" than they would have been if you'd gone 16 bit the whole way.

allow me to be blunt here, but i think you are still thinking about tracking to tape, and if that were the case your argument would be dead-on. but in the digital domain, bits are bits. if you have 15 bits of dynamic range above the noise floor, it makes no difference in the sound if those bits are from 1-16, 0-15, or 9-24. the only thing that matters is how many bits of dynamic signal you can actually pump in above the noise floor. if you can get 17 bits of dynamic range above the noise floor, then you are being limited by 16-bit depth projects. if you need to turn things up so they'll sound better, you can do so to a much greater degree in the 24-bit world than you can in the 16-bit world.

it's like asking, do you want the short glass or the tall glass, and you pick the short glass because you can fill it up to the top. you can put more water in the tall glass, even if it isn't full.
    post edited by jacktheexcynic - 2007/06/24 16:57:31

- jack the ex-cynic
    Thomas Campitelli
    RE: opinionated question 2007/06/24 17:07:33 (permalink)
    Jack is correct that recording at 24-bit gets you a lower noise floor, especially when your target format is a CD. If you record something quietly at 24-bit, you still probably are getting more than 16 bits of information recorded. Whereas recording quietly at 16-bit is not as great of an idea. This assumes, however, that your audio interface can actually really record 24-bits at a go. I've read some threads that claim that audio interfaces often don't capture more than 20-bits and just pad the other four bits with noise. I cannot say for sure.

Joe is also correct in that your ADCs probably have sweet spots and the more signal they see, the better off you are. I imagine the real world differences are quite subtle either way.

Does 24-bit sound better than 16-bit? Maybe. Does 96 KHz sound better than 44.1 KHz? Maybe. I have almost never been able to tell the difference in blind listening tests. You may be able to do so. Try it out and see what you find. The more bits and the higher the sample rate, the more disk space you use.

With regard to balanced and unbalanced outputs, Jack is again correct. Balanced lines should reject more noise. The real problem is that you need balanced TRS cables, which are not as widely available and are expensive. No, your guitar cable is not a balanced line. You also need a completely balanced signal chain, or else you lose the benefits. What's more, a lot of gear will unbalance the signal for internal purposes before balancing it again on the way out. What's the solution? I would say don't lose too much sleep over it.

If you want my opinion, I will offer this advice:

Don't buy, just be.

If your recordings sound really bad right now, it's not your soundcard or your mixer. It's probably you, or another component in your chain (bad guitar, amp, mic). Learn to use what you have and upgrade cautiously. Your money is better spent on guitar and voice lessons instead of gear. Just going out and buying stuff wastes your life (that is, the time that you traded for money so that you can buy the gear), energy, and natural resources. Buying things that you don't need may be the American way, but it's not a wise long-term solution. That's not to say a better soundcard wouldn't offer you some additional capabilities, but it won't make something that already sounds bad any better.

Thomas Campitelli
    jacktheexcynic
    RE: opinionated question 2007/06/24 17:14:23 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Thomas Campitelli
    If your recordings sound really bad right now, it's not your soundcard or your mixer. It's probably you, or another component in your chain (bad guitar, amp, mic). Learn to use what you have and upgrade cautiously. Your money is better spent on guitar and voice lessons instead of gear. Just going out and buying stuff wastes your life (that is, the time that you traded for money so that you can buy the gear), energy, and natural resources. Buying things that you don't need may be the American way, but it's not a wise long-term solution. That's not to say a better soundcard wouldn't offer you some additional capabilities, but it won't make something that already sounds bad any better.

+1. better gear can actually make a bad source sound worse. the more pristine, the more obvious the imperfections are. crappy gear covers some of that stuff up.

- jack the ex-cynic
    Joe Bravo
    RE: opinionated question 2007/06/24 22:38:29 (permalink)
    Well, I just did some sound tests to satisfy my conscience on this, and I have to admit I don't really hear any difference to speak of, if any between 16/44 recorded at -3db, and 32/44 recorded at -20db and then dithered and converted to 16/44 with the volume normalized to match the first recording.
    Thomas Campitelli
    RE: opinionated question 2007/06/25 10:42:24 (permalink)

Well, I just did some sound tests to satisfy my conscience on this, and I have to admit I don't really hear any difference to speak of, if any between 16/44 recorded at -3db, and 32/44 recorded at -20db and then dithered and converted to 16/44 with the volume normalized to match the first recording.

Do you have an interface that can record at 32-bits? If so, I am impressed.

Can you hear a difference between 16/44.1 and 24/96 before dithering anything? I have trouble with that, myself.

Thomas Campitelli
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    RE: opinionated question 2007/06/25 12:04:25 (permalink)
    was wondering if firewire would be better

Firewire in and of itself is only a data streaming bus.
    So... it won't have any direct affect on your audio quality.

Your mic is the single most important piece of gear.
    If it's sub par, you'll struggle to achieve a great sound.
    If you're wanting to do quality acoustic guitar recording, mic choice and a clean/quiet mic pre-amp are two key components.

I'd start with a good mic... and work 'backwards'... replacing items as budget allows.
    The Audiophile is a decent interface. I have a client in FL who does pro work (overdub sessions with songwriters) using one.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Joe Bravo
    RE: opinionated question 2007/06/25 14:49:41 (permalink)

Wise guy. Okay 32-bit mixing/24 bit float.

Can you hear a difference between 16/44.1 and 24/96 before dithering anything? I have trouble with that, myself.

Nope. Never could. But in this case I recorded both at 44/1 anyway. I thought the 24 bit file sounded just a tiny bit compressed at -20, and then only in spots. But I can't say objectively that there was for sure a difference I could hear. Running a frequency analysis showed the two files to be slightly different, but not enough to hear probably.

What I did was to play a song from Windows Media Player and run a line out of my sound card into the tape ins on my mixer which bypasses all the channel stuff and goes straight to the main outs. From the main outs I went back into my sound card. I controlled the volume of the recordings by simply changing the fader settings on the main out. After recorded the 24/44.1 file at -20db, I just amplified the volume until I got it to peak at -3db in the exact same spots as the 16/44.1 recording. There was definately a difference in the frequency graphs but very slight. That might have to do with adding amplification to the -20db file. But on the other hand, if a person wants to record at -20db or something well under -3db, they're going to have to raise the volume eventually anyway. Chances are that no recording app will give you enough volume by simply using envelopes to get the file where you want it to be loudness-wise. So maybe that's something to consider. Dunno.

Funny, I did a similar test just playing electric guitar once before and I could swear I heard much more of a difference that time. But for now I'm content to concede that there isn't enough difference to worry about.
    Thomas Campitelli
    RE: opinionated question 2007/06/25 18:01:29 (permalink)

Wise guy. Okay 32-bit mixing/24 bit float.

Gotcha. I thought you may have gotten a hold of some revolutionary piece of gear.

But on the other hand, if a person wants to record at -20db or something well under -3db, they're going to have to raise the volume eventually anyway. Chances are that no recording app will give you enough volume by simply using envelopes to get the file where you want it to be loudness-wise. So maybe that's something to consider. Dunno.

That is a good point. If you record something very quietly, you still need to make it louder somewhere along the way. Your noise floor should be lower, but ultimately turning up the volume turns up the noise inherent in the gear that you used to record. I have always looked at 24-bit as an alternative to using a compressor. You can potentially record vocals a bit lower and skip the compressor on the way in.

Your test seemed geared toward determining if there is a measurable difference between recording a presumably 16-bit source at 16 and 24 bits at varying volume levels. Pretty interesting results.

Thomas Campitelli
    droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    RE: opinionated question 2007/06/25 18:56:20 (permalink)
    I don't think anyoneis claiming you should track at -20dB. It's just that you don't have have it smacking right up against the redline or anything and use compression during tracking in order to keep it really hot without going over.

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    mlockett
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2099
    RE: opinionated question 2007/06/25 19:00:21 (permalink)

Check out this thread....

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/15038/0/

These guys have some serious credntials.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1