overclocking?

Author
M@ B
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
2010/12/01 01:57:39 (permalink)

overclocking?

i am largely unfamiliar w/ over clocking. at a very basic level, my understanding is that it enables the processor to perform faster. what advantages if any, are there for running sonar that would warrant overclocking the cpu? are there any cons?

the cpu in this computer is an intel dual core e6300 and is supposed to be very "overclockable" (motherboard: ipibl - lb (benecia).

just thought i'd ask you guys for your thoughts and/or advice on the topic because if i could get a little more noticeable performance while running sonar and with no down side, i would look into doing it.

thanks for any info or comments.
post edited by M@ B - 2010/12/01 02:33:57

21 Replies Related Threads

tfkeel
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 92
    Re:overclocking? 2010/12/01 05:35:25 (permalink)
    A faster clock is a good thing no matter what program you wish to use.  The main advantages for audio users is in  lower CPU loading.  It should be understood, however, that "overclocking" is typically on the order of 25% and less.  It is not like your CPU clock got doubled.  It also doesn't change the speed with which the CPU accesses your disks, your video, or your sound card.  Only the basic, low-level operations it does are faster as a result of "overclocking". 

On a practical level, it might allow you one or two more real-time effects in a mix which demands a lot from the CPU already, etc.
    This is where you'll notice the increase, in operations like effects where the peripheral accesses remain unchanged from that of a "dry" track,  but the basic, low-level processing load is more demanding than a "dry" or "frozen" track.

If your typical CPU usage when you mix down is 30%, you are going to notice absolutely no differences in how it operates.  If you are currently "crowding" the top end of your performance range, like running at 85% CPU and constantly freezing your tracks to lower your loading, it may prove helpful and give you a noticeable advantage. 

If this is a modification that you intend to do to an existing computer, be sure you test operation of your computer in all scenarios you plan to use it.   There's no guarantee.  The manufacturer of that CPU has not tested it at the new clock speed.  Even if the CPU
    itself tolerates the higher clock, there can be some more subtle interactions with peripherals which might fail.

Overclocking is something I would want to purchase from a DAW assembler who has the ability to prove-in correct operation.
    In fact, I did.

There is a small downside that it makes the chip and the surrounding components run hotter.  This is usually not a practical problem
    to most users.

post edited by tfkeel - 2010/12/01 05:54:59

Sonar 8.5 Producer Version 8.5.3.282 - Windows XP Home Edition w/all upgrades through SP3 - Windows Vista business SP2 - PreSonus FireBox interface - M-Audio UNO - Behringer UCA202 U-control - ADK ProAudio quad-core 3.2 Ghz overclocked, 8 Gb ram - been with Cakewalk since 3.0 in 1990 ( it was MIDI only...under MS/DOS - computer was 4 MHz :) )

http://www.keelsmusic.com
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re:overclocking? 2010/12/01 06:46:50 (permalink)
    Some motherboards will not allow overclocking.  e.g. I have an Intel DP35DP motherboard and there are no options to overclock.  Most Dell PC's do not have the option.  I'm currently working on a Gateway desktop for a client and it uses an Intel motherboard and no provisions in it either.

With the speed of modern CPU's, overclocking is not really a big deal like it was back when a CPU only ran at less than a GHz speed and people were trying to squeeze all the processor speed they could out of them. 

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    jcschild
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3409
    Re:overclocking? 2010/12/01 09:35:04 (permalink)
    over clocking 101

1) all silicon from intel comes from the same die line. (EG all 32nm are the same all 45 nm are the same)
    Xeon, desktop etc...regardless of GHz speed.

2) intel strives to make every batch of silicon 125%+ of the highest processro GHz  sold
    (3.33GHz ) then silicon is made to do 4.1GHz. 90% of the time or better the silicon comes out as such.
    sometimes they may have a weak batch.. each batch is tested.

with that said overclocking is nothing more than attempting to get the cpu to run at its full potential.

and done right its a wonderful thing. done wrong its a nightmare.
    with present chipsets X58/P55 overclocking has become a lot more difficult than it ever used to be.
    prior to these chipsets you simply raised the Front side bus (which yes still exists just has a different name)
    (bclk now)
    and added a tad a of voltage and made sure your ram setting were in spec.
    now there is about 40+ things you have to watch in the bios.

on the other hand the intel silicon is more apt to OC then ever before.
    due to this intel has started some tricks to stop easy ocing..

is it safe? yes if done right your temps should barely rise if at all.
    will it kill the processor lilfe? NO
     yrs ago (7-12) it could cause degradation that caused layer bleed thru over time.  (electrons jumping layers...)

is it stable? 100% if done correctly.

will it void my warranty NO unless you tell intel you OCed. however
    certain CPU are sold as OCing processors.  Extreme processors and anything ending in "k"
    these are allowed to be OCed.

if you should do it or not is up to you. depending on what processor you have it could be a simple thing..
    just remember if not done right its painful..

Scott
    ADK
    Home of the Kentucky Fried DAW!
    tfkeel
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 92
    Re:overclocking? 2010/12/01 10:03:32 (permalink)

Kentucky Fried DAW!

I LOVE mine.  Works GREAT!  No real problems, and your support is the best.
    You made it too good.  I don't want an upgrade (yet).   But when I do, I'll be calling you.

And, your overclock job was obviously done quite right.  It is 100% stable, the only reboots I do are for brown-outs. Sonar runs impeccably on this unless I do something stupid.  I've learned where some of the stupid buttons are.

post edited by tfkeel - 2010/12/01 10:11:16

Sonar 8.5 Producer Version 8.5.3.282 - Windows XP Home Edition w/all upgrades through SP3 - Windows Vista business SP2 - PreSonus FireBox interface - M-Audio UNO - Behringer UCA202 U-control - ADK ProAudio quad-core 3.2 Ghz overclocked, 8 Gb ram - been with Cakewalk since 3.0 in 1990 ( it was MIDI only...under MS/DOS - computer was 4 MHz :) )

http://www.keelsmusic.com
    jcschild
    Re:overclocking? 2010/12/01 11:31:52 (permalink)
    thanks man!

love this """I've learned where some of the stupid buttons are.""" i LMAO....

Scott
    ADK
    M@ B
    Re:overclocking? 2010/12/01 12:16:13 (permalink)
    thanks to all for the info/suggestions. "good lookin' out" as they say.

from what i've read here, it's beneficial if done correctly. which of course begs a second question... how does one correctly overclock a cpu? is it a relatively simple process or does it require advanced technical skills and/or tools like an oscilloscope?

i am normally from the school of "if it's not broken, don't break it!," but i'm pretty good w/ my hands and would still CONSIDER this mod if it seems do-able. if not, i won't, or i would seek out someone with experience.

thanks again.
    matt
    jcschild
    Re:overclocking? 2010/12/01 13:43:28 (permalink)
    whats your processor?

Scott
    ADK
    M@ B
    Re:overclocking? 2010/12/01 13:50:34 (permalink)
    jcschild

whats your processor?

the cpu in this computer is an intel dual core e6300 and is supposed to be very "overclockable" (motherboard: hewlett packard/asus, ipibl - lb (benecia).

jcschild
    Re:overclocking? 2010/12/01 17:46:21 (permalink)
    well thats easier than an i7/i5 for sure..
    google how to overclock e6300....

i would be surprised of the bios in the HP actually allowed for it.

Scott
    ADK
    M@ B
    Re:overclocking? 2010/12/01 17:54:38 (permalink)
    after a little bit of research, i learned that this process is accomplished by accessing the bios and changing settings via keyboard control as opposed to going inside the tower and making adjustments to the actual hardware itself as i initially assumed. after watching a 10 minute video, it seems to be just as was mentioned in this thread... o/c'ing can be advantageous if done properly and detrimental if not (just like many other things in life i suppose). i'll still consider the mod, but would like to learn some more before i go any further.

thanks
    post edited by M@ B - 2010/12/02 00:05:40
    M@ B
    Re:overclocking? 2010/12/01 23:30:18 (permalink)
    jcschild

i would be surprised of the bios in the HP actually allowed for it.

you may be right. i'm having trouble tracking down any info on an hp o/c.

M@ B
    Re:overclocking? 2010/12/02 00:21:07 (permalink)
    a free downloadable software called clockgen makes the settings for overclocking accessible on a name brand pc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yXW4pqLE70

does anybody have experience with this or similar?

thanks again.
    Norrie
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1665
    Re:overclocking? 2010/12/02 03:17:10 (permalink)

Hey guys

U will need to get a good cooler aswell incase to keep your chip nice and cool depending on what fan you already have above it etc.

IMO If you are not sure what to do take it to a shop who can do the set up in the Bios and also advise on extra cooling such as a noctura fan etc that way you dont have the wory and they can max out the cpu with out you haveing to wory about anything.

At least that way you have a fall back if your computer is not 100% stable the guys should be able to figure out whats best for you :)

My board I am lucky with it Comes with a utility and with the click of a button I can over clock if I want but with the power I have from it I feel no need. I done it just to see and its crazy fast.

Have you thought about maybe buying another Cpu to fit your motherboard instead of going down the road of overclocking ?

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    M@ B
    Re:overclocking? 2010/12/02 13:02:59 (permalink)
    Norrie

Hey guys

Have you thought about maybe buying another Cpu to fit your motherboard instead of going down the road of overclocking ?

thanks for suggestions. taking it to a shop is the safe bet, but money is tight and for that same reason i'm not in the market for another cpu. i was looking into o/c'ing because it might be a free improvement, but as i mentioned earlier, "if it's not broken don't break it!" and right now i am running sonar and average sized projects (for me) without any real problems, so i guess it's "not broken."

i have other necessary gear purchases, so computer hardware upgrades with have to wait their turn.

it's looking like i'm gonna leave well enough alone, but o/c'ing is as alluring concept.

thanks again.

Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    Re:overclocking? 2010/12/02 16:38:23 (permalink)
    Simply put, If you are unfamiliar with overclocking a CPU, best not to mess with it until you familiarize yourself with the procedure and all of it's ramifications!

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

M@ B
    Re:overclocking? 2010/12/02 17:06:32 (permalink)
    Tap

Simply put, If you are unfamiliar with overclocking a CPU, best not to mess with it until you familiarize yourself with the procedure and all of it's ramifications!

this more or less echoes what i said from the start.

i am wondering though, is a new fan necessary for a small to moderate overclock increase?
    a lot of what i have read says that the temperature increases are not always very significant.
    Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    Re:overclocking? 2010/12/02 17:53:36 (permalink)
    One of the main reasons a device is spec'd at a particular operating frequency is the fact that the device is guaranteed to operate properly at the frequency. When one decides to try to push the limits, such as the operating frequency usually the amount of power the device operates at increases, and thus the amount of heat dissipated. So as a first line of defense to keep the device from self destructing, the additional heat must be dissipated. For incremental changes in operating frequency, the provided fan and heat sinking may very well be sufficient to handle the added strain, but there are no guarantees.  Unfortuantely, it's hard to know how much additional stress the stock fan and heat sink can handle.

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

M@ B
    Re:overclocking? 2010/12/02 21:09:25 (permalink)
    Tap

For incremental changes in operating frequency, the provided fan and heat sinking may very well be sufficient to handle the added strain, but there are no guarantees.  Unfortuantely, it's hard to know how much additional stress the stock fan and heat sink can handle.

my interest was to just give it a little boost not to crank it up, but it's hard to find any info on this actual model computer or similar being ovrclkd to get a reference point of how much "headroom" if any is available. i would figure that there is some, but i won't act on an assumption.

until then, i won't do anything... except maybe some more reading.

thanks to all.

still open to more info/suggestions. especially from someone who o/c'd an hp or other "consumer" computer.

Rbh
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2349
    Re:overclocking? 2010/12/02 21:41:28 (permalink)
    The goofy thing is... you'll never get familiar with overclocking a CPU....until you actually overclock you're CPU.  I did it for my first attempt on my last build... been running solid with no issues for over 3 years. Go for it.....but document your present stable Bios settings. If you get into deep crappola.... ( which isn't impossible ) at least you have a tried and true starting point. I ended up with just a front side buss bump  and no changes in voltages and it's been cool and steady all along.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
    CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
     Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
    M@ B
    Re:overclocking? 2010/12/02 22:29:53 (permalink)
    i cant changed the clock settings in the bios, that stuff does not seem to be accessible on a consumer computer. but like i mentioned a few posts back (with a link to a video), free software exists that lets you access that stuff, but i haven't found out if it's a legitimate process. it seems to be in the vid.
    alfiealvins
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:overclocking? 2010/12/10 13:06:27 (permalink)
    Overclocking is the process running a computer component to a higher clock speed (more clock cycles per second) than it was designed or has been specified by the manufacturer, usually practiced by enthusiasts who want a increase the performance of their computers. Portions buy low-end computer which they then overclock to higher clock frequencies, or overclock high-end components for performance beyond the specified values. Others overclock outdated components to keep pace with new system requirements, rather than buying new hardware.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1