overtones

Author
Bob Abrams
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 72
2006/02/20 18:13:42 (permalink)

overtones

My new upright bass has very subtle overtones traceable to a minor 19th above the root. This probably is not loud enough to EQ out, and it might in fact add to the richness of the tone. I wonder if any of the studio guys out there can tell me the cause of this phenomenon and whether or not this is a subject of concern during recording/mastering? Thanks.

2 Replies Related Threads

yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: overtones 2006/02/20 19:11:21 (permalink)
    All instruments have an infinite number of overtones. The relationship of the overtones to the fundamental frequency is what makes your upright bass sound different from an oboe or a tuba or pipe organ or a human voice. It is also what makes your bass sound different from anybody else's.

Recording upright bass is basically a matter of using mic placement to select which of the overtones you want to keep and which you don't. An upright bass has a large "nearfield" space. Within this nearfield, which can exist up to maybe 6 feet around the instrument, moving the mic a few inches one way or the other can have a noticable and dramatic effect on the recorded sound, mostly because you are picking up some overtones more than others, since different parts of the instrument resonate with some overtones more strongly than others.

Outside the nearfield, the overtones blend and balance out and the sound becomes pretty consistent regardless of where the listener's head is, other than the fact that, further away, you will capture more reverberation and "room sound." This is presuming that you have an acoustically neutral room to record in (if you're not sure, you probably don't).

Where to put the mic is a matter entirely of personal preference, and is worth doing some experimenting. Because the upright bass has such a large nearfield, there are a lot of different sounds available, and some are likely to be much better than others.

But overtones are neither bad nor good, in and of themselves. they are simply the "tone" of the instrument.

Cheers.
    Kicker
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 477
    RE: overtones 2006/02/21 00:49:14 (permalink)
    Yep,
    I think what Bob was referring to was that he measured the harmonic at 19 half-steps above the fundamental, which doesn't quite add up to a natural harmonic.

Bob,

Are you using even temperment tuning? How were you able to measure the frequency of the harmonic?

Edit: Ahah! A quick thing to check is the quality of the strings. Uneven or damaged strings can sometimes produce weird frequencies because the winding is producing its own harmonic.
    post edited by Kicker - 2006/02/21 00:56:46
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1