Author
Fog
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12302
2009/02/23 21:20:14 (permalink)

pancake day..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/news_and_events/events_pancakeday.shtml

don't forget to buy ya lemon

and Wednesday down to the chippy for me for fish n chips.. jeez I ain't that that in 3-4 months..

19 Replies Related Threads

Garry Stubbs
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2619
    RE: pancake day.. 2009/02/24 19:35:34 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Fog

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/news_and_events/events_pancakeday.shtml

don't forget to buy ya lemon

and Wednesday down to the chippy for me for fish n chips.. jeez I ain't that that in 3-4 months..

I live near to Olney in North Bucks, home to the historic pancake race every Shrove tuesday (ie today) each year down the High Street. It is supposed to be contested by local housewives, a few years back some very sad female athletes entered to steal the glory of the local gals, some people have no shame.

The Olney Pancake race is reputed to have started back in 1445, that's 564 years!!! Now thats what you call a tradition
    post edited by The Kiosk Project - 2009/02/24 19:46:33

https://soundcloud.com/garry-kiosk
    Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
    Fog
    RE: pancake day.. 2009/02/24 20:21:04 (permalink)
    women with frying pans + annoyed = bad move..haha

it makes them look pretty ish if they need to race a bunch of house wives

post edited by Fog - 2009/02/24 20:27:07
    SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    RE: pancake day.. 2009/02/24 21:32:27 (permalink)

Bah .... humbug ......

I did my bit though..

Pancakes that is..

Findus crispy pancakes - minced beef filling x 2 with home made crinkle cut chips.

Tried tossing them - not a good idea at all ..

Humbug .........

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Fog
    RE: pancake day.. 2009/02/25 10:44:57 (permalink)
    Steve.. thats not pancakes

you didn't even put any lemon on them
    tdye
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1926
    RE: pancake day.. 2009/02/25 13:55:29 (permalink)
    I listened to the mayor of Olney on the radio this week giving a speech at the opening ceremony for Pancake Days in Liberal, Kansas, USA. Liberal is just up the road about 40 miles NE of where I live. I thing the local committee had flown him in special for the event's 60th anniversary. His speech was very captivating and you could hear lots of positive crowd reaction in the background. Funny to now read about the event in Olney from you UK guys.
    post edited by tdye - 2009/02/25 15:02:01

Tom
    http://www.soundclick.com/tomdye
    http://www.ourstage.com/profile/tomdye
    http://twitter.com/tom_dye

Dell Dimension 8400 Pentium 4 w/HyperThreading 3.2GHz, 3 GB Ram, Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM)
    Sonar 8 Producer Edition, Rapture, Project5
    pistolpete
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1584
    RE: pancake day.. 2009/02/25 14:15:22 (permalink)
    Pancakes without maple syrup aren't pancakes, they're crepes.
    SteveStrummerUK
    RE: pancake day.. 2009/02/25 16:04:27 (permalink)

Steve.. thats not pancakes

you didn't even put any lemon on them

He he - I put it right tonight though, me and my two kids had real pancakes for tea (with lemon & sugar; maple or golden syrup).

A day late but so what

And I see me old mucker PistolPete is still talking a load of crêpe

Fog
    RE: pancake day.. 2009/02/25 16:15:28 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: pistolpete

In London.. pancake = 20p? I guess.. crepe = £6.50 in a restaurant..
    not exactly the same thing.. but close enough.

is now the time to tell Steve I didn't even have pancakes?
    although I had fish today with it being Ash Wednesday

post edited by Fog - 2009/02/25 16:22:14
    Garry Stubbs
    RE: pancake day.. 2009/02/25 16:26:52 (permalink)
    We had a recorded rehearsal last night, got a super paying wedding gig on Saturday in Buckinghamshire, thought we'd better brush up on a few arrangements, got back about midnight, having read some of this thread earlier I decided to make myself a couple of pancakes (yes Fog I got the lemon juice and golden syrup. Anyway, bad news as it was a bit late and it kicked off my IBS again, still rumbling as I write this nearly 24 hours later.....
    post edited by The Kiosk Project - 2009/02/25 16:33:28

Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
    Fog
    RE: pancake day.. 2009/02/25 17:45:35 (permalink)
    Garry , you ever drink peppermint tea, try that and avoid caffeine for a few days. I used to get that, but I know the triggers in my case.. a LOT of stress or very spicy foods bring it on.. So no Vindaloo and 15 pints with Steve..hehe

Tom, but pan cakes are different there. I mean the ones you see on tv .. the ones here you couldn't really eat every day due to the fats from cooking them etc.
    post edited by Fog - 2009/02/26 08:54:51
    SteveStrummerUK
    RE: pancake day.. 2009/02/25 17:49:45 (permalink)

Colin , you ever drink peppermint tea, try that and avoid caffeine for a few days. I used to get that, but I know the triggers in my case.. a LOT of stress or very spicy foods bring it on.. So no Vindaloo and 15 pints with Steve..hehe

Or 15 Vindaloos and a pint

Seriously though, I suffer myself - it seems to be a middle-aged thing.

Take a good walk every now and again, that can help in addition to diet.

Sonic the Hedgehog
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 733
    RE: pancake day.. 2009/02/25 23:09:38 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: pistolpete

Heh heh. That's what we have here. Crêpes. Don't EVER forget the little accent on the ''e''.

''I work to live, but live to make music'' -Mahler
    Garry Stubbs
    RE: pancake day.. 2009/02/26 08:19:44 (permalink)

Colin , you ever drink peppermint tea, try that and avoid caffeine for a few days. I used to get that, but I know the triggers in my case.. a LOT of stress or very spicy foods bring it on.. So no Vindaloo and 15 pints with Steve..hehe

Fog, was the peppermint tea tip actually for Colin, or me with my IBS? I drink Twinings Green Tea blend, but a guess that has caffeine in too, I don't know......What I do know is that fry ups and yes high stress sets me off, I didn't have it until 3 years ago, it's a real ****. Was also thinking perhaps colonic irrigation might do something, cant quite work my way up to that one yet though - UGH

Garry Kiosk

Garry Stubbs
    RE: pancake day.. 2009/02/26 08:30:11 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: SteveStrummerUK

Seriously though, I suffer myself - it seems to be a middle-aged thing.

Take a good walk every now and again, that can help in addition to diet.

So that's you, me and Fog with IBS!!! I honestly didn't realize it is so prevalent. We ought to start our own IBS support thread !!!

Already got some good tips to try as I refuse to take drugs to alleviate if possible. (I think I mentioned this on a stage fright thread in the Techniques forum last week) So, no caffeine, more walking (why does this help Strummy?)

I didn't want to hear about giving up the beer and vindaloos however...

Got some suggested colabs for us IBS'ers

How about

The wind beneath my wings
    Run Like Hell
    We can work it out
    Under Pressure
    Rumble in Brighton

and such and such....

Garry Kiosk

EDIT - There can of course be only one name for our new Sonar "Supergroup" - The Irritable Bowels
    post edited by The Kiosk Project - 2009/02/26 08:32:20

Fog
    RE: pancake day.. 2009/02/26 09:05:16 (permalink)
    Garry it was just a general tip.. errm as for fry ups.. well grill what you can.. obviously not an egg . also when you buy things like sausages , look at the meat content.. the low % meat ones aren't so good. I only have ones with 70%+ meat.. I think the ones I have are 73%

When I went into hospital for it though, I wasn't that old.. erm 25 I guess, so it's not really "middle aged" people that get it. worse bit was one of the nurses , the main one doing scans, was a hottie

they gave me a diet of things that were ok to eat, eeermm lamb , skinless chicken , boiled potatoes before the op.. well the week before.
    things like pork , prawns, anything fried were good to avoid and I do if I get an episode of it.

I think the action of walking + gravity help, maybe thats what Steve is getting at

caffeine itself, well in tea its double the amount in tea, than coffee.
    Garry Stubbs
    RE: pancake day.. 2009/02/26 12:04:21 (permalink)
    Crikey Fog, in hospital, was that for tests which subsequently was diagnosed as IBS? Or due to complications of having it? (By the way I guess this is a bit personal Fog so feel free to just sent one of your jovial replies)

I have just got back from the shops looking for peppermint tea, but they didn't have any in the local Budgens, I'll have to make the big trek to Tesco tomorrow.......

Fog
    RE: pancake day.. 2009/02/26 12:52:26 (permalink)
    don't read this if your easily offended.

Garry, well .. I went in to see what was up, because I was getting really bad stomach pains. When I say hospital, I went in to get it checked and it was mainly day release stuff. I went in 2 times, had to get x-rays of my guts and they even gave me barium to drink to make it easy to x ray(not good) . Although it did remind me of the old why do you never see any white dog *cough* on the road..lol (that's when I saw the pretty nurse and it was kinda embarrising , I did feel to say heck you've seen me in the noddy now your turn, but I'm guessing a slap would have been the reply.lol )

Have you seen phoenix nights when Jerry had to go in for it.. was pretty much the same, except they put you under. Although when they were trying to put me under I did fight the anaesthetist, I was told later. Hardly surprising if you watched what they did to Gerry.. they said "oh this won't hurt" and I could see the monitor what they were impaling me with and where it was going..lol

lets just say, I know for certain I'll never bat for the other side. Anyway, after that had to go back to see the consultant and they'd removed 5 polyps and they did a bioopsy on them and they weren't cancerous.

the worst part of it though and probably the worst pain I ever felt yet in life (and this is coming from someone who is clumbsy / accident prone) was the last day, the week running up to the day I had to go in.. The diet they give you is ultra bland and you couldn't eat for the last day.. BUT they gave you stuff to flush you out for the last day, and well because you'd been fasting, nothing to sort, now that was a painful day.

I mean I needed to get it sorted, so that was that. I'm not one for the doctors / hospital unless I really have to go. I am supposed to go see my doctor at some point for a check up.. but I'm guessing they are looking for the commission if I stop smoking.. my knee gives me jip, but I didn't bother getting it looked at yet.

Jeez at this rate I could give Dot Cotton a run for her money.lol
    post edited by Fog - 2009/02/26 12:54:30
    Garry Stubbs
    RE: pancake day.. 2009/02/26 19:06:24 (permalink)
    Wow Fog, glad you made a recovery, sounds nasty. But IBS doesn't equate to polyps, or does it? are the two connected? I think I need a medical forum - or a visit to the quack......

Fog
    RE: pancake day.. 2009/02/26 20:02:06 (permalink)
    It was years ago now.. it wasn't nasty.. it was the short term pain, and the months before were worse. That was down to my vanishing boss @ work, and a few of us were taking up the slack he'd left. nah it was just because I had such a bad session of it the preceding months my doctor sent me to get checked up. Obviously a GP couldn't do that.. so went to see a consultant. It doesn't equate to it nope.. but I think they don't make life any easier. I knew someone who worked in the same hospital who the consultant I saw was one of the leading ones in the country.. BUT he was more interested in talking politics and getting home one of the days when I was his last appointment

I don't think the 2 are connected, but they check all possibilities. Heck I'm not a doctor.. more at home fixing pc's etc. hehe
    post edited by Fog - 2009/02/26 20:10:10
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1