pentagon 1.4 Cubase 4 100% cpu spikes on preset change

Author
ttoz
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 417
2007/03/23 13:44:46 (permalink)

pentagon 1.4 Cubase 4 100% cpu spikes on preset change

completely reproducible every time...

just use the inbuilt penataon arrows to flick through presets and every single one you flick through will make like a "groaning noise" and the cpu will flash momentarily to 100% till the preset is loaded, where it will settle down and behave as normal

using pentagon in sx3 on same machine does not produce such problems.

19 Replies Related Threads

René
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: pentagon 1.4 Cubase 4 100% cpu spikes on preset change 2007/03/24 12:56:53 (permalink)
    If you see this with patches in factory banks A to E, you need to revise your Cubase settings. They shouldn't spike.
    Many patches in bank F need to load wavetables from disk. Depending on your latency settings and disk speed, this will generate a spike and it is normal.
    ttoz
    RE: pentagon 1.4 Cubase 4 100% cpu spikes on preset change 2007/03/25 00:17:08 (permalink)
    yes I am talking about factory patches..I don't know what you mean by "revise cubase settings", like I said on the same machine with SX 3.1.1 it does not happen, EVER.

My hard diska are all serial ata 10,000 rpm WD Raptors, and I am running at a very normal latency of 256 samples and cubase can load the cpu's very heavily before i hear any pops or clicks.

It is just with pentagon and flicking presets, and it's the cpu meter that spikes, not the disk one, there is a pause in the whole system and an abrupt farting type sound with every preset change.

Again, does not happen with Cubase 3
    René
    RE: pentagon 1.4 Cubase 4 100% cpu spikes on preset change 2007/03/25 07:53:08 (permalink)
    yes I am talking about factory patches..I don't know what you mean by "revise cubase settings", like I said on the same machine with SX 3.1.1 it does not happen, EVER.

*what* factory patches? Those using external wavetables (Bank F mostly) or it also happens in Banks A~E? As I said, if it's in patches with external wavetables, that is expectable.

It does happen in any Cubase version, and any other host. Previous Cubase versions did not take GUI thread into account for CPU measuring, Cubase 4 does. The only difference is that you SEE the spike now, not that it actually happens.
    ttoz
    RE: pentagon 1.4 Cubase 4 100% cpu spikes on preset change 2007/03/25 09:27:13 (permalink)
    I appreciate the explanation but there's something I don't understand (anyway it hasn't crashed which ultimately would be the biggest problem, so that's good)

why do i get the audio "burping" during this cpu "spike", whereas in Cubase 3 the audio continue uninterrupted? Remember this is a relatively empty project with total about 15% cpu load.

So even though I see the spike I am experiencing it with audio as well and it would make it very hard to change pentagon presets on a heavily loaded project.

It happens with EVERY preset, not just bank F.

HOWEVER, i haven't yet installed 4.02 on this machine because of the offline preview bug it adds(i am on cubase 4.01) but I will do so and test again!
    René
    RE: pentagon 1.4 Cubase 4 100% cpu spikes on preset change 2007/03/25 09:30:53 (permalink)
    why do i get the audio "burping" during this cpu "spike", whereas in Cubase 3 the audio continue uninterrupted? Remember this is a relatively empty project with total about 15% cpu load.

That's a good question for Cubase.net. I honestly have no idea, but I can guarantee that Pentagon I does the same thing in both. I attribute it to differences in the audio engine between Cubase 3 and 4.

I have double checked here, and I confirm that it doesn't happen in any patch except for bank F in my machine. Also, bank F patches just do a mild spike (I can see 10% in the indicator). I'm on Cubase 4.02.

ttoz
    RE: pentagon 1.4 Cubase 4 100% cpu spikes on preset change 2007/03/25 12:31:40 (permalink)
    Ok, this is just not working properly in Cubase 4.02 at all for me.

After a few preset changes, i get the "a serious error has occured" message from cubase.

the cpu spikes happen on EVERY single patch change.

the pentagon 1 preset name display in top right hand corner is blank!

I have had problems in Cubase 4 but not that many related to vst plugins...you tell me to ask cubase.net why i get the stttering and burping, but it is only happening with pentagon so fa, with regards to vsti's.
    my spikes are 100% every time, not close to 100%, but a completely full cpu meter.
    ttoz
    RE: pentagon 1.4 Cubase 4 100% cpu spikes on preset change 2007/03/25 12:42:14 (permalink)
    OK! I have found a way to reproduce this every time, it is the same on my laptop with inbuilt asio4all, single core processor, totally different system (also winzp sp2 though) and same on the desktop i mentioned,

So really it should be the same for you! I think I have just discovered a buggette in P1.

I haven't tried it with other presets but basically, the problem is with the default BankF bigtone preset loaded, the 5th thing (beautiful sound)

if i hit PLAY on my midi keyboard when that is first loaded without flicking to another sound, all the problems occur.

If i switch through a sound or two first, then go BACK to that, problem is solved and no more spiking and crash!

so a workaround, but yeah, i'd appreciate if you could reproduce it!

cheers!
    René
    RE: pentagon 1.4 Cubase 4 100% cpu spikes on preset change 2007/03/25 12:57:40 (permalink)
    I have had problems in Cubase 4 but not that many related to vst plugins...you tell me to ask cubase.net why i get the stttering and burping, but it is only happening with pentagon so fa, with regards to vsti's.

I don't tell you to ask cubase.net about the problem. I suggested you to ask why it happens in Cubase 3 and not Cubase 4.

so a workaround, but yeah, i'd appreciate if you could reproduce it!

As I described in my previous post, I can't. It would help to think if it's what I estimate if you could check it with patches which are not in bank F. That would provide some enormously valuable information.
    ttoz
    RE: pentagon 1.4 Cubase 4 100% cpu spikes on preset change 2007/03/25 13:31:50 (permalink)
    You mean why it happens in Cubase 4 and not Cubase 3!

Anyway, like I said, i can't reproduce the problem at ALL if I don't do the steps above:

""I haven't tried it with other presets but basically, the problem is with the default BankF bigtone preset loaded, the 5th down sweep (beautiful sound)

if i hit PLAY on my midi keyboard when that is first loaded without flicking to another sound, all the problems occur.

If i switch through a sound or two first, then go BACK to that, problem is solved and no more spiking and crash!""

I just installed Cubase 4 fresh on my sister's computer as well just to try this and pentagon and lo and behold, exactly the same behaviour

let me be more specific. Pentagon1 1.4 loads with bankF preset 1 in memory, which is bigtone 5th sweep. If i change sounds before sound passes through it, it's ok..BUT... If i play that sound first before i do anything else, then whenever i switch presets afterwards, I get the problems mentioned..

At first when i posted a few days ago i did not realise this was the way to reproduce it every time, I only found that out tonight with some tests...

Look, it's not unbearable in the sense I have a workaround, I just need to remember to never play P1 as soon as it loads, and to flick to a different preset first.

Now I have to do some testing to make sure a project saves and reloads with P1 ok.

René
    RE: pentagon 1.4 Cubase 4 100% cpu spikes on preset change 2007/03/25 14:08:26 (permalink)
    One more time: If the spikes happen on Bank F patches only, then that's normal. I don't know why Cubase 3 and Cubase 4 behave differently with the same Pentagon I build.
    ttoz
    RE: pentagon 1.4 Cubase 4 100% cpu spikes on preset change 2007/03/26 07:08:14 (permalink)
    Rene it's like your not even reading what i am writing. Do we have a communication problem here? I already told you it happens on every single patch, not just bank F and it crashes the whole computer after a few patch changes. Are you trying to tell me that's normal? You built Pentagon to crash the host?

I am frustrated because I don't know how else to explain it to you, I have given you very detailed instructions.

And again i am stressing I am NOT talking about small fluctuations but a complete LOCK UP momentarily of the gui and cpu meter on every patch change.

I also told you how I can avoid it happening.

I also told you I can't reproduce the problem if I take certain steps, yet you tell me it's normal behaviour. Then it should happen ALL THE TIME!

What you have replied to me does NOT MAKE SENSE or you did NOT READ MY POSTS PROPERLY.

beethoven17
    • Total Posts : 422
    RE: pentagon 1.4 Cubase 4 100% cpu spikes on preset change 2007/03/26 08:58:58 (permalink)
    Well, I'm sure the very best way to sort out a problem is to have a total rant at someone who is patiently trying to help.

andrew
    Sonar 8.5 PE,  Saffire LE, Garritan Steinway & Orchestra, EZDummer, Rapture, Truepiano, no voice, little talent
    ttoz
    RE: pentagon 1.4 Cubase 4 100% cpu spikes on preset change 2007/03/26 09:07:21 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: beethoven17

Well, I'm sure the very best way to sort out a problem is to have a total rant at someone who is patiently trying to help.

mate that's not a rant and I am 100% right. We keep on going around in circles and I have given clear explanations what is actually happening.

Anyway it doesn't really matter, z3ta is working great and I will just shelve Pentagon 1 for now. Not the end of the world.
    René
    RE: pentagon 1.4 Cubase 4 100% cpu spikes on preset change 2007/03/26 09:26:53 (permalink)
    Rene it's like your not even reading what i am writing. Do we have a communication problem here? I already told you it happens on every single patch, not just bank F and it crashes the whole computer after a few patch changes. Are you trying to tell me that's normal? You built Pentagon to crash the host?

I'm sorry about that. I didn't write Pentagon I to crash the host, no. I wrote it in year 2000, and for seven years it has been a tool for thousands of musicians, helping them in their music.

As you might eventually see, it works flawlessly in your own Cubase 3. Then, it doesn't work in your Cubase 4. But it does work flawlessly in my Cubase 4.02, so I'm afraid I can't help you without asking you for more information. Then, I was trying to gather that information from you which would allow me to enhance my diagnostic. I also noticed we do have a communication problem: I never read "yes it happens with other patches in Bank F" until your last post, yet you seem to be confident I should be understanding more from your post. I apologize.

In the light of that, I'll stop bothering you and will step aside. Again, I apologize for not being able to help you. I will only say I did my best, spending part of my Sunday trying.
    I suggest you to contact Cakewalk Technical Support for further help.
    ttoz
    RE: pentagon 1.4 Cubase 4 100% cpu spikes on preset change 2007/03/26 11:14:50 (permalink)
    Rene, you asked me if it happens in patches which are not in bank F. it DOES.

Look, I am sorry I got so flustered but it's just been hard to reproduce and it happens intermittently..

anyway I am sorry I didn't mean to have a go at you.

Anyway, i doubt Cakewalk support would be able to help me in this case more than the actual author of the synth.

Ok I reread my posts and realised I made a mistake and didn't tell you it was happening also in patches from other banks

It's not just bank f, it's the whole instrument, when this happens it becomes highly unstable and eventually crashes cubase. If it doesn't happen, i actually don't even see a 10% spike like you mentioned....it just works great....but once it happens, it's time to reboot because trouble is coming. and like i said, 100% spikes, glitches, system pausing, then crash. Crash usually happens when switching between banks, say going from f to c for example.

Also, the problem is more likely to happen if i use my MIDI keyboard to feed pentagon sound on the default bank F patch, before i go to other banks and patches.

Is that any better? honestly? is there any more info i can give you?
    ttoz
    RE: pentagon 1.4 Cubase 4 100% cpu spikes on preset change 2007/03/30 15:48:19 (permalink)
    well I made a sincere apology, updated as much info as i could, and have not heard a word.
    MurderDethKill
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1904
    RE: pentagon 1.4 Cubase 4 100% cpu spikes on preset change 2007/03/30 17:24:03 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: René
    ...I will only say I did my best, spending part of my Sunday trying.

Not to belabour the obvious, but I think that is your best course of action, from this point on.
    They're (CTS) really a nice helpful group, and I know they're looking forward to assisting you.

Good Luck, Mate.
    post edited by MurderDethKill - 2007/03/30 17:26:34

My site i guess;)
    Monstruousubergeekyhardcorefunkytrancepolkaoptimism Lives!!!
    ttoz
    RE: pentagon 1.4 Cubase 4 100% cpu spikes on preset change 2007/03/31 01:39:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: MurderDethKill

ORIGINAL: René
    ...I will only say I did my best, spending part of my Sunday trying.

Not to belabour the obvious, but I think that is your best course of action, from this point on.
    They're (CTS) really a nice helpful group, and I know they're looking forward to assisting you.

Good Luck, Mate.

Yes, I am sure they can help me where Rene couldn't, especially since he is the coder of the synth and knows it inside out, and especially since he asked me

"It would help to think if it's what I estimate if you could check it with patches which are not in bank F. That would provide some enormously valuable information"

and now I answered that which I hadn't before.

Sorry but I think it's obvious not to contact cakewalk support but to continue discussing it here, I was rude, I am sorry, I am human.
    MurderDethKill
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1904
    RE: pentagon 1.4 Cubase 4 100% cpu spikes on preset change 2007/03/31 02:30:45 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: MurderDethKill

Honestly, I meant no disrespect.
    It was a very sincere bit of advice.
    He spent more time on the issue than either I or you would have.
    For Free.

On his day off...

I'll leave it at that.

And CTS is very good at their job - and I wish you would show them more respect...
    They are more than adequate to the task.
    They've always solved my problems and I have nothing but the utmost respect for them.
    BTW, Greg Hendershott once phoned me personally over a CTS concern - and solved my (long forgotten) problem in the process.
    post edited by MurderDethKill - 2007/03/31 02:46:27

My site i guess;)
    Monstruousubergeekyhardcorefunkytrancepolkaoptimism Lives!!!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1