Helpful Replypro channel question in relation to master bus compression

Author
peter47
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 38
2017/03/08 17:03:32 (permalink)

pro channel question in relation to master bus compression

hej guys, hope this is the right place to post this...am pretty new to the forum...ok i see that pro channel is by default post fader, which if i understand when used on a track or bus will be affected by the fader, as opposed to pre fader?, so just of late i am learning about master bus compression, i put a compressor (waves ssl g) in the fx bin of my master bus so as i understand it the signal(s) hitting that bus get compressed pre fader?..but if i use pro channel instead and use as compressor there it will be post fader meaning the more i turn up the fader the harder i hit the compressor? of course i can just go pre fader on prochannel that option is there...but if i understand correctly pre fader would be more desirable?
any thoughts boys or girls
regards Peter
AT
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: pro channel question in relation to master bus compression 2017/03/08 17:56:22 (permalink)
Generally, you would put the compression (etc.) pre-fader on busses.  That way you are mixing into them, which is the point.  You want the individual tracks hitting and driving the compressor and still have buss vol control for setting levels relative to your other busses.  Same for the master buss - tho it is the combination of buss outs and track outs that then drive the comp.  Or that is how I do it, tho I seldom put a comp on the master buss.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: pro channel question in relation to master bus compression 2017/03/08 20:34:12 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ESharpe 2017/03/17 20:24:41
The Pro-Channel pre or post setting puts it pre or post the channel/bus fx bin, not the fader. The Pro-Channel is always pre-fader.

Sends can be pre or post fader (default to pre), but not the PC.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1