problem with Phonic Midi Hub

Author
gbarrett
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 243
2006/07/01 16:50:18 (permalink)

problem with Phonic Midi Hub

I bought the Phonic Midi Hub for my laptop. It shows up in Control Panel under Hardware as a USB Audio Device, but it doesn't show up at all in Sonar. According to the documentation, the hub is to show up in Sonar under Midi Devices and USB Audio. Sounds strange, but that's what the docs say. It still doesn't show up in Sonar anywhere.

Any ideas?

1 Reply Related Threads

gbarrett
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 243
    RE: problem with Phonic Midi Hub 2006/07/02 14:41:34 (permalink)
    I emailed Phonic about the hub. I told them I didn't understand why it was showing in XP as a USB Audio device since it is not an Audio device.

Here is their reply:
    I'm not sure sure how you could be confused by a device described as a MIDI/USB interface as opposed to an audio/ USB interface (which we also sell called the Digitrack). What "XP" are you referring to? The Phonic Midi Hub is indeed a digital audio interface, a MIDI to USB digital interface.

You will need to set Sonar to look for MIDI input via the computers USB port. Please contact Cakewalk customer support for instructions regarding this if you are having difficulty it setting this up to work. Digitrack & Midi Hub have a universal driver that allows these devices to work with all computers/recording software that is compatible with Windows XP. No additional drivers/ support is required, they are designed to be "plug & play." Sonar however is not.

Thanks for your support of Phonic products,

Phonic America

Here is my response:

Ok, let me explain a few things. I've been a beta tester for several Midi/Digital audio software manufacturers for years. I've been using MIDI in my work as a professional musician since 1989 - the DOS days. Midi is not digital audio. The two are completely different. Now, about the Midi Hub, Sonar has never failed to recognize any other USB Midi device, and I've used many. I purchased the Phonic Midi Hub for my new portable midi system. I was told that it was truly plug & play. I've followed the posted steps on your website and the manual and none of my Sonar versions recognize the device. Windows XP does show it as a digital audio device, not the serial device that it truly is. Semantics aside, I cannot get any midi software to see the midi-hub. My software will see and utilize my Midiman Midisport 2x2, which is seen by Windows XP as a USB Midi device.

If this doesn't make sense to you, please forward this email to a level 2 or tier 2 tech.

Am I missing something here?
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1