ptn file, where are they?

Author
vinny199
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 218
2005/07/17 17:48:04 (permalink)

ptn file, where are they?

Hi,

I understand midi files imported into p5 are converted to a ptn file.

ok.

But I wanted to use a midi file created in one project into another project.

However, I cannot seem to be able to find this file to import it into my new project.

Even using the p5 pattern browser window.

I can only see it in the project where it is, by clicking on "in project" / "in use"

But is there a way to make the files from that project available to other projects. (It works with audio, as groove clips of course but cant figure out how to pick up a "midi" file That I HAVE CREATED (as opposed to the file distributed by cakewalk) and put it into a new song.

Any idea?

Also, a secondary question:

p5 seems to determinate the bit rate / khz of a track when you import your first wav file, or make your first recording depending on your default setting.

But I had a track all is 16 bit, but I wanted to record all new parts in 24 bits.

so I converted all the files in the project to 24 bit, thinking "hey, now this project will be a 24 bit project, and compatible with my new recordings"

That failed miserably, and gave me just crazy noise all over the track and the project was still showing a 16 bit info.

My question being:

once you have started with one resolution, can you switch to another and p5 realizing that?
post edited by vinny199 - 2005/07/17 17:53:21

Cheers,

Vinny
http://www.vinnypiana.co.uk/

X1d expanded
PC i7, win 7 x64, 2.8 ghz; 12 gig ram
Motu ultralite (firewire)

11 Replies Related Threads

MurderDethKill
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1904
    RE: ptn file, where are they? 2005/07/17 18:36:05 (permalink)
    Hi Vinny,
    On your first question, I believe you have to save the midi file as a *.ptn file to the directory of your choice. You can do this by clicking on the drop down arrow next to the pattern name in the Editor, and clicking on Save Pattern as...[Shift+S].
    That should make the Pattern visible in your Pattern Browser.
    As Far as your Second Question goes, I quote the Help File.
    Choose the bit depth you want your current project to use (you can change this at any time, however). If you play back 24 bit audio clips at 16 bits, Project5 dithers the clips to 16 bits. This can be useful if you want to hear what your project sounds like at 16 bits. If you play back 16 bit audio clips at 24 bits, any effects you use can produce a wider range of sounds.

Playing back at 24 bits uses more CPU than 16 bits, but not a lot more.

Bit depth options:
    16--this is CD quality
    24---Justify--if you choose 24 as a bit depth, your sound card may need the numbers to be "justified." Read your sound card's documentation to see what setting it needs, or turn down the volume on your speakers and try the 3 choices.
    Note: the justification setting is not something the user can have a preference for, since it basically means "how the sound card likes its audio formatted." Each sound card can only understand one of those justification settings. Unfortunately there is no easy way for Project5 to know the format the sound card wishes to receive. This is why it is up to the user to try the various options (of course with volume levels set low for safety) and stick with the one that works. It is strongly suggested that the user keep the setting where the correct playback can be heard.

HTH
    -MDK

My site i guess;)
    Monstruousubergeekyhardcorefunkytrancepolkaoptimism Lives!!!
    vinny199
    RE: ptn file, where are they? 2005/07/18 07:44:16 (permalink)
    Thanks.

Hi Vinny,
    On your first question, I believe you have to save the midi file as a *.ptn file to the directory of your choice. You can do this by clicking on the drop down arrow next to the pattern name in the Editor, and clicking on Save Pattern as...[Shift+S].
    That should make the Pattern visible in your Pattern Browser.
    As Far as your Second Question goes, I quote the Help File.

Ok, i understand.
    although i find it strange that this imported midi file is turned into a ptn file that does not exist as a real file in a real folder anywhere unless you do as you suggest, which is fine.

Regarding the bit rate, I understand.

but is there a way to "upgrade" a 16 bit project to 24 bit one?
    that's what i wonder.

Because I have tried but converting all the files in the project folder to 24 bit and reopening the project.
    I was then hoping to carry on with this project as a 24 bit project for further recordings but that did not work.

So, just wondering if there is an answer to that.

Cheers,

Vinny

X1d expanded
    MurderDethKill
    RE: ptn file, where are they? 2005/07/19 21:23:54 (permalink)
    Hi Vinny, Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner,
    ORIGINAL: vinny199

but is there a way to "upgrade" a 16 bit project to 24 bit one?
    that's what i wonder.

Because I have tried but converting all the files in the project folder to 24 bit and reopening the project.
    I was then hoping to carry on with this project as a 24 bit project for further recordings but that did not work.

So, just wondering if there is an answer to that.

In Version 2, All You need to do is go to Audio Options and change Bit rates from 16 to 24 bits, you don't need to do any thing else.
    Project Five ver. 2 will then Process your files as 24-bit. That includes Effects, Freeze, Bounce to Track, and Wave/MP3 export. HTH
    -MDK

Correct me if I'm wrong, Guys and Girls I frequently is...i mean, am.

My site i guess;)
    vinny199
    RE: ptn file, where are they? 2005/07/20 03:05:37 (permalink)
    Humm...

i'm not sure if thats the case.

What you can do in the audio option is set the "default bit rate of future projects"

But there is a line below that says: "your current projet is 16bit 44.1khz etc.." and there is no way of changing that as far as i can tell

Cheers,

Vinny

X1d expanded
    MurderDethKill
    RE: ptn file, where are they? 2005/07/20 19:59:25 (permalink)
    Damn- you're right!
    I laid some audio in a track at 16 bit, then changed bit rate to 24. When I froze the audio and navigated to the Audio folder where P5 "hides" it, it was still 16 bit. Same on Bounce to track. The only time I could covert a file from 16 to 24 was when i exported out to Wave/Mp3. Those files were 24 bit.
    I think I may have read too much into the help file. Maybe all it does is process audio through the effects at 24 bit once you change the bit rate to "give you a wider range of sounds" (to quote the help file). And that, it will only do if your effect(s) support 24 bits (most do). It doesn't actually render at 24 untill you export.
    Sorry about that, My bad.

-MDK

Note to Cake: How about a re-render/Re-dither track or Project file option? or is that asking a lot? I dunno...

My site i guess;)
    vinny199
    RE: ptn file, where are they? 2005/07/21 04:46:57 (permalink)
    Yes, but to me what's worse is that if you open your 16bit files in something like soundforge / audition etc. and convert them physically to 24 bit files, when you re-open your project it is completely messed up as the project still seems to be processing a 16 bit file, and recording at 16 bit.

I really don't mind if p5 cannot convert files from 16bit to 24bit, but what bothers me is more that if you have a 16 bit project and that now you'd like to record the next parts in 24 bit, you cannot "upgrade" the entire project to read in 24bit, even if you change the bit rate of all existing files in another software as mentioned above.

It seems that the only way of doing that is starting a new project, and importing all your newly converted 24bit files, reset eveerything as in the other project and save this new project and dump the old one.

Ultimately, if thats got to be done, then so be it,

I was just wondering if anyone knew of a better / quicker way

post edited by vinny199 - 2005/07/21 04:52:50

Cheers,

Vinny

X1d expanded
    MurderDethKill
    RE: ptn file, where are they? 2005/07/21 17:21:25 (permalink)
    Try Feature Request !!!
    I think Cakewalk would be very intrested in your Request. You could also refer them to this thread as they don't always respond to what's going on here (especially since they seem to be busy with the up-coming Sonar 4 Maintenance Release ). They are way better than most companies, IMHO.
    HTH
    -MDK

My site i guess;)
    thelord
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: ptn file, where are they? 2006/03/23 01:44:39 (permalink)
    If any P5 users are interested (unless Cakewalk disagrees), I converted all the factory-installed P5 patterns (.PTN files) to MIDI groove clips, for use with other software.
    PM me for linkage if you want!
    psi777
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 527
    RE: ptn file, where are they? 2006/04/13 19:20:17 (permalink)
    just to ask a REALLY stupid question, how do I "PM" this guy above?
    post edited by psi777 - 2006/04/13 19:30:27
    wgcabp
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1171
    RE: ptn file, where are they? 2006/04/14 08:50:26 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: psi777
    just to ask a REALLY stupid question, how do I "PM" this guy above?

That's not a "really stupid" question. As far as I know, this .asp-based bulletin board model doesn't have a PM utility. Most of your PHP-based ones do, or are at least configurable.

Now, in the case of this particular poster, I'm told if you just mumble out loud, perhaps on your knees, then those things you seek might just magically appear...

WC
    psi777
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 527
    RE: ptn file, where are they? 2006/04/14 13:30:49 (permalink)

That's not a "really stupid" question. As far as I know, this .asp-based bulletin board model doesn't have a PM utility. Most of your PHP-based ones do, or are at least configurable.

Now, in the case of this particular poster, I'm told if you just mumble out loud, perhaps on your knees, then those things you seek might just magically appear...

that's good to hear...I thought I was just being dumber than usual.

ok, here goes:

"Dear lord, please provide me (psirus777 AT hotmail DOT com) with those converted MIDI files, and save me the work of converting them by myself, knowing that thy work has already been done elsewhere. Amen."

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1