question about Sonar Home Studio

Author
RandyD
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2008/09/07 18:56:26 (permalink)

question about Sonar Home Studio

I am considering purchasing Sonar Home Studio to do basic multi-track recording at home. Presently, I'm using Audacity recording software, but when I try to overdub an instrument or harmony vocal, it's slightly out of sync with the other track. I believe I've seen this refered to as a "latency issue"? My question is this: Does Sonar Home Studio have this issue, or will my overdubs be in sync?
My computer is a newer Compaq Presario PC running Windows Vista, and my USB audio interface is an Edirol UA-1EX.

5 Replies Related Threads

daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    RE: question about Sonar Home Studio 2008/09/07 19:53:38 (permalink)
    Latency is a problem with all computer recording programs. If you have a good soundcard, you can minimize it. If you plan to use the soundchip that came with the computer, you will have to live with it or upgrade to something better, but not a SoundBlaster.
    post edited by daveny5 - 2008/09/07 19:54:42

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    zungle
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2745
    RE: question about Sonar Home Studio 2008/09/07 20:44:11 (permalink)
    My question is this: Does Sonar Home Studio have this issue, or will my overdubs be in sync?

To add to daveny5........

Sonar and SHS have a function called "nudge'...................This "Nudge"does as it says...it will nudge a track forward or backward in your songs time line.

You can calculate your recording offset/latency and create a preset in nudge which will align recorded tracks with the touch of a key on your keyboard..............

Oddly enough many users are either in the dark on this function or to lazy to set it up.............it is easy to set up and awesome to have available.

Good luck.
    daveny5
    • Total Posts : 16934
    RE: question about Sonar Home Studio 2008/09/07 22:21:43 (permalink)
    I've been using various versions of Sonar for almost 20 years and I've NEVER had to nudge a track to get it in sync. Everything I record is perfectly in sync.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    zungle
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2745
    RE: question about Sonar Home Studio 2008/09/07 23:26:11 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: daveny5

I've been using various versions of Sonar for almost 20 years and I've NEVER had to nudge a track to get it in sync. Everything I record is perfectly in sync.

Who pissed in your cornflakes?

If your recording in digital your recording with an offset whether you choose to be sample accurate in your tracking is up to you personally.

It is physically impossible to record exactly or perfectly in sync with your reference material........... unless you've set up some latency compensation.

I thought I was recording perfectly in sync as well, until I did a sample based loop back test which showed I was off 128 samples per track.............

You might think your in sync perfectly, because you can't easily detect offsets under 256 samples but it is still there.

Further more I guess CW just decided to put a nudge function into there DAW for grins?

Now ......I'm not sure what got you going, but you yourself let the OP know about the constant of latency..........

Latency is a problem with all computer recording programs. If you have a good soundcard, you can minimize it. If you plan to use the soundchip that came with the computer, you will have to live with it or upgrade to something better, but not a SoundBlaster.

All I did was support your statement and offer the OP some info on SHS.............

None........None ......of my reply was to you or about you.....

Everything I record is perfectly in sync.

Oh...........and..lastly I made the same statement in Music6000......... to one of the techs..........

He laughed and asked me if I had some time , I said sure............

He promptly tracked a few tracks using....... Cubase, Sonar6, .. he used a Mobile Pre and a Tascam122

Doing a simple loop back test...........(while showing me how to do it...............a couple different ways)

He magnified the reference track and the recorded track side by side ...........guess what the tracks were 512 samples off.........................he then said its OK, now you know.
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    RE: question about Sonar Home Studio 2008/09/08 04:38:54 (permalink)
    great point zungle. of course, if it's undetectable then it's not a huge issue. i think the issue for the OP is latency generated by the poor soundcard rather than audio/midi offset, what i will say is i found timing discrepancy much worse in shs6 on vista than in s7 on xp, i would often have to nudge in shs, whereas s7 is more sample-accurate - though i have set a permanent offset anyway, just so it's even tighter...

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1