question about X-Y stereo mics on drum overheads [UPDATED]

Author
dlogan
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2544
2010/09/20 14:15:55 (permalink)

question about X-Y stereo mics on drum overheads [UPDATED]

Okay so I'm recording drums for the first time tomorrow!!! The drum tracks are for bluegrass/acoustic songs so nothing elaborate. We're setting things up in my family room which is not acoustically ideal for a variety of reasons, but I do have really good drummer with a nice kit! Some decent mics too - we've got a Shure Beta 52a for the kick, a Shure SM57 for the snare and a set of Studio Projects C4 mics for the overheads. I'm going with the X-Y configuration for the overheads (or at least starting with that approach). But my question is... (drum roll please)...

Using this setup, do I point the mics horizontally? Point them to the ground? Something else??

I realize any input will be a starting place and I'll need to experiment, but I'd like to minimize the trial and error as much as possible because we need to record drum tracks for 3 songs tomorrow evening.
Thanks!
post edited by dlogan - 2010/09/22 10:04:27

17 Replies Related Threads

skullsession
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1765
    Re:question about X-Y stereo mics on drum overheads 2010/09/20 14:55:37 (permalink)
    Typically, Dave, you'd set them up so that they are up above the drummer pointing downward so that the mics are "looking" past each other in the X pattern.

The higher you place the mics, and the wider you swivel your X pattern, the more room you'll get.  Lower and less spread will give you more of the kit and less of the room.  However, XY typically captures a lot of room either way.

Make sure that your XY pattern is arranged so that the snare and kick drums are centered in your image, and equidistant to the mics.

You can also place the mics in front of the kit, pointed at the kit in an XY config.  I prefer the overhead config, as the snare and tom attack and transients are more present.  With the mics in front of the kit, you'll get even MORE of the room, and typically more cymbals than drum attack.

I would also urge you to consider taking a listen to a mono overhead with a mono room config instead.  Or mono OH with stereo room mics.

I think you'll be surprised.  Your average family room - if large - can be a pretty useful place to track drums.

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    dlogan
    Re:question about X-Y stereo mics on drum overheads 2010/09/20 15:17:20 (permalink)
    Thanks SKULL!! You're one of the people I was hoping would respond. I had seen info on the "typical" set-up and was wondering if that was really the way to go. This gives me a few options...
    skullsession
    Re:question about X-Y stereo mics on drum overheads 2010/09/20 15:47:41 (permalink)
    Dave....how high is the ceiling in your family room?

Oh...and don't forget to flip the phase back and forth from the OH mics in relation to the kick and snare mics.  Usually, one way sounds punchier than the other....a little more low end energy comes through when the phase is more in line.

If you flip the phase and don't notice any difference, that's not entirely unusual....so just go with it in that case.

It's a whole new can of worms, but at least you're only talking about 4 mics to begin with.  Recording a kit is one of my favorite challenges.

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    dlogan
    Re:question about X-Y stereo mics on drum overheads 2010/09/20 16:06:55 (permalink)
    It's a low ceiling - 7 foot I believe. I've recorded group vocals in that room before and the acoustics weren't bad. I'll be spending tonight removing pictures and anything that might rattle! I was hoping it would be cool tomorrow and I could turn off the A/C, but it looks like it's going to be pushing 90... My wife will be upstairs and is already being very tolerant of the recording sessions so I think I'd be pushing my luck to tell her we need to turn off the A/C so there's no noise!

Thanks for the reminder on flipping the phasing.

I'm really excited. I think this will be a good project to start with in terms of drum mic'ing, because of the style of music. He's not even bringing his toms and there won't be a ton of cymbal crashes etc.
    alexoosthoek
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5238
    Re:question about X-Y stereo mics on drum overheads 2010/09/20 17:43:27 (permalink)
    I would turn the A/C off, it can make a big glitch your take when it swithes on ...................

The CHB
    Some Live Demo's

Various ADK computers   and some thingy's
    Have fun!
    quantumeffect
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2771
    Re:question about X-Y stereo mics on drum overheads 2010/09/20 19:19:12 (permalink)
    I've been experimenting with XY, MS and AB mic configurations (in what is now my second acoustically challenged basement home studio with 7 foot ceiling) for many years.

When everything is said and done, I am almost always happiest with the results I get with a slightly modified AB configuration.

Dave

8.5 PE 64, i7 Studio Cat, Delta 1010, GMS and Ludwig Drums, Paiste Cymbals

"Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact." H. Simpson

"His chops are too righteous."  Plankton during Sponge Bob's guitar solo 
    Rbh
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2349
    Re:question about X-Y stereo mics on drum overheads 2010/09/20 23:41:03 (permalink)
    I think Skulls advice is right on the money. Also, X-Y is the safest way to mic overheads especially with a limited track count. One good thing for sure that with Bluegrass the drummer won't likely be playing hard....that can help quite a bit when recording with low ceilings. It's fun to experiment slipping the snare and kick tracks a few ms worth to line up with the overheads. Sounds like a fun project.
    post edited by Rbh - 2010/09/20 23:42:56

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
    CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
     Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
    dlogan
    Re:question about X-Y stereo mics on drum overheads 2010/09/21 08:39:11 (permalink)
    Thanks for the additional comments. Rbh - I had also heard that X-Y was the 'safest' way to go - less stereo spread but avoiding phasing problems. Also, I read it was a better approach when you had a less-than-desirable room. Also as I mentioned we've only got a couple of hours to record drums for 3 songs so I didn't want to spend tons of time on experimentation with mic placement.

My biggest concern at this point is things rattling. I took the pictures and stuff off the walls, put a blanket over the entertainment center, etc. But I guess "it is what it is" at this point. It's a project for a friend and he's just printing 100 CDs for friends and family, so it just wasn't worth the time and expense of going into a studio. I've got a nice room for vocals and guitar, but there's not enough room for drums in my home studio so the adjoining family room is the best option.

Recording tonight - I'll let you know how it goes and will post a sample when I've got it mixed!
    dlogan
    Re:question about X-Y stereo mics on drum overheads 2010/09/22 10:04:07 (permalink)
    Well recording went great last night! Really happy with the kick and snare. The drummer brought a basic set-up (he didn't even bring any crash cymbals since he didn't need it for these songs - bluegrass/acoustic) so my overheads were mainly just capturing the hi-hit, ride, floor tom and snare (the snare was also mic'd individually).

I ended up sticking with the X-Y configuration - both mics on a stereo mic bar on the same boom stand - over the drum kit, but slightly in front of it and angled down towards the snare but not pointing straight down. It picked things up really nicely because one mic was basically pointing at the hi-hit and the other was pointing towards the ride and floor tom, with the snare centered (which also really helped fill out the snare sound combined with the SM57).

Anyway, it worked well for this style and set-up so I'm happy and appreciate the advice! I didn't end up having any problems with noises from the room, etc. I will do some mixing tonight hopefully and will post the results so you can tell me what I did wrong!
    post edited by dlogan - 2010/09/22 10:05:08
    quantumeffect
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2771
    Re:question about X-Y stereo mics on drum overheads 2010/09/22 10:43:29 (permalink)
    ... looking forward to hearing the results.

Just out of curiosity did you have the capsules stacked on top of each other in a true xy configuration or did you use the ORTF arrangement?

As a side note, in addition to playing  classic rock I play drums in an "Ensemble" so I do a bit of recording in other styles of music.  There is no real mix in this vid but it gives you an idea of some of the stuff I record.  My bass drum is a '41 Slingerland w/ calfskin heads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qEYe4OEf5Q&feature=related
    post edited by quantumeffect - 2010/09/22 10:47:06

Dave

8.5 PE 64, i7 Studio Cat, Delta 1010, GMS and Ludwig Drums, Paiste Cymbals

"Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact." H. Simpson

"His chops are too righteous."  Plankton during Sponge Bob's guitar solo 
    dlogan
    Re:question about X-Y stereo mics on drum overheads 2010/09/22 10:55:53 (permalink)
    Dave - I did the true XY.

I'm blocked from youtube at work but I'll definitely check out your video!
    dlogan
    Re:question about X-Y stereo mics on drum overheads 2010/09/24 10:12:07 (permalink)
    Thanks to everyone for all your help. I'm pretty happy with the results I got. Here's a link to one of the songs we recorded if you have any feedback or mixing advice: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9678652

Dave - cool video! I love that version of "Precious Lord Take My Hand". We've done that at church as a really slow almost bluesy version- I love hearing your version and with the horn/woodwind section.
    Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    Re:question about X-Y stereo mics on drum overheads 2010/09/24 11:57:14 (permalink)
    Couple of mixing comments.

The snare and the midrange of the kick will need a boost. The guitar can go down a bit. You captured everything however. I would also add a little low end to the vocal. It was a little crispy on my headphones.

Love that clarinet in the video.
    post edited by Middleman - 2010/09/24 11:59:58

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    skullsession
    Re:question about X-Y stereo mics on drum overheads 2010/09/24 13:49:08 (permalink)
    Sweet Dave!

Drums sound nice and natural....perfect for this genre.

I'd call that a success....even if it was your first time.  Good work!

Psalmist35
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1471
    Re:question about X-Y stereo mics on drum overheads 2010/09/24 14:04:00 (permalink)
    Dave,
    I'm listening on PC speakers.  Drums sound great.  Nice mix too.

Rich

George Foreman Grill; Ginsu knifes; Clapper; Home Grown Intel i7 -6700K 16G Ram; Sonar Platinum; MOTU 896HD; Tascam US2400; 

My Music
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    Re:question about X-Y stereo mics on drum overheads 2010/10/05 17:52:38 (permalink)
    dlogan

Thanks to everyone for all your help. I'm pretty happy with the results I got. Here's a link to one of the songs we recorded if you have any feedback or mixing advice: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9678652

Dave - cool video! I love that version of "Precious Lord Take My Hand". We've done that at church as a really slow almost bluesy version- I love hearing your version and with the horn/woodwind section.

Not a $%!@* thing wrong with that recording. Sounds great. Reminds me of J.J. Cale but recording sounds better.
    fengyu99
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:question about X-Y stereo mics on drum overheads [UPDATED] 2010/11/01 03:09:16 (permalink)
    As a result of everyone to Buy WOW Gold, it is quite possible a

competitor or critic can use Marginize to questions about your business or services to raise - that

is exactly what is happening elsewhere to find. For this reason, I recommend to say about their own

company or brand online that every entrepreneur to start a website with free Marginize browser to

see add-on or Gold for WOW Gold market , what will be. Access

to this type of information allows Aion Leveling, in

real-time problems and opportunities on your own terms, as opposed to remaining ignorant to the fact

that both helpful and harmful dialogue takes place address. While Marginize is currently focused on

the Buy Aion Gold of content Twitter, I would not be

surprised if in the coming months we will see content from Yelp, StumbleUpon and other user-

generated recommendation emngines that are free to WOW Power

Leveling
    information to make for the public use their Marginize way in the stream.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1