GRITZ12
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2009/12/31 06:31:32 (permalink)

question about external hard drives.

hi and happy new year !

i received a seagate external hard drive 1 tb and i was wondering would it be
possible to load sonar producer 8.5 on the external hard drive and run it from
there - i was trying to load it on there last night and i see it was loading the majority
on to my g drive (external drive) but some is still loading on the F drive which is on my
pc.

would it work - i won't be attempting to use it on another pc but storing on the external drive  and hopefully running it on the 1tb external drive as its so big.

also i ask the same question about reason 4 as well

2 Replies Related Threads

Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:question about external hard drives. 2009/12/31 07:46:34 (permalink)
    SONAR should be on the OS disc. Trying to operate with SONAR on an external disc most likely leads to problems.

The best use for external HDD is using it for the Per Project folders and sample libraries.

If you have everything - SONAR, the project files, VST's and sample libraries on an external disc the data traffic can get cluttered. Also changing the default paths without exactly knowing what you're doing is risky. The wiser gurus can explain these in more detail.

Where do you have your backup files?

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    windsurfer25x
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1120
    Re:question about external hard drives. 2009/12/31 09:47:23 (permalink)
    I can't imagine trying to run Sonar off of an external HDD... I can imagine it having so many problems...
    There are some significant bottlenecks when trying to run live DAW applications on external HDDs that are connected via USB (I know from personal experience of trying to record to one)

If I were to even consider trying to that again it would be to an eSATA external HDD

Sonar X1 Expanded PE 64 bit
    Intel i7 2600k oc'd, 16Gb DDR3 RAM, intel 320 SSD OS drive, 7200RPM HDDx2, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit VS 100, Tascam US-2000, UAD2 - Izotope, Fabfilter, NI Komplete 7/Kore2 & +, Spectrasonics+

http://www.maskensmobilestudio.com

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1