"Broken" or "Shining Light" (you decide)

Author
julibee
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2826
2011/05/05 17:22:46 (permalink)

"Broken" or "Shining Light" (you decide)

(I don't seem to be able to embed links anymore in the forum... all the editing options are GONE! Whaaa??)

Another of my Swedish friends has asked me to do a song - I've never worked with him before. 
He asked that I first listen to the instrumental and write a lyric/record it as I heard it.  I came up with "Broken".  http://soundcloud.com/julibee/broken  My lyrics/vox, Max's backing.

Then, he asked that I listen to his original and record it as I saw fit, but kept with his original lyric and melody.  So that's what I did, after some very minor vocal re-arranging.  He called his version "Shining Light" (which seems to be a recurring theme with me, at least this week). http://soundcloud.com/julibee/shining-light  Max's Lyric and backing/my vox.

So, this is not really up for mix crits, as I KNOW I'm no great shakes at it, and he'll be mixing it anyway.  In fact, I really just threw this together mix-wise, just for samples. 

The real question is... overall, which song do you prefer? 

I can't make up my mind... But I did just make both of these this morning.  So...  They are raw.

(Edit) I forgot to delete the intro clicks.  sorry.... AND, there's a strange click right before I sing that was on his track in the very beginning.  I couldn't do anything about it...)
post edited by julibee - 2011/05/05 17:25:55

She who must be obeyed. ***New and Improved with a Scarlett 8i6!***
Soundcloud     www.juliannamcduffie.com

10 Replies Related Threads

darylcrowley
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2700
    Re:"Broken" or "Shining Light" (you decide) 2011/05/05 19:02:02 (permalink)
    OK.  I liked your version better, melodically it was better.  I liked your words much better.

Honesty I didn't like either melody very much.  The first break in the tune that was just instrumental, I thought was great opportunity for some dynamic stuff but it was just the music, which was nice but some vox could be belted out there.

I think the lyrics should be faster paced against that nice lush but slow steady background.  I think because of the pace of the vibe, with the vocals hitting that same pace it seems to drag overall.

That would be my number one suggestion.  Of course if you add a lot more notes, it's going to mess with your lyrics, but I confident you could handle that, your a darn good lyricist.  You know I'm a fan!

That's my assessment, change the melody and speed up the clip of the vocals.

Daryl

Daryl Crowley
    Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
    Windows 7 64bit Professional
    Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
    http://www.darylcrowley.com/
    Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:"Broken" or "Shining Light" (you decide) 2011/05/05 21:53:10 (permalink)
    Hi Jules!

hmm. interesting concept of switching the writing like that.  I think I like the 2nd one better - the one with you singing his vocals/lyrics.

but honestly neither of these is my favorite of your work.  but that's not a complaint against you in any way.  I'm a big fan of yours as well!  I'm just not that fond of these songs, I guess.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:"Broken" or "Shining Light" (you decide) 2011/05/05 22:24:46 (permalink)
    (Embedding lyrics is hit and miss for me too.)

IMHO: both of these are Julianna at her best; virtually all the sketches have vibrant and melodic hooks to captivate.  There are so many to pick and choose from.

Wow!  To me, You're brave to offer your 1st sketches here ... as these feel vulnerable and equisitely fragil at this point ... and many artists here will 'accidentally' crit your subconscious, prematurely. 

Were it me, I'd possibly have placed these sketches on techniques forum, where us producers like to hyper-encourage and edify each other more.

Both of these scratch sketches have very hypnotic samples to draw from and to build up 'that song'.

#2 samples are much more sweetly hypnotic as the song progresses and cause my ears to incline quite a bit more than #1.

#2 feels (to me) more deft, sublime, motivated, caring, and filled with hooks for your producer/mixer to condense.

I love #2 twice as much as #1.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    notnat
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5236
    Re:"Broken" or "Shining Light" (you decide) 2011/05/06 10:30:16 (permalink)
    I like Shining Light much more...
    bayoubill
    • Total Posts : 10899
    Re:"Broken" or "Shining Light" (you decide) 2011/05/06 11:58:32 (permalink)
    Jules, IMHO I think this is a case where you have to let it evolve. Keep writing and rewriting the melody and vox then come back and do it again. I love the feel of it! you've got a good song brewing here. Thanks!

SWAMP MUSIC
    Sonar PLATINUM        
    Studio Cat DAW

Starise
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7563
    Re:"Broken" or "Shining Light" (you decide) 2011/05/06 12:01:07 (permalink)
     Went to your page,checked your music out.....Great voice and chops, well presented.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
    3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
    Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
     CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:"Broken" or "Shining Light" (you decide) 2011/05/06 13:30:17 (permalink)
    Could not say either way thanks for sharing though.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    julibee
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2826
    Re:"Broken" or "Shining Light" (you decide) 2011/05/06 15:17:00 (permalink)
    Thanks for the feedback!  Yeah, I know that these aren't my best, but I was just curious as to which to really get to work on. 

Daryl, You are probably right about the pacing.  In fact, I'm sure you are.  I'll suggest it, but I don't know how it's going to end... My friend likes both versions, and may somehow meld them together, and I'll sing it again for the end result.  "A darn good lyricist!"  That really made my day... :)

No worries, Beags!  I AM glad you liked "Radiant", though... I think that's my favoritest of all for a billion reasons... Thanks, dear.

Phillip, I saw your comment last night at about 11:30, and had a billion and one thoughts run through my head, but was too tired to write it all down.  So let's see if I can remember...

It didn't even occr to me that I was posting bravely by adding something vocally/lyrically half-baked- In fact, I guess since my forte is the writing and singing, rather than the mixing, I don't see it much different than posting a song for mix crits.  But you are probably right in that many people wouldn't "get it" that way.  Another forum I belong to (the Swedish one) has two forums; one for works in progress, and another for more finished pieces (they do still critique and remix at that point, though) - I guess I didn't think it out of place with that experience.  And you know, I feel safe here - I know that some will be faster to criticize than others, and that doesn't bother me in the slightest.  That's why I come here.  Thank you SO Much for your ears and thoughts, my friend.

Frank,  I too, prefer #2, at least the ending.  I'm not wild about the lyrics (that's an understatement), and I hope that Max figures out how to meld them together.  We'll work on it.  Thank you. 

Bill, we'll see where it takes us! 

Thank you, Starise - I'll be looking for you, too....

Wook - I'm just happy to see your fuzzy face.  :D

She who must be obeyed. ***New and Improved with a Scarlett 8i6!***
    Soundcloud     www.juliannamcduffie.com
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:"Broken" or "Shining Light" (you decide) 2011/05/06 21:34:47 (permalink)
    I like the first one.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:"Broken" or "Shining Light" (you decide) 2011/05/06 22:28:20 (permalink)
    Hmmm...do I have to choose?  I like them both in their own way. 

Amazing you can throw two of these together in a morning.  Wow!  Beautiful!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1