"Change save path" button, or something

Author
Kalle Rantaaho
Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7005
2015/09/13 03:12:19 (permalink)
5 (2)

"Change save path" button, or something

Just read a thread on the SONAR side about how important it is to have backups, and save to different locations and all that normal stuff. The thread was actually about how often folks see SONAR corrupting files.

Would it be difficult/reliable/possible to have something like this:
You can set 2-3 alternative save paths, and make SONAR save either to all of them every time, or you could switch paths according to your choice. This would be more flexible than something like a RAID system (and more vulnerable, of course). You'd have up to the minute backups of the stuff, and one day you need the get it on a thumb drive in addition to the external project HDD and backup HDD or whatever...

Actually, working in Photoshop I've very often dreamt of a switchable path for opening files. Working with images I often need to open material from different sources.

Hmmm...just sippin' coffee on a sunday morning getting ready to make some firewood...

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.

2 Replies Related Threads

Beepster
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 18001
    Re: "Change save path" button, or something 2015/09/13 11:42:33 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    This actually would be quite nice but I think I'd like an extra customization where there is an area in the Save As dialog that houses little checkmarks for the backup paths and an option to set it up to "Automatically Save to Custom Backup Targets" or "Manually Save to Custom Backup Targets".

The first would save to the backups everytime unless the user removes the checkmarks and the second would require the user to manuall check the boxes on the back up locations every time. For the checkmark area allow user generated "friendly" names instead of showing full paths (so I could just name things like "Storage E", "WD Ext" or "Flash A". If any of those drives are disconnected the entry is grayed out (instead of throwing a "Cannot Find Drive" type error after saving).

Since I do so many incremental saves I would rather have a manual option when I know I've got a "keeper" backup.

Then I guess add a further option tied to the regular Save people could use as an auto incremental back (so every time you click Save it can update/replace the previous backup version). Maybe have an option for that as well that would pop up a little backup dialog with all the connected back up paths that people could check/uncheck/uncheck all... and of course another checkmark "Do Not Show This Dialog" so if it starts annoying people they can get rid of it without going into Prefs.

Something like that.

I find when I manually create backups with the current system I inevitable do something dumb and stuff goes somewhere weird or the Project File and Audio folder get separated or some other dumbcrap futzery causing me to have to go right into the folder structure to correct it. This would go a long way for "dum dum" protection in that regard.

Voted.
    BobF
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8124
    Re: "Change save path" button, or something 2015/09/13 12:08:22 (permalink)
    I like it Beep.  I was going to come back to this and write much the same.  Thanks

Bob  --
    Angels are crying because truth has died ...
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    --
    Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
    Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
    Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1