"Face the Fire" 3/6/11 (Hopefully Final Remix)

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Bob Oister
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2766
2011/02/16 21:01:04 (permalink)

"Face the Fire" 3/6/11 (Hopefully Final Remix)

"Face the Fire" Remix (Power Rock)

Hi, Folks!

I posted the first version of this about six months ago, and I finally got a chance for a second crack at it.  Frankly, this mix has been driving me nuts.  I completely redid the drums, thickened up the guitars and bass, hated how it was translating on different systems, and then thinned out the guitars and bass again.  I'm really looking for details on levels, etc., as well as how the overall mix is translating on your different systems.

As usual, any and all helpful comments, suggestions, constructive criticism and ideas are welcome and greatly appreciated!

"Face the Fire"

128kbps MP3 on SoundClick at: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=8822287  

or...

Slightly Better Quality MP3, First Song on Player at: www.BobOister.com

Thanks in advance for your opinions, suggestions, comments and ideas!

Bob  

EDIT: 3/6/11 - Hopefully final remix for this one!

I added a little of the "thump" back into the kick drum, re-eqed the bass guitar and raised the bass up another 1.5 dB.  I'm hoping this will be a happy medium that translates pretty well on most systems.  Does the bass seem easier to hear now?

Thanks again, everyone, for all your input and advice, the folks on this forum are truly amazing!
Bob
post edited by Bob Oister - 2011/03/06 04:56:55

76 Replies Related Threads

thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    Re:"Face the Fire" Remix (Power Rock) 2011/02/17 07:39:20 (permalink)
    hey Bob...hope your well mate! Love to see you back in the batting cage! kk down to business -

for my ears it sounds like the whole mix needs to b pushed back a wee bit while leaving the vox in place..it just feels like the vox sits a bit behing the music..normally I'd say just kick the vox up a bit..but I always like to trim a bit first as to me sometimes less is more...love the tune.

Anytime you need an Alt mix I'd be willing (pending workload)

shoot me a IM

Nice to see you brudda!

radio
    • Total Posts : 2782
    Re:"Face the Fire" Remix (Power Rock) 2011/02/17 09:45:51 (permalink)

Hey Bob this really sounds cool with a solid beat to it perfect for this tune of yours .
    Mix , vocals and guitar sounds great .

Nice one . Radio

Bob Oister
    Re:"Face the Fire" Remix (Power Rock) 2011/02/17 17:52:59 (permalink)
    Hey, Tom!

How are you, buddy, did you dig your way back out of the good old Pennsylvania snow and cold?  Shockingly, it's 57 degrees here today, and 65 tomorrow!

Thanks for checking this remix out for me and for your good suggestion.  As I mentioned in my PM to you a couple weeks ago, I wasn't able to get any time in my studio for a month or two, and feel that I sort of lost my "ear" for my monitors after only listening to music on home and car stereos, and MP3 players for two months.  I kind of recently rushed back in and started remixing before getting my ears readjusted to the studio setup, and got into all kinds of mix trouble.  I think I'm finally getting used to the system and the room again, and hopefully I'll get back into the groove fairly quickly.

I'm going to try your suggestion about lowering the instruments, if I can get some time later tonight.  For this mix, I did actually drop the vox down about 3db from where I originally had them because on one of my home stereo systems the vocals seemed to overpower everything but the drums.

Thanks again for the advice and have a good one!
    Bob
    notnat
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5236
    Re:"Face the Fire" Remix (Power Rock) 2011/02/17 18:25:26 (permalink)
    sounds HUGE...
    great work...
    rockinrobby
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:"Face the Fire" Remix (Power Rock) 2011/02/17 18:30:55 (permalink)
    How do you get that so loud? You must smash the **** out of it! It sounds good though, and I know it's appropriate for this genera to squash the hell out of it. I would fatten the vox with a little more mid/bottom. They sound a little on the high side EQ wise to me. But I can't mix myself out of a wet paper bag, so take that with a bag of salt...

Oh I'm listening on SC so that's probably it, the 128K vs. 320.

Pretty cool how you got those guitars to squeal like Ned Beaty there at the end! :-) Weeee! Weeeeee!
    post edited by rockinrobby - 2011/02/17 18:32:54

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
    Bob Oister
    Re:"Face the Fire" Remix (Power Rock) 2011/02/18 17:50:39 (permalink)
    radio:  Hi, James,

Thanks, buddy,  I really appreciate you giving the song a listen, and also your very kind comments!  I hope your recent apartment moving went well for you.

Thanks again, and have a great weekend!
    Bob
    philz
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re:"Face the Fire" Remix (Power Rock) 2011/02/18 18:03:59 (permalink)
    Hey Bob- I remember listening to the original posting and totally loving the tune.  I'm afaraid I'm not going to be of much use so far as crits go, because I still love it.  If there's something that could be improved there, I'm not hearing it. 

Great job man!
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:"Face the Fire" Remix (Power Rock) 2011/02/18 21:20:47 (permalink)
    Listening on my VAIO:
    Drums are too up front. A song this majestic needs a kit big enough to fill the room, and this fairly dry kit reduces that. Can't feel or distinguish any bass. Vox need more presence.

Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:"Face the Fire" Remix (Power Rock) 2011/02/18 23:41:23 (permalink)
    jamesyoyo

Listening on my VAIO:
    Drums are too up front. A song this majestic needs a kit big enough to fill the room, and this fairly dry kit reduces that. Can't feel or distinguish any bass. Vox need more presence.

I agree with the above, but man, this is a great big giant ROCKER!

String Jammer
    Slow Marching Band
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1603
    Re:"Face the Fire" Remix (Power Rock) 2011/02/19 08:57:55 (permalink)
    Your stuff always makes me smile Bob, I love a good no-nonsense rocker. Great riff on this, solid. Love that AC/DC style intro, that's a good trick.
    Excellent vocals as always. One crit - I agree with JamesYoyo, can't pick out any bass in here.

James
    BIABDude
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 676
    Re:"Face the Fire" Remix (Power Rock) 2011/02/19 09:39:37 (permalink)
    song + + + + 1 --vocals + + + + 1
    suggestions --- having a hard time hearing the bass
    mgh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:"Face the Fire" Remix (Power Rock) 2011/02/19 17:01:14 (permalink)
    still a great tune Bob. i agree with James re the bass and pull the drums back a hair, and put the vox more outfront in the chorus.

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Bob Oister
    Re:"Face the Fire" Remix (Power Rock) 2011/02/20 04:04:48 (permalink)
    New mix up 2/20/11, after the general consensus of the first few comments.  Thanks, guys for all your suggestions and ideas so far!  On this second mix I dropped the drum bus volume by 3.5db and backed off the compressor a bit, I ran my Hi Pass filter on the 5-string bass track way up to 80hz, allowing me to boost the bass track volume by about 3db, and I raised the verse vox by 1db and the chorus vox 2db.

Please keep the comments and suggestions coming (particularly about instrument levels and general tonality), because I'm trying to regain my "Ears" after being out of the studio for a couple of months, and I really think you guys are coming to my rescue.  Thanks for all your input and observations!  I'm hoping to be able thank everybody personally tomorrow afternoon or night.

Bob
    ohgrant
    Max Output Level: -35.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3966
    Re:"Face the Fire" Remix (Power Rock) 2011/02/20 07:23:25 (permalink)
     Oh yea, that's awesome, sounds huge and authentic power rock.

Me

jamesyoyo
    Re:"Face the Fire" Remix (Power Rock) 2011/02/20 07:58:18 (permalink)
    Bass still too weak. I wouldn't HPF the bass up to 80hz, though: that kills all the bass's low bottom power, and then kinda makes the whole tune too thin, especially since the kick is kinda clicky and not too deep either. Have you ever tried enveloping the guitar eq? For example, leave any HPF off until the bass comes in, and then HPF around 150hz and a low shelf -6db at 180hz. That makes the gutiars sound super phat and then the bass can come in and take up its own space down low.
    Bob Oister
    Re:"Face the Fire" Remix (Power Rock) 2011/02/20 18:47:59 (permalink)
    notnat:  Hi, Frank, thank you, sir, for the listen and encouraging comments!  I really appreciate your opinion, have a great night!

Bob
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

rockinrobby:  Hey, Robby, how's it going, pal?  Thanks for checking this one out and for your comments!

I've got the Ozone Loudness Maximizer strapped across the master bus, do you think the current setting might be a little bit too much for this type of song?

Yeah, the Ned Beatty squeals were from my "Deliverance" model Floyd Rose tremolo, that also works great on banjo solos, especially if you have a shaved head.

Thanks again for listening and commenting, I truly appreciate it.  Have a good one!
    Bob
    rockinrobby
    Re:"Face the Fire" Remix (Power Rock) 2011/02/20 19:04:27 (permalink)
    I still want to hear "and feel" that bass man...

Bob Oister
    Re:"Face the Fire" Remix (Power Rock) 2011/02/21 16:45:46 (permalink)
    Edit 2:  Another New Mix up 2/21/11 - Backed down the hi pass filter on the bass guitar track to add more bass presence.  I'm hoping you guys can hear/feel the bass a bit better now!  Please let me know what you think.

Thanks!
    Bob
    CreatingNoise
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1666
    Re:"Face the Fire" Remix (Power Rock) 2011/02/21 18:13:55 (permalink)
    Bob,
      Glad to hear you are back in the studio!  I remember this tune from the original post, a real smoker!!!  I listened to it on Friday and Saturday but couldn't post.  I really dig the new mix (2.21).  The bass really rounds out the sound and everything seems to be sitting in a good spot and meshing well.  This is definitely my fav rocker from you.  Great work!
    Bob Oister
    Re:"Face the Fire" Remix (Power Rock) 2011/02/21 21:41:43 (permalink)
    philz:  Hey, Phil,

Thanks for giving this a listen and for your kind words!  I always look forward to and greatly appreciate your opinion and comments.

P.S. I hope you Long Islanders didn't get hit with another foot and a half of snow like we did last night!  It was 67 degrees here on Friday, and we finally got rid of most of the previous snow pack, then BAM!   Here we go again!

Have a great day, Phil!
    Bob
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jamesyoyo:  Hi, James,

Thanks for your always clear, concise observations and suggestions!  Your advice is always right on the money and extremely helpful, and I am very thankful for your help.

As noted in my two edit posts above, I took your advice and backed down the drum bus a bit and bumped up the vocals, but I am still struggling with a fine balance for the bass track.  I recently noticed that many of my mixes seemed to have too much bass guitar on two or three other stereo systems, and I am probably being a little bit too conservative with my bass volume level.  So, I'm slowly "inching" it back up to see what level you guys think seems appropriate for the song, without flooding the bottom end.

Thanks again for your help!
    Bob
    rockinrobby
    Re:"Face the Fire" Remix (Power Rock) 2011/02/21 21:48:20 (permalink)
    I know a guy who works in a hydrocolon therapy clinic? All he does all day long is flooding the bottom end? Tough work I guess but better than being unemployed :-(

RockingChair
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 803
    Re:"Face the Fire" Remix 2-21(Power Rock) 2011/02/21 22:06:46 (permalink)

Cool tune.
    post edited by RockingChair - 2011/02/22 22:42:05

RockingChair
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 803
    Re:"Face the Fire" Remix (Power Rock) 2011/02/21 22:14:25 (permalink)

I liked it.
    post edited by RockingChair - 2011/02/22 22:42:29

Bob Oister
    Re:"Face the Fire" Remix (Power Rock) 2011/02/22 04:12:41 (permalink)
    Scottytunes:  Hey, Scotty, it's great to hear from you, Buddy!

Thanks for giving this a listen and for your very kind comment.  I made a few changes to the mix based on everybody's input, and hopefully the mix is getting closer to where it should be.

Thanks again for checking it out and have a great day!
    Bob
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Slow Marching Band:  Hi, James, how are you, my friend?  Doing great, I hope!

Thank you for your input and your kind words, I always look forward to, and greatly appreciate your observations because you definitely have an amazing ear for writing, playing and production, as proven by the high quality of the work that you and Larry put out on a regular basis.

I made a few mix changes, and I think it's getting closer to where it should be.  Do you think the bass guitar level has to still come up a bit, or is it sitting better in the mix now?  Lately, I've gotten a bit paranoid about having too much low end in my mixes, and I think I may have over compensated in this mix, pulling back the low end on everything and practically making the bass non existent.

Thanks for the listen, and have a great day!
    Bob
    giankap
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 387
    Re:"Face the Fire" Remix (Power Rock) 2011/02/22 08:37:40 (permalink)
    a classic "classic rock" tune. greaaaat job! nice guitars, nice vocals, and very powerful groove!

sincerely,

Ioannis

Windows - some Dual Core CPU - a little bit of RAM - not so bad soundcard - i think it's called Sonar - a silver mixer with colorful knobs - black speaker monitors - my ears

some work
    SteveStrummerUK
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31112
    Re:"Face the Fire" Remix (Power Rock) 2011/02/22 13:50:20 (permalink)

Hey there Bob - one word comes to mind - 'massive'

This sounds awesome my friend, and I just love the solo work.

And your voice sounds as good on this as on anything I've heard of yours Bob

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Bob Oister
    Re:"Face the Fire" Remix (Power Rock) 2011/02/22 18:20:01 (permalink)
    BIABDude:  Hey, Dude, thanks very much for checking this out for me, and for your nice comments and suggestion!  I made a few level adjustments, and I'm hoping that you're able to hear the bass a bit better now.

Appreciate the listen, and your input, have a good one!
    Bob
    Bob Oister
    Re:"Face the Fire" Remix (Power Rock) 2011/02/22 22:13:21 (permalink)
    mgh:  Hey, Mark, 

Thank you for checking it out and for your observations and suggestions!

I took yours and James suggestions and re-leveled the drums, vocals and bass.  I'm hoping it's getting closer to where it should be.  I'm wondering if when I did the first remix, I removed all of the punch while trying to tame the low end.  Does this mix still seem fairly full sounding to you?

Thanks again, and have a great night!
    Bob
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ohgrant:  Hey, Grant, thank you very much, sir!  I truly appreciate your input and encouraging words.

Thanks for giving it a listen, and have a great night, my friend,!
    Bob
    jamesyoyo
    Re:"Face the Fire" Remix (Power Rock) 2011/02/22 22:29:16 (permalink)
    Bass still needs to come up. And widen out that snare. It sounds so puny next to those guitars.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1