"Fortress"

Author
Heckxx
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 338
2011/08/24 10:55:58 (permalink)

"Fortress"

Hey all, just finished up a new song for the summer. Apparently it took me all summer to write this (along with some other tracks I'm slowly working on). Anyways, let me know what you think! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kz5PhKAH04 -Jeff

11 Replies Related Threads

jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:"Fortress" 2011/08/24 12:07:57 (permalink)
    Strong writing, Jeff. Happy and melancholy at the same time. Some nice arrangement choices.

I would trim some of the upper high end off of the snare, as it seems to be the top end element and it distracts from the somewhat buried vocals. In fact, I would think about a more electronic pop kit than that one (Addictive Drums, by the way?) with a tighter sound.
    Ian Ferrin
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 527
    Re:"Fortress" 2011/08/24 12:18:31 (permalink)
    I REALLY REALLY like this Jeff. I have a couple of critiques but they're not that important. You've got a really good tune here that held my interest all the way thru. (that actually doesn't happen all that often).

1st question - is 'undetected' the best word for the emotional ark of this lyric? It seems to me that you want to be stealthy but VICTORIOUS. I'm not sure the victorious part comes thru. IE 'undetected' and 'defenses' are both kinda negative words. But regardless, if you can't find anything better, what you have is OK. But if you could imply victory or success in your hook, it might make it a little more commercial.

The other small critique is that you sound like you have a cold. I don't know if this is your processing or just your voice, or maybe you did have a cold.

Neither one of these things is necessarily bad. I did notice them though, and I figure others might. This is a REALLY strong tune. Very commercial. I love the steampunk imagery too BTW.

Peace,

Ian
    post edited by Ian Ferrin - 2011/08/24 12:19:39

"Everyone is a 'believer' - even if you don't believe, that's a belief" - Me

Songs - (at soundclick)
    Sonar Platinum, Native Instruments Komplete 10u, Korg N1R X2 (for some reason I still love this old synth).
    Heckxx
    Re:"Fortress" 2011/08/25 02:51:47 (permalink)
    James, thanks for the technical feedback, that is always something I need suggestions on. The drums here are Battery 3, sometimes I use superior drummers mixed in there, but not this time. Snare is just a few random snare sounds put together, one of them is sort of like a tom actually. I'll have to check out Addictive Drums, I can always use more options and samples for drums. 

- 

Ian, I do see what you mean by "undetected" and "defenses", mainly that if I were to somehow say "victorious" it would be a clearer message. I think I was too in love with how clever those lines sounded and rhymed, I always looked past it. So far this is the best alternative I can come up with:

"I will pass through these defenses
     I'll prove ______________________ 
     Fortress you can't hold me back
     This story's not a tragic act 
     Even if the tears are flowing"

I didn't have a cold, but I was a bit lazy when I recorded these vocals. If you can, listen to my other songs on youtube (fantasy, pressure, one step), and see if you hear the same thing. Perhaps it's just the way I sing. 

Thanks again for the feedback and kind words, I really appreciate it!
    post edited by Heckxx - 2011/08/25 02:54:48
    Ian Ferrin
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 527
    Re:"Fortress" 2011/08/25 03:44:26 (permalink)

Ian, I do see what you mean by "undetected" and "defenses", mainly that if I were to somehow say "victorious" it would be a clearer message. I think I was too in love with how clever those lines sounded
    Hi Jeff,

I agree that those lines sound good.  That's not nothing!.  All the best with this.

Ian

"Everyone is a 'believer' - even if you don't believe, that's a belief" - Me

Songs - (at soundclick)
    Sonar Platinum, Native Instruments Komplete 10u, Korg N1R X2 (for some reason I still love this old synth).
    CK97
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 19
    Re:"Fortress" 2011/08/25 05:00:40 (permalink)
    Hi.

I'm a newbie on the forum and with SONAR LE, so I explored the forum and stumbled across your song.

Very encouraging and inspiring lyrics - just what I needed to hear today! Thanks!

This world needs to hear words like in this song.

I find my cheap PA system a bit over bassy when the EQ is set on all 0dB, so on my PA with the aforesaid settings your song sounded a bit over bassy, but it could be because of my stupid PA. I'll try to listen to your song through my flat response headphones later.

I love the whole song, the melody and the structure.
    I imagine that adding some subtle 8-beat-long 2-note (playing the tonic and fifth) guitar power chords with slight distortion/overdrive effects at each first beat of the chorus would compliment the chorus.
    Ian Ferrin

The other small critique is that you sound like you have a cold. I don't know if this is your processing or just your voice, or maybe you did have a cold.
    You should hear MY nose! And I don't have a cold. I have to practice singing while holding my nose closed to stop me from singing through my nose and create new habits singing from other areas like from my stomach.

Wow! What a song!

Please give me permission to download it for myself to encourage me on days like these.

This should be a hit for sure!
    Janet
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:"Fortress" 2011/08/25 20:22:02 (permalink)
    Really nice tune and I enjoyed the arrangement too.
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:"Fortress" 2011/08/26 06:00:48 (permalink)
    toughest thing in the world to write a pop song, you have written a great one here. you can easily imagine this performed by some top band with an awesome production. not that yours is shabby, but you know what i mean! a summer well spent!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    CK97
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 19
    Re:"Fortress" 2011/08/26 06:07:29 (permalink)
    mgh

... you can easily imagine this performed by some top band with an awesome production ... a summer well spent!

Agree! I wanna hear this on the radio!

post edited by CK97 - 2011/08/26 06:28:29
    whack
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1188
    Re:"Fortress" 2011/08/26 06:34:36 (permalink)
    I LOVE this chorus man!

TBH, i didnt like the intro verse,but when I listened back I loved it.

I kept wanting to hear a crunching electric guitar to come in,anway,

LOVE this chorus....!!

Cian

www.cmcgmusic.com

Melody and Meaning
    Heckxx
    Re:"Fortress" 2011/08/28 21:45:59 (permalink)
    Wow, thanks again for the kind words everyone! A general consensus does seem to be that I need to rework that first verse still, but the rest is pretty good.

CK97, I think I set it up where you can download the song (for free) from my bandcamp. Let me know if it works or not, I haven't used bandcamp that much:
    http://jefftadashi.bandcamp.com

-Jeff
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:"Fortress" 2011/08/28 22:22:57 (permalink)
    I like it. Nice job all the way around

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1