"Getaway" (Rock)

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Bob Oister
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2766
Re:"Getaway" (Rock) 2011/10/17 20:16:58 (permalink)
vechung:

Hi, Vicente:

How are things?  Going great, I hope!

Thanks for giving this a listen and for your kind comments and good input!  I think I'll try turning up the bass a dB or two, because you're absolutely right, sometimes we just can't make ourselves turn down the guitars.   But seriously, I'm usually very conservative on the bass because I'm concerned about too much mud, so I probably do have to boost it up a little.

Thanks for your input and suggestions, I really appreciate your advice.  Have a great night,Vicente!
Bob
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LpMike75:

Hey, Mike,

Thanks very much for checking this one out for me and for your very kind words! 

I really appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment, and it means a lot to me.

Have a great night, Mike!
Bob
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SteveStrummerUK:

Hey, Steve,

How are you, brother?  Hope you've been giving good old "Ruby" a rockin' workout!

Thanks for checking out this new one for me and for your encouraging words!  And also, thanks again for your suggestion last year about doing some experimenting with the PSP Vintage Warmer.  I wanted a slightly different guitar solo tone for this song, and I was trying to get the "super saturated" sound similar to what an amp makes right when the speaker is about to blow, and some unusual dial spinning in the Vintage Warmer, along with some odd EQ tweaks seems to have gotten me pretty close for the solos on this one.

Many thanks for your input, support and friendship, buddy.  Have a good one, my friend!
Bob
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Janet:

Hi, Janet,

Thanks for giving this a listen and for your very kind words!

Yep, I never really learned to play drums, and would never attempt to play them "live", so, I just try to do the best I can by layering them and keeping the main parts fairly simple, and hopefully, improvement will come with more experience.

Thanks again, and I hope you're having a great time on your vacation.  Enjoy yourself, you deserve a nice break!
Bob
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FastBikerBoy:

Hi, Karl,

Thanks very much for checking this song out for me, and for your input and kind words!

You're most likely right about the bass, because Vicente also mentioned it being a little low, and I'm always a bit conservative on my bass levels because I mainly use a 5 String bass and also usually use deeper sounding guitar tones with quite a bit of low end.  I'm going to take your suggestion and bump up the bass by a dB or two for the remix.

I agree with you 100% about some guitar solos for this type of music, turning into a speed race, and like yourself, I also prefer melodic feel and emotive elements to just blinding speed for the sake of "flash value".  Both elements are great to have in your arsenal, but personally, I don't think people need to throw everything but the kitchen sink into a 30 or 45 second solo in every single song they write.

Thank you again for giving this a listen, and for your input and observations, I greatly appreciate it!

Bob
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
darylcrowley
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2700
Re:"Getaway" (Rock) 2011/10/17 21:51:58 (permalink)
Bob -  I hear you on the "busy lately", I'm with you there bud.

Another nice arena rock number from you.  This would pack any dance floor in America.  Good vocals too.  I can understand the words, great job on not burying them.  Love the bridge in the 3:15 area. 

Nicely done.

Daryl

Daryl Crowley
Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
Windows 7 64bit Professional
Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
http://www.darylcrowley.com/
Venus
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 496
Re:"Getaway" (Rock) 2011/10/18 11:18:03 (permalink)
Bob, you're so awesome! I don't even know how to critique something like that.

Yes, I'm back ...with minions. Luv, D

Collabs are here:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=1208769 
Past solo recordings (my mixes) are here:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=918473 
The future is on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMZqTJNpfZuGy7k62nVJ4eA

markno999
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1450
Re:"Getaway" (Rock) 2011/10/18 13:40:39 (permalink)
Bob,

Nice tune.   Like it.   I hear a little Foghat, Joe Walsh (in the vocals), Boston, Grand Funk.  Some of my favs....

Regards
Bob Oister
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2766
Re:"Getaway" (Rock) 2011/10/19 21:54:20 (permalink)
darylcrowley:

Hey, Daryl,

Thanks for dropping by to check this one out for me, buddy, and also for your very kind words! I truly appreciate your input and encouraging comments.

Yep, it's always a fine line with the vocal levels for me. I usually start out having them way too out front, and then end up lowering them a couple times to get the right "fit" for the mix.  I want them loud enough to not have to strain to understand the lyrics, but not overpowering the entire mix.  I usually have the same problem with guitar solos, as you can tell from some of the early comments on this song.  I usually end up fine-tuning by half dB increments until It sounds fairly balanced with the background parts.

Thanks again, Daryl, have a great night!
Bob
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Venus:

Hi, Dena,

Thanks so much for giving this a listen for me, and for your very kind words!  It's really great to see you back on the forum again, we've missed that amazing voice of yours around here. 

I really appreciate your input and comments, and don't be a stranger.  Have a great evening!
Bob
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

markno999:

Hey, Mark,

How are you, buddy?  Doing great, I hope!

Thanks for checking this one out for me and for your encouraging comments!

You named four of my favorite early influences when I first started with music.  Even before he was in Foghat, I loved Savoy Brown with Dave Peverette, Joe Walsh in the James Gang days, the fourth song I ever sang in my life was "Funk #49", Boston was my all time favorite 70's & 80's band, I've seen them eleven times, and "I'm Your Captain" (Closer to Home), was the absolute very first song I ever sang.  So, I guess very early influences always tend to show through even decades later.

Thanks again for giving this a listen, I greatly appreciate it.  And, I just want to mention that your cover of "No Matter What" is still one of my favorite cover remakes ever posted here on the forum.  Great stuff!

Have a good one!
Bob
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1