"Hearts on Fire" (Modern Rock) Updated Mix: 5/28

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
ohgrant
Max Output Level: -35.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3966
Re:"Hearts on Fire" (Modern Rock) 2011/05/26 14:43:10 (permalink)
 Always a great tune from you Bob, great one here. Awesome vocals and guitar. Only thing IMO bass needs to come up tad.

Me

notnat
Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5236
Re:"Hearts on Fire" (Modern Rock) 2011/05/26 15:07:10 (permalink)
Great work here Bob... Sounds huge... well done...

LpMike75
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1621
Re:"Hearts on Fire" (Modern Rock) 2011/05/27 01:17:03 (permalink)
Really cool Bob, as usual!  I agree the drums need some work with the timing in some places.  I could hear the bass fine on my system.  Great guitar sound and vocals

- Mike
Sonar Platinum - M-Audio Profire 2626 , Pro Tools 11 HD Omni - PC I7 6850K - 64 G RAM - GeForce GTX 970
http://www.soundcloud.com/michael-lizotte 
Http://WWW.HomeRecordingWizard.Com
HTTP://WWW.Facebook.com/HomeRecordingWizard
Http://www.mjlmusic.com 
marcos69
Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4950
Re:"Hearts on Fire" (Modern Rock) 2011/05/28 23:09:17 (permalink)
Really great stuff Bob.  This one has some nice creative ideas flowing through it.  Man I wish I could sing like that.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
Beagle
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re:"Hearts on Fire" (Modern Rock) 2011/05/29 07:26:09 (permalink)
great stuff Bob, as always!  no crits at all, just praise!  always a pleasure listening to your excellent guitar and vox!  fantastic!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
evadianepug
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4477
Re:"Hearts on Fire" (Modern Rock) 2011/05/30 15:59:38 (permalink)
Man, that's hot.  I like all of your music but this made me do the "chair wiggle", dude!  I could see this being done on a huge stage with crazy lights and dancing girls.  Well, crazy lights at least.  This is a great production.  Kudos, Bob!!

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
THE PUGTONES
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
SonarX3
No How
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5180
Re:"Hearts on Fire" (Modern Rock) 2011/05/31 10:38:57 (permalink)
I don't know how you just crank 'em out, Bob.  Nice and solid.
I agree on all the notes above about the drums and need to boost the bass a tad but overall another fine job.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
Bob Oister
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2766
Re:"Hearts on Fire" (Modern Rock) 2011/05/31 18:19:46 (permalink)
Updated Mix: 5/28

Hi, Guys!

Sorry to be away for so long, I got slammed at my work for the week before the Memorial Day holiday, and finally just got a chance to get back on here.

Anyway, I was finally able to tweak the mix a bit over the weekend, armed with all of your wonderful observations and good suggestions.

I believe I was able to detect and fix the little timing anomalies mentioned during the transitions between the verses and choruses, but please let me know if you still hear something that I might be missing.  I bumped up the bass guitar a notch, so hopefully, it's a bit easier to hear, and I did some EQ surgery to try to put some of the "oomph" back into the kick and snare. I may still need to punch that and the bass up a touch, so please let me know what you think!

I'm hoping to be able to get on the forum overnight tonight for individual thank-yous and responses to everyone's generous input and observations, but I just really wanted to say how much I truly appreciate everyone's input, advice and observations.  I find all of the great people on this forum who use their valuable time to listen and offer ideas and advice absolutely indispensable.  I'm very thankful to every single one of you, and I'm happy to be a small part of this great community of such talented, knowledgeable, generous people! 

Sincere heartfelt thanks, guys and gals,
Bob

markno999
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1450
Re:"Hearts on Fire" (Modern Rock) 2011/05/31 19:34:40 (permalink)
Bob,

Missed the original mix but this update sounds great.   Guitars sound really big, can hear the bass fine..   Couple places the drums sound like they go out of the pocket with the rest of the song (like around :48-:55)  and again later... like they are too precise or something..  Vocals are awesome, lead and background vocals.   Love it...

Regards
Bob Oister
Re:"Hearts on Fire" (Modern Rock) 2011/06/01 19:05:18 (permalink)
thepogue:

Hey, Tom,

How's it going, buddy?  Hope you had a rockin' Memorial Day weekend!

Thanks for checking in on this one for me and for your encouraging words and input.  I think in this new mix I was able to fix most of the timing issues during the transitions, but if you still hear something that I'm missing, please give me a shout so I can tweak things a little more.

I really appreciate your ideas and observations.  Oh, yeah, and your new DT song is pure dynamite, you, Tony and Preston are really knockin' 'em out of the park lately!

Have a good one!
Bob
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wookie:

Hi, John,

Thank you very much for giving this a listen and for your very kind words!  I truly appreciate you taking time to listen and comment, and value your observations and input highly.

Have a great evening, my friend!
B
ob
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Creating Noise:

Hi, Tony,

Mucho thanks, buddy, for giving this a listen and for your kind comments and observations!

You, Rik, and Tom were definitely right about the timing anomalies during the transitions.  I finally got a chance Saturday to track them down and make some adjustments. On this new mix I think I have most of them straightened out, let me know what you think.

The drums are always a huge challenge for me, because I'm not really a drummer.  So, most times I just try to keep a fairly simple beat on my Yamaha drum pads or my M-Audio KeyRig and do one track for the verses and another for the choruses.  But afterwards, when I try to separately add in a third or fourth track with the fills, transitions and cymbals, that's where everything always goes haywire for me, and I start to lose it.  Sometimes I get "immune" to what I'm hearing, but thanks to the great guys like you, with good ears on the forum, I usually get pointed in the right direction!

Hey, how's your new Ibanez 12 String going for you?  It sounded really fantastic on "Fractured Pieces", and I'm looking forward to hearing more of it soon.  Enjoy that "new gear rush", there's just nothing like that "new guitar smell"!

Thanks again for your input and help, I really appreciate it!
Bob

Bob Oister
Re:"Hearts on Fire" (Modern Rock) 2011/06/02 04:19:04 (permalink)
philz:

Hey, Phil,

How are you, buddy?  Hope you had a great Memorial Day holiday out on the island!

Thank you for checking in on this one for me, and for your great ears and keen insights.  Your observations got me thinking that I may have run my high pass filters up a bit too high on all of the rhythm tracks in the interest of sweeping away low end mud, but in the process I sucked all the punch out of the mix.  After a little EQ surgery in this new mix, hopefully I was able to get some of the "oomph" back in without flooding the bottom end.  Let me know what you think, I may still need to punch it up a bit.

I also tried to warm up the vocals a little, because unfortunately, I know exactly what I did wrong while recording them.  I usually sing about 6 inches away from the mic when recording, but when I did this song I guess my years of habitual live vocal mic technique kicked in.  When I was starting to mix what I recorded, I realized I had sung the whole song about a foot or more away from the mic.  I guess old habits die hard, because singing on stage, I was always used to moving in on the mic for quieter parts and pulling back when the powerful vocal parts kicked in.  It was truly a dumb mistake, and I didn't think it would be that noticeable until I heard it in contrast with the thick guitars.  I hope the new mix put a little depth back into the vox.

Thanks again, Phil, your ears and clear observations are always a big help to me.  Have a great night!
Bob
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

rockinrobby:

Hey, Robby,

How's it goin' bro?  Hope all is great for you!

Thanks, man, I always look forward to and appreciate your comments and input.  Your comments were 100 percent right on the money, just as I mentioned up above to Phil.  For this new mix I redid the eq for the drums and bass, and as per your suggestion, tried to warm up the vocals because of the stupid mistake I made while recording them that I mentioned above.  Let me know if you think they're back in the ballpark, or if I should "twice-bake" them like a potato again! 

Thanks, Robby, have a good one!
Bob
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

timidi:

Hi, Tim,

Thank you, sir, for giving this a listen and for your very kind words!

I took your advice and pulled the drum bus down about 2 dBs, I'm hoping that reigned them in a little bit.

Thanks again for taking time to check this out and offer your opinion and advice, I really appreciate it.

Have a great night!
Bob
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

james 1213:

Hi, James,

How are you, my friend?  Hope all is going great for you!

Thanks so much for stopping by on this song for me, and for your observations and kind words of encouragement!

This one is tuned to Drop C# minor because I was shooting for that deep "growly" rhythm tone.  As I noted to Phil up above, I think that in this new mix, I was able to put a little more thump back into the kick drum without smearing the bass and guitars.  Let me know if you think I should try to push it a little bit more.

Thanks again, James, the input and advice that I receive from you and Larry always means a great deal to me!

Have a good one!
Bob
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bob Oister
Re:"Hearts on Fire" (Modern Rock) 2011/06/02 18:32:17 (permalink)
jamesyoyo:

Hey, James,

How are you, buddy? Doing great, I hope!

Thanks very much for weighing in on this one for me, and for your kind comments and helpful input!

I think in this new mix that I was able to correct the timing issues, and as per your suggestion, I raised the bass by one and a half dBs and backed of the high pass filter a bit.  Please let me know if it's still not where you think it should be.  I'm always going a little easy on the bass because the deep guitar tones that I like take up a lot of the low mids, and I'm afraid that they'll step on each other.

Thanks again, James, I always appreciate your clear, concise and very valuable input!
Bob
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

rsp-odysseynet:

Hi, Randy,

It's really great to hear from you, buddy!  Hope you're doing well.

Thanks for giving this a listen for me, and also for your encouragement and always good advice.

You, Robby and Phil were right on the money about the kick drum being a little too close to the snare eq-wise, so hopefully the changes in this new mix helped that situation with the "oomph".  Let me know if you think I should take it a step further with a little more thump.

Thanks again, Randy, for all you very good advice and input over the past couple of years. It's guys like you that make this forum great!

Have a good one.
Bob

Bob Oister
Re:"Hearts on Fire" (Modern Rock) 2011/06/03 03:20:01 (permalink)
drumstixkev:

Hey, Kev,

It's great to hear from you, buddy!  Thanks for checking in on this one for me, and for your kind words!

I hope the kick is a little better on this new mix, I added back some of the thump that I removed and made a couple other eq adjustments to beef up the punch a bit.

Thanks for your input, I always appreciate the advice of excellent "real drummers" like yourself, because the drums are always the hardest part for me.  I always look forward to your insight and advice.

Have a great night!
Bob
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Janet:

Hi, Janet,

How are things out in the Great Midwest?  I hope you and your family had a wonderful Memorial Day weekend!

Thanks so much for giving this a listen and also your very kind comments.  I truly appreciate you checking this out for me, and I'm very happy that you enjoyed it.  

Have a great night!
Bob
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

guitartrek:

Hey, Geno,

How are you, buddy?  Doing great, I hope!

Thanks for stopping in on this one and also for your encouraging comments!  Your input really means a lot to me because of the amazing quality of your productions.  Your new song "You Can Be Free" is absolutely fantastic from start to finish!

Thanks again, Geno, I really appreciate it!
Bob
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Taylor_514C

Hi, Doug,

Thank you, sir, for the listen and your kind words!  I've always been a big Judas Priest fan and did quite a few Priest classics in my cover bands over the years, so maybe that sneaks in once in a while.

You were right on the money about the bass, I went a little crazy with my high pass filters on the first mix and sucked all of the punch out of the song.  I think the new mix eq tweaks beefed things back up again.  Let me know if you think I should bump it up another notch.

I really appreciate your input, Doug, have a great night!
Bob
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thatsastrat:

Hi, Bruce,

How are you, buddy?  Hope you're doing well!

Thanks so much for stopping by on this one and for your very kind words!  I always look forward to and greatly appreciate your input and observations.  Your very good ears were 100% correct, and I hope in this new mix that I fixed up the little timing issues that you heard, also I re-eq'd the bass guitar and kick drum, so let me know if your think it's back in the ballpark this time.

Thanks again, Bruce, for your input!
Bob
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bapu:

Hey, Ed,

What's happenin' my good friend?  I hope you're gearing up for a rockin' weekend!

Thank you, kind sir, for giving this a listen and for your input, it's always great to hear from the portal to Grzylyrg! 

Have a good one, buddy!
Bob
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

radio:

Hi, James,

Thanks, for the listen and your kind words, buddy, I really appreciate you checking it out for me!  It means a lot to me that you take the time to listen and comment.

Have a great weekend, James!
Bob
lhansen
Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4765
Re:"Hearts on Fire" (Modern Rock) 2011/06/05 16:51:50 (permalink)
Hey Bob!! You've got some nice low-end growl on those geetars for sure!! Huge sound and perfect for this tune. You've always had a great voice, but, I especially like the harmonies going on. The reverse type fx during the bridge was really well thought out. I swear Bob, every tune you put out, the production just gets better and better. Lotta TLC on this one!!

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
Bob Oister
Re:"Hearts on Fire" (Modern Rock) 2011/06/06 04:21:47 (permalink)
Philip:

Hi, Philip,

Thanks very much for giving "Hearts on Fire" a listen, and for your kind words of encouragement!  I really appreciate your and input and wonderful comments. I'm humbly thankful for your opinion, and I've very happy that you enjoyed it.

Have a great night, my friend!
Bob
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tap:

Hi, James,

How are you?  Doing well, I hope!

Thanks so much for for checking in on this one for me, and also for your kind words and good observations!  You're right about the vocals (see about my dumb mistake above), but, I'm hoping I was able to "warm" them up a bit in this new mix.

I'm very happy for the Richie Blackmore reference, because I literally grew up on the "Machine Head" and "Made in Japan" albums.

Thanks again James!

Bob
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GuitarBob:

Bobby,

Thanks very much for your first post, as always, I greatly appreciate it.  As for your second, really weird post, ehhhhhh, not so much. 

Don't know what's up, but I hope you feel better, and that things get better for you!

Sincere best wishes,
Bob
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SteveStrummerUK:

Hey Steve,

How's my good buddy doing?  Hope you had a great weekend!

Thank you, kind sir for lending your good ears to this song, and also for your very much appreciated encouragement!  You were one of the first people to welcome me to the forum when I first joined, and your generous input, advice and friendship truly means a lot to me.

By the way, I just thought that I'd mention that I was exploring a bit on your SoundClick page, and that "Ready and Chilling" was a truly a dynamite work of very classy "guitar art".  It really blew me away, with an early Santana "Abraxas" type vibe floating over a crisp modern rock sounding mix.  Really cool song, Steve, eight minutes of tasty playing and sweet tone!

It's really great to hear from you, and thanks again for your input and support!
Bob

mixmkr:

Hi, mixmkr,

Thanks for giving this a listen and for your input and kind comments!  In this new mix, I think I was able to correct the timing anomalies, and also warm up the vocals with some eq touchups.  Hopefully, it's getting closer to where it should be.

Thanks again for listening and commenting, that's what makes this forum so great!
Bob
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

vechung:

Hi, Vicente,

Thank you very much for checking this out for me and for your kind words!  I really appreciate your input.

Your new jazz instrumental, "Still in Love" is really fantastic, wonderful work, my friend!

Have a great night,
Bob
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dirtyharry53:

Hi, Harry,

Thanks for giving this a listen, and for your very nice comments!  I really appreciate you taking time to check it out, and I'm very happy that you enjoyed it.

Have a great night!
Bob
mgh
  • Total Posts : 8594
Re:"Hearts on Fire" (Modern Rock) 2011/06/06 05:36:42 (permalink)
love the new mix. perfect Bob! what a great song!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
SteveStrummerUK
  • Total Posts : 31112
Re:"Hearts on Fire" (Modern Rock) 2011/06/07 10:45:26 (permalink)
Bob Oister

SteveStrummerUK:

Hey Steve,

How's my good buddy doing?  Hope you had a great weekend!

Thank you, kind sir for lending your good ears to this song, and also for your very much appreciated encouragement!  You were one of the first people to welcome me to the forum when I first joined, and your generous input, advice and friendship truly means a lot to me. 

It's really great to hear from you, and thanks again for your input and support!
Bob

Thanks for the kind words there Bob - I always look forward to a new song from you brother.

By the way, I just thought that I'd mention that I was exploring a bit on your SoundClick page, and that "Ready and Chilling" was a truly a dynamite work of very classy "guitar art".  It really blew me away, with an early Santana "Abraxas" type vibe floating over a crisp modern rock sounding mix.  Really cool song, Steve, eight minutes of tasty playing and sweet tone!

I'm glad you liked my bit of 'improv' mate

I'd just recorded a basic backing track with a view to turning it into a full song at some stage - I just jammed that solo over it after coming back from the pub one night

Generally speaking, I'm pretty useless at pre-planning solos so for most tunes I just loop the solo backing part and record over and over until I play something I like! And as I don't play live, I have the luxury of only having to get it right once, and even then, I don't have to learn it.

My other main problem (as you can see from a lot of the stuff on my SC site) is I rarely finish anything!

Catch you soon Bob, take care buddy

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Bob Oister
Re:"Hearts on Fire" (Modern Rock) 2011/06/11 18:39:54 (permalink)
mgh:

Hi, Mark,

How are you, buddy?  Hope you're having a rockin' weekend!

Thank you so much for your very kind words, and also for re-checking the second mix and letting me know what you think!

I always look forward to and really appreciate our input, because of both your metal prowess, and your always excellent level of production on your own music.  Your Plan Red and Dies Irae SoundClick pages were actually part of the reason that I joined SoundClick and also this forum three years ago.  I think that you also had a standalone website for Plan Red back then.  I'd swear that I bookmarked it in one of my laptops, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, thanks again for all of your input and observations that you so graciously provided in the past.  It's guys like you that make this forum such a great place.

Have a great weekend, buddy!
Bob
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dlogan:

Hey, Dave,

How's it going, buddy?  Thanks for checking in on this song for me, and for your kind words and input!

Yeah, good ol' Bobby's second comment above was kind of like a puzzle, wrapped up in a riddle, rolled up in an enigma! I really have no idea what that was all about, or what any of it had to do with me.

You were right on the money about the thinness of the vocal track, I mistakenly sang the whole thing from almost two feet away from the mic, instead of the usual 6 to 8 inches. I think I was able use some eq to warm it back up a little for this new mix. Please let me know if you think I should take it up another notch, or if sounds better now.

Thanks again, Dave I really appreciate your input. Have a good one!
Bob
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ohgrant:

Hi, Grant,

How are you, my friend?  Doing great, I hope!

Thanks so much for checking in on this one for me, and also for your very encouraging comments!

As per your suggestion, I bumped up the bass around two dBs for this new mix, hopefully, you're able to hear it a bit better now.  Because of the deeper guitar tone that I like for my rhythm guitars, and that I usually use my 5-string bass, I'm always a little paranoid about the bass guitar levels smearing the bottom end of the mix and causing overall "boominess", so I think I have a habitual bad habit of not pushing the bass through enough in my mixes.  That's another great reason that I appreciate your comments and input, as well as all of our fellow forumites.  After reading the forum comments, I can usually get a pretty good consensus of what most people are hearing, or in his case, not hearing enough of.

Thanks again for your input and good advice, have a great weekend!
Bob
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

notnat:

Hi, Frank,

Thanks a lot, buddy, I really appreciate you giving this a listen, and also your encouraging comments!  All of your work is always top-notch, so your input means a great deal to me.

Have a great weekend!
Bob
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LpMike:

Hey, Mike,

How are you? It's really great to see you around the forum!

Thanks for checking this song out for me, and also for your kind comments and good advice.  I think for this new mix, that I was able to track down and fix the little timing anomalies that you were hearing in the drum track.  Please let me know if you think that I missed any spots.

I really appreciate you giving this a listen and letting me know what you think.  It means a lot to me.

Have a good one, Mike!
Bob

marcos69:

Hey, Mark,

How's it going, buddy?  Hope your back is completely back to normal after recuperating from your surgery!

Thanks you for giving this a listen, and for your very kind words!  I always greatly appreciate your input and observations, and I look forward to all of your fantastic guitar instrumentals.  You don't even need a singer for your songs when you have the amazing guitar chops that you feature in your stuff!

Thanks again, Mark, have a great weekend!
Bob
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beagle:

Hey, Reece,

Thanks so much for stopping by on this one, and for your very encouraging, kind words!

You were among the first few wonderful people to welcome me to the forum when I first joined, and I truly appreciate your input, friendship and kindness, and thank you sincerely for all of your great advice.  Your the kind of person that makes this place feel more like a community and a family, and not just an Internet forum, and I think that we all appreciate that very much.

By the way, the song collaboration "A Mighty Fortress" that you did with Philip and Cliff was both absolutely unique and fantastic, really well done, Reece!

Have a great weekend, buddy!
Bob

chasmcg
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 642
Re:"Hearts on Fire" (Modern Rock) 2011/06/11 18:47:41 (permalink)
Sounds great. Everything. Great production.
Bob Oister
Re:"Hearts on Fire" (Modern Rock) 2011/06/12 19:44:41 (permalink)
evadianepug:

Hi, Warren,

Thanks, buddy, for giving this song a listen for me, and for your very encouraging comments!

I always look forward to and greatly appreciate your insights and observations.  You've always been one of the most helpful and nicest guys on this forum, and I'm always very happy for your support.

Have a great day, Warren!
Bob
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No How:

Hey, Rick,

How are you, my friend?  Enjoying your weekend, I hope!  Thanks so much for checking this one out for me, and for your kind words!

Yes, because I have a very limited amount of time that I can actually work on music, usually a few hours a week between 2 and 5 a.m., I've been trying to switch up my recording process to work faster and be more productive.

I'm finding out that by using fairly decent custom track and project templates, and spending a bit more time on getting the arranging and tracking part as close as possible to what I'm hearing in my head, and then doing a super quick fifteen or twenty minute mix, I seem to be getting much more accomplished.  Then, after getting some input from our wonderful forum friends, I can just do a few mix tweaks to get things pretty close to finished.  I know it's not perfect by any means, but for me, It sure beats mixing and remixing one song over and over for weeks and months on end.

I think JamesYoYo on one of his song posts, quoted Yep as saying, "Finished is always better than perfect", so, I'm making that my new motto moving forward from here!  At least this way I feel like I can produce something half decent in just two or three hours, which makes me feel better about the last couple years that I spent trying to learn all of this stuff.

Anyway, thanks again , Rick, I really appreciate your input and comments.  Have a great day!
Bob
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

markno999:

Hey, thank your very much for checking in on this song for me, and also for your kind words and very good input.

I really appreciate your specific observations on the timing issues.  Because the drums are always the hardest part for me, sometimes I think after so many listens, that I get "immune" to what I'm hearing and miss a few little details in spots.  Thanks for spotting them and pointing them out.

Hey, I also just want to say that the Badfinger cover of "No Matter What" on your SoundClick page, is absolutely SPECTACULAR!!!  I mean, I'm truly flabbergasted!  Both all of the music, and all of the vocals and harmonies are amazing.  It's one of the best, true to the original covers I've heard, and your performances, vocals and mix are outstanding.  Fantastic work, my friend!

Anyway, thanks again for your input and comments, it means a great deal to me.  Have a good one!
Bob

mcourter
Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3442
Re:"Hearts on Fire" (Modern Rock) 2011/06/16 12:29:18 (permalink)
Holy toledo, Bob! I would kill (figuratively speaking) to get your guitar tone. Fantastic, especially the lead guitar. Vox sound great with the harmony. Drums and bass sound good, and a well balanced clean mix. There is simply nothing negative to say about this one. Excellent work!

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
Unbridled Enthusiasm
 My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
Bob Oister
Re:"Hearts on Fire" (Modern Rock) 2011/06/17 04:38:31 (permalink)
lhansen:

Hi, Larry,

How are you, buddy?  Hope you're doing great!

Thanks very much for checking in on this one for me, and also for your encouraging words!  I really appreciate your comments, because of all of the generous help and advice that you and James have provided me in the past, and also because everything that you and James produce is always top notch!

Thanks again for all of your input and friendship, it truly means a lot to me, Larry.  Have a great day!
Bob
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mgh:

Hey, Mark,

Thank you very much for coming back for seconds on this one, to check out the remix!

I really appreciate your time, and valuable observations and kind comments.  I always look forward to your input, and also your new songs.  You always do amazing work, and have a fantastic ability to bounce between a wide variety of difficult genres, and making them all sound great.

Thanks again, Mark, have a great day!
Bob

SteveStrummerUK:

quote: "I just jammed that solo over it after coming back from the pub one night"

Well, Steve, old buddy, I'll have what you're drinking, because that was some tasty, smokin' lead work you did on "Ready and Chilling"! 

You know, I'm also the same way.  I never pre-plan a guitar solo, I just hit the record button, let 'er rip, and then see if I like what I hear.  I think the spontaneity allows more raw emotion to flow during the creative process, and adds true "character" to the overall feel of a song.

Anyway, thanks again, Steve, for coming back to check out the remix.  I really appreciate and value your input and friendship.

Have a good one!
Bob
geeare1
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1906
Re:"Hearts on Fire" (Modern Rock) 2011/06/17 16:48:25 (permalink)
Hi Bob,

Wow, killer guitar sound!

Great song and production. Outstanding vocal!

Pro sounding mix. Great job.

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
darylcrowley
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2700
Re:"Hearts on Fire" (Modern Rock) 2011/06/17 18:39:47 (permalink)
Bob - You've really added a lot of polish to your stuff over the past year.  Vocals are up a notch too. 

What's your setup?  I assume you're going DI or else the neighbors are calling the cops.  A really loud powerful sound.

Nice work.

Daryl

Daryl Crowley
Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
Windows 7 64bit Professional
Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
http://www.darylcrowley.com/
Bob Oister
Re:"Hearts on Fire" (Modern Rock) 2011/06/21 06:00:46 (permalink)
chasmcg:

Hey, Chas,

Thank you, sir, for giving this a listen, and also for your very kind comments!  I really appreciate your time and your input.

By the way you did a fantastic job on your song post of "Years & Years Ago", that's really a great song, very nice work!

Have a good one!
Bob
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mcourter:

Hey, Mark,

How's it going out on the West Coast, buddy?  Hope you're doing great!

Thanks very much for checking in on this one for me, and also for your encouraging words!

I really appreciate you giving this song a listen and commenting.  It's always great to hear from you, especially because you're one of my good old Line6 buddies, from the old, "original" Line6 forums.  That was the first online forum that I ever joined, and I was really nervous about posting my first ever DAW recorded song there, and you hopped right in to welcome me aboard.  I'll always remember that!

Thanks again, Mark, I'm always thankful to hear your opinions and ideas.  Have a good one, buddy!
Bob
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

geeare1:

Hi, Gary,

Thanks, man, I really appreciate you giving this one a listen for me, and also your encouraging words!

I'm very thankful for your input and observations, it really means a lot to me.

Thanks again, and h
ave a good one, Gary!
Bob
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

darylcrowley:

Hey Daryl,

How are you buddy? Doing great, I hope!

Thanks so much for stopping by on this to give this a listen, and also for your kind words!

You're one hundred percent right about going DI.  Because usually I can only record between 2am and 5am, I'd definitely be taken out in handcuffs, (or quite possibly murdered by my wife! ) if I tried to use my stage amps.  So, I'm still going through my good old Line6 Toneport UX2 and into POD Farm for just about everything.

I think the major difference for my past few songs is that I've decided to try using a "minimalistic" approach to recording and mixing my newer stuff.  When I first started working with and learning Sonar, after switching from reel to reel tape, I went hog wild with the unlimited track capability.  Most of my older songs, up until about a year ago, usually had between twenty-five and forty tracks, (lots of cloning and doubling) just because they were available.  I remember one of the guys in the Techniques forum, quoting a famous producer or mix engineer from a book, saying, "When everything in a mix is big, everything in the song becomes small".  It really struck me as being that simple, and something clicked.  Since then, all of my new songs usually have only between nine and twelve tracks, which gives me a lot of new breathing room when I'm done tracking and it's time to mix.

And, as I mentioned in a couple previous posts in this thread, because I can usually only record a few hours every other week or so, I try to really utilize the time to the fullest by using custom project templates and trying to get the tracking recorded quickly, and as close as I can to how the song idea sounds in my head.  Then I just give it a fast ten or twenty minute mix and post it here to get the helpful opinions and observations of all of our fantastic forum members, so I can tweak things a little bit after getting the forum's input and advice.

I truly appreciate every comment, good, bad, encouraging or ugly, that anyone here makes on my songs, because to me, everyone's opinion helps me decide on what has to be done to improve the song or the mix.  I'm still working at learning this stuff, and I'm really thankful for all of the generous advice from everybody here.

Thanks again Daryl, I really appreciate your input, have a great week!
Bob

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1