"Heaven And Back" - warning: contains me singing!

Author
Purple Rhapsody
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 469
2011/02/13 11:31:46 (permalink)

"Heaven And Back" - warning: contains me singing!

Hi,

About 20 years ago I wrote songs... they were never really any good but in the interests of full disclosure I let Sara, my wife, hear them. Even though she has good taste in music she thought they had potential... and in a really really stupid moment a few weeks ago I said I'd re-record one for her for Valentines Day.

So... it's Valentines Day tomorrow and here it is. She's already heard it and she's over the moon with it so my mission has been accomplished.

Why am I now posting it here, I hear you ask...? Well, it's the first song I've recorded in about 20 years and I'd like some honest feedback so that if I'm ever overcome by a similar stupidity in the future I can do a better job next time!

http://soundcloud.com/purplerhapsody/heaven-and-back

Thanks in advance,
Terry.

Purple Rhapsody - emotions without words http://purplerhapsody.co.uk/

9 Replies Related Threads

rockinrobby
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:"Heaven And Back" - warning: contains me singing! 2011/02/13 11:49:44 (permalink)
    That bass feels like it's fighting with the kick. I may roll it off with a HP if it doesn't already have one. The snare needs to come up and be tighter. and the lead guitar (back off the verb on the lead a bit). There's a lot going on in general here, multiple guitars, pads, piano, and with the vocals, it seems to all get muddled? I would use some channel tools, to move things more tightly, i.e., take similar freqs and pan one < LC, and his cousin > RC, take the ones that are more centered and widen them to leave room for the bass, kick, and LV down the pipe... I think it's a good song, but the mix needs work.

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
    Purple Rhapsody
    Re:"Heaven And Back" - warning: contains me singing! 2011/02/13 11:55:17 (permalink)
    Thanks rockinrobby - I hear these things in other people's songs but never hear them in mine... probably because I'm not used to mixing songs.

I'll bear all that in mind when I get back to the mix.

Cheers,
    Terry.

rockinrobby
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:"Heaven And Back" - warning: contains me singing! 2011/02/13 12:05:28 (permalink)
    Yeah, get feed back from the gurus :-) I'm still trying to learn this stuff Terry :-) I did like the song. It gave me like a British pop-rock vibe. 6 mins though :-/  It comes in just over 5 without the intro which is still pushing it. Not that there's a formula or anything :-) But I always think in terms of the radio, and that's 3 to 4 mins right there.

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
    BIABDude
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 676
    Re:"Heaven And Back" - warning: contains me singing! 2011/02/13 12:24:18 (permalink)
    song + + + 1
    suggestions - - - vocals are to wet and need to come forward in the mix a hair
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:"Heaven And Back" - warning: contains me singing! 2011/02/13 12:59:20 (permalink)
    It is all a bit to muddled as suggested use EQ to open spaces for the different voices even if they sound odd when soloed.  Channel tools is a wonderful tool for positioning sounds in the sound field.  Then use reverb to help drop everything to sound like it is playing in the same space.

Thanks for sharing.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    Janet
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:"Heaven And Back" - warning: contains me singing! 2011/02/13 14:58:10 (permalink)
    I LOVE that intro!  Make a whole song out of it too.  :-)

But when the guitars kick in...that's awesome!  This is a great song--I love your playing, the tune and the lyrics.  Great use of harmonies.  You've got a good voice, too.  Maybe you're not used to singing, but you've definitely got a good voice.  Don't pull this down.  It's a keeper.  Yeah, maybe the mix needs help (don't ask me!), but it's worth working on. 

Mixing is another reason to love piano solos, eh?  :-)
    mgh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:"Heaven And Back" - warning: contains me singing! 2011/02/14 08:40:41 (permalink)
    intro is superb. singing is fine, dude! track reminds me of Elton John or Billy Joel - i'd personally get the piano a lot more upfront. a bit much reverb on everything - it sounds like it's being played round the back of the stage of the venue next door! excellent tune though, a bit more work on the mix will certainly be worth it!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Purple Rhapsody
    Re:"Heaven And Back" - warning: contains me singing! 2011/02/15 08:34:17 (permalink)
    Hi,

Thanks everyone for taking the time to listen and comment.

@BIABDude - thanks for the +++1! 

@Wookiee - I'll give that a go. Would you suggest routing all tracks through one 'Send' reverb to make them sound as though they're in the same space?

@Janet - I thought you might like the intro! thanks for your positive comments... and yes, solo piano is so much easier to mix - but I find that even a full orchestra is easier to mix than a pop/rock song!

@mgh - thanks for the positive comments. I'm surprised that it reminds you of Elton John or Billy Joel because I don't regularly listen to them (although I think I do own a Billy Joel album it's at the back of a cupboard somewhere). 

I was planning to just leave the track as it is and utilise all your suggestions the next time I do a song but I think that because you're all so positive about the song itself I'll go back and work on the mix!

Thanks!

Cheers,
    Terry.

giankap
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 387
    Re:"Heaven And Back" - warning: contains me singing! 2011/02/15 11:22:38 (permalink)
    it's a nice song but i don't thin you spent a lot of time mixing it (also I've come to realize that soundcloud does change the sound[i'm a soundcloud user]).

i'd use a side chain gate or compressor to link the bass and the bass drum. imo the bass gets to much in the way when the kick hits and with a side chain you could duck the bass 3-4db when the kick hits.

p.s there's nothing wrong with your voice or singing

sincerely,

Ioannis

Windows - some Dual Core CPU - a little bit of RAM - not so bad soundcard - i think it's called Sonar - a silver mixer with colorful knobs - black speaker monitors - my ears

some work
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1