"Made of Glass" (Power Rock) ***Mix #3 Up 12/12/11

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Bob Oister
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2766
2011/11/22 03:45:03 (permalink)

"Made of Glass" (Power Rock) ***Mix #3 Up 12/12/11

NOTE: Mix #3 Up 12/12/11 - tightened up the EQ on all of the buses to try to acheive more instrument separation, and a few individual channel tweaks.

Thanks so much to everybody who listened and commented, you guys and gals are the best!
Bob
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Made of Glass"

128kbps MP3 on SoundClick at: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11236534

or...

Better Quality MP3, First Song on the Player at: www.BobOister.com 

Thanks very much in advance for your opinions, suggestions and comments!
Bob

post edited by Bob Oister - 2011/12/12 21:28:04

70 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:"Made of Glass" (Power Rock) 2011/11/22 08:10:09 (permalink)
    Man, I always enjoy hearing your work. 

nice fat rock & roll. 

Where the singing comes in, there seemed to be a bit of a sync issue with one of the guitars.... for a brief section, it seemed out of sync, then it righted itself. 

This sounds amazing on my tiny computer speakers. I'll check it out later tonight on the lappy with cans/buds. 

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:"Made of Glass" (Power Rock) 2011/11/22 08:35:22 (permalink)
    only listening on the laptop so this may or may not be right! Great guitar tones as ever. Vocals are also cool. Agree with Herb when the verse comes in it is a little clumsy; indeed all the segues are a bit jerky/unsmooth - very nice though it is to hear tempi changes! Drums are maybe a touch loud throughout (though again, this is just the lappy!) Solo is great as we expect!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:"Made of Glass" (Power Rock) 2011/11/22 09:27:11 (permalink)
    Another great tune, Bob!  The only crit I would have (remember, I'm a bass player) is that the bass isn't kickin' in my stomach.  I'm on Sennheiser HD280Pro headphones and they usually let the bass pound when it's there.  However, my ears are old and the phones are fairly new.  LOL!  Love the leads!   Your tunes always rock.  I always like the vocal treatment.  Keep rockin' BobbyO!

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    morenoise
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:"Made of Glass" (Power Rock) 2011/11/22 11:48:17 (permalink)
    Hi Bob, excellent tune, great intro and great idea to change the tempo in the (pre)chorus. That's some mighty fine guitarplaying and shredding ; ).Vocals are great b ut maybe not quite in sync with the rhythm in places. At about 2:20 there's a bit of a hiccup in the tempo change. With a few small tweaks you've got a winner here ; )

Rik
    Bob Oister
    Re:"Made of Glass" (Power Rock) 2011/11/22 17:59:09 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker:

Hey, Herb,

Thanks, buddy, I appreciate you checking in on this and also your kind words!  Later tonight or tomorrow, I'll try to pinpoint the timing issues that you noticed.   LOL, I usually work in the studio between 3 and 5 a.m., so I'm pretty much in half a coma when I'm doing this stuff, thanks for picking up on it for me.  Please let me know if you notice anything else when you check it on your other system,

By the way, your newly posted romantic ballad, "Just to Love you More" was really excellent, great songwriting and performance.

Thanks again, Herb, I value your input highly!
    Bob
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mgh:

Hey, Mark,

How are you, brother?  Doing great, I hope!

Thanks for giving this a listen, and for your good input and kind words!  As I mentioned to Herb above, unfortunately, I was half asleep while I was working on this one, and appreciate your observations on the timing bloops.  Hopefully, I'll have it tightened up over the next 24 to 48 hours.

Thanks again, Mark, for all of your input and support, greatly appreciated, my friend!
    Bob
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    Re:"Made of Glass" (Power Rock) 2011/11/23 14:15:53 (permalink)

Whoa!

Man that's good Bob

I love the changes of tempo in this, they work really well.

Everything sounds so gloriously powerful, and what a killer solo - the real icing on the cake.

Wonderful stuff my friend

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    Re:"Made of Glass" (Power Rock) 2011/11/23 15:30:02 (permalink)
    Great songwriting and arrangement! Love them big drums. Nice job on the vocals too and the harmonies really hit the mark. Oh and of course the guitar is great as always - especially the solo.

+1 to the timing issue Herb mentioned. Not sure if something got knocked out of place or just took a few seconds for the groove to set in.
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:"Made of Glass" (Power Rock) 2011/11/23 15:51:41 (permalink)
    Other than the kick, the best thing I have ever heard from you.
    Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    Re:"Made of Glass" (Power Rock) 2011/11/23 20:11:01 (permalink)
    Great stuff Bob! Echoing the timing issue. Are those blue steel bass strings? I've always like the roto sound swing bass strings myself. I could never get into that twangyness.

You on drums or synth?

Excellent track and great writing!

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    Scoobie
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 263
    Re:"Made of Glass" (Power Rock) 2011/11/23 23:19:28 (permalink)
    Power Rock thats for sure...........Nice guitar tone.  I agree with Herb, Fat !

I disagree with James,  I like the kick.   Maybe just alittle loud,   But  
    that kick is this Genre, IMO  

Cool song....................  Tim 

Outback Remote Recording,  16 or 24 track mobile rig.
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:"Made of Glass" (Power Rock) 2011/11/24 03:42:51 (permalink)
    Wow, excellent track Bob! You've gone for a big production here, and pulled it off in style. Love that intro, got a little hint of 'Faith Healer' in the chord changes. Fab solo.. Kudos on programming all those changes in tempo, that's tricky stuff.

One of your best for sure Bob, love it.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    radio
    • Total Posts : 2782
    Re:"Made of Glass" (Power Rock) 2011/11/24 04:53:44 (permalink)

Wow Bob you really threw a curve ball at me with this tune ! Very cool Bob this one is another winner for sure , hell all your songs are winners but this one shines the brightest of them all WOW !

Rockon Bob ! Radio

bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:"Made of Glass" (Power Rock) 2011/11/24 15:17:23 (permalink)
    Bob,

Like Paula said to that little rapper on X-Factor:

"Can't you just suck once?"

Superb job Bob.

Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:"Made of Glass" (Power Rock) 2011/11/26 04:57:14 (permalink)
    An awesome tribute of love's greatness vs. love's apocalypse.

Vocals and guitars are spot-on awesome!

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:"Made of Glass" (Power Rock) 2011/11/26 06:06:31 (permalink)
    Hi Bob

A nice and hefty intro turns into something really unexpected.  The vocal harmonies are completely mind-bogglingly good, and the Oister guitar-land it's all built on is all the usual top drawer action.

Just a couple of nits to pick from me the cymbal crashes transitioning between the intro and the start of the song at 1.05 are sounding weak and there's that little bit of out of sync timing going on until 1.15.  The transitioning between the tempo changes throughout could do with a little bit of TLC.

But this tune is well worked out and brilliantly executed other than those tiny details.

This is a five star chunk of Oister for sure!

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:"Made of Glass" (Power Rock) 2011/11/26 06:37:03 (permalink)
    Hot track, Bob! I love the change-ups in it but I have to agree with Jon that they could use a little finessing. I am listening with ear buds and it seems to be a little right side heavy, but it could be my ears. The vocals and guitars are amazing. It's like listening to Dokken.

String Jammer
    Bob Oister
    Re:"Made of Glass" (Power Rock) 2011/11/26 18:04:39 (permalink)
    evadianepug:

Hey, Warren,

How are you, buddy?  Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

Thanks for your good input and kind words on this!  I'll will definitely be rechecking the bass level and eq when I can get back into the studio tomorrow or Monday.  Because of my deeper sounding guitar tones and the 5 string bass, I sometimes tend to go too conservatively on the bass trying to avoid conflicts with the low end.  So, I usually do end up bumping up the bass a little bit after first posting here.  You're a dynamite bass player and producer, so I'll surely take your word for it, and look into it, Warren!

I really appreciate your observations and words of encouragement, have a great weekend!
    Bob
    -------------------------------------------------------

morenoise:

Hi, Rik,

Thank you for giving this a listen, and for your very nice comments and input!

I'm hoping to be able to finally get back into the studio in the next few days to try to hunt down and tweak the little timing issues that you and a few others have mentioned.  I'll be sure to check out the section around 2:20 as you mentioned.

Thanks again, Rik, I always look forward to and greatly appreciate your input and observations.  Have a great weekend!
    Bob
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:"Made of Glass" (Power Rock) 2011/11/26 19:02:27 (permalink)
    Three days?  Wow!  Great power rock and great performances.  Harmonies very well done.  Cool change-ups too.

Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!
    Bob Oister
    Re:"Made of Glass" (Power Rock) 2011/11/27 05:05:27 (permalink)
    SteveStrummerUK:

Hi, Steve,

Thanks, buddy, I really appreciate you giving this a listen, and your very kind words!

This song was a little bit different for me, and I usually try to restrain myself for solos, but I decided to just let 'er rip going for a one shot, sort of raw, Steve Stevens style solo on this one, and it just felt right to me the first time, so I left it in.

Many thanks again for all of your input and support, have a great weekend, my friend!
    Bob
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dlogan:

Hey, Dave,

How's it going?  It's really great to see you back around on the forum!

Thanks so much for checking in on this one for me, and also for the very kind comments!  I'm hoping to get a chance to iron out the slight timing issue that you and Herb mentioned over the next day or two.

Thanks again for your input, Dave, I truly appreciate your observations and comments!
    Bob
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bandontherun19
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 824
    Re:"Made of Glass" (Power Rock) 2011/11/27 09:54:25 (permalink)
    Love is made of glass (in the beginning?) and in the end, it looks like something that came out of something that rhymes with glass... I enjoyed the guitar.

All you need is love, just ask the Beatles?
    ----------
    Bob Oister
    Re:"Made of Glass" (Power Rock) 2011/11/27 16:31:35 (permalink)
    jamesyoyo:

Hey, James,

How are you?  Hope you had a great Thanksgiving weekend!

Thanks so much for giving this a listen and your very encouraging comment!  It really means a lot to me, coming from a great producer like you.

As for the kick drum, what is it that you're not liking, the volume, the actual drum sound, the eq, or possibly the part itself?  I usually like an "in your face" punchy drum track, so I'm assuming it's probably a volume or eq situation.

Thanks again, James, I always look forward to and appreciate your good input and advice.  I always learn something, and it helps me improve my mixing.  Have a good one, buddy!
    Bob
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guitarpima:

Hey, Robert,

Thanks for checking this one out, and for your very kind words!

LOL, believe it or not, I'm ashamed to say they're the factory installed bass strings direct from the Fender factory five or six years ago.  I'm assuming they're Fender Super Bass 8250 5M taper wounds.  My poor basses only come out of the case to see the light of day when I'm recording, for five or ten minutes at a time, every three or four weeks, so the strings are actually still like brand new.  Thanks for the tip though, maybe I'll try a set of Roto Sounds when I change them, one of my cover band bass players always swore by them.

Thanks again for giving this a listen and your input, I truly appreciate it!
    Bob
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bob Oister
    Re:"Made of Glass" (Power Rock) 2011/11/27 20:51:36 (permalink)
    Scoobie:

Hey, Tim,

How are you, buddy?  Hope you had a great Thanksgiving weekend!

Thanks for checking in on this one for me, and for your encouraging comments!  Yep, I like some real "thump" in the kick for this type of music, like you mentioned.  Although, sometimes I do get a little carried away with the volume level of the kick with the bass guitar, and often trying to keep them from overlapping makes one or the other dominate the low end.  I'll try dropping the kick a little, as you suggested when I get back on this over the next day or two.

Thanks again, Tim, greatly appreciate your feedback, have a good one!
    Bob
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

james1213:

Hi, James,

How are you, my friend?  Doing great, I hope!

Thank you so much for giving this a listen for me, and also for your observations and very kind words!  Who recorded Faith Healer?  I'm not familiar with that one, I'll have to Google it and check it out.

Thanks again for all of your generous and helpful input, advice and support over the last few years,  I greatly appreciate your friendship!
    Bob
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    Re:"Made of Glass" (Power Rock) 2011/11/27 22:24:43 (permalink)
    Most of my crits have been covered by others... so I'll just say that kicks asss!!!

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:"Made of Glass" (Power Rock) 2011/11/27 22:43:57 (permalink)
    Sounds great.  I love the guitar tones and the bass tone.  Are you playing a bass through a pod or something?  Sounds excellent.  Great heavy guitar and the vocals have your signature cool vocal processing.
    Bob Oister
    Re:"Made of Glass" (Power Rock) 2011/11/28 04:20:21 (permalink)
    radio:

Hi, James,

How are you, buddy?  I hope you're recovering well from your surgery!

Thank you very much for giving this song a listen, and also for your very kind words of encouragement.  I'm really happy that you liked it, and I greatly appreciate your input.

Get well soon, James!
    Bob
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bapu:

Hey, Ed,

How are things, buddy?  Hope you had a very enjoyable Thanksgiving weekend!

Thank you, sir, for checking in on this one for me, and for your kind words!  Yeah, that good old Paula, she reminds me of the Panama Canal, because she's seems like quite a "busy ditch". 

Thanks again, Ed, I always look forward to and appreciate your input and observations, and value your opinion highly!

Have a great week, bro!
    Bob
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Venus
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 496
    Re:"Made of Glass" (Power Rock) 2011/11/28 10:19:31 (permalink)
    I like it all...the anticipation of the intro, the vox fx when the verse starts, and the follow thru. Sweet!

Yes, I'm back ...with minions. Luv, D

Collabs are here:
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=1208769 
    Past solo recordings (my mixes) are here:
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=918473 
    The future is on YouTube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMZqTJNpfZuGy7k62nVJ4eA

Bob Oister
    Re:"Made of Glass" (Power Rock) 2011/11/29 05:01:10 (permalink)
    Philip:

Hi, Philip,

How are you doing, my friend?  I pray that you're getting along okay and keeping the faith after your recent devastating loss.

Heartfelt thanks for taking the time to check in on this song for me, and also your very kind words!  I always look forward to and greatly appreciate your input, observations and support on my music, and your deep faith, strength and ability to soldier on, is truly an inspiration to us all.

Thanks again, Philip, and my best wishes, thoughts and prayers to you and your family!
    Bob
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jonbuoy:

Hi, Jon,

How are you, brother?  Doing very well, I hope.  It's really great to see you upstairs, my friend!

Thank you very much for checking in on this one for me, and for your good observations and kind words of encouragement!

I finally just now got a chance to get back in to try to touch this one up, and I'm bumping up the velocity of the cymbal crashes that you spotted for me as we speak.  I truly appreciate that type of detailed, specific information coming from a lifelong excellent drummer such as yourself!  I really think that there's magic hidden in those little details, that a non-drummer like me can't seem to pick up on, and every small tip on my drum tracks really helps me learn how to improve the process for future songs.

By the way, fantastic job on your new song post "Photograph of You", it's truly an amazing production.  Also, sincere congratulations on your terrific results improving your health situation, it's both great news and very inspirational!

Thanks again, Jon, it's really wonderful to hear from you, and I value your input, advice and friendship greatly! 

Best wishes,
    Bob
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re:"Made of Glass" (Power Rock) 2011/11/29 09:48:58 (permalink)
    Hi Bob

great song, plenty of changes to keep interest. Sounded great as well and the solo was just right too. Only thing that I didn't like much was the ending, it just doesn't seem to fit right. But that's just me. You've got some great stuff on your site BTW.
    Starise
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7563
    Re:"Made of Glass" (Power Rock) 2011/11/29 10:21:59 (permalink)
      As always, I like your music and you didn't disappoint this time either.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
    3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
    Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
     CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1