"Night of Lights" Instrumental AC jazz guitar

Author
vechung
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 818
2010/11/14 18:38:23 (permalink)

"Night of Lights" Instrumental AC jazz guitar

Hi All

I have this new piece.  Let me know what you think.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=9875053&q=hi&newref=1

Thanks

17 Replies Related Threads

rhynosynth
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 520
    Re:"Night of Lights" Instrumental AC jazz guitar 2010/11/14 21:08:00 (permalink)
    This is really nice. Not a fan of the drum track. I do like the tone of the guitar. It reminded me of Craig Chaquico's album "Acoustic Planet" at times. I like the playing after the change at 1:40. Great work. 
    radio
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2782
    Re:"Night of Lights" Instrumental AC jazz guitar 2010/11/14 22:17:13 (permalink)
    rhynosynth

This is really nice. Not a fan of the drum track. I do like the tone of the guitar. It reminded me of Craig Chaquico's album "Acoustic Planet" at times. I like the playing after the change at 1:40. Great work. 

I like where this was going it sounded great and the sound of the guitar sounded great but I hear alot of off notes being played .
    Your going in the right direction playing your guitar but what I'm hearing you need to focus on your playing of the guitar some more and hone in on your skills .
    With this type of music if your playing is off just alittle bit it sticks out like a sore thumb ,  it did for me . Don't take it as being bad thing I can tell you have the skills to make this tune really shine you need to work with it some more.

Hope I wasn't too affensive pointing some of the things in the song I noticed as being off in the way it was played , I did like the song .

post edited by radio - 2010/11/14 22:18:26

vechung
    Re:"Night of Lights" Instrumental AC jazz guitar 2010/11/15 09:41:26 (permalink)
    radio

rhynosynth

I like where this was going it sounded great and the sound of the guitar sounded great but I hear alot of off notes being played .
    Your going in the right direction playing your guitar but what I'm hearing you need to focus on your playing of the guitar some more and hone in on your skills .
    With this type of music if your playing is off just alittle bit it sticks out like a sore thumb ,  it did for me . Don't take it as being bad thing I can tell you have the skills to make this tune really shine you need to work with it some more.

Hope I wasn't too affensive pointing some of the things in the song I noticed as being off in the way it was played , I did like the song .

Hi Radio.  Thanks so much for the comments!  It is one of these things, I can play these runs perfectly when I am practicing or just jamming, but when it comes time to record, I seem to tighten up and I can't get them right.  What do performers do to psych themselves up?

Another option will be to split the recording over the difficult parts and not try to get the entire song in one shot.
    radio
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2782
    Re:"Night of Lights" Instrumental AC jazz guitar 2010/11/15 10:18:07 (permalink)
    vechung

radio

rhynosynth

Hi Radio.  Thanks so much for the comments!  It is one of these things, I can play these runs perfectly when I am practicing or just jamming, but when it comes time to record, I seem to tighten up and I can't get them right.  What do performers do to psych themselves up?

Another option will be to split the recording over the difficult parts and not try to get the entire song in one shot.

I have been there many times myself , good luck with it its a nice song you created .
    Radio

darylcrowley
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2700
    Re:"Night of Lights" Instrumental AC jazz guitar 2010/11/15 11:33:23 (permalink)
    Very nice C-jazz piece.  Love the vibe.  Nice guitar work.  Some real good chops here.  Very melodic piece.   Maybe a few small timing issues but over all a very nice piece.  Reminds me a little of Steve Oliver.

I agree the drum track needs to be tweaked.  But take heart, everyone rips on all my drum tracks   But that's OK, because I need to hear it.
    post edited by darylcrowley - 2010/11/15 11:34:41

Daryl Crowley
    Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
    Windows 7 64bit Professional
    Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
    http://www.darylcrowley.com/
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:"Night of Lights" Instrumental AC jazz guitar 2010/11/15 15:23:29 (permalink)
    Nice guitar playing!  

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    paulo
    Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6218
    Re:"Night of Lights" Instrumental AC jazz guitar 2010/11/15 17:47:05 (permalink)
    Love the guitar guitar tone and the playing is excellent and very melodic. I'm afraid I'm not a fan of the drum track either though. It kind of sounds like something you put on in the background to help you keep time rather than something created specifically for the piece.

Enjoyable listen overall though. I look forward to hearing some more of your work. I see you are a new member, so I'll also add my usual disclaimer that my opinions are just those of a listener. I don't claim to be any kind of expert.
    blipp
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7006
    Re:"Night of Lights" Instrumental AC jazz guitar 2010/11/15 18:35:17 (permalink)
    Very nice.

Great gutar playing and tones, but as other's have mentioned, timing issues at times with the guitar. 

I know what you mean about making mistakes when you come to actually record it.  I'm no where near as good as you, but when i record guitar i have to make lots of takes to get even simple parts correct.

Not a great fan of the drum track either i'm afraid.

Overall a nice listen.

post edited by blipp - 2010/11/15 18:37:10
    Slow Marching Band
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1603
    Re:"Night of Lights" Instrumental AC jazz guitar 2010/11/16 15:11:07 (permalink)
    Playing & clean, tone are very nice in spite of some of the 'glitches'!

You've got some excellent riffs in there and I like the theme.

Was the guitar done in 1 take?

Larry
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:"Night of Lights" Instrumental AC jazz guitar 2010/11/16 16:46:57 (permalink)
    Very nice... I love instrumental guitar based mellow jazz.   The tone and balance is good.

Crits: the drums could be a bit more creative.  Also the guitar playing is very good in most of it. There are a few places where the runs are not clean. It simply has to flow to work, and it's tripping over itself.

There is no sin committed by using the punch in out feature when recording. Just don't attempt to play it live until you have it totally together.

I don't hesitate to use the auto punch to get some of my vocal or guitar takes...especially the twin lead stuff I do. I will rehearse the part as long as I need to until I get it perfect at least two or three times through. Then I will hit the record button, and it usually takes a few more tries to get every nuance just right. Solo lead is a bit easier...twin leads must be perfect or the slightly off time note shows.

Also, no one is there in the studio but you, no pressure to preform perfectly... so take your time, use the auto punch and get the licks right. Even if you have to do it section by section.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    vechung
    Re:"Night of Lights" Instrumental AC jazz guitar 2010/11/16 17:14:01 (permalink)
    Thank you all for the comments.  Let me see if I can clean it up.  For the drums, yeah...
    post edited by vechung - 2010/11/16 17:15:24
    mgh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:"Night of Lights" Instrumental AC jazz guitar 2010/11/16 18:30:23 (permalink)
    vechung, this is excellent. i really don't hear much in the way of timing anomalies. yes drum is a bit repetitive but it's mixed back and doesn't intrude. bass line is excellent. you can really play, there's nothing harder than trying to play clean, i know and am crap at it! give me the gain anytime!
    mix is great too.

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    Re:"Night of Lights" Instrumental AC jazz guitar 2010/11/16 22:15:18 (permalink)
    Playing is very nice. I like to try to do my guitar tracks as one session. I've found I like to play it as if I were just playing it without the recorder. Do a couple takes till you get it to a point you are happy. Sometimes you just have to walk away from a take and come back in a day or two to listen and appreciate what you've accomplished. Things don't always sound as good or bad as they do when your in the middle of it. I didn't really notice that much in the way of timing issues, thus I'm sure you are comfortable enough to get a take you will want to work with. Good luck.

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:"Night of Lights" Instrumental AC jazz guitar 2010/11/17 06:31:08 (permalink)
    Very nice sounding! I only heard one or two runs that got a bit chaotic. Otherwise I loved it!

String Jammer
    arlen2133
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 601
    Re:"Night of Lights" Instrumental AC jazz guitar 2010/11/17 22:13:29 (permalink)
    Like the song overall.  I did hear the timing "glitches" but overall a fun song to listen to.
    I agree that the drums are a bit generic, but once you do the change at @ 1:45, they get better.

Arlen
    aka
    Mr Grant
    my music

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Sonar Platinum (2017.09) & X3e , Windows 7 64 bit, Intel I5 3.4 Ghz, 32 Gbs RAM, Saffire Pro40, various pres and VSTi's.

vechung
    Re:"Night of Lights" Instrumental AC jazz guitar 2010/11/17 23:49:11 (permalink)
    Hi All.  I attempted to fix some of the timing issues.  Did some punch recording.  Yeah, those timing problems do stick out like a sort thumb and fixing them make the song better.  Thanks all for listening.
    Slow Marching Band
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1603
    Re:"Night of Lights" Instrumental AC jazz guitar 2010/11/19 12:34:40 (permalink)
    Much better Vicente!

There's still that part starting @1:30 thru 1:38 that needs a bit of 'fixing' as I wanted to hear it played smoother. (don't mind me..I can't play that fast) I know it's not fun to keep revisiting a mix.....

I do like this song and yer playing very much!!

Larry
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1