"Sunburn"

Author
Kuusniemi
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 490
2011/11/14 17:54:38 (permalink)

"Sunburn"

http://soundcloud.com/reveltone-co/sunburn Text from my blog: "The sun shines brightly. The pavement feels rough under your running feet. Jump. Grab a drain pipe. Start climbing. Gravel on the roof splatters around as you jump on it. You move again, running..." Sunburn is a track started out as something else than a track. I originally needed a loop to fill out the background of a radiospot. For this I used about an hour but then the loop started to sound pretty damn good on it's own. In the original loop I only had some atmospherics and the beat, which clearly were not enough for a full fledged song. The biggest thing about the original loop was the lack of a melody since it was not meant to have one. And that was the first thing I started to work upon. For the melody I drew inspiration from the soundtrack of Bladerunner. I kept it fairly simple so I wouldn't loose the atmospheric nature of the song. "...The sun light reflects of the glass and steel around you. Foot steps on the gravel behind you. They're chasing you. The roof ends. You jump..." After I got the melody down I started to work on the structure. I wanted to have this track rolling and not change too much, but still wanted clearly different sections as I imagined this to be the soundtrack of a Mirror's Edge like video game level. I wanted to have some calming moments, some dramatic moments and some parts that rolled forward. And all the time I wanted to keep a good pace. So I imagined different kinds of situations you could get into and began to mold the section according to them. "...A railing. You grab it mid air. Fling yourself over it. A fire escape. Kick the ladder down. Slide..." After I had finished the structure and mixed the track I still wanted to mess with it a bit. I popped the beats and the melodies on different tracks in Sonar and started to mangle them with Illformed's Glitch plugin. I used it to create new drum fills and section changes. I used it to stop the beat, reverse it, retrigger it and just generally abuse the hell out of those drums. And then I did the same to the melodies. To top it of I intentionally forgot about making clean and smooth cuts between the effected parts and the clean ones. "...Head down the alley and back into the sunlight. A plaza, people there. Blend in." Gear I used for this track: DAWs and editors: Cakewalk Sonar 8.5 Samplers and instruments: u-he Tyrell Nexus 6 Synapse Audio Junglist HG Fortune Serenity Free HG Fortune UltraSwamp Free HG Fortune Altair 4 Beta Cakewalk RXP NI KorePlayer Novakill Neokiller III Ummet Ozcan Genesis Effects: Cakewalk z3ta+ FX Variety of Sound Ferric TDS Illformed Glitch 1.3 MeldaProductions MEqualizer Kjaerhus Classic Master Limiter
post edited by Kuusniemi - 2011/11/14 17:59:31

3 Replies Related Threads

Kuusniemi
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 490
    Re:"Sunburn" 2011/11/14 18:23:13 (permalink)
    Bloody board doesn't let me edit the above text so here's a link to the original blog post: http://enterthestudios.bl...m/2011/11/sunburn.html
    evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:"Sunburn" 2011/11/15 14:50:58 (permalink)
    This board does allow you to edit your posts and replies.  Don't know why it's not working for you.   Hey, this is some wild music.  Things keep adding in.  I used to think that some of this tuff got boring.  Someone up here, and my wife told me that if I was on a dance floor I'd listen to it totally differentrly.  So, now I dance in my chair and wiat for the "thingys" you throwin.  Very interesting tune.  I like it.  Changes seem to come just when I think I need one.  Very perceptive. 

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    Re:"Sunburn" 2011/11/15 23:40:54 (permalink)
    Interesting stuff. I used to go to a club where stuff like this was played. It would fit right in.

Well done!

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1