"Superfluous" WITH Guitarbum & Wessels

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
darylcrowley
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2700
2008/10/17 08:28:02 (permalink)

"Superfluous" WITH Guitarbum & Wessels

This is gratuitous rock guitar. I wrote this tune a couple of years ago and finally got around to recording it.

Daryl - Lead Guitar, Bass, Secondary guitars, rhythm guitars, keyboards

Mark - STUNT GUITAR - The Texas Guitar Wizard is a MUTANT GUITAR MACHINE! I'm the one going 90 miles an hour, he's the one doing 120! This guy never ceases to amaze me and every project we've done together has been a blast.

If this doesn't rock you - you're already dead

Enjoy and hang on. We certainly enjoyed putting this together.

Daryl

SUPERFLUOUS
http://www.soundclick.com/darylcrowley
post edited by darylcrowley - 2008/10/20 09:10:37

Daryl Crowley
Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
Windows 7 64bit Professional
Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
http://www.darylcrowley.com/

34 Replies Related Threads

lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: Superfluous Guitarbum & Wessels 2008/10/17 10:31:43 (permalink)
    All's I have to say is that I'm so glad that I don't bother playing electric guitar anymore! How would I even compete with these blazing guns? You gents really do shine here. This is the best I've heard from the dynamic duo yet!! Hands down man!! It's just not the guitar pyro-technics here, its' the emotion, tone, and melodic playing that captivates me. Great, well thought out composition Darly! You & Mark really have that 'call & response' thing nailed for sure. It's not a competition I hear, but a compliment of each others playing style. I could give two s**** about the mix, the playing and song itself is what does it for me! And yes, the mix is good!! LOL! I would love to see you guys play out live... You made my day this morning, seriously!!!

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    RE: Superfluous Guitarbum & Wessels 2008/10/17 10:39:30 (permalink)
    wow really fun stuff!! really enjoyed the ride great guitar playing and shes quite a rocker....I'd just drop her a lil bit back in the mix as it kinda takes over the sound stage and you kinda lose the nice rockin back-beat

great tune!
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Superfluous Guitarbum & Wessels 2008/10/17 10:43:15 (permalink)
    Daryl,

nice tune, and good playing. The thing I like is that it's almost a clean guitar sound.... reminescent of a clean guitar sound played through a wide open stack... getting that tube & speaker distortion that comes naturally, but still clean...if you know what I mean. Lots of players tend to crank the distortion to the point that the distortion can cover a multitude of flaws. there's no hiding in a clean sound. nice playing all the way through.

Bravo!

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Truckermusic
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1924
    RE: Superfluous Guitarbum & Wessels 2008/10/17 11:40:35 (permalink)
    Guys

by Larry Hanson

All's I have to say is that I'm so glad that I don't bother playing electric guitar anymore! How would I even compete with these blazing guns? You gents really do shine here. This is the best I've heard from the dynamic duo yet!! Hands down man!! It's just not the guitar pyro-technics here, its' the emotion, tone, and melodic playing that captivates me. Great, well thought out composition Darly! You & Mark really have that 'call & response' thing nailed for sure. It's not a competition I hear, but a compliment of each others playing style. I could give two s**** about the mix, the playing and song itself is what does it for me! And yes, the mix is good!! LOL! I would love to see you guys play out live... You made my day this morning, seriously!!!

since Larry said it all.............I can only copy his remarks..............this is just fantastic...............

Cliff

http://www.soundclick.com/cliffordamundsen 
    NZXT Phantom Case (in Black)
    Windows 7, Service Pack 1, 64 Bit OP
    Sonar X3 Producer, 64 Bit 
    Asus P8P67 Pro Rev.3 MoBo
    16 Gig of Ram 
    4.5 Gighz
    Intel i-7 2600k Quad Core Sandy Bridge
    Unibrain Firewire Card
    Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface
    Mackie Big Knob
    NI Komplete 8
    Machine 2
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    RE: Superfluous Guitarbum & Wessels 2008/10/17 12:35:53 (permalink)
    oh...did i say Ben hayes and batsbrew had the rock/blues guitar market sewn up...clearly not! great stuff guys, loving the clean open mix, but obviosuly it's all about the ace lead guitar from Mark (great name ) wow!!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    musiccontinuum
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 636
    RE: Superfluous Guitarbum & Wessels 2008/10/17 15:11:57 (permalink)
    Really well done. I have to hijack Larry's comments also (hey, Larry thanks for the freelance writing for the rest of us )
    It's not a competition I hear, but a compliment of each others playing style.

The playing is obviously outstanding, but it's a true tell of great playing when one gets lost in the music more than the performance, which I did. The playing perfectly fits and the song really has a life of it's own.

Hat's off gentlemen.

Jon

Platinum 2016 (latest patch)
    Windows 10 - x64
    Tascam US-2x2 or Focusrite Scarlett
    DELL Inspiron 3000 (I3847-3846BK) Intel i3-4130 3.40GHz / 8GB Memory / Windows 10 64-bit
    http://www.joncoble.com
    darylcrowley
    RE: Superfluous Guitarbum & Wessels 2008/10/17 15:32:28 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone for Larry's kind words

I agree there is no competition here and I would be loath to compete with the rockmiester unless it was a jazz tune - and then Kenny would step in and make us both look bad. Music should never be competitive anyways, leave that to the sport jocks.

This tune certainly is right up the Texas Heat's alley though, and he always shines where rock and roll guitar is concerned. I understand his Strat is feeling lonely since he's shacked up with the Les Paul

mgh - I play the lead on this too, Mark's just the manic one

Glad you enjoyed it, we really did enjoy doing this. I'm just putting the finishing touches on a CD compilation and Mark is on no less than 6 of the 13 tunes. And we have started on a couple others that will be part of a Guitarbum / Wessels CD with Mark and I both writing and playing on all the cuts. And I very excited to have that project to work on. It will probably take us 6 months to a year to get it all done, depending on how Mark's arm surgery goes. Putting a knife to a guitar players arm is frighting at best, I know I'm sweating it. Let's all wish him the best.

Expect a few more tunes soon as the last of the new CD cuts are finishing up in relatively short order.

Thanks again, and we really do appreciate everyone listening to our music and your advice. There is load of talent on this site and you all keep getting better and better. It raises the bar for all of us and makes us all dig a little harder. Thank you all.

Daryl

Daryl Crowley
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Superfluous Guitarbum & Wessels 2008/10/17 15:41:38 (permalink)
    Impeccable playing as per usual guys. Delightful tones and licks throughout. Really nice composition too, holds the interest right to the end.

I do have a gripe though - the drums are too quiet, and the fills don't 'swing' with the track, - if you fixed that, in my humble wossname, this would be 100% proof.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    RE: Superfluous Guitarbum & Wessels 2008/10/17 15:57:20 (permalink)
    Yeah, this is very good. Very tasteful, and nasty bits in all the right spots.

I think I agree with James on the drums, (except for the "wossname" part, I gotta look that up first) it seems like the fills are 1 hit short of bringing right back into the slot. Minor nit though. Great stuff fellas, but then by now, I'd expect nothing less.

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    darylcrowley
    RE: Superfluous Guitarbum & Wessels 2008/10/17 16:25:20 (permalink)
    The drums are my fault, primarily because I'm a little thin on 155 pbm loops and fills. I was not satisfied with the loops I had but it's what I had.

If anyone out there would like to take a whack at joining us on this by doing the drums, I will send you a drumless track.

It's one of the areas I've worked on to get better at but still have ways to go. I never learned to play the drums and I wish I had because it would make any musician a better musician.

Daryl

Daryl Crowley
    Taylor_514C
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1215
    RE: Superfluous Guitarbum & Wessels 2008/10/17 16:29:11 (permalink)
    Great job - I enjoyed the groove and the guitar playing by both. There's some fantastic guitar tones and licks throughout.

Tasty guitar harmonies towards the end, and a killer ending as well with the organ.

Taylor_514CMy Music:

Maxprizm
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 824
    RE: Superfluous Guitarbum & Wessels 2008/10/17 16:44:12 (permalink)
    I am not a big fan of guitar rock instrumentals but man the tones in this are just Godly, great melody lines and it never got boring like most "guitar only" peices do for me. The playing is really exceptional. I'll second James on the drums. Midi drums are just pure evil.

Ed Edge

darylcrowley
    RE: Superfluous Guitarbum & Wessels 2008/10/17 17:09:43 (permalink)
    Drums are actually real drum loops. That's as clever as I get. I wouldn't even attempt midi drums. I need more really fast and really slow drum loops. It's hard to find good loops as most of them are just drummers trying to show off. Simple straight up beats and sensible fills are hard to find. To paraphrase Star Trek's Bones McCoy - "Damn it Jim I'm a guitar player!"

Daryl

Daryl Crowley
    Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    RE: Superfluous Guitarbum & Wessels 2008/10/17 17:15:43 (permalink)
    Daryl, take a look at SmartLoops. They have some new fast rock loops, with tasty fills. I like them because you get stereo tracks, in addition to individual pieces and overheads that allow you to eq kick, snare etc... individually.

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    tcaylor
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 701
    RE: Superfluous Guitarbum & Wessels 2008/10/17 17:26:15 (permalink)
    Wow!

Great playing, makes me tired listening to people playing that fast :)

Tom

My Soundclick Page

Sonar Platinum, AMD FX-4100 Quad Core, 8GB RAM, Win 7, RME Fireface USB, UA LA-610, Dynaudio BM 5A monitors, G&L Asat Classic, Peavy Wolfgang, 1990 Strat Ultra, Alvarez PD-80SC Acoustic
    nos rocks
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 110
    RE: Superfluous Guitarbum & Wessels 2008/10/17 19:12:38 (permalink)
    hi Daryl
    nice vibe going here
    i would be interested in the drum taking and i only live a short distance from you.
    i live near mcbain Michigan which is a few miles outside of cadillac.
    i have bfd2 which would kick butt on this song.
    i realy dont like the quality lost when shipping via internet and i have dial up but maybe its something we could meet at my studio and do on a weekend day or something.
    just shoot me a email timpate@esagelink.com and ill shoot you my phone#.
    tim

pc= custom built.
    intel core2 duo
    6600@2.40 ghz
    4 gigs super talent ram, windows xp pro
    gigabyte 965p-s3 mobo
    sonar7 pe waves mercury, urs, ssl,wave arts, antares,ni,and to many more to list. jackson gui
    m-audio fast track pro
    tdye
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1926
    RE: Superfluous Guitarbum & Wessels 2008/10/17 19:48:47 (permalink)
    Sounds ALL 120 to me. Great job fellas.

Tom
    http://www.soundclick.com/tomdye
    http://www.ourstage.com/profile/tomdye
    http://twitter.com/tom_dye

Dell Dimension 8400 Pentium 4 w/HyperThreading 3.2GHz, 3 GB Ram, Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM)
    Sonar 8 Producer Edition, Rapture, Project5
    dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    RE: Superfluous Guitarbum & Wessels 2008/10/17 20:04:38 (permalink)
    Yeah definitely not just a wank fest - very musical and tasteful!! Catchy even!!! Guitars were perfect and the bass line held it together.

The only thing I didn't like about the drums were the fills where the cymbals would get going and then when it went back to the main loop pattern, the cymbals just ended so abruptly it sounded unnatural. Usually when that happens to me I can often mask it by placing a single-hit crash cymbal at beat one when it goes back to the main loop.

But really, who's listening to the drums on this?? Great job guys!

Dave

www.soundclick.com/steakbone
    marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    RE: Superfluous Guitarbum & Wessels 2008/10/17 20:14:06 (permalink)
    Thanks Daryl for letting me play on this, I think it is among the best we've done together. And thanks eveyone for the kind comments.

Edit: Oh yeah, what Larry said.

post edited by marcos69 - 2008/10/17 20:17:28

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: Superfluous Guitarbum & Wessels 2008/10/18 12:15:21 (permalink)
    A Big Bump in the road!!!

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    theguitarplayer
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3523
    RE: Superfluous Guitarbum & Wessels 2008/10/18 13:34:34 (permalink)
    Hey dudes- awesome finger work for sure and a great sound to this. Made my fingers hurt trying to play along. Must be getting hand and finger arthritis or something. Nice mix and a great preformance from you both. John

Sonar X3 Studio, Acid Pro 7, Sound Forge Pro 9, Sonicfire Pro 5, Kinetic 2, Cinescore, HP Pavilion dv7, CORE i7, Q-740, 8gb Ram, Windows 7- 64 bit, 4 tb mem , Audiobox USB, Digitech GNX4, Gibson SG1 & SG3, Martin J65M, Washburn Custom Cumberland, 3 Marshall Amps, Casio 365 Keyboard, M-Audio Axiom AIR Mini 32,  Behringer Truth Monitors, Garritan Aria, EWQLCC, Alloy 2, Ozone 6, Melodyne 

http://www.soundclick.com/JohnRKennedy
    Mamabear
    • Total Posts : 8954
    RE: Superfluous Guitarbum & Wessels 2008/10/18 14:25:10 (permalink)
    OK, it rocked me, so I'm not dead. Great job, you guys!
    darylcrowley
    RE: Superfluous Guitarbum & Wessels 2008/10/20 08:50:54 (permalink)
    Doug - Thanks man.

Tim - Thanks look for it.

Tom - Yea, I'm probably mixed up. I use this forum at work and I don't have my stuff. That and I'm old Glad you liked it.

Dave - Thanks for loaning Mark out to me

Mark - You're one of my guitar heroes, it's a privilege.

Larry - Now only if I could be as prolific as you Thanks man.

John - Actually this does make your fingers ache. But it's a good kind of ache. You would think after 44 years of guitar playing that my fingers would have the kinks worked out, but I guess not.

Janet - So happy to rock you and you are certainly not dead and neither is your music. Thanks so much for listening.

I hope to get some tweaking on the drum tracks. Tim has offered to give it a shot so we will see what he comes up with and if we make some permanent changes we will run them by the folks here for sure.

As you know in the course of mixing all this stuff you listen to your tunes a million times. This is one of those that has never got tiring for me. I like feel good music and this one just feels good to me. Thanks for the feedback.

Daryl

Daryl Crowley
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: Superfluous Guitarbum & Wessels 2008/10/20 09:03:46 (permalink)
    Daryl

I totally misread the thread title here, I took to mean that a self-deprecating Guitarbum was doing himself down by calling himself Superfluous which of course would have been totally inaccurate. Doh, I get it now the song is called 'Superfluous'...

I wouldn't sweat the crits. on the drum track as I know plenty of players that sound like this when they are trying to shuffle and it's added a sort of naivety to the whole feel which kinda works in it's favour IMO.

FYI: Midi drums can be cool but it depends on who originally played 'em, and what you do with 'em afterward...

Mark's contrib is excellent on this and in no way is yours 'Superfluous'.

Great job guys.
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2008/10/20 09:06:55

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    darylcrowley
    RE: Superfluous Guitarbum & Wessels 2008/10/20 09:09:59 (permalink)
    Jon -

Wow, that never occured to me. I will change the post tag. That's so funny.

Thank you but now that you mention it, I really am a superfluous guitar bum. And proud of it The way I look at it, there are a million guitar players better than me, but there is another million that are not, so I'm OK.

I'm not sure why that title, it's a song title I wanted to use and I thought there my be a slight irony to it given that its a busy tune. Glad you like it and thanks for the Monday morning laugh

Daryl Crowley
    Mamabear
    • Total Posts : 8954
    RE: Superfluous Guitarbum & Wessels 2008/10/20 09:24:25 (permalink)
    I think the same thing every time I read the title. I'm glad I'm not the only one...
    darylcrowley
    RE: Superfluous Guitarbum & Wessels 2008/10/20 09:29:24 (permalink)
    Janet - This really is a hoot.

I'm seriouly thinking of changing the name of the tune to "SUPERFLUOUS GUITARBUMS" or maybe something that would fit The Enemy Planet CD (which is the CD that this tune will appear on.) such as - SUPERFLUOUS GUITARBUMS FROM OUTERSPACE. Hey, I'm open to suggestions.

Daryl

Daryl Crowley
    marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    RE: Superfluous Guitarbum & Wessels 2008/10/27 22:55:31 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: theguitarplayer

Hey dudes- awesome finger work for sure and a great sound to this. Made my fingers hurt trying to play along. Must be getting hand and finger arthritis or something. Nice mix and a great preformance from you both. John

Thanks John.

ORIGINAL: Mamabear

OK, it rocked me, so I'm not dead. Great job, you guys!

Thanks Janet.

ORIGINAL: Jonbouy

Daryl

I totally misread the thread title here, I took to mean that a self-deprecating Guitarbum was doing himself down by calling himself Superfluous which of course would have been totally inaccurate. Doh, I get it now the song is called 'Superfluous'...

I wouldn't sweat the crits. on the drum track as I know plenty of players that sound like this when they are trying to shuffle and it's added a sort of naivety to the whole feel which kinda works in it's favour IMO.

FYI: Midi drums can be cool but it depends on who originally played 'em, and what you do with 'em afterward...

Mark's contrib is excellent on this and in no way is yours 'Superfluous'.

Great job guys.

Thanks Jon.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    notnat
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5236
    RE: "Superfluous" WITH Guitarbum & Wessels 2008/10/27 23:22:00 (permalink)
    Cool tune... well played...
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1