Author
Bob Oister
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2766
2011/04/01 04:47:53 (permalink)

"Undone" (Modern Rock)

"Undone" (Modern Rock)

Hey, guys and gals!

This started out as a basic test recording of the new PRS guitar that I bought three weeks ago, but, 2 hours and 20 minutes later, this is what I ended up with.  I'm talking 2 hours and 20 minutes from a blank Sonar project to this test mix.

Please let me know what you think.  As always, any and all helpful comments, suggestions, constructive criticism and ideas are welcome and greatly appreciated!

"Undone"

128kbps MP3 on SoundClick at: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10471115 

or...

Slightly Better Quality MP3, First Song on Player at: www.BobOister.com  

Thanks in advance for your opinions, suggestions, comments and ideas!

Bob

74 Replies Related Threads

Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:"Undone" (Modern Rock) 2011/04/01 06:25:51 (permalink)
    Holy Rock Concerts Batman!
    Isn't it nice how new instruments inspire us to new heights? I love the drums in this one. The low-end compression is at a good level, which allows me to feel it in my chest. Love it!

String Jammer
    Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    Re:"Undone" (Modern Rock) 2011/04/01 07:44:38 (permalink)
    This is really cool Bob. PRS make some really great guitars. I have to agree with Scotties observations that this tune seems to have taken a different style of mix from much of your other stuff (Solid low end compression) nice and clean. It seems to have opened up the top end of the spectrum as well. It would be easy to add in really interesting ambient or light synth / guitar / organ ... Which in your genre, spectral real-estate usually comes with a cost.

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

vechung
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 818
    Re:"Undone" (Modern Rock) 2011/04/01 09:39:26 (permalink)
    WoW!  It really sounds great.  Great voice and guitar playing. A bit of P.O.D.  Around 2:13 when the solo comes it, there is a small break.  Need to smooth out the transition between takes?

http://www.soundclick.com/vicentechung
    https://soundcloud.com/thefoundandthelost

Vicente 

Sonar Platinum, Live 10, Motu 828, Ozone 7
    CreatingNoise
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1666
    Re:"Undone" (Modern Rock) 2011/04/01 12:35:18 (permalink)
    Bob,
      What a heavy heavy tune dude!  Man, those guitars are so thick.  Probably one of your nicest vocal mixes to my ears.  Very schweeet!!!   So tell me, did you get the SE Torero??? I've been eyeing that guitar for a while....active EMGS, Floyd Rose and that same PRS body and neck that I've got on my SE Custom (I think).  I have a hard time "putting Paul down" when I am playing.  LOL!!!!!

Congrats, post some guitar pics if you have time!!!!
    thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    Re:"Undone" (Modern Rock) 2011/04/01 14:32:57 (permalink)
    It's been way too long fer me Bob Oister fx....my first thought was "this thing has BALLS!!"

great job...down and dirty, up in yer grill, no BS....

love it!...and in under 3 hours?....f***....I can get Sonar to open in under 2!!...lol

Great job!
    philz
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re:"Undone" (Modern Rock) 2011/04/02 15:25:24 (permalink)
    Bob we know we can count on you to deliver good, solid rockers every time, man, and this one's no exception.  I'll join the consensus on the low end energy and the drums... really nice.  Loved it!
    CLEAN
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:"Undone" (Modern Rock) 2011/04/02 19:29:39 (permalink)
    What a sound Bob. I love this - a bit of Alice in Chains.

I've got a PRS -[ funny - it doesn't sound anything like that.

Very cool Bob.

THE PUGTONES
    Mark
    Kroneborge
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1300
    Re:"Undone" (Modern Rock) 2011/04/02 19:33:24 (permalink)
    Very nice mix and playing.  Melodic wise I didn't like it quite as much as "Face the Fire"  but then again I REALLY liked that, so maybe that's not a fair comparison.

Also, the new guitar definitely sounds nice.

Mathew

Hip Hop
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=213418

BreakBeats
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=219099

i7 12 gb ram, Komplete 5, Izotope Ozone & Stutter, Symphonic Orchestra Plat.

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:"Undone" (Modern Rock) 2011/04/02 20:31:03 (permalink)
    Good stuff.

It's all real solid and I wouldn't say anything except you asked... I'd rather just twist some knobs and hope you liked it... but here goes.

I like the snare tone... some times it seems a bit loud... it buries the guitar.

The cymbals seem just right.

I love the vocal harmonies.

The main guitar part seems a bit muted in the upper midrange... not edgy enough for my taste.

The smooth round tone on the guitar solo is really nice.

The bass line is kinda tame... maybe you could come up with an exciting figure at the turn arounds so the bass could pop right there.

The vocals are great, but I think I'd dare using a little more low shelf cutting to "float" the vocal up above the rhythm section... in a classic rock sort of way.

Or just ignore all that and enjoy it the way it is!!!

best regards,
    mike

Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:"Undone" (Modern Rock) 2011/04/02 21:03:11 (permalink)
    WOW!!  Wonderful!  :)
    Slow Marching Band
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1603
    Re:"Undone" (Modern Rock) 2011/04/03 04:23:33 (permalink)
    Evil riff Bob! This is superb stuff. I love how you always craft a really memorable chorus, and your turnarounds make me smile - top drawer.

James
    Bob Oister
    Re:"Undone" (Modern Rock) 2011/04/03 05:35:47 (permalink)
    ScottyTunes:

Hey, Scott,

How are you, buddy?  Hope you're enjoying your weekend.  Thanks so much for checking this out and for your kind words!

Yes, you're 100% right about a new instrument giving a huge burst of creativity and inspiration.  I actually bought the new PRS a little over three weeks ago, and only got to play it maybe about an hour total after bringing it home.  But, then I got slammed at work and ended up not getting to pick it for almost three weeks.  Now, I finally had a chance to plug it in and experiment with recording it, and BANG!, this song came out instantly, totally unplanned, like a bolt of lightning!  I didn't really do any mixing on it other than setting a few bus volume levels, and some quick, minor eq.  I hope it keeps me cranking out songs in the small amount of time that I've had to work on music lately.

Thanks again for giving it a listen and for all of your input in the past, I really appreciate it.  Have a good one!
    Bob
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
    Tap:

Hi, James,

It's great to hear from you!  Thanks for giving this a listen for me and also for your kind words and insight.

About a week or two before I bought the guitar, I had been doing some in depth mixing/mastering research after struggling with trying to get a consensus on the final mix of "Face the Fire".  After doing some serious reading, I experimented with some changes in my usual recording and mixing technique, and created a few new project templates with a some different eq, compression and effects adjustments that I had planned on trying.

So, when I wanted to test record the new PRS, I opened up one of my new templates, and just let 'er rip.  As I mentioned above to Scotty, I really didn't didn't feel like I had too much tweaking to do after the quick and dirty recording of the tracks.  Just a few volume level adjustments and some minor eq touchups.  I'm hoping that the changes will help me to be able to be more productive with getting songs actually written and recorded, instead of spending days and weeks mixing and remixing over and over, and over...........

Thanks again, James, I always look forward to your input and value your opinion highly.  Have a great weekend!
    Bob
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
    vechung:

Hi, Vicente,

Thank you very much for giving this a listen, and also for your kind words of encouragement, and your input!

I'm glad that you noticed and mentioned the difference in the shorter break right before the guitar solo.  Because I already had "dead stops" before the two vocal verses, my original intention was to cut the pause in half going into the guitar solo without completely stopping and losing momentum, but, ever since posting the song, I've been second guessing my decision, and was wondering if anyone in the forum would mention if it seemed awkward to them.  I was trying to make it slightly different than the first two pauses, but I may end up stretching out the break, similar to the verses.

Thank you very much for your input and observations, I truly appreciate your time and value your opinion highly.  Have a wonderful night!
    Bob

geeare1
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1906
    Re:"Undone" (Modern Rock) 2011/04/03 09:37:47 (permalink)
    Hi Bob,

Congrats on the new guitar! It sounds great!

Great song, playing, vocal and mix...all done in less time than it takes me to tune
    a guitar.  Not fair.

The harmonies make this type of tune stand out from the pack, IMO.
    Slammin' drum track, too.

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
    Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    Re:"Undone" (Modern Rock) 2011/04/03 10:12:23 (permalink)
    Real Alice in Chains vibe. Great chorus hook with killer harmonies. Drum fills off a titch in a couple of spots in the later choruses, but pretty minor stuff. After a second listen, I think the ending would sound cool just acapella "It would end". Good stuff Bob.

Randy 

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    Freddy J
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2348
    Re:"Undone" (Modern Rock) 2011/04/03 18:05:58 (permalink)
    You are the man, Rockin' Bob.  This a solid metal rocker with loads of energy for sure.  Your playing is excellent as usual and the vocals are wonderful.
    Nice one.

Freddy J
    Bob Oister
    Re:"Undone" (Modern Rock) 2011/04/03 19:07:16 (permalink)
    CreatingNoise:

Hey, Tony,

Thanks a lot, bro!  I really appreciate your very kind words, and also all of the great input and support that you and Tom have so generously provided me with over the last couple years.

It's really kind of a funny story.  I actually went to the local GC to buy another Gibson Les Paul, a Studio model that was on sale.  But I was kind of disappointed after playing it, although, It's probably only because I'm kind of spoiled by my original 1971 Les Paul Deluxe with the factory custom neck.  So, while I was there, I spotted a few different PRSs that caught my eye, and had never actually played one before.

After about an hour and a half of bouncing back and forth between four PRSs through two different amps, I ended up really liking, and taking home the recently updated and reissued PRS Paul Allender Signature Model with the new EMG active push/pull coil tapping 81TW/89 setup (shown below).  My Millennium Edition Reissue Kramer Baretta came with factory installed push/pull coil tapped Gibson Hot Rails, and I really love the versatility of being able to split the pickups in different combinations for a variety of different sounds.

I'm really thrilled with the new PRS all the way around.  I absolutely love the feel of the neck, the amazing playability, and the new coil tapped EMGs provide great active tone and ten different pickup combinations just from a push/pull of the volume and tone controls.  Oh, yeah, I also really like the cool "Vampire Bat" inlays instead of the usual PRS birds.

It's funny, I never thought that I'd own a green guitar, but the emerald burst finish looks beautiful, although the picture doesn't really do it justice.

Anyway, did I mention that I love my first (and probably not my last) PRS guitar?

Whew!  I really got carried away there, didn't I?  Thanks again for listening and for your input, and sorry for the excited, long winded answer!

Have a good one, Tony!
    Bob
    Kroneborge
    • Total Posts : 1300
    Re:"Undone" (Modern Rock) 2011/04/03 19:14:06 (permalink)
    Wow that's a really nice looking guitar.  My keyboard is just a plain ol black

Mathew

Hip Hop
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=213418

BreakBeats
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=219099

i7 12 gb ram, Komplete 5, Izotope Ozone & Stutter, Symphonic Orchestra Plat.

rhynosynth
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 520
    Re:"Undone" (Modern Rock) 2011/04/03 19:47:25 (permalink)
    Hey Bob. Great tune here. The guitars sound great but I do think there could be a bit more crispyness/edge to the power chords. The tone sounds deep and throaty overall and that may be sound your going for so just a subjective opinion. The drums sound dynamite and pummel out of the speakers. The best of all and what separates you in this genre in my opinion is your voice. The guitars kill as always but there are a million amazing guitar players out there. The delivery/phrasing on you vox are just perfect for this style. By the time the chorus comes around we know and there's no doubt she's come undone because you've laid down the facts.
    Bob Oister
    Re:"Undone" (Modern Rock) 2011/04/04 00:12:37 (permalink)
    thepogue:

Hey, Tom!  Me brudda from anudda mudda!  How's it going, buddy?  Doing great, I hope!

Thanks, man, I really appreciate your words of encouragement, and as I mentioned above to Tony, how much good advice you Distant Towers boys have provided me with over the past couple of years.

Yep, I think Scotty was right about a new instrument pumping up the creative juices, because I just plugged in and powered up, and the entire song practically wrote and recorded itself!  Riffs, chords, melody, lyrics, solo, and then about 10 minutes of track leveling and minor eq.  All done, that's it!

It made me extremely happy because for the past month or so, I've been working between 80 and 90 hours a week, and have had hardly any time to work on music.  So I'm hoping to just push myself to move faster to take advantage of even small amounts of time when I get a chance, instead of over thinking the process and taking weeks and months to get a song finished, or close to finished.

Thanks again, Tom, have great night!
    Bob
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

philz:

Hi, Phil,

Thank you, kind sir, for checking it out for me, and also for your very nice comments and helpful insight!

I'm very happy to hear that it sounds decent on your system, too.  I think my experimental changes in the low end on this have finally helped me get my past bass and drum conflicts and overall compression under control for the most part.

Also, thanks very much for the PM, I really appreciate that.  Have a great night!
    Bob
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CLEAN:

Hi, Mark

It's really great to hear from you!  Thanks for giving this a listen and for your very kind comments!  Coming from a great player like you, it really means a lot to me.

Yep, I'm lovin' the new PRS, and I know from listening to your music that you could definitely make a two by four and a rubber band sound great!

Thanks again, Mark, have a good one, buddy!
    Bob

radio
    • Total Posts : 2782
    Re:"Undone" (Modern Rock) 2011/04/04 02:58:04 (permalink)

Hey Bob I like the sound of this one , alittle bit on the hard rock mellow side .
    Drums sound great , guitar and vocals ! Nice choice of sounds in this song too .

Well Done ! Radio

jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:"Undone" (Modern Rock) 2011/04/04 10:47:10 (permalink)
    Great quick work, Bob.

The guitar sounds thick and chunky. Might use a hair more sparkle to them.
    Drums are too busy but what would I expect in 160 minutes?
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:"Undone" (Modern Rock) 2011/04/04 13:13:37 (permalink)
    Man, if you had put in another 2 hours and 20 minutes you'd have a classic rock song there Bob.

Actually I think you have a classic rock song.

Very nice.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:"Undone" (Modern Rock) 2011/04/04 13:29:22 (permalink)
    Another Bob Oister classic. Would fit right in with any collection of classic 70's rock (that's a compliment).

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    rockinrobby
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:"Undone" (Modern Rock) 2011/04/04 19:32:57 (permalink)
    You won't be disappointed w/that guitar. I would back this kick off a little, it's dominating in my phones. Not much, but a little bit. Great job for 2+ hours :-)

Mine is a 92 custom sunburst (center stage) I love that guitar!

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
    Bob Oister
    Re:"Undone" (Modern Rock) 2011/04/05 04:55:17 (permalink)
    Kroneborge:

Hi, Matthew,

Thanks for checking out this song for me and for your very kind words!  I really appreciate you giving it a listen and I value your input highly.

By the way, you really did a dynamite job on "The Time is Now" on your SoundCloud page, great song and a nice high quality mix!

Thanks again, have a good one!
    Bob
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mike_mccue:

Hey, Mike, how are you, buddy?  Doing great I hope!

Thanks so much for giving this a listen for me, and for your kind words and helpful comments and suggestions!

Yep, this song kind of just fell together on it's own while I was test recording the new guitar, and I really didn't do any mixing except about ten minutes of track leveling and a few high pass filter tweaks.

I actually ended up lowering the vox bus right before I posted the song because I thought they might be a touch too loud for this style of music, but I'm definitely going to try your suggestion about shelving the vox low end a bit to see if that makes them stand out a little more without overpowering the mix.

For the guitar, I purposely went for a little bit darker "scooped mids" sound on this one, sort of shooting for the Sevendust or Killwsitch Engage nu-metal guitar sound to give it a more modern feel.  I hope a few minor tweaks to the mix will get everything in the ballpark.

This was probably the second fastest I've ever gotten a song done from starting a blank project with nothing in mind but a quick guitar sound check, to a complete rough mix in a little over two hours.  I can only hope the next one is anywhere close to that easy to put together!

Thanks again, Mike, for your great suggestions and observations, they really do help, and I truly appreciate you taking the time to really listen and provide your input and ideas!

Have a great night!
    Bob
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Janet:

Hi, Janet, thank you so much.  I'm very thankful that you liked it, and I really appreciate your comments and support!

Have a great night!
    Bob
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Slow Marching Band:

Hello, James,

How are you, my friend?  Thank you very much for checking in on this song for me, and also for your kind words of encouragement.  Coming from a great musician and mixer like you, that really means a lot to me!

This one practically just wrote and recorded itself, I almost felt like a bystander while I was working on it.  I wish they all came about that easily!

Also, many thanks, James, for all the help that you and Larry have provided in the past!

Have a great day!
    Bob

tyacko
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1190
    Re:"Undone" (Modern Rock) 2011/04/05 08:03:28 (permalink)
    Bob,

Congrats on the new guitar.  I don't own a PRS yet, but sure would like to.

The guitars sound great in the mix.  The vocal is very well separated and sits in the mix very well.

My only concern is "where's the love for the bass guitar?".

Excellent work for only working on it for such a limited time.

Thanks for sharing,
    Tom

Our SoundClick page

ASUS P9X79 PRO, Intel i7 3930K, 32gig RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws, RME Babyface USB, GeForce GTX 550 Ti, UAD-2, Intel 510 120gig SSD Drive, Win7 64-bit, Sonar X1E 64-bit, Studio One V2 
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:"Undone" (Modern Rock) 2011/04/05 10:21:00 (permalink)
    lol you do know Paul Allender is the guitarist from Cradle of Filth?! I like the look of it, though for roughtly the same price i'd be very tempted by this one:

This is the PRS SE Torero, features active EMG and a real Floyd...

anyhow, fantastic song Bob, heavier than your more recent stuff, this has a great growling guitar tone, love the drum sounds too, i agree that the fill in the intro is a bit OTT, but other than that they are fine, mix is great...and the way your harmony vox come in is awesome!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Bob Oister
    Re:"Undone" (Modern Rock) 2011/04/05 16:28:36 (permalink)
    geeare1:

Hi, Gary,

It's really great to see you around the forum!  Thanks a lot for checking this song out for me and also for your very kind words of encouragement.

I'm very happy you enjoyed it, and truly grateful for your input and comments.  Have a great day, buddy!
    Bob
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

rsp-odyssey:

Hey, Randy,

How are you, my friend?  Hope all is going great for you!

Thanks very much for checking in on this one for me and for your helpful comments and observations.  That's a really great idea that you mentioned about the acapella ending for the final three words in the last lyric.  I'm definitely going to give that a shot, I think you're right on the money with that keen observation.

I actually did that with a three part harmony on my song "After Sunset" on my website and SoundClick, but I think just a solo acapella would be different enough and probably work well on this song.

Thanks again for the listen and also the excellent suggestion.  That's why I love this forum and it's members.  Everybody hears things differently, and sometime the simplest idea or change can turn into the icing on a cake!

Much appreciated, Randy, have a good one!
    Bob
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Freddy J:

Hi, Freddy,

How are things in sunny Florida?  I'll bet a lot nicer than the cold rain and thunderstorms that we're getting today up here in good old Pennsylvania.

Thank you very much for giving this a listen and also for your very nice comments!  I always look forward to and greatly appreciate your input and opinions on my songs.

Best wishes for a great day, Freddy!
    Bob

morenoise
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:"Undone" (Modern Rock) 2011/04/05 16:51:57 (permalink)
    Hi Bob, this really rocks, nice guitar btw. Did you tune down to create that heavy rhythm sound?

Greetings, Rik
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1