rapture question

Author
duglmac
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 94
2008/10/21 03:43:00 (permalink)

rapture question

I'm wondering if there is a way to use the pitch EG on the oscillator detune parameter for an element when it's in multi oscillator mode.

I can set a midi controller to control it, but I'd like to do it with a step generator if possible.

ciao
Doug

---------------------------------------------------------------
I don't suffer from Insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!

2 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: rapture question 2008/11/03 20:47:13 (permalink)
    I'm wondering if there is a way to use the pitch EG on the oscillator detune parameter for an element when it's in multi oscillator mode.
    That's an interesting question. You can't re-assign the Modulator envelopes to another parameter. But since detuning involves pitch, that process can be simulated easily. Note that using multiple Elements for Pitch EG control will 'cost' more in terms of CPU processing than the efficient multi-oscillator feature.

Here's an example of EG control, similar to a 5V Multi setup at a Detune of 30: Pitch EG Detuner.prog

E1 is the 'straight' reference pitch Element. There's no detuning, panning, etc.; just an Amp EG active.
    E2 & E4 are the 'negatively detuned' Elements. They're set for a shift of -15 & -30 cents.
    E3 & E5 are the 'positively detuned' Elements. Here, maximum EG detuning is +15 & +30 cents.

The five Elements are nearly identical. Each has an identical Amp EG and Pitch EG shape and length (so you can take advantage of Copy/Paste Envelope, or Copy/Paste Element). Also in each, a Pan LFO is active, with different Depths to mimic the Multi feature. Set the Freq to 0.00, and the waveform to Random Bipolar. Each new 'note on' will generate a new, random +/- Pan position, up to the maximum set in the Depth parameter.

Also in each program: A MIDI Matrix slot that randomly controls the initial phase position of each new 'note on' message.
    CC1 slots were added to progressively narrow the 'multi-oscillator' array towards center.

I'd like to do it with a step generator if possible.
    Another interesting programming exercise. You'd go at this in much the same way, with one exception.
    Unlike EGs and LFOs, you can't get the Step Generators to travel 'negatively' without some trickery.

Here's another program to illustrate: Pitch SG Detuner.prog.

5 voices, with a very shallow Detune 'spread' to +/- 10 cents. The Tune parameters in E2 & E4 are offset, to accommodate the 'positive-only ' design of the StepGens. To accentuate the rhythmic detuning progression, try enabling the Amp LFO and/or Amp Step in each of the five Elements.

For a deep detuning example, load up the Pitch SG Rhythmic Detuner.prog.

This one is set up for 5V and +/- 50 cents. E2 & E3 represent the mid-level multi-oscillators. Set these halfway to your maximum detuning in E4 & E5, which in this case, is -25 and +25 cents. This program matches deep StepGen detuning with Pan LFOs that change postion on each 16th note duration.

If you're feeling adventurous, enable the Pitch EGs for Elements 2-5. It's a good example of how EGs, Step, and LFOs add and subtract together, in conjunction with the Modulator's 'master control' and the MIDI Matrix entries.

I can set a midi controller to control it
    There is a cool trick that will extend the maximum Detune value from +/-100 up to +/-4800 cents.
    Choose one of the Multi settings (3V, 5V, 7V, 9V), and set the Detune parameter at the Element to 0. In the MIDI Matrix, add a slot lke this:

CC127 -> Detune All -> 4800 -> 0.0

CC127 will always yield the maximum Depth value: 4800 cents here.
    Added to your Element Detune of 0, your multi-oscillators will span four octaves in each direction.

Here's an example of it: MIDI Matrix 8 Octave Detuner.prog
    This uses a single sine .wav. The Multi setting of 9V, along with the MIDI Matrix value line, 'detunes' the voices in the following way:

Osc 1: down 4 octaves
    Osc 2: down 3 octaves
    Osc 3: down 2 octaves
    Osc 4: down 1 octave
    Osc 5: at original pitch
    Osc 6: up 1 octave
    Osc 7: up 2 octaves
    Osc 8: up 3 octaves
    Osc 9: up 4 octaves

This is reminiscent of the drawbars on an organ, but in this case, there's also a side effect. Due to the wide range covering eight octaves, there's also a 'barberpole illusion'. Most any octave that you play over the range of the keyboard appears to sound within the span of a single octave.

for an element when it's in multi oscillator mode.
    There is a commercial solution that I use. If you're using a host that supports MIDI FX, the Rhythmic Controller (part of the Frank's MIDI Plugins suite) will cover those other MIDI Matrix destinations. You can use it to 'build' step sequences, LFOs, and tempo-sync'ed envelopes that transmit MIDI CC messages. Then, it's a matter of matching that CC message to one in the MIDI Matrix source column. You can point it towards any parameter, such as the amounts of DSP distortions.

If you care to test it out, here's a simple program to work with: MIDI FX Direct Detuner.prog.
    CC1 controls a Detune Depth of 100 cents. Set the Rhythmic Controller sequence to output CC1.
    post edited by b rock - 2008/11/03 20:51:38
    duglmac
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 94
    RE: rapture question 2008/11/04 04:47:51 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: b rock

That's an interesting question. You can't re-assign the Modulator envelopes to another parameter. But since detuning involves pitch, that process can be simulated easily. Note that using multiple Elements for Pitch EG control will 'cost' more in terms of CPU processing than the efficient multi-oscillator feature.

Here's an example of EG control, similar to a 5V Multi setup at a Detune of 30: Pitch EG Detuner.prog

E1 is the 'straight' reference pitch Element. There's no detuning, panning, etc.; just an Amp EG active.
    E2 & E4 are the 'negatively detuned' Elements. They're set for a shift of -15 & -30 cents.
    E3 & E5 are the 'positively detuned' Elements. Here, maximum EG detuning is +15 & +30 cents.

The five Elements are nearly identical. Each has an identical Amp EG and Pitch EG shape and length (so you can take advantage of Copy/Paste Envelope, or Copy/Paste Element). Also in each, a Pan LFO is active, with different Depths to mimic the Multi feature. Set the Freq to 0.00, and the waveform to Random Bipolar. Each new 'note on' will generate a new, random +/- Pan position, up to the maximum set in the Depth parameter.

Also in each program: A MIDI Matrix slot that randomly controls the initial phase position of each new 'note on' message.
    CC1 slots were added to progressively narrow the 'multi-oscillator' array towards center.

Hey Thanks. I knew I could count on you for a 'long' answer.

I actually tried that with the multiple elements. In the pitch EG I moved the first node up to the middle level line (0.5), with the second node straight down tothe bottom and a depth of 20. I was then able to use the step generator to vary the pitch from the orignal first node level if I set the depth accordingly. It was an interesting excursion, and led me to use 7 elements. But, like you said, it's not very efficient so I was looking for a more elegant way to do it. I was really just playing around with the whole concept to try and figure out the guts of the machine.

I'd like to do it with a step generator if possible.

Another interesting programming exercise. You'd go at this in much the same way, with one exception.
    Unlike EGs and LFOs, you can't get the Step Generators to travel 'negatively' without some trickery.

Here's another program to illustrate: Pitch SG Detuner.prog.

5 voices, with a very shallow Detune 'spread' to +/- 10 cents. The Tune parameters in E2 & E4 are offset, to accommodate the 'positive-only ' design of the StepGens. To accentuate the rhythmic detuning progression, try enabling the Amp LFO and/or Amp Step in each of the five Elements.

For a deep detuning example, load up the Pitch SG Rhythmic Detuner.prog.

This one is set up for 5V and +/- 50 cents. E2 & E3 represent the mid-level multi-oscillators. Set these halfway to your maximum detuning in E4 & E5, which in this case, is -25 and +25 cents. This program matches deep StepGen detuning with Pan LFOs that change postion on each 16th note duration.

If you're feeling adventurous, enable the Pitch EGs for Elements 2-5. It's a good example of how EGs, Step, and LFOs add and subtract together, in conjunction with the Modulator's 'master control' and the MIDI Matrix entries.

I actually got it to work as I described above. But I didn't think of detuning each wave to accomplish the +/- from center. I'll have to try that just to play with it.

I can set a midi controller to control it

There is a cool trick that will extend the maximum Detune value from +/-100 up to +/-4800 cents.
    Choose one of the Multi settings (3V, 5V, 7V, 9V), and set the Detune parameter at the Element to 0. In the MIDI Matrix, add a slot lke this:

CC127 -> Detune All -> 4800 -> 0.0

CC127 will always yield the maximum Depth value: 4800 cents here.
    Added to your Element Detune of 0, your multi-oscillators will span four octaves in each direction.

Here's an example of it: MIDI Matrix 8 Octave Detuner.prog
    This uses a single sine .wav. The Multi setting of 9V, along with the MIDI Matrix value line, 'detunes' the voices in the following way:

Osc 1: down 4 octaves
    Osc 2: down 3 octaves
    Osc 3: down 2 octaves
    Osc 4: down 1 octave
    Osc 5: at original pitch
    Osc 6: up 1 octave
    Osc 7: up 2 octaves
    Osc 8: up 3 octaves
    Osc 9: up 4 octaves

This is reminiscent of the drawbars on an organ, but in this case, there's also a side effect. Due to the wide range covering eight octaves, there's also a 'barberpole illusion'. Most any octave that you play over the range of the keyboard appears to sound within the span of a single octave.

Nice trick.

for an element when it's in multi oscillator mode.

There is a commercial solution that I use. If you're using a host that supports MIDI FX, the Rhythmic Controller (part of the Frank's MIDI Plugins suite) will cover those other MIDI Matrix destinations. You can use it to 'build' step sequences, LFOs, and tempo-sync'ed envelopes that transmit MIDI CC messages. Then, it's a matter of matching that CC message to one in the MIDI Matrix source column. You can point it towards any parameter, such as the amounts of DSP distortions.

If you care to test it out, here's a simple program to work with: MIDI FX Direct Detuner.prog.
    CC1 controls a Detune Depth of 100 cents. Set the Rhythmic Controller sequence to output CC1.

I'll have to check that out.

Thanks again for the reply.
    Doug

---------------------------------------------------------------
    I don't suffer from Insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1