raw mix, acoustic-based song, mix questions

Author
batsbrew
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10037
2011/05/06 12:40:44 (permalink)

raw mix, acoustic-based song, mix questions

raw mix, acoustic based song,  mix questions

this is one of eleven, to be on my new cd release.

"High Time"

<<< song removed >>>

unmastered mix, dithered to 16 bit and then to 320kbps mp3.

how is this translating?

i really wanted the bongo track to be well represented, but now i think it's simply too hot.
bass guitar, i spent time rolling the low end off with HPF trying to get it to complement the acoustics, still need feedback on that.
slap back on vox's, but reverbs on guitars, does this blend well enough?
i rolled off a good bit of the high end off the reverb, and the delay.......

post edited by batsbrew - 2011/05/09 10:27:13

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

6 Replies Related Threads

Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:raw mix, acoustic-based song, mix questions 2011/05/06 13:53:22 (permalink)
    Gonzo:  I quite like this the mix sounds reasonable here and the tune has got a cool vibe.  I got the feel of the acoustic band America.

Only thing I can say about the mix is I would prefer to hear the bongos not panned quite as hard right as they are.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    Scoobie
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 263
    Re:raw mix, acoustic-based song, mix questions 2011/05/06 17:58:45 (permalink)
    I like the song, I agree with Wookiee on both things............"Cool Vibe"  Great way to put it Wookiee.

I think the bongos would sit better dead center...........
    Vocals sounds good.

I listened (interenet computer) with HS 50M with sub.  Mix sounds good !

Tim
    timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:raw mix, acoustic-based song, mix questions 2011/05/06 18:13:17 (permalink)
    I clicked and listened before reading your comment about bongos. Wasn't even thinking about them when I was listening. Read your bongo comment and heard them. Hah... yea.
    I listen on a laptop so bass is usually not there.
    I think it sounds great Bat.

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:raw mix, acoustic-based song, mix questions 2011/05/06 19:13:00 (permalink)
    Bat - I really like the song - great vibe - love the harmonic content, minor going back to major. 

On the bongos - I think they could be louder for sure.  Panned closer to the center, and then the two bongos (if there are two) separated a little more.  To me the bongos should be EQ'd to emphasize the highs and then the reverb on the bongos should be longer and louder to set them back and so the highs from the occasional bongo slap fade off in reverb.  The other percussive instruments could use a little more highs too.  Thats just what came to my mind initially. 

I love the tune - the vocals are really cool.
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:raw mix, acoustic-based song, mix questions 2011/05/06 21:43:21 (permalink)
    I like the song, and I think you're right about the bongos being a little loud.
    The bass volume seems good on my too-bassy system, so maybe it needs more? The tone of the bass sounds good and fits well, in my opinion.
    It must be the perfect amount of reverb since I can't hear it.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:raw mix, acoustic-based song, mix questions 2011/05/09 10:32:05 (permalink)

wookie
    thanks for the review!
    bongos hard panned.... check.

scoobie
    appreciate the listen.
    i tried the bongos dead center, and they step on the vox too much there.
    i want them to be pretty strong, but balance with the movements of the guitars.

timidi
    thanks for listening!
    you gotta crank this stuff up thru some LOUD speakers!!
    heehe

guitartrek
    thanks man, minor major, good ear.
    some want them quieter, some want them louder.
    it's funny, how that works, but everyone has something they like more...
    i have the bongos jacked with reverb, but i always roll a lot of the highs off the reverb, so it's not splashy....
    i'll roll the highs off a little higher, and hunt for that 'sweet spot'.

57gregy
    loud bongos, check.
    bass is the hardest. i changed it up some last night, think i found a better frequency for it to sit in, not as low, but with some mid definition.
    that way, it will translate on smaller speakers better.
    on my monitors, there's TONS of bass!
    LOL

thanks for listening guys, moving on now...

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1