"record" metronome not in sync with "playback" metronome.

Author
ThinAirDesigns
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9
2011/02/01 13:46:20 (permalink)

"record" metronome not in sync with "playback" metronome.

Folks, I'm new to HS7xl, but have been using Roland VS Daws for years so I'm not new to recording. 

I'm trying to get my feet wet with the PC based recording by recording my MIDI instruments (keys and Vdrums) and then using the sequencer to play them back while mastering my material in my Roland Daw.   Just to repeat, I am currently only using Cakewalk only as a MIDI recorder, editing platform and MIDI playback sequencer -- no audio at this point.

I'm on a rather new, rather well equipped ThinkPad and using a Cakewalk UM-G1 MIDI interface.

I'm an excellent reader of documentation, but am finding that there is much lacking in that regard with Cakewalk and have already had to utilized this forum.  Thanks in advance. 

Across the top of the 'track view' is what I call a "timeline" (not sure if that's the proper Cakewalk term).  It's got the measure numbers and the beat marks and when you hit Record or Play a "Now Line" (again my term) moves from left to right across your tracks and this timeline.  Additionally there is the MBT readout up higher which counts out the project.

If I hit "Play" (with metronome on), the clicks are both in time with the MBT readout and the occur where the Now Line crosses the Beat Markers on the Timeline.  All is as expected.

When I hit "Record" however, I get the requested countdown, but then as the Now Line starts moving, the metronome clicks are almost exactly in the middle of the Timeline Beat Marks and also the same offset from the MBT readout. 

I'm lost as to the cause of this, but it is sure putting a damper on any thoughts I currently have of recording.  How do I get the metromone clicks to go off where they should when recording?

Thanks
JB

11 Replies Related Threads

57Gregy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:"record" metronome not in sync with "playback" metronome. 2011/02/01 14:05:56 (permalink)
    Are you using the audio metronome or the MIDI metronome?
    If you're using the audio met and the stock computer sound card, you will probably have latency in the sound of the metronome.
    Since you're using mostly MIDI, I think if you use the MIDI metronome and let your keyboard play the beats you'll get better results.
    If you're already using the MIDI met, hopefully someone will be along later to offer other suggestions.
    By the way, what is your sound card? What OS are you using?
    Putting your system info in your profile signature will help us help you; we won't have to ask you every time you post a question.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:"record" metronome not in sync with "playback" metronome. 2011/02/01 14:56:50 (permalink)
    you're probably experiencing latency.  I understand you said you are not using AUDIO at all, but the soundcard and its drivers are the top reason for latency. 

what soundcard are you using?  if you're using the onboard soundcard then that will very likely be the reason you're experiencing this problem.

give us the info greg and I are asking for and we'll try to help from there.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    ThinAirDesigns
    Re:"record" metronome not in sync with "playback" metronome. 2011/02/01 17:16:55 (permalink)
    Hi Folks, thanks for the feedback so far. 

I'm using Windows 7 and the SoundMax Intergrated Digital HD Audio soundcard onboard a nearly new maxed out ThinkPad with 4gig ram.  Since I'm not recording or playing audio (just MIDI), I'm simpy using the UM-18 MIDI/USB interface straight into the laptop.

I am using the onboard soundcard but for crying out loud, all it's doing is playing a "click" a couple times a second.  Are y'all seriously telling me that my decked out laptop can't play a metronome? If it were the laptop soundcard, why would it work perfectly on "Play", but not on "Record"?  I'm not even sending it any MIDI data to process during this.

I don't want that last paragraph to sound like I calling anyone and their answer out,  I appreciate the feedback y'all are giving.   While it's quite possibly true, I'm just naturally and completely baffled as to why a $2,800 laptop wouldn't be able to play "click click click" on time when no data is being sent in or out.

Anyway, if it will solve me problem,  I'm interested in this "MIDI Metronome" option but that term doesn't come up in the help index and here is the only reference to it from the metronome help page:  "Select Use Audio Metronome and/or Use MIDI Metronome". 

What is the "midi metronome" and how do I set it up.  The MIDI instrument I'm hooked up to at the moment is a Roland Vdrums TD-12 module.

Thanks guys -- it's really appreciated the time you put in to helping folks.

JB

Beagle
    Re:"record" metronome not in sync with "playback" metronome. 2011/02/01 17:49:02 (permalink)
    well JB, as I said:  it's the soundcard and its drivers.  your $2800 laptop didn't come with a soundcard that was written for low latency recording. 

you can try to get the onboard soundcard to work better a couple of ways.  I did say we needed to know what you were using before we continued - IF you had a recording soundcard I'd give you different advice than if you had an onboard soundcard.  sometimes there are some things you can adjust or do to reduce the latency of the onboard soundcard.  but we have to know which way to answer you.

first, go to OPTION>AUDIO and see if you have a DRIVER MODE of WASAPI available.  if WASAPI is available, choose that one.  click APPLY.  that will likely reduce your latency with the onboard soundcard to an acceptable level.

if you don't have WASAPI available, then I suggest you download and install ASIO4ALL (google it) and then change to ASIO driver mode.  that will also likely reduce your latency.

if neither of those options work then you probably would have to buy a recording soundcard (regardless of the fact that you aren't recording audio) in order to reduce the latency.

to try the MIDI metronome, go to OPTIONS>PROJECT>METRONOME and change the output from AUDIO to MIDI.  but you have to set up the MIDI metronome for MIDI hardware output on the port and channel specified in that window.

ThinAirDesigns
    Re:"record" metronome not in sync with "playback" metronome. 2011/02/02 12:41:36 (permalink)
    Thanks Beagle.  Your time spent is appreciated.

I'm still trying to figure out what the "MIDI metronome" actually *is*?  In that case where does the click in my ear come from?  Is the click signal still generated from HS7xl and rather than click the laptop sound it sends out a MIDI note on/off to an external device?

Thanks.
    JB
    Beagle
    Re:"record" metronome not in sync with "playback" metronome. 2011/02/02 13:17:21 (permalink)
    are you saying you set it to MIDI metronome and you ARE getting a click?  if so, then it's probably routing the MIDI output to the MS GS Wavetable.  look at OPTIONS>MIDI DEVICES and see what you have selected for OUTPUT.  if you have MS GS Wavetable selected there, then that's what the MIDI metronome output is.

MS GS Wavetable is a "softsynth" that came with windows for playing MIDI files.  it still uses your onboard soundcard as its audio output and is probably still a problem for latency.

the MIDI metronome settings are for routing your metronome out to the specified port and channel.  if you have a device specified in the MIDI DEVICES then whichever one you specify as the port which you set in the metronome parameters is where the midi data is sent for the metronome.  for example, if you set up the MIDI DEVICES (using the INSTRUMENT routing) for MS GS Wavetable to be port 1 and set the metronome output parameters as port 1, channel 1 then it will send those midi messages to the ms gs wavetable.

if you set up the INSTRUEMNT routing for an external keyboard for port 1, then it would send those midi messages to your keyboard.

ThinAirDesigns
    Re:"record" metronome not in sync with "playback" metronome. 2011/02/02 13:57:11 (permalink)
    No, sorry Beagle -- the "click" was a question, but it was poorly worded on my part.

I haven't tried it yet (I had to go out of town on business), so I was just asking the question that *if* I use the MIDI Metronome, where does the click come from. 

It sound to me like what you are saying is that if I select the MIDI metronome option, rather than produce an audio click through the soundcard, on interval it sends a midi note and the device to which this is routed will the produce the click. 

I hope I have it right now.

Thanks
    Jb
    Beagle
    Re:"record" metronome not in sync with "playback" metronome. 2011/02/02 14:09:01 (permalink)
    oh, ok.

yes, normally that's what the MIDI metronome is for - for an external hardware synth to produce the sound.

ThinAirDesigns
    Re:"record" metronome not in sync with "playback" metronome. 2011/02/02 14:14:58 (permalink)
    Cool.  Thanks Beagle.  You've been great.  When I get back I'll give that a try.

JB
    Beagle
    Re:"record" metronome not in sync with "playback" metronome. 2011/02/02 14:29:57 (permalink)
    good luck

57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:"record" metronome not in sync with "playback" metronome. 2011/02/02 20:21:59 (permalink)
    In every version of Cakewalk DAW software I've used, I never had to do any setting up of the MIDI metronome.
    It always plays through my selected MIDI device to my keyboard. I saw where you could change the ports and channels, but why fix what ain't broken?
    I don't use the metronome anymore since I set up a template with a MIDI drum track. I could never hear it anyway.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1