record volume issues Sonar 7 Producer

Author
pneagle
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14
2011/01/27 21:40:14 (permalink)

record volume issues Sonar 7 Producer

I have 4 vocal tracks tagged to a bus and 2 audio tracks tagged to another bus.  When a solo is being sung the volume drops below where the bus is positioned and when the others come back into the track the meter pegs out.  This overdrives at one point and the sound almost goes away at another point.  I need help!!!!!
I am using M-Audio Fast Track Ultra and Sonar Producer 7.

1 Reply Related Threads

Rothchild
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1479
    Re:record volume issues Sonar 7 Producer 2011/01/28 03:03:37 (permalink)
    As I read this you are describing audio summing. The more sounds you stack up the more level you will have. If one person is singing at a particular level, cool, then a second person joins them singing at the same sort of level you'd expect it all to be louder right?

(to see this at work in your DAW, take some white noise in a track and set it's gain to -6dbFS, route it to a buss, buss will report -6dbFS. Now create another track of the same and route it to the same buss you'll note the buss now reports -3dbFS)

The way around having this phenomena be a problem to you is to make use of the huge amount of 'headroom' you have available in your digital system. Record your tracks to peak at -18dbFS on your Sonar meters. If you've already recorded the tracks and they're running 'hot' use the gain control on the channel to bring the level down so they peak at around -18dbFS (We use -18dbFS because it equates to 0dbVU - the zero on an old needle meter). This will stop your tracks from hitting the top of the meter and distorting.

Having this headroom means that you have the space to turn up the solo voice to balance it's volume against the louder 2 voices together. This is the rudiments of art of mixing.

Hope I've understood what you're getting at?

Child

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1