recording 2 electric guitars

Author
jorgito
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 45
2007/03/10 17:59:23 (permalink)

recording 2 electric guitars

how to record 2 electric guitar? and get the best sound. I heard something abaout creossfades?? Im using Sonar 3 producer edition

7 Replies Related Threads

soniclabsaudio
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 102
    RE: recording 2 electric guitars 2007/03/10 18:06:27 (permalink)
    Watch for bleed from mic o mic if recording them both at the same time live , if using a amp mic placement is very important to get the best tone. Not sure what crossfades would be for. They are used to lessen the change in sound from loops and tracks im not sure why you would use them when recording live?
    Jamz0r
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1725
    RE: recording 2 electric guitars 2007/03/11 11:46:57 (permalink)
    Are you confusing crossfades with EQ notching/blending?

If you are planning on recording 2 guitars for a song part, you might want to use EQ to allow each guitar track to have it's own space in the mix.
    Here's a paragraph from http://www.eqmag.com/story.asp?storycode=4821

Similar-sounding instruments competing for space in the midrange.

Solution: Separate similar tracks by using peak EQs to emphasize different frequencies, while cutting others, so that sounds complement and fill in around each other. On double-tracked guitars, for example, try boosting one at around 1.5kHz, cutting at 600Hz, and rolling off some of the highs starting at 3kHz. Conversely, reduce the other track by 2–3dB around 1–1.5kHz, and use a high-shelving EQ starting at around 3–4kHz to bring out more of its highs. This will allow both tracks more space, and create a better blend.

NW Smith
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 565
    RE: recording 2 electric guitars 2007/03/11 11:55:17 (permalink)
    When I record two guitars, I try to make sure that they sound different enough from each other so they both have their own space in the mix. (An easy way to do this is to use different types of guitars (eg. Gibson and Fender). Having to different guitar sounds comes in handy, especially when the 2 guitars are playing a similar range of notes. Personally, I like to do arrangements where the 2 guitars are playing in different octave posititions to "fill out" the mix. As Jamz0r mentioned, EQing is your friend when it comes to placing the guitars in the overall mix. Also playing around with the panning positions of the guitars ill help in giving them their own space.

post edited by NW Smith - 2007/03/11 11:56:53

My Website:
    http://www.marwoodwilliams.com
    My Music on Bandcamp:
    http://marwoodwilliams.bandcamp.com

Equipment: Intel Core i3, 3.2 GHz, Sonar Platinum, Ramsa WR-S4416 Mixer,  Focusrite  Scarlett 18i6
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: recording 2 electric guitars 2007/03/12 00:52:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jorgito

how to record 2 electric guitar? and get the best sound. I heard something abaout creossfades?? Im using Sonar 3 producer edition

This is exactly how to record 2 electric guitars. track 1 = guitar; Track 2 = 2nd guitar.
    To get the best sound is really up to you and your performance and what mic's you use and how you place the mic's that you use. This question is way too broad, and theres no easy answer exept, Good performance = good Recording.
    CJ

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: recording 2 electric guitars 2007/03/12 09:29:59 (permalink)
    Ho Jorgito.

Are you planning to record 2 guitars live? Or overdub two guitars playing different parts?
    Or having 2 guitars play the same part? What style/genre?

Need some idea of what you'retrying to achieve.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    rchristiejr
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1342
    RE: recording 2 electric guitars 2007/04/27 10:49:00 (permalink)
    Use different mics and amps if only have one guitar. This comes down to EQ.

RFC JR
    Pure Desires~~

jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: recording 2 electric guitars 2007/04/27 22:41:50 (permalink)
    use different pickup positions. play in different octaves or at different parts of the neck. use eq as mentioned above.

consider the arrangement - is there really a need for both parts to play the same notes? probably not. is there really a need to have both guitars chugging or riffing or wailing or whatever at the same time? probably not.

and finally, if you want a thick stereo spread, play the same part twice and pan it left/right. you get a nice thick sound and you retain mono compatibility better than by doubling a single track with delay. you might also try a multi-band compressor on one side of a doubled track instead of delay to get a wider sound. i've used single band compressors for that on acoustic but electrics are already compressed by nature and probably need a finer touch to get a similar effect.

- jack the ex-cynic
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1