recording audio tracks

Author
jpartrick
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 16
2008/10/06 23:23:32 (permalink)

recording audio tracks

Hi everyone. I'm a bigtime newbie! I am trying to get up to speed on MC4. I recorded several audio tracks in several different files and everything seemed to be fine. When trying to record some new ones in the same file or a new file I could only get a left or right channel recorded instead of being able to record in stereo. my mic is indicating a stereo input but I don't know what else I am missing. Any pointers?

7 Replies Related Threads

57Gregy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: recording audio tracks 2008/10/07 00:12:01 (permalink)
    Microphones and guitars are mono devices. Some older keyboards, too. Don't record them on a stereo track or you'll only hear it on one side. Use the mono or left input. Then you should be able to hear it on both sides.
    Sounds kinda nonintuitive doesn't it? To hear a stereo sound record in mono.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    jpartrick
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: recording audio tracks 2008/10/07 00:31:32 (permalink)
    Thanks Greg! I'll give it a shot. It's funny though, I was getting a wave file with two separate waves and then I must have done something for it to stop doing that.
    AnonImouS
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: recording audio tracks 2008/10/07 13:50:13 (permalink)
    Um... can you try and remember what it was to get it centered? Because I'm having the same problem right now, lol.
    Also, I'm using a Tascam US-144 mixer, and even when i record so that it's in two channels, it won't let me pan to the other side. So if i record it in the Left mic input, it won't let me pan to the right, etc...
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: recording audio tracks 2008/10/07 15:38:32 (permalink)
    I think you're sufferening the same problem. record your tracks as MONO not as stereo. when you record as stereo you have a stereo track with only one channel recorded, so you can't pan something that's not there.

if you have a stereo track which has only one channel recorded, you can split it into 2 mono tracks and delete the empty track and then you can pan the mono track into the stereo field. to split a stereo track, highlight it (it will turn dark grey) then select EDIT>BOUNCE TO TRACK(S)
    when the dialog box pops up, choose
    SOURCE CATEGORY = TRACKS
    CHANNEL FORMAT = SPLIT MONO
    DITHERING = NONE
    DESTINATION = NEW TRACK

click OK
    delete the empty track, pan the non-empty track to taste.
    then when you record new material DON'T choose the STEREO INPUT, choose LEFT or RIGHT depending on which you are plugged into.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Nutty
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2056
    RE: recording audio tracks 2008/10/07 15:49:41 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Beagle

and then you can pan the mono track into the stereo field. to split a stereo track,

What does this mean "stereo field". I'll have to do this with the vocal tracks that I use Melodyne Uno with. They always import back as a stereo file for some reason.

Thanks.

Nutty /Annette
    http://www.soundclick.com/atmmusic
    Using: Sonar 8 Studio; Band in a Box; PreSonus Firebox; M-Audio Axiom 25; Mics: Audio Technica ATM610, MXL 990/991; M-Audio Studiophile AV 30 Reference Speakers and many guitars
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: recording audio tracks 2008/10/07 16:05:37 (permalink)
    hmmm. that's a tough one. if there's no way to save your tracks from Melodyne as MONO, then you should just leave it as a stereo track. I'm not sure why it would do it that way, it seems to complicate things. try to check the manual and see if you can save as a MONO file instead.

if you are doing this for main vocals, then you'd want to leave it centered anyway, so if you can't save as a MONO file, then just put it back in the project as a stereo file, but don't pan it. if this is for backing vocals and you want to pan them, then you'd need to split them to mono and then pan each mono track.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: recording audio tracks 2008/10/07 17:36:08 (permalink)
    Funny story: I Earthlink/Google-searched TASCAM US-144 from the post, clicked on the Musiciansfriend link in the search results and was looking at a picture of the 144. I saw the 'Mono/Stereo' switch on the 144, and thought I has a solution for the anonymous one. Clicked the close button in the picture and things went crazy! The MF picture kept downloading-downloading-DLing over and over again. Clicking the close X didn't do anything, so I yanked the DSL plug from the modem. Then IE kept trying to connect and that was unstoppable, too! Dozens of times. Finally got Task Manager open and kept hitting the 'End Task' button until I finally caught up to it and everything stopped. Whew!
    Ran McAfee and nothing was found. Reset my security up a little. Then I couldn't get back online. Just got my modem started again, thanks to the support guy at Embarq. His instruction to restart the computer allowed the PC and modem to start talking again. MF is now on my personal don't-click list.
    Anyway, maybe the mono setting on the 144 will deliver a mono signal to MC for mono devices.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1