recording bass guitar direct..what else can you do to it?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
7-string_guy
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 430
2011/09/09 19:07:14 (permalink)

recording bass guitar direct..what else can you do to it?

ok...bass guitar for rock songs....schecter studio 5 plugged into a fireface 400.

to me, bass is bass. one of the least understood parts of recording to me.

i use plugins like compression for the peaks and an eq to fit it in the mix.  but...

what else can you do to the bass track? what are the options? can anyone point me to a good article or thread? thx

I7 2600k 3.4g on a ASUS MB with 16 gb of ram
FireFace 400 AI / Sonar 8.5 Producer / ToonTrack Superior Drummer 2
Alesis M1 Active MKII / Ibanez 7 string / Fender Super-Sonic
Schecter studio 5 bass / Boss Dr. Rhythm 880 , also Yamaha DTX full rack drum pad trigger system

52 Replies Related Threads

Justpickn
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:recording bass guitar direct..what else can you do to it? 2011/09/09 19:42:38 (permalink)
    Have you tried a microphone on your amp? Moving the location of the mic can have a huge affect on the sound. (hi and low).
    feedback50
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 564
    Re:recording bass guitar direct..what else can you do to it? 2011/09/09 19:45:15 (permalink)
    It really depends on the song. A few things I have done to bass tracks while mixing come to mind.... Use an 1176 like processor with fast attack to distort the bass (nicely) adding upper harmonics (warms the track and makes it a bit more translatable to small speakers)..... Mixed it on the same bus as the kick drum sharing a compressor..... Used a hint of triggered wah to give some motion to the longer notes in a ballad (mixed very low behind the bass)..... Slide the track back in time a few milliseconds to give the kick some room and relax the groove..... Compressed (actually ducked) the bass track with the kick to give more room to the kick via sidechain compression ..... Transient shaper (or compressor) to modify the attack or shorten the notes a bit when they are taking up too much space in the mix....
    I'm sure there are other methods I'm not thinking of, but these are a few tweaks I've done in the past. For me early in the mix I have to decide who wins: the bass or the kick, and make decisions accordingly. I've also used a speaker through a direct box as a microphone on a bass amp.
    post edited by feedback50 - 2011/09/09 19:46:59
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:recording bass guitar direct..what else can you do to it? 2011/09/09 23:52:08 (permalink)
    Top of the list of priorities for DI bass is to dirty it up. Distortion adds harmonics that you can then manipulate with EQ (and sometimes chorus) to help the bass poke through the mix.

I was on hold today, listening to on-hold music over my cellphone, and I noticed how clearly the bass was cutting through. Given that the cellphone's frequency response probably starts around 300Hz, it was obvious that what I was hearing were harmonics, not the fundamental frequencies of the bass guitar.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:recording bass guitar direct..what else can you do to it? 2011/09/10 00:08:15 (permalink)
    7-string_guy

ok...bass guitar for rock songs....schecter studio 5 plugged into a fireface 400.

to me, bass is bass. one of the least understood parts of recording to me.

i use plugins like compression for the peaks and an eq to fit it in the mix.  but...

what else can you do to the bass track? what are the options? can anyone point me to a good article or thread? thx

Unfortunately, "bass is bass" is why most everyone that thinks that way messes up their recordings when they try to record a bass line. LOL!! It's probably the most problematic area in recording, 7sGuy. You need the right monitors in your room for starters as too much low end from a bass will just kill your mix with lows if you can't hear it right. Another thing is to have a decent front end for a bass. Meaning, some sort of pre-amp and a really good compressor. I record bass 4 different ways here...depending on the situation and sometimes use all of them or some of them at once.

1. Right into the console: I take it right in the board, or into a pre-amp with a compressor in line and this sounds really clean and pristine. But, super clean bass doesn't always work for a tune so you need other options. But with this method, I like to run the bass in one of my channels with a Drawmer tube compressor and a Manley or even a Joe Meek pre. They work great on bass.

2. Direct box: If you're going to go right into your fireface, grab a direct box so you have a nice signal going in that you won't have to mess with as much as you may be doing now, without one. I like to always record a direct bass so I have a safety net to send it to an amp, sim or even a bass pre-amp.

3. PODS: The bass pods in my opinion, are fantastic bass pre-amps. The little black kidney bean POD does a great job and I've used one here for years. It's made for bass and really adds a nice touch if you set it up right. The POD racks are even cooler and I have one of those here as well.

4. Mic'n a bass amp: I try to stay away from this unless the guy playing really has a nice amp that compliments his style. Most bass rigs mic'd just sound bad to me unless the player and amp are pristine. So when I come across this, I'll mic up the amp and run a direct signal as well just to enhance it with a few other goodies. To me, unless I'm recording a garageband type bass guitar, that's exactly what you're going to get with a bass amp unless someone really comes in with a killer bass rig, nice bass and the person knows how to make love to the thing. Other than that, I much prefer going into options 1,2 and 3 individually...or some all at once.

Keep in mind, and this is extremely important. You can have the best rig and front end known to man...if you play bass like a beginner, it's going to sound...well...like a beginner. The next thing is your bass. I can't stress how important it is to have a really decent bass that is set up properly. It's not like a guitar where you can have a crappy set up or crappy guitar and bury it with distortion. Basses are very unforgiving based on the bass and how the player executes on it. If you have strings higher and lower than others, those strings will sound louder or lower depending on how hard you pull. Then you have notes lashing out all over the place and others barely audible. So be careful with that.

And most importantly, always track with new strings. That's probably the most important piece of advice I can share with you. There is nothing worse than the sound of dead bass strings unless you are purposely going for that old, dead, 60's type sound. You will have such a problem getting a good tone to work in your mix with dead strings...it's not even worth trying to record. Trust me when I tell you. The stuff I have shared here...if you take my advice, will allow you to get a killer bass tone in minutes if you know what you're doing. Without this info, you could be struggling for days, weeks, months trying to get the right tone that fits in your mix. So definitely give this some thought....I promise it will make a world of difference for you in the long run. Best of luck. :)

-Danny

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:recording bass guitar direct..what else can you do to it? 2011/09/10 07:50:18 (permalink)
    great post Danny - what about Amplitube, Ampeg, Guitar Rig after recording DI?
    post edited by Beagle - 2011/09/10 07:51:24

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:recording bass guitar direct..what else can you do to it? 2011/09/10 07:58:16 (permalink)
    Beagle

Thanks Reece. :) Yep,  Ampeg is what I usually send the DI to. Either that or one of the POD's I have here.

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    Re:recording bass guitar direct..what else can you do to it? 2011/09/10 08:15:48 (permalink)
    I'm generally agreeing with all the responses so far. Danny's comment about the real amp is right on! In the right hands, there is nothing better than a miked up bass amp. That trumps everything as far as I'm concerned. Unfortunately... unless you have a good amp and cabinet(s) and have developed a good playing technique, you're almost certainly not going to get good results. It's been my observation that when it comes to bass, playing technique is better than 80% of the equation and the signal path is the other 20%. I'm not sure the equation is the same for 6 string electric guitarists, in fact I'm sure it's not. A bass player with excellent technique will sound good through anything. A bass player with questionable (or no) technique won't sound good no matter what you plug them into. There are no amount of effects you can throw at it to make it better. With bass - it's all in the fingers. And YES to a little distortion!!!!!!!! (for jazz probably not ha ha) :-) PS - and by the way - I also think too many bass players are too concerned with the low end when they should be thinking and agonizing about the mids and upper mids. Dial away all that low end mud. DO that at the source. Some of the best bass tracks I've recorded were recorded through little low end guitar amps with a little distortion dialed in. Those 15's might be great for stage but are practically useless for studio work (my 2 cents :-) Listen to John Entwhistle.
    post edited by krizrox - 2011/09/10 08:32:46

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:recording bass guitar direct..what else can you do to it? 2011/09/10 09:20:59 (permalink)
    I enjoy recording bass direct.

If I want it to sound finished right out of the box I use this direct box:

If I want it to sound straight forward and ready for more manipulation I use this direct box:

Those preamps are good at capturing sweet sounding low frequencies.

Some of the funk players use every part of their personal signal chain, even their speakers, to get their tone...  so I still mic cabinets when direct doesn't get the whole story.

best regards,
    mike

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:recording bass guitar direct..what else can you do to it? 2011/09/10 09:56:58 (permalink)
    I'm in agreement with several posters above. 

The idea of straight in to the interface just sounds wrong..... no one would do that with a guitar, so why think that's the right way to do a bass? 

I support using some sort of a pre-amp or bass amp and either a DI or depending on the output options, using the pre-amp outs. Some of the bass PODS as DD pointed out will give a good tone right out of the POD. I use one for my guitar and have yet to mike it (but that's another story for another thread) .

The tone shaping and EQ possible with the pre-amps is what makes the sound. You would never walk on stage and just plug in and play. You always make some sort of EQ and level adjustments before you play... what makes that any  different in recording? Nothing.... it also needs, perhaps even more so, the tone and level adjustments so the sound of the bass fits the sonic picture perfectly. 

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    RLD
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1990
    Re:recording bass guitar direct..what else can you do to it? 2011/09/10 09:59:39 (permalink)
    I've played bass in bands and have a Fender Jazz and Carvin bass.
    That being said, I use Trilogy for its ease and consistency.
    When I open my project template, its all set ready for "R".
    I also like to add a bass plugin from Line 6 which I would do also if I used a DI bass.
    High pass eq, compression and a little grunge seem to work for rock.
    Couple samples...

Track 1   
    Track 2  
    Track 3  
    Track 4
    Rain
    • Total Posts : 9736
    Re:recording bass guitar direct..what else can you do to it? 2011/09/10 13:13:14 (permalink)
    Beagle

I recently gabbed the Ampeg SVX as a first freebie from IK as a mean to get the upgrade to AT full as my second freebie. After messing a bit with it, I must say that I'm glad I did. That thing sounds good.

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
    droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    Re:recording bass guitar direct..what else can you do to it? 2011/09/10 15:47:59 (permalink)
    My scheme is usually something like an EH Blackfinger tube compressor pedal into occasionally a distortion pedal with very light distortion, usually a reverb pedal with some light reverb, into either a Solo/610 or Great River DI input then EQ if needed. That will provide a nice tone that doesn't need any more tweaking in the mix as long as I've forseen the needs of the overall song appropriately. If I want it tighter, I'll go through the 1176 on the way in as well for more compression. Sometimes no pedal and I'll use the LA-2A and/or 1176.

But, with all of that, fingers are still the most important thing of all. Listen to what you are playing against, listen for frequency conflicts and optimal tone, and change your picking position or the notes you are playing to get rid of them and to get the right tone for each note. It can be pretty exacting, but it makes all the difference.

It's amazing how much you can change your tone just with your fingers. I will consider which finger to pluck with, angle of my fingers on the string, where to pluck forward or back, whether to pluck 'through' the string to fall onto the next one (more vertical vibration), or to do more of a 'hook' type thing causing a more parallel to the fretboard vibration. All those things are important to tone, and you can almost literally mix yourself as you play.

And, if you don't do that sort of thing, it can seem like no particular setup of the recording chain is correct, because there's always some sort of flabbiness or hollowness or muddiness going on at some point in the song. You can drive yourself crazy trying to find a magical EQ and distortion and compression that will make it right all the way through, when it may be that none of them will, because you are trying to use hardware to solve a composition and playing problem.
    post edited by droddey - 2011/09/10 15:49:21

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:recording bass guitar direct..what else can you do to it? 2011/09/10 17:03:03 (permalink)

unless you have a good amp and cabinet(s) and have developed a good playing technique, you're almost certainly not going to get good results.

I'd add a large room to that list of prerequisites. Recording bass in too-small a room can be frustrating, despite having a good amp and accomplished player.
    post edited by bitflipper - 2011/09/10 17:32:54

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:recording bass guitar direct..what else can you do to it? 2011/09/10 17:28:19 (permalink)
    As usual Danny has done a great post and it is amazing how similar Danny thinks to the way I do things it can be scary! I agree with Danny on this in that I have recorded bass many times and I am more often than not been happier with the DI sound. Even when I mike the bass cabs by the time you listen back, that track is usually not that great when you listen to it on its own.

But after reading a lot lately about the Beatles and how they did things back then I tend to agree very much with Dave on this. Recording bass cabs up close or in a too small a room is pretty hard. They used to re record a lot of the bass lines in the Beatles after hours with Paul playing into a big room and miking the bass cab much further away. Recently I tried this and I was surprised with the results. Not here at my studio but at the studio where I teach. Only because it is big enough to do it. Another option is to re amp the bass track in this situation as well even without the bass players involvement. Our studio is equipped with a Trace Elliot head feeding into a fairly decent 15" speaker.

You can get quite a large sound and it is good because it won't cancel out very much either with the DI track if you decide to use it. It is a time when the bass track could be used either instead of or with the DI track. You still get more detail in the DI track though especially down at lower volumes of bass playing.

I have been reading the 'Mixing Engineers Handbook' by Bobby Owsinski lately and I must say this is one excellent book and please I apologise if that fact has been mentioned before. There are some fantastic tips  on EQ ing the bass on pages 35, 36 and 37 of this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Mix...=1315689958&sr=8-1

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    IK Obi
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1549
    Re:recording bass guitar direct..what else can you do to it? 2011/09/11 15:42:26 (permalink)
    I prefer recording Bass direct and then throwing Ampeg SVX on it. It really is a great sound. You hear about a lot of different ways to treat bass and record it but Ampeg SVX is by far on e of the most popular ITB.
    Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    Re:recording bass guitar direct..what else can you do to it? 2011/09/11 16:01:46 (permalink)
    If you are going DI another great hardware box is the REDDI preamp for bass.

Jeff Evans, I too was intrigued by the Abbey Road Article in which they discuss amping Paul's bass a good distance from the amp. It makes sense as the wavelength for bass can be up to 16 feet long. But yes, you would need a large room to make that work.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    mattplaysguitar
    • Total Posts : 1992
    Re:recording bass guitar direct..what else can you do to it? 2011/09/11 17:39:29 (permalink)
    Ahh, I think I'm a little opposite. Unless the style of music calls for a nice sounding bass, I think in the scheme of things, it's not too important. Sure it's gonna sound better with better quality gear, but (provided the style is right) the average person won't notice. Never bother micing it, unless I blend that with a line (often run through my amp first). And the miced will have the lows scooped. I use a cheap bass. Like cheap cheap. I honestly think, for MY music, it sounds fine. There are plenty of bands out there where it wouldn't work, and a decent bass and amp is paramount, but just not always. I came up with my own weird technique of gettint consistent volumes on each note. Play with a very very thin pick. Pluck it hard all the time, and every note is loud enough. Again, the sound of it really doesn't matter so much in my music. Works for me. I highly doubt many would agree with this  which is fine, you all have your own styles!

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/mattlyonsmusic

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

IK Obi
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1549
    Re:recording bass guitar direct..what else can you do to it? 2011/09/13 11:48:27 (permalink)
    I get you! I used a cheap Rogue bass for years and it sounded great! :)
    batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:recording bass guitar direct..what else can you do to it? 2011/09/13 12:20:42 (permalink)
    i use a sansamp bass di.

i tweak the direct signal to have some gain, depth, and bite. i take that output, directly into a A Design Audio MP-1 mic preamp, and into a digital convertor to one track.

i split a 2nd signal from the sansamp, and run thru my mesa boogie guitar head, optimized for bass.
    i drive it hard, gaining tube distortion, and capture that signal using a palmer pdi-09.
    i run that into a dbx compressor, squeeze the piss out of it, and blend it into a 2nd channel.

i take the 2 tracks, and eq them so that the DI gives me more of the low-mid signal, and the boogie track gives me more of the mid-high signal.

there are no phase issues, because both signal are passing thru analog gear, and coming in at the same time. the only difference would be the length of cable.
    i use the boogie cab as my monitor for the bass, and play along with the monitors. it's almost like playing live.

i can then elect to use both tracks, or either one alone.

it all depends on the song.

sometimes, i'll get a hair up my arse, and actually mic the boogie 1x12 cab. that is a REAL interesting sound.
    it's more organic than the direct signals... but isn't as clean and distinct, as you would expect.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

michaelhanson
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3529
    Re:recording bass guitar direct..what else can you do to it? 2011/09/13 12:44:28 (permalink)
    I have been reading some of the same info on recording Paul's bass, it's very interesting stuff.  

To add a funny story to this.  One of the best bass sounds I have ever achieved was distant mic'ing a cabinet.....totally by accident.  I had a close up mic on the cabinet from an earlier session with the same bass.  Everything was already set up and in place, so when it came time to record, I just threw on the switch on the preamp and recorded the bass.  I was impressed by how well this particular take sounded.  It was n't until some time later, while messing with something else, that I realized that I had thrown the wrong mic switch and the mic that had recorded the bass, was in the middle of the room, some 10-15 ft away from the bass and pointed in the other direction.

I guess I need to go back and do some more experiments with distant micing.  I mostly record bass through a Line 6 POD these days and tweak with the amps in POD Farm.

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
    https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
    iTunes:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
    BMI
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:recording bass guitar direct..what else can you do to it? 2011/09/13 14:39:34 (permalink)
    It is really whatever works and is easiest.  DIing a bass through a Portico II with a tad of silk delivers a nice, full yet distinct bass.  I've also mic'ed the bass for a more distorted and cabinet sound.  Works too, esp. for more rock and rolla sound and is often how the player hears it.

But as always, it is more the player than the recording.  I tend to let good players dictate and try to stay out of the way.  On a fiddle part, I wasn't particularly impressed with the playing (the recording part was fine).  After finishing the part, the lines the player plyed worked perfectly.  That is not the first time.  Like acting, most in-your-face directing subdues a performance.  Unless you are Kubrick or Peckinpah it is probably best trust your talent.  Of course, that only applies if you are using the talented.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    7-string_guy
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 430
    Re:recording bass guitar direct..what else can you do to it? 2011/09/13 17:11:04 (permalink)
    wow that is a lot of info in soak up.. so thanks for that..

i might add: i am not a accomplished bass player. i just own a nice active bass with new strings..

guitar picks on bass strings......lol....this is the only way i can get my timing right. I've tried slapping the strings, but i'm not that fast. practice more i guess.

so, what is wrong with simply plugging the bass into the fireface? what does a DI do that the fireface does not. i send it in dry and do all the compressing and eq after.. sure i play with the knobs on the bass.. and listen closely to the sound in headphones and near fields.

anyone know a good plugin for the distortion idea? other than sonitus and cakewalks..

and would a teeny tiny amount of reverb hurt? real short..thx again

I7 2600k 3.4g on a ASUS MB with 16 gb of ram
    FireFace 400 AI / Sonar 8.5 Producer / ToonTrack Superior Drummer 2
    Alesis M1 Active MKII / Ibanez 7 string / Fender Super-Sonic
    Schecter studio 5 bass / Boss Dr. Rhythm 880 , also Yamaha DTX full rack drum pad trigger system
    tlw
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2567
    Re:recording bass guitar direct..what else can you do to it? 2011/09/13 18:44:15 (permalink)
    I generally DI like most people.

In my case it's bass->Q-Tron+->EH BassBalls->MXR Dynacomp (set to mostly just catch the volume spikes from the filters and get them back into line)->MXR Bass DI (running on phantom, not 9v - the pedal sounds better at 48v to my ears). Followed by further eqing, saturation and compression in ProChannel as seems decent.

The MXR DI has a good clean channel and a decent overdrive one but I don't use the overdrive that much (it's a bit too  fizzy/gritty rather than a "Marshall Major" growl).

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:recording bass guitar direct..what else can you do to it? 2011/09/13 23:08:47 (permalink)
    Nothing wrong with going straight to DI.  I haven't used the ff but it is ok.

As far as what to do with it afterwards.  I wouldn't use reverb on a bass, except for an effect.  Esp if your bass chops aren't excellent I'd automate the volume to smooth out the performance if it varies too much, and then use a comp.  Once again the soniutus version of the 1176 is a good place to start to peg the bass levels.  EQ it so it doesn't fight the kick drum (if the song has one), ususally letting the kick have the bottom of the spectrum.  But even if you don't have a kick, you can roll off the extreme bottom of the bass.  It may be there but mostly eats up bandwidth.  If you find upper frequencies to help it cut (and doesn't step on other instruments) you should be fine.

I, for one, don't like many digital sat/distorition plugs - I find it much better to capture those sounds during recording.  But it can help at times.  You'll just have to try, but I've found a little can help w/ the cutting through a mix like higher EQ.  But it depends upon the song and how you hear it.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Twigman
    Max Output Level: -38.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3667
    Re:recording bass guitar direct..what else can you do to it? 2011/09/14 06:00:18 (permalink)
    Danny Danzi

always track with new strings. That's probably the most important piece of advice I can share with you. There is nothing worse than the sound of dead bass strings unless you are purposely going for that old, dead, 60's type sound. You will have such a problem getting a good tone to work in your mix with dead strings...it's not even worth trying to record.
    -Danny

+1 - that is the best piece of bass recording advice ever given......and believe me, I've made every mistake in the book when it comes to recording bass......a brand new set of ErnieBall custom flats goes a long way towards fixing everything, believe me.
    http://www.stringsdirect...._45_100_50_105_55_110_
    post edited by Twigman - 2011/09/14 06:05:14

Become a Fan on Facebook
    Buy our stuff on iTunes
    Q9550-P5QL-E-8GB1066RAM-GT9800 1GB-RME HDSP9632-W7Prox64-X2x64
    michaelhanson
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3529
    Re:recording bass guitar direct..what else can you do to it? 2011/09/14 09:59:58 (permalink)
    I have been reading the 'Mixing Engineers Handbook' by Bobby Owsinski lately and I must say this is one excellent book and please I apologise if that fact has been mentioned before. There are some fantastic tips  on EQ ing the bass on pages 35, 36 and 37 of this book. 

Forgot to mention, Jeff, I have this book as well and really like it.  I read it several years ago, but after you mentioned the chapter on EQ, I went back and read some of these pages.  Yes, very good and useful information.  I am going to have to experiment with several of Bobby's tips.
    post edited by MakeShift - 2011/09/14 11:02:14

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
    https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
    iTunes:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
    BMI
    Starise
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7563
    Re:recording bass guitar direct..what else can you do to it? 2011/09/14 12:15:47 (permalink)
     I have been using  an ESP I picked up used. It has decent EMG pickups on it. All in all a nice middle of the road rock bass. I input it into my Presonus Firestudio. The input I use has a tube and also has limiting if I choose to use that. From there I am using the IK Ampeg SVX. I am getting good results although I have considered adding a DI. The one I have right now is pretty cheap...not Behringer but not Radius either.

If a DI is better than the tube inputs on my presonus maybe I'll try a few of those out.

I agree with Danni, the pods are great as well. I had the X-3 and am thinking about getting it again just for bass and a few of the other settings. I then got the HD 500 which is great for lead/rhythm guitar but not as much for bass.......I am slowly learning not to sell my old gear.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
    3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
    Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
     CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

Starise
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7563
    Re:recording bass guitar direct..what else can you do to it? 2011/09/14 12:19:05 (permalink)
    Twigman

Danny Danzi

always track with new strings. That's probably the most important piece of advice I can share with you. There is nothing worse than the sound of dead bass strings unless you are purposely going for that old, dead, 60's type sound. You will have such a problem getting a good tone to work in your mix with dead strings...it's not even worth trying to record.
    -Danny

+1 - that is the best piece of bass recording advice ever given......and believe me, I've made every mistake in the book when it comes to recording bass......a brand new set of ErnieBall custom flats goes a long way towards fixing everything, believe me.
    http://www.stringsdirect...._45_100_50_105_55_110_

Since I am not a regular bass player I'm not really sure what "dead" strings are. Mine seem ok. I think they put on a new set when I bought the guitar. I have a spare set I picked up when I bought it. Do dead strings sound obvious?

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
    3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
    Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
     CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

RLD
    • Total Posts : 1990
    Re:recording bass guitar direct..what else can you do to it? 2011/09/14 13:12:56 (permalink)
    Its just an opinion. I know bass players who hate new strings and leave them on forever. All depends on what you like.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1