recording guitar (dumb question)

Author
nodrog182
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 44
2007/06/22 17:02:22 (permalink)

recording guitar (dumb question)

I currently run sonar 6 PE and use guitar rig 2 in my setup.. I have an M audio 2496 soundcard and use a behringer 1204 mixer and DI box to directly record my guitar....
My question is how do i get a MORE crisp and clean sound while recording? Should i buy a cheap but strong preamp instead for guitar/ vocal recordings?? Will a preamp like the presonus tubepre, work better than my current mixer??

thank u anyone for ure help
post edited by nodrog182 - 2007/06/22 17:09:39

2 Replies Related Threads

Frank@ProSounds
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 199
    RE: recording guitar (dumb question) 2007/06/22 17:47:12 (permalink)
    Well, IMHO, the behringer is your problem. While they mean well...the method of mass production they use doesn't always assure quality...my experiences with that company's products have been hit-or-miss really.

As far as getting a crisp, clean tone....a preamp would help yes, but honestly, I've never found too much of a need for a preamp in the mix when it comes to guitar. At the old studio I was at, we'd just record DI signal and run it through various amps/etc. Perhaps you're talking about noise though....in that case, I suggest A)Better pickups and B)a noise gate specially made for guitar recording, or something to that effect. That should clean up your signal. Tone shaping generally occurs after the recording in my experience.

Peace 8)
    mmarsh
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 155
    RE: recording guitar (dumb question) 2007/06/22 19:27:28 (permalink)
    I would make sure that your gain structure is correct when recording the guitar. For the analog path, make sure that your signal is as hot as it can be w/o distorting. In the digital domain, that is not as critical, but I use GR2 *a lot* and I find that it very much likes a good hot signal coming in. Then make sure that the gain structure within GR2 is optimal. Each stage in the GR2 patch has a level meter and these should be used to optimize gain within the plugin. Finally, choose your patch wisely, tweak it to fit your mix and don't flood it with reverb - a little delay gives space w/o impacting tone, a trick I learned from listening to the likes of David Gilmore, Zappa, and John Scofield!

Mike
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1